Helplessness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
qwerty....I have no idea about your sins, however Jesus did die for them..He has paid the price for them once and for all..so ask His forgiveness, let Him off the cross in your life..we make a sin bigger than it is...Jesus is not sitting over you, watching and waiting for you to sin, so that Him can throw around His wrath..He is waiting for you to turn all of your life over to Him, so you can have a relationship... a very personal one with Him..so give it all to Jesus and let Him love you ...it becomes easier with Him to throw the sins away...

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
whenever i sin i feel this sense of helplessness come over me. please help

Hmmm...good reason to consider your ways....it is easy for anyone to sin but much harder for us to choose for ourselves that it is not worth the condemnation or guilt that comes with it. Sin...like anything else, becomes habitual because we practice it. To unpractice a habit, we must walk in the opposite direction beginning with our thought life. [which is the door opener].

2 Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

You are feeling helpless because the blood of Jesus has cleansed your conscience from past sin when you had repented previously....

In the OT under the first covenant, the blood of animals were offered to cleanse the people and the priest from sin. However, these sacrifices were not able to cleanse a persons conscience. Hebrews 9:8
9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The blood of Jesus however...is a perfect sacrifice and his blood cleanses a believers conscience so that when we sin...we become acutely aware that we are out of line with God....

My advice is that you repent as others have said and turn from the practice of it....and walk in the newness of Christ.

PS: I agree with your synopsis Andy...if it were only that easy - but it ain't so we gotta discipline ourselves and submit to God. :)

James 4
[sup]7[/sup] Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. [sup]8[/sup] Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. [sup]9[/sup] Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. [sup]10[/sup] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Shalom!!!

Reactions: Angelina

dougishere

Jan 12, 2012
Illinois
You are new to the faith, right? You are a babe, and the Father loves the babies of his adoption. They can do not much more than burp, eat, sleep, poop, and cry. But the Father loves you. And you're very honest. We are helpless until we've grasped some of who Christ is. Remember sufficient is the smallest seed of faith. In fact, you have small fruit growing of the Spirit. Just sprouting. God loves you. The first step is to come to an end of yourself, and what better way than to admit you are powerless over sin? You're doing ok, brother. Strength and joy will be more apparent to you over time, thru your journey.

What to do in the mean time? Don't despair, don't touch hot stoves spiritually speaking, and listen to a grace oriented pastor. Get Godly counseling from him if possible. We drag alot of our past into our new life via our flesh. Romans 7:14-25. You don't discipline yourself, God will. And right now God isn't interested in disciplining you as he is soaking you in His love.

Remember guys, rightly appropriate the law and grace according to what stage of journey someone is on. Grace to the meek, the law to the unbeliever, and grace and truth to the mature Christian.

meek needs grace for they already know the law, they are struggling
unbeliever needs the law to show them they've transgressed
mature Chrisitans need the meat of the word, grace & truth

Some things are just obvious. God has to be a better father than earthly fathers. And look at the behavior and love shown to babies to earthly fathers!! Can you see an earthly father disciplining a baby for burping all over?? No, the Father delights in the child. In every way.

God bless.

Reactions: Shirley

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We who know Jesus Christ still sin--occasionally, hopefully, and the job of Holy Spirit in us is to quickly alert us to that fact when we do slip up. He does it gently and without chiding and without causing guilt. If we experience strong guilt feelings and helplessness and despair for sinning, be assured that it is not God who is behind that. Rather, the enemy, Satan, is speaking lies to you of unworthiness and loss, and separation from God.

The way to stand against that is to choose to believe God when He tells you that He has forgiven you for ALL your sin, and that means past, present and future. ALL sin has been taken care of on the cross. We are to take advantage of His forgiveness there.

The enemy tries to stir up feelings of inadequacy and guilt to make us distracted from knowing who we are in Christ, Once we believe his lies and succumb to feelings, we are easily duped into being unusable for God. So, know this: feelings are soulish and not to be trusted above what the word of God says. they are no barometer of what the truth really is. Only what God says is the truth, and we have to rise above our feelings and actually tell them to step aside while we make that choice to believe God.

It takes a consistency in behaviour to make this a constant in life, but it isn't impossible! The benefits of the discipline of renewing one's mind in response to that command in Romans is well worth it in life!

Romans 12:2 (NLT)

[sup]2[/sup] Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Reactions: Shirley

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we get way too stuck in our heads over sin.....degrees / angles / lines not to step over / how close can we get?

Sin is missing the mark - if we are diligent about recognizing our sin and work with the Holy Spirit in our sanctification, God is not going to zap us. He wants to be in a relationship with us.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
yes, but then im afraid i will not do some things that aren't sins but aren't perfect.

God doesn't expect us to be perfect. He knows we aren't. The call in scripture for us to be perfect is a call for us to be completed. Allow God to mold you to the image of Christ, one day at a time. Besides---no one is helpless who knows Jesus! Don't you dare listen to what the devil is telling you about that!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop sinning.

What happened to Romans 7?

yes, but then im afraid i will not do some things that aren't sins but aren't perfect.

Get your heart, mind and soul on Jesus. We died to (the power) of sin and the law (Rom 6 and 7) that we may serve Another.
Sometimes the deceitfulness of battling sin is to focus on the sin rather than the Victor over sin.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
whenever i sin i feel this sense of helplessness come over me. please help
The conviction that you feel is proof in itself that there is help in God...He is trying to redirect you. But if you choose to feel helpless...that will over-ride the conviction and you will continue to sin to the point where you won't even feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit anymore, and that's a dangerous place to be...sinning without a conscience.

qwerty

Dec 13, 2011
The conviction that you feel is proof in itself that there is help in God...He is trying to redirect you. But if you choose to feel helpless...that will over-ride the conviction and you will continue to sin to the point where you won't even feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit anymore, and that's a dangerous place to be...sinning without a conscience.

Yes, i never want to go there, i just feel like i would be really ashamed if i sinned after really receiving the Holy Spirit.
I watched John Pipers speech/sermon live online of the "Passion 2012" event as he was talking about there being three categories that we're in. Evil, Godliness, or In the Middle. In the middle being we have the power to say "no" to sin, and Godliness being the sin not even tempting to us.

now, i know im in the middle, and something always hold me back when i try to get to godliness...this feeling that when i get saved i wont be able to do alot of things that are "in the middle between right and wrong".

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Yes, i never want to go there, i just feel like i would be really ashamed if i sinned after really receiving the Holy Spirit.
I watched John Pipers speech/sermon live online of the "Passion 2012" event as he was talking about there being three categories that we're in. Evil, Godliness, or In the Middle. In the middle being we have the power to say "no" to sin, and Godliness being the sin not even tempting to us.

now, i know im in the middle, and something always hold me back when i try to get to godliness...this feeling that when i get saved i wont be able to do alot of things that are "in the middle between right and wrong".

Did piper say being in the middle is wrong or sinful?

qwerty

Dec 13, 2011
i dont recall him saying that, but as a christian, shouldn't we want to be as holy as we can?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Of course! However, we also can not live life watching our past (looking back and fretting over every sin and failure), lest we never see what is coming down the path right at as and we are caught again with difficult choices.

Our past sin is paid for by the Blood of Christ, so all we need to do is see where we fouled up and watch for those warning signs as we continue our walk forward. I have found the biggest obstacles and failures in my life were usually just small bumps in the path if only I was not wringing my hands over my latest dismal failure as a Christian. Because I was looking back, those small bumps caused me to fall flat on my face. YMMV

qwerty

Dec 13, 2011

That