Have I grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we are back to the original question

Yes or No?
No. At least, you didn’t grieve Him any more than anyone else when they first come to God.

That being tormented is satan throwing a fit over you having connected with God and so he wants to stir up your flesh because it’s the only way he can control you some. He yanks you around and manipulates you through your flesh, which means mostly your passions and emotions. THEN, he tries to make you feel guilty for having no control over your flesh so you will get caught in trying to fix it by your own strength. I got caught there for a long, long time. No bueno.

As for God not answering you and staying silent for a time, that’s extremely normal. It’s the true fast, in spirit and truth, and God puts us on it to begin exercising us in our trust. You will have more of those dry times of fasting and you will learn to bear them in trust rather than panic.

Last edited:

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Only God can answer that question. If it's direction you want then I think people can direct you properly.

Well isn’t that the point of having the Holy Spirit so you can ask God on behalf of others

I certainly would do so if any of you asked me if you had grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well isn’t that the point of having the Holy Spirit so you can ask God on behalf of others

I certainly would do so if any of you asked me if you had grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit
Speaking on behalf of God is only supposed to be performed by a prophet. And they only speak what God directs them to say. So I'm careful not to do that.

Most people have the Holy Spirit which directs their own life. It is not usual that someone has authority to direct others. God doesn't usually work that way. We are allowed to have "personal revelation and prophecy".

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am not talking about “directing others”. I am talking about doing the Christian thing and helping others.

Says it all when I would help you and you don’t want to help anyone

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well the important part of my post is I was spiritually attacked by Satan and received all sorts of messages in my head. I have been trying to ask Christians for an explanation but the ones I ask have reacted in an arrogant patronising manner which puts Jesus to shame.
Satan does not like new Christians and will do his best to discourage them from growing to maturity. And without the support of other people, probably in a church situation, it must have been quite frightening. Even in the life of a mature Christian the devil looks for chinks but we are better armed to fight these attacks. I think if you are still unattached to a church then you should keep reading your bible - if you haven't yet got one then there are plenty of online ones - and do what Jesus did when Satan was tempting him in the wilderness; he quoted scripture at the devil and we can do that too, that's why it's important to know God's promises. Hope you found this helpful.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not talking about “directing others”. I am talking about doing the Christian thing and helping others.

Says it all when I would help you and you don’t want to help anyone
Honestly I don't see that you've done anything wrong in wanting to be baptized. Also if the voices persist you should see a psychiatrist. And if you have thoughts of harming others or yourself please contact your local authorities.

Last edited:

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I’m really after is did I quench/grieve the Holy Spirit or not

I mean, if I had the Holy Spirit and someone asked me the above, I would ask the Holy Spirit and give its response to that person instead of my personal opinion or YouTube videos
Yes but many of us do often, that's where His loving discipline come in...

For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
(Heb 12:6-8)

I would also encourage you to seek a sound Church, where God's Word is taken seriously as God's Word...and immerse yourself in God's Word.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would my own mind all of a sudden go off the deep end and tell myself that Jesus said to cut my legs off

No, the correct interpretation is that someone was allowed to impersonate Jesus
A mind doesn't normally just suddenly go off the deep end. Mental illness is normally something that has a history. Indeed, Satan can just suddenly appear on the scene and make suggestions to your mind. But I think you alluded to a history of problems, and I do recognize the symptoms. This was a field I worked in for a time, and am not just speculating about this.

None of this is meant to be insulting. Mental problems probably exist in everybody born from Adam to some degree. That's why psychologists have long had a problem defining what is "normal." ;)

An inclination towards mental susceptibility to "illness" is likely inherited from the parents. It is just one problem Christians must deal with along with all of the assorted inherited problems, including physical, mental, and perhaps spiritual defects. It is an honorable thing to face these things head on, resisting the attacks of others who would define your experience as "demonic."

The real war may be in simply learning to trust in Christ, maintaining a proper spiritual attitude. When you suffer attacks like this, it is easy to fall into despair, become depressed, get angry, and lose your spiritual composure. It's easy to fall into a carnal state of mind. I wish you the best in learning to discern between what is the voice of God and what are the false voices of your mind.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So have I grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit and if so what should I do?
Believers are works-in-progress. We all grieve/quench the Holy Spirit from time-to-time. I am sure that we make Him face-palm, but if we have been Born Again, He is there to
  • convict us to repent,
  • pick us back up,
  • dust us off &
  • continue where we left off.
Don't fail on purpose, but God is not surprised when you/we do.

Do you struggle with OCD?

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

During the coronavirus lockdown I decided to convert to Christianity and since the churches were all closed I decided to self baptise

I was immediately “sifted” by Satan and subjected to all sorts of things in my head. I was a smoker previously and made me smoke even more

So have I grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit and if so what should I do? I recently quit smoking but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference
When purification occurs there is no question, because it’s not at the “level” of thoughts like questions & answers.
Well the important part of my post is I was spiritually attacked by Satan and received all sorts of messages in my head. I have been trying to ask Christians for an explanation but the ones I ask have reacted in an arrogant patronising manner which puts Jesus to shame.
It triggers underlying beliefs & discordant interpretations. This is a very good thing, as the beliefs can be inspected, resulting in the very purification you’re seeking. But you have to self inspect and understand what beliefs you still hold and therein, why that’s being triggered. By triggered I just mean a reaction as apposed to a consciously created response arises.
All I’m really after is did I quench/grieve the Holy Spirit or not

I mean, if I had the Holy Spirit and someone asked me the above, I would ask the Holy Spirit and give its response to that person instead of my personal opinion or YouTube videos
The Holy Spirit isn’t some thing someone has.
Well it’s more of a case of I was subjected to all sorts of messages from the other side in my head and since they stopped I have heard nothing despite my constant requests for an explanation/prayers

Some of the messages were things like

I was God/Jesus/Satan in human form

I blasphemed the Holy Spirit

Someone claiming to be Jesus told me to cut my legs off if I wanted to enter Heaven

Death threats from someone claiming to be God

Some sort of trial of my life with God as judge, Jesus as defence and Satan as prosecutor

There were a whole lot more but those are some of the main ones

You can ask the Holy Spirit if you do not believe me
These are the discordant beliefs coming up. Counterintuitive as it might initially seem, this is very good. It’s what you actually want, if you’re seeking purification. Also, don’t underestimate withdrawal, as that very likely plays a role as well.
Why would my own mind all of a sudden go off the deep end and tell myself that Jesus said to cut my legs off

Let go of ‘correct’ & ‘incorrect’. Notice these are thoughts. Feel the peace of not knowing.
Well if it happened to you wouldn’t you want to know why it happened and what the point of it was?
Sure would. I’d want to know exactly why.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like trusting the WORDS OF GOD and reading them in the context that they were given to understand them. Here is what GOD says about "grieving the Holy Spirit" in an easy to understand translation (because in this case, the "big picture" matters more than the "subtle details").

Ephesians 4:17-32 [NLT]
With the Lord's authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.​
But that isn't what you learned about Christ. Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy.​
So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body. And "don't sin by letting anger control you." Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil.​
If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need. Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.​
And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.​
Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.​
The context is Living as Children of Light.
"Grieving the Holy Spirit" (the bold, underlined part in this translation) is living is a way that brings shame to God - you are His child and God's children should not run around lying and stealing and out of control with anger and hurting each other. When one of His children behaves like that, it makes God's heart hurt. We (His children) don't want to do that.

To directly answer your question, from what you described, you did not "grieve the Holy Spirit". You just suffered; you were attacked.

A REALLY LONG time ago, a really smart Church Leader named Augustine said something worth remembering:

"God had only one child that never sinned, and no children that never suffered."​

The Apostle Paul put it this way: "So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, 'Abba, Father.' For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering." - Romans 8:15-17 [NLT]

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

During the coronavirus lockdown I decided to convert to Christianity and since the churches were all closed I decided to self baptise

I was immediately “sifted” by Satan and subjected to all sorts of things in my head. I was a smoker previously and made me smoke even more

So have I grieved/quenched the Holy Spirit and if so what should I do? I recently quit smoking but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference
Relax.

The battle is God's and we are only a part [by choice], which is to except the gift of eternal life and live forever. But the battle is already won. If you do not know the end of the story that you are now living in the midst of, keep reading of it. Otherwise, you have little more to do than believe that God will finish the good work that He has begun in you. And don't beat yourself up. Do your best, and be glad that you are looking at things differently than you once did. You are on the right path. Walk it out with the boldness of knowing that the battle is won and God will guide your steps.

You have been blessed--receive it as a gift.

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you still struggle with this question?
Well it’s been months since the supernatural stuff like death threats and still no healing despite countless prayers

I have been posting on another Christian board asking for an answer/explanation from the Holy Spirit as to what I am doing wrong but no one will ask. They’d rather flame me or express their own opinion

It doesn’t help when you get a message from Satan saying I blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Yes yes I know he’s a liar and all that but if that isn’t true then why am I not being healed.

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Well it’s been months since the supernatural stuff like death threats and still no healing despite countless prayers

I have been posting on another Christian board asking for an answer/explanation from the Holy Spirit as to what I am doing wrong but no one will ask. They’d rather flame me or express their own opinion

It doesn’t help when you get a message from Satan saying I blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Yes yes I know he’s a liar and all that but if that isn’t true then why am I not being healed.
Cheer up. I have been like that before. There is definitely an escape. This happens so that we would draw closer to God. Are you reading your bible? I know your heart is broken because of this and have you read that the Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is, I think, a very important point. Some years ago, when I was susceptible to a cultic Christian group, I was warned by them that leaving the church would result in a possible fatality. They taught that unlike other churches they believed in ministering the voice of God. Ignoring this voice could be fatal.

What disturbed me was that this cultic group had been associated with a very good Christian teacher and minister. And they seemed to have power, as they declared the word of God, and called upon Jesus in the name of the Holy Spirit.

It was difficult to extract myself from this group. But in saying they were better than other Christian groups, which I knew were good, I decided to expose them and to leave them.

To my amazement, they were like exposed demons, one leader cussing me out in vulgar fashion! I was doubly convinced I was right, that they were a cult. But the doubts persisted in my mind. The mind is a funny thing.

Not long afterwards I had a dream in which two demon-like beings approached me on a bridge. I fell back under their demonic power, and they reached to strangle me. I cried out, in my dream, to Jesus, and a bang on the apartment door next door woke me up at the precise moment I said "Jesus."

It is tough learning to deprogram our minds to not be susceptible to false impressions, particularly when they've become ingrained in us. But theologically, I learned that spirits can imitate the Holy Spirit, and even show power in the name of Jesus. But I learned that the "power" is not necessarily of the Holy Spirit, nor really Jesus. The false spirits have power, just like the Holy Spirit or good angels do.

And they don't have to appear as evil beings. They can imitate good, and so deceive. Watch out! Learn to rely on your reason, and not commands or suggestions. Your reason, working together with the Holy Spirit, is your best way of avoiding these problems, in my experience.

Beyond this, ensure that doctrine is connected to the power of God's love. Love doesn't deceive! :)

Thanks.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Abraham waited 25 years for his promised son, until he was so old, and his wife so old, they thought it couldn't even happen anymore!

Wait on the Lord, He will always come through. But it's going to be in His time, His way, and when we see it, we will praise Him for His wisdom.

Much love!

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Abraham waited 25 years for his promised son, until he was so old, and his wife so old, they thought it couldn't even happen anymore!

Wait on the Lord, He will always come through. But it's going to be in His time, His way, and when we see it, we will praise Him for His wisdom.

Much love!

No. I don’t have time to wait 25 years for healing from the supernatural stuff. I was perfectly fine before it happened and it’s much like expecting a bully who keeps punching you in the face to one day change his mind and give you an expensive Botox