He Gives Us Power To Be Sons Of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Genesis 1:14-16 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also.

John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

1:12 But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name:

The greater of the two great lights....Christ, lights every man in this world. But, does every man receive the Light? No, for the lesser of the two great lights....Satan, envelopes them in his darkness and the "darkness comprehended it not."

Those of us that receive Him, that believe on His name, are given power. He doesn't make us sons of God but He gives us the power to become sons of God. What is that power?​

2 Timothy 1:7-8 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto My two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

The power He gives those of us that receive Him, I believe, is...the power of testimony, the power of His Spirit teaching us, revealing meaning of His testimony. The many "two" witnesses are....sons of God.​

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Genesis 1:14-16 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also.

John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

1:12 But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name:

The greater of the two great lights....Christ, lights every man in this world. But, does every man receive the Light? No, for the lesser of the two great lights....Satan, envelopes them in his darkness and the "darkness comprehended it not."

Those of us that receive Him, that believe on His name, are given power. He doesn't make us sons of God but He gives us the power to become sons of God. What is that power?​

2 Timothy 1:7-8 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto My two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

The power He gives those of us that receive Him, I believe, is...the power of testimony, the power of His Spirit teaching us, revealing meaning of His testimony. The many "two" witnesses are....sons of God.​

Well... I am flabergasted! Here all along I've been believing the Scriptures. Poor me (yuk, yuk).YLT Ga 3:26 for ye are all sons of God through the faith in Christ Jesus,

YLT Ro 8:14 for as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God;

AV
Ga 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

AV Ga 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Satan, the lesser of two great lights? Where's that in the Scriptures?

The Greek Scriptures of Revelation 11:3 speak nothing of "power" being given to the two witnesses. That is a word that was added to the Book by interpretation and insertion. It is not in the Originals. It is even bracketed in the KJV to indicate it is an addition, not found in the Writings.
We ought to be very careful in what we believe. Our convictions can have very serious outcomes if not based upon the precise words used by God to reveal Himself to us.

fivesense

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Well... I am flabergasted! Here all along I've been believing the Scriptures. Poor me (yuk, yuk).YLT Ga 3:26 for ye are all sons of God through the faith in Christ Jesus,

Let's go over that one again.....KJV

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the CHILDREN OF GOD by faith in Christ Jesus.​

Children of God...not sons of God, remember, "beware of the scribes".

YLT Ro 8:14 for as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God;

AV
Ga 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

AV Ga 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

The quotes you gave (except for the one with the bogus translation) are those He gives power to. So....why are you flabergasted? :lol:

Satan, the lesser of two great lights? Where's that in the Scriptures?

The Greek Scriptures of Revelation 11:3 speak nothing of "power" being given to the two witnesses. That is a word that was added to the Book by interpretation and insertion. It is not in the Originals. It is even bracketed in the KJV to indicate it is an addition, not found in the Writings.
We ought to be very careful in what we believe. Our convictions can have very serious outcomes if not based upon the precise words used by God to reveal Himself to us.

fivesense

Go to [Rev.11:6] for there you see.....These have POWER to shut heaven....and have POWER over waters. I agree that "power" was added to [11:3] but we can certainly understand why....can't we or are you still....flabergasted? :lol:

As far as "Satan, the lesser of two great lights? Where's that in the Scriptures?" It was revealed by the Spirit and is "based upon the precise words used by God to reveal Himself to us."

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
<B>Let's go over that one again.....KJV

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the CHILDREN OF GOD by faith in Christ Jesus.
Children of God...not sons of God, remember, "beware of the scribes". </B>

The quotes you gave (except for the one with the bogus translation) are those He gives power to. So....why are you flabergasted?
laugh.gif

Go to [Rev.11:6] for there you see.....These have POWER to shut heaven....and have POWER over waters. I agree that "power" was added to [11:3] but we can certainly understand why....can't we or are you still....flabergasted?
laugh.gif

As far as "Satan, the lesser of two great lights? Where's that in the Scriptures?" It was revealed by the Spirit and is "based upon the precise words used by God to reveal Himself to us."

Hi Whirlwind,
I am not a scholar, I study the Scriptures. I use the King James Version, the Young's Literal Translation, and the Concordant Literal New Testament Translation, along with the Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament and the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. I need these.

I rely on the three most ancient Greek Manuscripts for reliability in the above translations. I cannot read Greek, but that is not needed for any of us; the knowlege of the Greek language is universal now. Often, when the translators were uncertain of the meaning of a word, they would supply the meaning based on their interpretation. This is fine and needed, but it is not necessarily accurate. Only the student can determine the meaning of a word as it is used in its context. The word remains the same in an accurate version, but the meaning may change in its usage in a passage.

The Greek word "huios" means "son",AV Mt 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
AV Mt 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

These are some examples of its usage. The Greek word for child is "paidion", G3813

AV Mt 2:14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
AV Mt 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Galatians 3:26 uses the word "huios" G5207

I will not disagree with the inspired Word. It means son, not child. It is better to believe God, than to not. If He said it, we are in no position to argue with Him.

As to using a "bogus translation"...Beyond the slur intended, I believe most pastors and teachers would heartily recommend the practice, if not use it themselves, of quoting the Young's Concordant renderings. It is fully trusted by all who rely on it, to provide accurracy and location of words in the Scriptures, although it is a KJV module. If you are referring to the KJV, I might agree with you, if I didn't know it in and out. It is quite accurate in most places of translation, but it is also filled with a disagreeable amount of interpretations, substitutions and insertions that can be very vexing during study times, creating distractions and confusion. Hence the need of concordantly examining a word in the Greek, everywhere it is used in the Bible. That is the only way to obtain God's mind on what He has spoken to us on areas of doubt or confusion.

Finally, begging your attention and patience, Revelation 11:6 does not use the Greek word,"dunamis", which is the word for "power", it uses the word "exuosia", which is correctly rendered "authority".

AV Mt 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power (dunamai)of God.
AV Lk 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power (dunamai)of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

AV Re 11:6 These have power (exousia)to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power(exousia) over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will

These two words are not interchangable, nor do they mean the same thing. Black is not white, and white is not black. This will be realized through a concordant study. This takes time and effort, which may be a sacrifice of too great a magnitude for many, to their own loss. Buy the truth, and sell it not.

As to the Satan thing? How am I to receive this response, thank you for helping me to know the word of God, and for directing me to the answer? O.K., thank you.
fivesense

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Hi Whirlwind,
I am not a scholar, I study the Scriptures. I use the King James Version, the Young's Literal Translation, and the Concordant Literal New Testament Translation, along with the Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament and the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. I need these.

I rely on the three most ancient Greek Manuscripts for reliability in the above translations. I cannot read Greek, but that is not needed for any of us; the knowlege of the Greek language is universal now. Often, when the translators were uncertain of the meaning of a word, they would supply the meaning based on their interpretation. This is fine and needed, but it is not necessarily accurate. Only the student can determine the meaning of a word as it is used in its context. The word remains the same in an accurate version, but the meaning may change in its usage in a passage.

The Greek word "huios" means "son",AV Mt 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
AV Mt 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

These are some examples of its usage. The Greek word for child is "paidion", G3813

AV Mt 2:14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
AV Mt 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I will not disagree with the inspired Word. It means son, not child. It is better to believe God, than to not. If He said it, we are in no position to argue with Him.

As to using a "bogus translation"...Beyond the slur intended, I believe most pastors and teachers would heartily recommend the practice, if not use it themselves, of quoting the Young's Concordant renderings. It is fully trusted by all who rely on it, to provide accurracy and location of words in the Scriptures, although it is a KJV module. If you are referring to the KJV, I might agree with you, if I didn't know it in and out. It is quite accurate in most places of translation, but it is also filled with a disagreeable amount of interpretations, substitutions and insertions that can be very vexing during study times, creating distractions and confusion. Hence the need of concordantly examining a word in the Greek, everywhere it is used in the Bible. That is the only way to obtain God's mind on what He has spoken to us on areas of doubt or confusion.

Finally, begging your attention and patience, Revelation 11:6 does not use the Greek word,"dunamis", which is the word for "power", it uses the word "exuosia", which is correctly rendered "authority".

AV Mt 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power (dunamai)of God.
AV Lk 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power (dunamai)of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

AV Re 11:6 These have power (exousia)to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power(exousia) over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will

These two words are not interchangable, nor do they mean the same thing. Black is not white, and white is not black. This will be realized through a concordant study. This takes time and effort, which may be a sacrifice of too great a magnitude for many, to their own loss. Buy the truth, and sell it not.

As to the Satan thing? How am I to receive this response, thank you for helping me to know the word of God, and for directing me to the answer? O.K., thank you.
fivesense

[/indent]

Here is the word study for you:
G1849

ἐξουσία
exousía; gen. exousías, fem. noun from éxesti (G1832), it is permissible, allowed. Permission, authority, right, liberty, power to do something (Act_26:12). As éxesti denies the presence of a hindrance, it may be used either of the capability or the right to do a certain action. The words éxesti and exousía combine the two ideas of right and might. As far as right, authority, or capability is concerned, it involves ability, power, strength (dúnamis [G1411]) as in Mat_9:8; Mat_28:18.

(I) The power of doing something, ability, faculty (Mat_9:8; Joh_19:11; Act_8:19; Rev_13:12). Followed by the gen. art. and the pres. inf. (Luk_10:19); by the pres. inf. (Mat_9:6, i.e., He is able to forgive; Mar_2:10; Luk_5:24; Joh_5:27); by the aor. inf. (Luk_12:5; Joh_10:18; Joh_19:10; Rev_9:10). With the meaning of strength, force, efficiency (Mat_7:29; Mar_1:22; Rev_9:3, Rev_9:19), with the prep. en (G1722), in, and the dat., en exousía as adjunct, powerful (Luk_4:32); with the prep. katá (G2596), according to, kat’ exousían being equivalent to en exousía, as adv., i.e., with intensive strength, with point and effect (Mar_1:27 [cf. Luk_4:36]).

(II) Power of doing or not doing, i.e., license, liberty, free choice (Act_1:7; Act_5:4; Rom_9:21; 1Co_7:37, "if it stands in his own free will" [a.t.]; 1Co_8:9; 1Co_9:4-6, 1Co_9:12, 1Co_9:18; 2Th_3:9; Rev_22:14).

(III) Power as entrusted, i.e., commission, authority, right, full power (Mat_8:9; Mat_21:23-24, Mat_21:27; Mar_3:15; Mar_11:28-29, Mar_11:33; Luk_20:2, Luk_20:8; Joh_1:12; Act_9:14; Act_26:10, Act_26:12; 2Co_10:8; 2Co_13:10; Heb_13:10; Rev_13:5).

(IV) Power over persons and things, dominion, authority, rule.

(A) Particularly and generally (Mat_28:18, "Unto me was given all authority in heaven and on earth" [a.t.]; Mar_13:34; Luk_7:8, i.e., subject to authority, rule; Jud_1:25; Rev_13:2, Rev_13:4; Rev_17:12-13; Rev_18:1; Sept.: Psa_136:8-9; Dan_3:33; Dan_4:31). Before the gen. of person to whom the power belongs (Luk_20:20; Luk_22:53, "of darkness"; Act_26:18, "the power of Satan"; Col_1:13; Rev_12:10, "the authority of Christ" [a.t.]). Followed by the gen. of the object subjected to the power (Mat_10:1; Mar_6:7, "power over unclean spirits"; Joh_17:2). Followed by epí (G1901), upon, with the gen. (Rev_2:26, "power over"; Rev_11:6; Rev_14:18; Rev_20:6); by epí, with the acc. in the same sense (Luk_9:1; Rev_6:8; Rev_13:7; Rev_16:9); by the inf. with hṓste (G5620), so that, implied (Rev_11:6 [cf. Mat_10:1]); by epánō (G1883), on, with the gen. (Luk_19:17).

(B ) As a metonym used for: (1) What is subject to one's rule, dominion, domain, jurisdiction (Luk_4:6; Luk_23:7; Sept.: 2Ki_20:13; Psa_114:2). (2) In pl. or coll., those invested with power as the powers of rulers, magistrates (Luk_12:11; Rom_13:1-3; Tit_3:1). For the celestial and infernal powers, princes, potentates, e.g., angels, archangels (Eph_1:21; Eph_3:10; Col_1:16; Col_2:10; 1Pe_3:22); demons (Eph_6:12; Col_2:15). See aḗr (G109), air, in Eph_2:2. Generally of the powerful adversaries of the gospel (1Co_15:24 [cf. archḗ {G746}, principality]). (3) In 1Co_11:10, where exousía is used as an emblem of power, i.e., a veil or covering (cf. 1Co_11:13, 1Co_11:16) as an emblem of subjection to the power of a husband, a token of modest adherence to duties and usages established by law or custom lest spies or evil-minded persons should take advantage of any impropriety in the meetings of the Christians (cf. timḗ [G5092], honor).
Syn.: krátos (G2904), dominion; dúnamis (G1411), power. Exousía denotes the executive power while archḗ (G746), rule, represents the authority granting the power.
Deriv.: exousiázō (G1850), to exercise authority.
Ant.: asthéneia (G769), weakness.

Since they have the "authority" to stop the rain, etc I don't think many will quibble over the word power.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Hi Whirlwind,

Slur? Is "bogus translation" in the same category as "I'm flabergasted?" :) Why I believe it is so....truce???

I'm glad you don't disagree with the inspired Word for I don't either. I stopped caring what "most pastors and teachers recommend" and I find that "the only way to obtain God's mind" is to allow His Spirit to open understanding...both through the Word and what He has spoken to other children of God. There are many children of God but there are few termed man child and they are the sons of God. Hence....

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.​

The many called are children of God. The chosen few are the man child. They are chosen for a specific purpose and that is to help the many called. They are the firstfruits born in the last generation....last shall be first.

fivesense

[/indent]

I find no reason to add anything to the most excellent scholary post of JERRY JOHNSON for he admirably covererd the "power" subject....thank you Jerry. :D

As for the "Satan thing," consider.....who "rules the night?" What is the darkness that can't comprehend the Light?"