Hearing the Voice of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was brought up in a dull, dry, Protestant church and considered myself an Agnostic Atheist, but went to church for fear of eternity. At seventeen I moved here to Virginia staying at my grandmother's, and attending the local Pentecostal Holiness church. My old Pentecostal Holiness pastor was an old evangelist turned pastor. He really knew how to get wonderful evangelist for revival. One summer day as a teenager I was reading Nikki Cruze's Run Baby Run after a wonderful revival and I heard a voice speaking to the heart..."Put the book down" Not realizing what was happening I continued to read. I was sleeping next to an open outside door and the kady-dids were singing their praises to God very loudly. The voice spoke again... "Put the book down!" I then put the book down and heard the voice speak yet again... "Where is all the strife, hatred, and bad feelings?" I examined the heart to find nothing there but pure beauty. I thought to myself, "Oh my! I got exactly what those people got!"

The following Fall I went to a pizza bar with college friends after the summer of Pentecostal revival. After drinking a few beers I felt the Spirit urge me to get out of there. I first shrugged off the voice and continued to drink and socialize. The voices got stronger suggesting also that I did not want to help. So I rose out of my seat early and told all my friends that I had to go. Upon leaving I felt the voice speak to me the third time not to do that again.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would give you a whole lot of "likes" if I could. Ok, it is mostly just a testimony and probably needs to go in that section of the Christian Forums, but I am glad to see it here in this section.

That is what it is like to hear the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ talking to us!!!!!!

I post over and over, even according to Him talking to me, just so I might get someone, anyone, to understand that the Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, is there to be heard from!!!!

And while He can tell you some incredible sounding bit of information, He is far more like to tell a person to put down a book.

The thing is that He never leaves us, so how often do we seek Him, and how often to be not listen to Him by faith?

Nice thread. Tell us more :)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "Yuletide" is almost over with in which I will listed to Handles Messiah a few times in season. I love the "Why do the heathen rage" number as it seems to be sung in persona of the heavenly hosts...

Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed. - Psalms 2:1-2

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They of course rage against Him, because they do not really know Him. So they don't hear His voice. They don't know how much He really cares about them. Because they don't hear Him, they think He is not around them all the time. Because they don't hear Him they tend to think that if He ever did speak to them it could only be to tell them some fantastically event of the future, instead of simply helping them with their own personal lives.

Because they don't hear when He speaks to them, they make fun on anyone saying God just spoke to them about little things in their lives.

Because they don't hear from Him they dismiss the testimony like yours.

Because they don't hear from Him they continue into their wrong ways and then blame Him for it.

Because they don't hear from Him they lean on their own understanding think their ways are best, and that even if God was around to be heard from they still know what's best.

Because they don't hear from Him they want others condemned, instead of seeking Him for how to improve themselves.

So what can be don't for those who refuse to listen to Him? Tell them to seek Him, hoping at some point the possibility of Him being their might occur to them? Perhaps you give a testimony about Him speaking to you, but it is ignored, right?

Indeed, if they don't listen to Him, who can they say, "Yeah, That is Hm"? They have to ignore the testimony, or try a be the expert saying - 'Oh that is not Him - you had better check it.."

So they don't know Him, and how personally He is. Therefore the rage against Him, and blame Him for all they perceive to be wrong. But that did not come from Him, but others like them who also did not hear from Him.

So, it is that He has me come here to this Christian Forum to try and get people to believe enough in Him, our Lord Jesus Christ, to hear and believe it is Him. Even to try and get them to seek His voice. But so few seem to pay head - so it is a pleasant surprise to find a real testimony about Him speaking. Thank you again for the testimony. I find it encourage - even like getting fresh water on a hot summer day.

He once told me:

A MAN THAT LISTENS TO GOD IS AS RARE AS DIAMONDS IN THE ROCK.

So of course, it is a nice surprise to find a jewel like your testimony, :)

Reactions: Mr E

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been blessed with immense peace and love from the spirit on a few occasions. A voice once told me to see a doctor, it was God, and when I went to the doctors I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and put on medication. The medication is wonderful and helps me to stay sane. May God bless us all.

Reactions: Karl Peters

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would give you a whole lot of "likes" if I could. Ok, it is mostly just a testimony and probably needs to go in that section of the Christian Forums, but I am glad to see it here in this section.

That is what it is like to hear the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ talking to us!!!!!!

I post over and over, even according to Him talking to me, just so I might get someone, anyone, to understand that the Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, is there to be heard from!!!!

And while He can tell you some incredible sounding bit of information, He is far more like to tell a person to put down a book.

The thing is that He never leaves us, so how often do we seek Him, and how often to be not listen to Him by faith?

Nice thread. Tell us more :)
Frankly, most people don't hear like you testify too. I know a lot of Christians and none of them testify like you do.
Personally, I HAVE heard the VoG but it is extremely rare over the last 25 years.

Reactions: Keturah

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was brought up in a dull, dry, Protestant church and considered myself an Agnostic Atheist, but went to church for fear of eternity. At seventeen I moved here to Virginia staying at my grandmother's, and attending the local Pentecostal Holiness church. My old Pentecostal Holiness pastor was an old evangelist turned pastor. He really knew how to get wonderful evangelist for revival. One summer day as a teenager I was reading Nikki Cruze's Run Baby Run after a wonderful revival and I heard a voice speaking to the heart..."Put the book down" Not realizing what was happening I continued to read. I was sleeping next to an open outside door and the kady-dids were singing their praises to God very loudly. The voice spoke again... "Put the book down!" I then put the book down and heard the voice speak yet again... "Where is all the strife, hatred, and bad feelings?" I examined the heart to find nothing there but pure beauty. I thought to myself, "Oh my! I got exactly what those people got!"

The following Fall I went to a pizza bar with college friends after the summer of Pentecostal revival. After drinking a few beers I felt the Spirit urge me to get out of there. I first shrugged off the voice and continued to drink and socialize. The voices got stronger suggesting also that I did not want to help. So I rose out of my seat early and told all my friends that I had to go. Upon leaving I felt the voice speak to me the third time not to do that again.
and @Karl Peters

I agree. God speaks to us literally. I've heard his voice now for 46 years!

Reactions: Wynona

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How? In what context?
God speaks to me and I hear Him. The same as the OP

He mainly tells me what to pray, and I repeat His words verbatim, and the prayer is answered immediately.

When I was first filled with the Spirit and born again on 2/9/77 He spoke 8 sentences to me. I also saw my first vision.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd rather He spoke to me through His Word. That way, I'll know it is true.
Demons can impersonate.
Demons cannot if you believe His word and DO His word. You've been taught unbelief.

1 John 5:18
18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not been taught unbelief. I read it in the Bible.
We are to stay on guard against these things. If they speak not according to light, there is no light in them Isa 8:10-22

We are told to test spirits 1 John 4:4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God.

You have been taught you are sinless. I haven't.
God be merciful to me a sinner.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Frankly, most people don't hear like you testify too. I know a lot of Christians and none of them testify like you do.
Personally, I HAVE heard the VoG but it is extremely rare over the last 25 years.

I understand, but there are Christian that hear Him, and a lot better that me!!!

Now a lot won't tell you until you really get to know them, because you can see even on this site how so many "Christian", even many standing behind the podium, don't really seek Him. Yet they are there, and many are much better at hearing Him than me!!

So yeah, even the church the Lord has me attend, it would seem few if any there hear Him much. Yet they are there, in that big Christian church that has over 2,000 seats for the service and has three services every week. There are some who hear Him like me and a lot better than me.

So where do you find them, at my church? Often, sadly, they are found in the back rooms! That is not true at every Christian church. But this is not unusual!! Now I have to tell you that the main pastor at my church does hear the Lord, but I am not sure He hears the Lord even like I testify to. He could? He occasionally does talk about hearing the Lord, and the Lord talks to me about how He and our main pastors often spend time walking together in the mountains close to us!! So it sounds like, from hearing my Lord, that our main pastor does spend more time walking and talking with Him than me, but he is not so bold as I am about telling people to listen to the Lord our God!! And I find that upsetting, Why would anyone, who knows the Lord and hears from Him not want everyone to listen to Him?????

It seems that there are some reason for people hearing from the Lord regularly and not actually telling others about hearing from Jesus Christ our Lord!

One reason is that they are embarrassed about telling others that they hear from Him!!

Is 1:29 Surely you will be ashamed of the oaks which you have desired, And you will be embarrassed at the gardens which you have chosen.

I have often been too embarrassed to tell others about Him at times. And He has gotten on to me for that!!

Another reason has to do with lack of trust that you actually did hear Him!!

We all have to hear Him with faith!! So it is not actually knowing it is Him, but rather believing it is Him. And you find out quickly that your thoughts are not His thoughts. So even if you do actually hear Him and then pass it on to others their thoughts are also not His thoughts, and so if they apply their understanding to what He said, they might not understand the word when you tell them!!!

Those who have been around Him for a long time tend to find ways of putting His words out in a careful way. They tend to do something like: "I believe that you might need to know - then carefully put what He told them as something that might have come from Him instead of actually saying they heard from the Lord Jesus Christ!! I also do that when I normally minister to people.

Let me give a real example: I was in prayer room when the Lord start telling me that a lady also in the room praying had a problem with her stomach. The Lord kept telling me this over and over. I was watching over the room, but our church does not want us men ministering to women, and I told the Lord that! He responded to me that I could give her a prayer card, which we had available in the room. So, He talked me into asking her if she had a problem with her stomach.

So a picked up a prayer card and carefully (like mentioned above) if she was having a problem with her stomach. Oh my, she almost freaked out. Yes she had a huge problem with her stomach. I asked her on a scale of 1-10, what was her level of pain, and she put it as a 9. She was in great pain. So I gave her a card and told her that my wife was down below checking people in and out, and she would be willing to pray for her.

I tell you, when you do hear from Him, it can feel pretty weird actually putting it in to practice!! So you there will people at the church who do hear from Him, but you might not know it or even understand it - because His thoughts are not your thoughts!

Another reason is discernment of spirits!!! The fact is that we all have battles with the dark forces of this world. And so when you actually listen more you become more aware of the problem!! The person telling you that they are good at discernment of spirits are almost always the people who never listen with their spiritual senses!! The person who practice listening with their spiritual senses is more aware of the spiritual realm around them, so are more careful and that sometimes causes them to be more shy about telling others about listening! Yet ironically, practicing seeking the Lord and listening to Him is the way to get better at discernment!!

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

So there are those who do hear from Him and regularly, but it might actually take listening to the Lord Jesus Christ for yourself to actually find out who they are!!!

Reactions: Nancy

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd rather He spoke to me through His Word. That way, I'll know it is true.
Demons can impersonate.

First we need to know the Bible clearly explains Jesus Christ is the Word of God - and just a clearly does not call the Scriptures the Word of God!! The Scriptures do explain that if we don't listen to the Lord then the word of God to us will be the orderly line up lines (the Bible) that we get a little here and there!!

Therefore, according to the Scriptures, you will find some who do call the Scriptures the word of God but they are the ones not listening to Him and they are also those falling backwards and being taken captive!! Let me just show you a few Scripture on this:

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Jn 1:1,2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

Gen 15:21 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, ...

The One who talked to Abram in the vision was the "word of the LORD". which is the same One (Jesus Christ) who took on flesh, walked with His disciples, and wound up hanging on the cross, and His name is called "The Word of God"!! He is not a book, but a person, even the Son of God who was with God in the beginning and who is God! And He said He would never leave us so we can hear from Him, TODAY!

Now look at why people call the line up lines of text in the Scriptures the "Word", instead of Him:

Is 28:12-14 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen
So the word of the LORD to them will be
, “Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,”
That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.
Therefore, hear the word of the LORD, O scoffers
Who rule this people who are in Jerusalem,

Look - if we "scoff." at the idea the Jesus Christ is there with us so we can hear from Him, then we won't seek Him to listen what He has to say to us!! That is what we need to change in our lives!!

I took a chance that He was indeed there to be heard from. Now to be fair, He came into my life telling me "Read Your Bible" before I took a change that He was indeed there. Yet from reading the Bible I saw that the Bible (like He first told me) explained that He was always with us to be heard from! So, I stepped out in faith and started seeking Him everyday, and it turned out that He is indeed there to talk to us!!

So I come into agreement with what is written in the Scriptures, and indeed the Holy Spirit, and I tell people that He is there to be heard from!! That is what the Scriptures say, and also what I found out when I sought Him!! It might not be as straight forward as it seems, but also it is not nearly so hard to hear from as you think!! He is actually very easy to hear from Him, but it is not so easy to believe that! Still, only an extremely small amount of faith that He is there to hear from will get you started hearing from Him!!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demons cannot if you believe His word and DO His word. You've been taught unbelief.

18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

We need to actually hear from the Lord to get understanding!!

For example hear are 2 verse which are both true, and how can they be?

1 John 5:18 We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

and

1 Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

I have seen people leaning on their own understanding, start thinking they can't do anything wrong (sin) What they miss is that we still have sin (evil) in us! If you go over this with the Lord He will probably bring in Paul's writings in Romans 7. It helps Him explain how the two scriptures are both correct!

Romans 7: 14, 22 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,

When you take in all Scriptures, and the Lord does, you find out the principle that "sin" / evil is present in us. Paul discovers this and places the blame on evil, because he is the one who wants to so do! Now God judges the heart!! The point is that God, if we are born again, does not credit sin against us! We are counted as righteous, but we still find out that we are doing the very things we hate, as Paul puts it! If we practice listening to Jesus Christ, we become aware of the battle we have in us with those dark forces. So we are not saying that we dont' have "sin". because of the principle that evil is present in us. We are aware of the battle. Yet the dark forces are not us, thought they effect us. Therefore those who are born of God are not the sinners, even though they still have the battle!

It basically comes down to this verse:

Gen 15:6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

Still, I come across some who say they don't have sin in them because they are "born again"! But they are not like Paul who realized that he was doing the very things he did not want to do! And that what's written in the Bible. So they deceive themselves, telling themselves that sin is not in them. And that because the truth (Jesus Christ via His Holy Spirit) is not in them!! So they leaned on their own understanding instead of actually seeking the voice of the Lord and His reproof!

Christians are people who understand there is a battle with 'sin', those dark spiritual forces in this world - and the battle takes place inside each of us! Saul, the Pharisee, did not understand but Paul the Christian did. And so did John. He understood that he was reckoned as being righteous but he also understood that sin was in him - which explains the 2 verses in 1 John. And real Christian also understand this, which is why we find Christian bumper stickers saying things like 'we are a work in progress' or 'forgiven not perfect'. etc

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to stay on guard against these things. If they speak not according to light, there is no light in them Isa 8:10-22

We are told to test spirits 1 John 4:4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God.

If it is a demon, then why does He quote John 15:7 to me, and tells me what to pray. If the first thing you think of is the devil, I feel sorry for you. I know God's voice. I should after all these years of answered prayer. You believe what doctrines of demons say to be a Defeatist. He has never said NO. He's always given me what He told me to pray for. And it is always just what I need right then. Try obeying His commandments and never doing anything against your conscience. It's easy. Then you cannot sin, and the devil can't touch me, or whisper in my ear like you believe. If you want to be sinless like Jesus promised for His own, you must be born again of the Spirit. I was when I was 30 years old. It takes more than going to church all your life. You have to want to and discover you can't on your own, so you repent of that nature that makes you so weak, and THAT IS WHEN Jesus will put His own Spirit in you and a great heaviness lifts out of your body. I felt it, and from then on I had no more desire to sin. You may want to change churches, but I can't tell you where to go. All I did was believed the Bible.

I remember once when I was traveling alone between Illinois and Arizona and had been having car trouble off and on for months, a strange grinding noise, but my mechanic could never find it as it never happened when he test drove my van. I was driving up a long steep grade, 30 miles outside Oklahoma City on Interstate 40, and suddenly there was that grinding sound again coming from underneath of my vehicle, but now louder than ever! I could feel the vibrations with my feet. Instantly I heard God whisper to say John 15:7, "’If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it will be done for you,’ ask for a Ford dealership." So, I prayed, Lord I am abiding in You, and Your words do abide in me so according to your word (rhema) I ask for a Ford dealership right now!” Just after I crested the hill, there was an off ramp, and a Ford dealership at the bottom of it, right out in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Jn1.Chris

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are supposed to test the spirits. Esp in the last days, when they are working overtime--they know their time is short. Rev1212 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

So it is not actually knowing it is Him, but rather believing it is Him.
This is the problem, in a nutshell. I know it it God's voice if it is written in the Bible.

And as for quoting Scripture, don't think for a moment that the devil and his angels don't know scripture. He used it against Jesus in the wilderness. And Jesus used it right back.

Just be careful.

Reactions: Nancy and Keturah

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are supposed to test the spirits. Esp in the last days, when they are working overtime--they know their time is short. Rev1212 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

This is the problem, in a nutshell. I know it it God's voice if it is written in the Bible.

And as for quoting Scripture, don't think for a moment that the devil and his angels don't know scripture. He used it against Jesus in the wilderness. And Jesus used it right back.

Just be careful.
If you are so afraid of the devil, why not just become born of God and keep yourself pure. Then He can't trick you as you are so afraid he will do to you.

My mind is always on God, and I'm not afraid of anything.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The above is absolutely correct!!

Look we are in this world, though not of it. This world contains evil spirits, demons. Now we have more with us (the army of God) than against us, and also we are fearing God, not demons, never-the-less we also still have a battle with those dark spiritual forces of this world! So let's not be foolish and go around aware. While we don't fear the dark forces of this world, we also don't want to be unaware of them either!!

And yes, we are to test the spirits!!

Now I have a hard enough time just getting people to start using their spiritual senses to listening to Jesus Christ, and that needs to be done first. But if you start listening to Him via His Holy Spirit, you are also going find out that your spiritual senses, like your spiritual ears, are also doing to pick up others around in the spiritual realm! I mean, when you go to the store you can hear various types of people with you physical ears, so why would you not be able to hear both good and evil with your spiritual ears? You can!!

Therefore you need to test the spirits, just exactly like Cassandra mentioned - ie 1 Jn 4:1-3 or perhaps 1 Cor 12:3. And you also need to keep in mind Heb 5: 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

There is also much more to know about discerning good and evil, but our Lord Jesus Christ can teach you. Still, the last thing you want to think is that you don't need to be wise and use some discernment of spirits. And note: just because a spirit quotes the Bible it does not mean they are from God!!

Remember that amazingly, Satan even quoted Scriptures to Jesus Christ. So don't think those demons won't try to mess you up by using the Scriptures. Instead you make it about seeking Jesus Christ and test the spirits just like it is written!! The Lord Jesus Christ will teach you much more in this when you continue to seek Him!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just be careful.
How can you test the spirits if you believe they are all demons?