Here is what it all comes down to—- and you’d better get it right!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, I am not a Calvinist. I am a Christian. I am getting the impression that by resorting to that, you think you make a good argument. Well….no.

And no, I was not of the mind that when Abraham believed God, he was performing a good work.

So going back, with your view, God will thank you for believing and remaining believing in Him. For because of that, you have not caused Him to fail to achieve His purpose and predestination of you. That’s just what comes out of my your view. Nothing to do with whether one is a Calvinist or not. Nothing to do with Abraham either. Just have to do with your view.

Tong
R4203

I think trusting God is performing a good work….He gives you a measure of trust and you invest it.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So going back, with your view, God will thank you for believing and remaining believing in Him.
The ability to choose to believe comes by God's grace, so no, God will not be thanking me for my believing. I will be thanking him, perhaps, for giving me that ability to trust in Him.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Yes the bible says to keep believing. It is more of a reminder, not a condition that one should do to get himself saved
Believing is not the condition for getting saved? Are you listening to yourself, lol?
Keep believing, a condition for getting saved? Nope.

Salvation (unto eternal life) is of God, by God, by grace, through faith, according the counsel of His will. It’s all of God.

Salvation (unto eternal life) is not of man, not by man, not through anything that is of man, nor can it be said to be on account of a man’s actions and doings. It’s all of God.

Concerning salvation unto eternal, what did Jesus revealed about it?

Jesus said “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.”

Jesus said “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Jesus said “He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

Jesus said “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Tong
R4204

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:26 seems to leave that part off.

Will you please explain to me one more time the difference between sinning and sinning in unbelief?

He went to work.
To me, to sin means to not trust. I break it down to a simple: am I worrying or am I trusting?
I do some things people think are stupid, lol. Like…I refuse to set a display out on the sidewalk at my shop, even when sales are abysmal. I could set out a bench and red pillow to catch people’s eyes, or a table I’ve painted or…something. Everyone keeps saying I should get one of those flags that flap around in the wind and I refuse. They think I’m stupid. I’m practicing trust. Refusing to do what everyone else does. Waiting for God to provide for me. There was a woman coming in sometimes to open the shop for me. She set out a display on the days she came. I didn’t want her to, but I didn’t say anything. She could set out a display and sell nothing. I could not set out a display and have hundreds in sales. Or sometimes she could have a good day and I didn’t. There was no rhyme or reason to it. She asked me one day why I didn’t set out displays and I told her I was practicing trusting God alone. She looked at me like my hair was on fire lololol.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Do you really and truly believe in your heart that God would fail in achieving any of His set goals, purposes, and predestinations?
No.
What I believe is you do not know what is predestined that will not fail.
No you say. So you do not really and truly believe in your heart that God would fail in achieving any of His set goals, purposes, and predestinations. And right, He would not fail to achieve His purpose in disciplining His erring children, not will He fail to bring to pass that which He had predestined.

<<<What I believe is you do not know what is predestined that will not fail.>>>

God had predestined those whom He had created anew in Christ Jesus to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. That I believe God will definitely accomplish. And that means that God fails not in keeping His children. All of them who He had created anew in Christ Jesus, those whom the Father had given to the Son, will be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ.

If you are one of those whom God had predestined to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ, then you will be.

Tong
R4205

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep believing, a condition for getting saved? Nope.

And yet, you keep trusting God…
You were saved by grace, through trust. Consider if maybe it might not be wise to instruct others that they do not have to keep trusting Him. After all, they trusted God enough to step out under a towering wall of water, then proceeded to not continue to trust and He became displeased with them for it. WHO did God later become displeased with? Wasn’t it those He had saved?

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Can you sincerely say with your own mouth and confess that “God is a God who allows Himself to fail in achieving some of His set goals, purposes...
You mean like his set goals and purposes for Israel? Yes, it's a trick question to make you think.
All His set goals and purposes. He will accomplish them all.

He will accomplish what he has predestined to happen. You're either included in it, or you're not. It's your choice to be included in it if you, of your own free will, receive and retain the invitation to be included.

Yes, God will accomplish all that He had predestined to happen. And whether I am included or not, belongs to God, according to the counsel of His will, not according to my will.

Tong
R4206

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Call it what you want, but you define predestination the way the Calvinists do.
Call me a calvinist if you’re happy with that. But still, that does not make me one. I am not a calvinist, but a Christian. It is in Christ that I listen to and believe.

I don’t make my own definition of predestination. Nor I get its definition from Calvin, but from scriptures.

Tong
R4207

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
And no, I was not of the mind that when Abraham believed God, he was performing a good work.
But believing is works for those of us who don't define predestination the way you do, right?
I don’t know about you and your company who have a definition of predestination.

I am curious, what is your and your company’s definition of predestination?

Tong
R4208

Reactions: marks

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I think trusting God is performing a good work….He gives you a measure of trust and you invest it.
Well, I take it differently. I take it as God’s work in the person that He saves. The person’s believing, trusting in God, manifest the work of God in him.

Tong
R4209

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I take it differently. I take it as God’s work in the person that He saves. The person’s believing, trusting in God, manifest the work of God in him.

Tong
R4209

Yes. He gives each a measure of trust. Does He expect a return? Why does He give to the man and then call him a worthless servant for not investing what He gave him and returning to Him more? And what is it that God actually gives to each of those men?

Reactions: amadeus

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
So going back, with your view, God will thank you for believing and remaining believing in Him.
The ability to choose to believe comes by God's grace, so no, God will not be thanking me for my believing. I will be thanking him, perhaps, for giving me that ability to trust in Him.
Isn’t your view says that if you do not keep believing (even while you were given the ability to do so), God will not be able to accomplish, or would have failed to accomplish what He had predestined you to be? On the other hand, if you do, and you can because you’ve been given the ability to do so, He will be able to accomplish what He had predestined you to be, right?

So, with regards the latter case, you will be thanking Him for giving you the ability to keep believing, but on the other hand, He will be thanking you for doing so, for because of that, you had not made Him to fail to accomplish what He had predestined you to be.

That is what comes out of your view.

Tong
R4210

Reactions: marks

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He went to work.
To me, to sin means to not trust. I break it down to a simple: am I worrying or am I trusting?
I do some things people think are stupid, lol. Like…I refuse to set a display out on the sidewalk at my shop, even when sales are abysmal. I could set out a bench and red pillow to catch people’s eyes, or a table I’ve painted or…something. Everyone keeps saying I should get one of those flags that flap around in the wind and I refuse. They think I’m stupid. I’m practicing trust. Refusing to do what everyone else does. Waiting for God to provide for me. There was a woman coming in sometimes to open the shop for me. She set out a display on the days she came. I didn’t want her to, but I didn’t say anything. She could set out a display and sell nothing. I could not set out a display and have hundreds in sales. Or sometimes she could have a good day and I didn’t. There was no rhyme or reason to it. She asked me one day why I didn’t set out displays and I told her I was practicing trusting God alone. She looked at me like my hair was on fire lololol.
What a wonderful testimony. I must admit, though, that I'm partial to what the Bible gives as a definition of sin: The transgression of the law. I know the Bible also says that whatsoever is not of faith is sin, but I believe that passage is not as definitive as it is relational. :)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
For because of that, you have not caused Him to fail to achieve His purpose and predestination of you.
God does not fail People. We fail his plans and purposes and will that he ordained beforehand for us to walk in.
It’s not about God failing people or not. It’s about God failing to accomplish His purposes and what He had predestined.

Tong
R4211

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a wonderful testimony. I must admit, though, that I'm partial to what the Bible gives as a definition of sin: The transgression of the law. I know the Bible also says that whatsoever is not of faith is sin, but I believe that passage is not as definitive as it is relational. :)

Yes, sin is transgression of the law, but also, only when we have trust do we truly fulfill the law. So the way to fulfill the law is through trust. That’s the way to get there.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
And yet, you keep trusting God…
You were saved by grace, through trust. Consider if maybe it might not be wise to instruct others that they do not have to keep trusting Him. After all, they trusted God enough to step out under a towering wall of water, then proceeded to not continue to trust and He became displeased with them for it. WHO did God later become displeased with? Wasn’t it those He had saved?

<<<And yet, you keep trusting God…>>>

Yes I do. It was like that ever since my conversion, when I believed and trusted in Him and in Jesus Christ. But I do, not because I have to so that I will remain saved as some say they do.

I think that the faith that comes from God, that God gives to them whom He saves, is of that nature. It is continuing, unlike faith that comes from us.

<<<Consider if maybe it might not be wise to instruct others that they do not have to keep trusting Him.>>>

It sure isn’t. However, that does not mean that that is what gets them to be saved or remain saved, as some here makes of it.

<<<WHO did God later become displeased with? Wasn’t it those He had saved?>>>

Saved from what? Was that salvation unto eternal life?

Tong
R4213