He who restrains . . .

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thessalonians 2:6-8 KJV
6) And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8) And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2 Thessalonians 2:5-7 LITV
5) Do you not remember that I told you these things, I yet being with you?
6) And now you know the thing holding back, for him to be revealed in his time.
7) For the mystery of lawlessness already is working, only he is holding back now, until it comes out of the midst.

The mystery of lawlessness, the hidden working of lawlessness is now. Lawlessness works sin, sinfulness, the hidden working of lawlessness is, I think, the pervasiveness of evil undergirding all that is in the world.

In spite of this pervasive evil -

1 John 5:19 KJV
And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

Regardless, God has promised us that all things work together for our good, we who love God, the called according to His purpose.

How does He keep His promise against a world cradled in evil?

He works everything for our good, and anything that cannot be worked for our good is restrained. Evil is restrained from hurting us, the children of God.

Only what serves His purpose is allowed, and nothing more, regarding those who are His.

7) For the mystery of lawlessness already is working, only he is holding back now, until it comes out of the midst.

Until what comes from where?

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8) And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

The mystery of lawlessness, the hidden working of lawlessness is now. Lawlessness works sin, sinfulness, the hidden working of lawlessness is, I think, the pervasiveness of evil undergirding all that is in the world.

Regardless, God has promised us that all things work together for our good, we who love God, the called according to His purpose.

He works everything for our good, and anything that cannot be worked for our good is restrained. Evil is restrained from hurting us, the children of God.

Only what serves His purpose is allowed, and nothing more, regarding those who are His.

Much love!
If we read what the subject was on we would know the answer .
Pual begins with talking about the coming of the LORD and our gathering unto HIM
He then leaves a long list of what must occur before THIS
THEN reminds them SO NOW YOU KNOW what must occur before he ,as in JESUS cometh back , is revealed from heaven .
Look at the subject matter . PAUL didnt open it up by saying let me tell you about the rise of anti christ or what is holding anti christ back .
HE spoke about what must occur BEFORE JESUS RETURNS . Its real simple if we dont sit under men who twisted up what was so simple .
ALSO take note that paul said the mystery of inquity is already AT WORK . WELL its fat full now
and we all running out of time . THE COMING OF JESUS DRAWS EVER NIGH . YES IT DOES .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the restraining that remains--from both sides:

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,​

And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time.​

But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.​

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
To understand who Paul was pointing to doing the withholding, other Bible Scriptures must be also understood.

Firstly, Lord Jesus revealed in His Revelation what the 2 Thess.2 revealing of the "man of sin" is about. In Revelation 12:7-9 Jesus showed the devil and his angels will be cast out of the heavenly dimension for the end, literally. That is ultimately what Paul is pointing to.

The idea of the 'withholding' is the one in Heaven who is withholding Satan back until it is time for that war in Heaven. This holding was hinted at in the Daniel 10 chapter which is a Heavenly view of things going on over the earth.

Dan 10:12-15
12 Then said he unto me, "Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.

But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days."
15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.
KJV

That was an angel that appeared to Daniel by the river Hiddekel, most likely the Archangel Gabriel that Daniel had before mentioned in Daniel 9:21. He is speaking from the heavenly order of events when pointing to that "prince of the kingdom of Persia". That represents Satan in the heavenly. All these events are taking place in the heavenly, and Daniel is being shown them by vision.

Dan 10:18-21
18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,
19 And said, "O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong." And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, "Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me."

20 Then said he, "Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee?
and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth:
and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
KJV

Thus Archangel Michael is who is 'withholding' Satan in the Heavenly until it is time for that heavenly war of Revelation 12:7-9. That makes sense, because in Rev.12:7 we are shown that war in Heaven will be with Archangel Michael and his angels vs. Satan and his angels.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To understand who Paul was pointing to doing the withholding, other Bible Scriptures must be also understood.

Firstly, Lord Jesus revealed in His Revelation what the 2 Thess.2 revealing of the "man of sin" is about. In Revelation 12:7-9 Jesus showed the devil and his angels will be cast out of the heavenly dimension for the end, literally. That is ultimately what Paul is pointing to.

The idea of the 'withholding' is the one in Heaven who is withholding Satan back until it is time for that war in Heaven. This holding was hinted at in the Daniel 10 chapter which is a Heavenly view of things going on over the earth.

Dan 10:12-15
12 Then said he unto me, "Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.

But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days."
15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.
KJV

That was an angel that appeared to Daniel by the river Hiddekel, most likely the Archangel Gabriel that Daniel had before mentioned in Daniel 9:21. He is speaking from the heavenly order of events when pointing to that "prince of the kingdom of Persia". That represents Satan in the heavenly. All these events are taking place in the heavenly, and Daniel is being shown them by vision.

Dan 10:18-21
18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,
19 And said, "O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong." And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, "Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me."

20 Then said he, "Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee?
and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
KJV

Thus Archangel Michael is who is 'withholding' Satan in the Heavenly until it is time for that heavenly war of Revelation 12:7-9. That makes sense, because in Rev.12:7 we are shown that war in Heaven will be with Archangel Michael and his angels vs. Satan and his angels.
Doesn't Satan currently "roam about like a roaring lion, looking for someone to eat"?

Much love!

Reactions: Keturah

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
The man of lawlessness has been revealed Marks:
(2 Thessalonians 2:4) . . .He stands in opposition and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he sits down in the temple of God, publicly showing himself to be a god.
Paul warns that satan would raise up a lawless one, a false object of reverence, who would even put himself above God’s law. So we see he is religious by nature.

Was Paul speaking of a single individual? No, for he states that this “man” was evident in Paul’s day and would continue in existence until Jehovah destroyed him at this system’s end. Thus, he has existed for many centuries. Obviously, no literal man has lived that long. So the expression “man of lawlessness” must stand for a body, or class, of people.

Who are they? The evidence shows that they are the body of proud, ambitious clergymen of Christendom, who over the centuries have set themselves up as a law unto themselves. This can be seen by the fact that there are thousands of different religions and sects in Christendom, each with its clergy, yet each conflicting with the others in some aspect of doctrine or practice. This divided state is a clear evidence that they do not follow God’s law. They cannot be from God. (Compare Micah 2:12; Mark 3:24; Romans 16:17; 1 Corinthians 1:10.) What all these religions have in common is that they do not hold fast to the Bible’s teachings, having violated the rule: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.”—1 Corinthians 4:6; see also Matthew 15:3, 9, 14.

Thus, this lawless one is a composite person: the religious clergy of Christendom. All of them, whether popes, priests, patriarchs, or Protestant preachers, share responsibility for the religious sins of Christendom. They have exchanged the truths of God for pagan lies, teaching such unscriptural doctrines

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, 1 Peter 5:8. Satan is not bound in the pit yet.
What does it mean that he is being "withheld in the heavenly"?

It seems to me that if he's being "withheld", then he's not "roaming about", how do you reconcile this?

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean that he is being "withheld in the heavenly"?

It seems to me that if he's being "withheld", then he's not "roaming about", how do you reconcile this?

Much love!
This cannot be Biblically explained in just a few words. What's your understanding of the two dimensions of existence written of in God's Word, i.e., this earthly vs. the Heavenly?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This cannot be Biblically explained in just a few words. What's your understanding of the two dimensions of existence written of in God's Word, i.e., this earthly vs. the Heavenly?
In a few words?

We live before the face of God, being seated in the heavenly realm.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy ,

What is your understanding of "the mystery of iniquity"?

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a few words?

We live before the face of God, being seated in the heavenly realm.

Much love!
Yes, we are sealed by The Holy Spirit in the Heavenly realm, which is to our spirit dwelling inside our flesh body. That right there reveals the TWO dimensions of existence, but God's Word gives us more info about the two dimensions.

Per the parable of Ezekiel 28 with God pointing to Satan that He created as an anointed cherub that covereth, that means God originally created Satan to guard His Throne. But Satan instead coveted God's Throne, and that is how Satan fell in that old world. None of that happened in the flesh. All that happened in the Heavenly dimension of Spirit.

Even back when Satan appeared before God's Throne to accuse Job, Satan was still able to go back and forth between Heaven and the earth, simply because the angelic existence can walk on this earth too, and even eat man's food and live on the earth like us. But Satan since he first rebelled has only been operating within the heavenly angelic dimension, even upon this earth, as he still does so today according to Peter.

The difference with the coming war in Heaven of Revelation 12:7-9 though says the result of that war is that Satan with his angels will be cast OUT of Heaven, no more place found for them in Heaven. That means no longer able to appear before God's Throne and accuse us. Since per the two dimensions in God's Word there is ONLY one other place he can go, it means he and his angels are LITERALLY coming to earth in OUR dimension. The majority of the world will wonder at who he is, not realizing who he is when he gets here on earth, in plain sight with his angels.

Most wrongly interpret Satan's casting down to this earth in Rev.12:7-9 either being about his original fall in the old world, or that he is just going to be working behind flesh men here on earth, but still invisible. No, he is coming with the image of man, as all the angels have that image too, and those on earth will see him and think he is but a flesh man.

Heb 13:2
2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
KJV

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy ,

What is your understanding of "the mystery of iniquity"?

Much love!
The "mystery of iniquity" is about the 'workers of iniquity', the "many antichrists" that Apostle John pointed to in 1 John 2:18. They are the 'children of darkness', the servants of the devil, the "tares" in Lord Jesus' parable of the tares of the field in Matthew 13, they are the "brute beasts" of 2 Peter 2 and Jude 10 that are created to be destroyed, the crept in unawares of Jude ordained to the condemnation of being against Christ.

If you are not familiar with all that, then shouldn't you wonder why your preachers haven't shown you about that in God's Word? It is a matter that starts way back in the Old Testament and continues all the way down to the end of Revelation.

Reactions: amigo de christo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are not familiar with all that, then shouldn't you wonder why your preachers haven't shown you about that in God's Word?
Er, I was asking to find out your ideas . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It hardly seems proper to try to have a discussion with someone and not take the time to hear what they think, right?

Much love!

Reactions: Keturah

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Er, I was asking to find out your ideas . . .

Much love!
MY ideas? Not 'my' ideas, but God's Word as written. Just because you don't yet know about those Bible events I mention doesn't make them 'my ideas'.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mystery of Iniquity doth already work . . . the unknowable working of lawlessness

Musterion . . . something unknowable unless revealed to you.

There is a hidden working of lawlessness that is currently being restrained, but that restraint will end when the restrainer
"becomes out of the midst", interesting language, isn't it?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because you don't yet know about those Bible events
Your presumption is a little premature, don't you think? We're just getting started, but if this is how it's going to go, I'm not so interested, just sayin'.

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It hardly seems proper to try to have a discussion with someone and not take the time to hear what they think, right?

Much love!
Well, I know that I tend to impart a lot of Scripture information that is difficult for many to process. But that's not because they aren't able, but because of their lack of Bible study.