He has fixed a day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to know what these words mean in modern Western culture but do you know what they mean in Hebrew culture?
I think it was the Targum of Jonathan, but I can't remember for certain, one of them, anyway, on this place,

Isaiah 66:24 KJV
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

It expressed their understanding that this "worm" is "what remains of a man whom God has destroyed".

I remember when I read that, I immediately thought of Psalm 22,

Psalms 22:6 KJV
But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

He took our place.

Much love!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 12:13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Solomon understood the nature and destiny of man and that resurrection was required for judgement to take place. "The dead know nothing!"
Have you read what Jesus said in Luke 16? The rich man DIED and was tormented in the fire. He was quite alive.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you read what Jesus said in Luke 16? The rich man DIED and was tormented in the fire. He was quite alive.
Confusing a story told to make a point as being a theological treatise on the state of the dead is like confusing the joke of 'there was an Englishman, an Irishman and an American........' as being the facts of three men on their way to COP 27

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Confusing a story told to make a point as being a theological treatise on the state of the dead is like confusing the joke of 'there was an Englishman, an Irishman and an American........' as being the facts of three men on their way to COP 27
It's "confusing" to Satan's messengers who lead people to Hell fire. The rich man died but was quite alive and tormented in the fire.

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's "confusing" to Satan's messengers who lead people to Hell fire. The rich man died but was quite alive and tormented in the fire.
What's even more confusing, is when people think the story is factual. As with all Jesus' parables, there is only one truth to be learned.
Do you know what it is?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, but your comparative chart implies that eternal life is gained or foiled by works of righteousness, or the lack thereof.
Well, at least you can be half honest ;) Without works your faith is dead!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's even more confusing, is when people think the story is factual. As with all Jesus' parables, there is only one truth to be learned.
Do you know what it is?
Prove it's a parable. Parables don't use LITERAL Biblical people, Abraham, Moses, Lazarus ...

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you can prove it's not?
Why do you want it to be a parable? Hmm. It agrees perfectly with what Jesus taught, "the everlasting fire". Oh, that's right, it is Jesus warning us about the fate of the rich man. It doesn't say nor even hint that it's a parable.

Satan LOVES it when his messengers lead people to "the everlasting fire" that Jesus clearly warned us about!

Last edited: