Hey Christian! Yer' Bible got any dirt on it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bud_break

Jul 15, 2014
It has come to my attention Christian resources such as the Bibles and an on-line Bible/study site I have been using, 'may be' not be for me, or worse, tainted. I am a beginner having been called less than a month ago; and I'm old, with little patience for sewing of seeds in anything less than good ground.

I was given a copy of the Jerusalem Bible 1968
[link removed]

and found a copy of The New Testament in Modern English 1962
[removed]

I've no interest in practicing Catholicism or using Roman Catholic Church references for other than academic or informational purposes.

When I surf on-line its not difficult to turn away from sources having an axe to grind, obvious heresies, way glitzy and overloaded front pages - or too commercial, etc. What frightens is the subtle, curious, or unnoticed heresies. One example being business affiliations hell bent on the all-mighty dollar. There are others - and here's where it gets dicey.

Up to now I've been using

Prayed for guidance today, took a nap, and awoke to click on the above to read the NASB version of Mark. Something (lol) told me
to first take a peek at the Zondervan Corporation
[links removed]

I don't know.

Must Christians do preliminary background investigations of everyplace we hear the word? Has some caring and double-sharp man of God already compiled a Jesus approved list for us? Am I splittin' hairs? Bible Gateway dot com's Biblical text says a little poison ain't ok.

Uh boy. A polluted mind and troubled heart such as mine has had a lot of practice in the ways of the world. My faith is young, iffy, and real fragile right now hence I truly hope your Bible and study resources are divine, righteous, and immaculate. If you know or believe this, for the love of God, please share with us.

I'm hitting a bookstore tomorrow and look around for one of these
[removed]
and hope Nietzsche was full of prunes when he wrote in chapter IV of "Beyond Good and Evil",

121. It is a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author--and that he did not learn it better.

Thank God, and thank you all for being here,

bb

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Rarely do we meet those that really care! Excellent!!!

Only an opinion to take with a grain of salt. I use a K.J.V./ ASV 1901/RSV Interlinear/a post 1937 RSV, and etc. My point is we can use online, etc. getting our Text 94-97% accurate or so thus Text is not really an issue, Bible translations are extremely interpretative by nature of just being a translation. Our Lord set up a way to deal with this, viz., IIPet.1:20, 21, Context explains the context...now the dust is off.

Old opinionated Jack...wish someone would have told me this decades and decades ago.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
shturt678s said:
Rarely do we meet those that really care! Excellent!!!

Only an opinion to take with a grain of salt. I use a K.J.V./ ASV 1901/RSV Interlinear/a post 1937 RSV, and etc. My point is we can use online, etc. getting our Text 94-97% accurate or so thus Text is not really an issue, Bible translations are extremely interpretative by nature of just being a translation. Our Lord set up a way to deal with this, viz., IIPet.1:20, 21, Context explains the context...now the dust is off.

Old opinionated Jack...wish someone would have told me this decades and decades ago.
And..........if we were writing the bible today...what Ol Jack just spoke would be scripture. The Book of Jack.....

Oh...and by the way Ol Jack.........Just thought I'd let cha know......Fruit Of The Looms.....are not the best men's underware.

Ya....know......so ya don't have to hear that decades and decades from now. :)

Think nothin of it...your welcome.

bud_break

Jul 15, 2014
Hello Friends,

Thank you for allowing a 'new guy' getting the above out there. Yes - no doubt there are personal concerns as to which version/hard copy of His Word is a better choice. These concerns are being addressed and I very much appreciate your interest and input.

Just plain talkin', the cover leafs of dozens a' versions of millions a' Bibles advertize their publishing companies to be holding hands with the New World Order. I'm not bangin' my head on the Rock or the Word here. Trace the record of publishing companies that printed your copies and determine for yourselves how clean it's distributorship was, is, or remains. If it ain't significant, please feel free to learn me.

Bud break don't want no part of the secular segue to globalization. When I see it, it gets clipped off close to the vine.

Info leading to a Jesus only printing press is what I'm asking.

bb
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...In it Espanol, the word it mean it, "Little Angel". Lovely handle. It's nice! I really enjoy what of yours I've read, and um, Thanks' for the heads-up with regard to the links. Woopsidoodle.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
RANDOR said:
And..........if we were writing the bible today...what Ol Jack just spoke would be scripture. The Book of Jack.....

Oh...and by the way Ol Jack.........Just thought I'd let cha know......Fruit Of The Looms.....are not the best men's underware.

Ya....know......so ya don't have to hear that decades and decades from now. :)

Think nothin of it...your welcome.
Confession of sin, we in Hawaii don't wear undys...Hawaiian air conditioning...works for me...now back to the Scriptures 24/7.

Old Jack back to basics

Confession of Sin #2, made my own Bible translation, Jack's...however too many errors...back to the ol' K.J.V.
RANDOR said:
Bible translations are plenty accurate enough...95% or so, works for me...brother RANDOR shooting for 100% if I recall correctly?

Old Jack

Good to have you aboard bud_break

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello Bud,

Did you find a local Church to gather with other believers and grow in Christ along with them? This would be a very important aspect of your trek to understanding what the Bible teaches, listening to pastor's and to other believers, discussing what you thought a text meant before you heard a sermon and after, or before you heard someone comment on it, and after.

Give yourself time to grow in your understanding of the Bible.

Now one practical advice would be to see what translation of the Bible is used by your pastor or pastors and people of your new Church. Ask him or them why they like that translation over any other. If you have in hand the same translation as the people teaching in your Church, it will help you follow along with others when the Bible text is being read in Church.

There is a thread on this very forum titled "What Bible Translation are you using?". Its about which Bible translations board members prefer reading. Browse through it. Sample out the versions mentioned by viewing them at http://biblia.com/ or wherever you can find them on line or in paper.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would suggest reading any version you feel like you can get good broad picture from first. i made the mistake of getting a greek nt and trying translate and it get overwhelming - it also left me missing the forest for trees. You can always refine you understanding of the text after you get the big picture. Just my preference

bud_break

Jul 15, 2014
RANDOR said:
YES! - Grins

shturt678s said:
Good to have you aboard bud_break
Thank you, friend - good to be here

DanielGarneau said:
Hello Bud,

Did you find a local Church to gather with other believers and grow in Christ along with them? This would be a very important aspect of your trek to understanding what the Bible teaches, listening to pastor's and to other believers, discussing what you thought a text meant before you heard a sermon and after, or before you heard someone comment on it, and after.

Give yourself time to grow in your understanding of the Bible.

Now one practical advice would be to see what translation of the Bible is used by your pastor or pastors and people of your new Church. Ask him or them why they like that translation over any other. If you have in hand the same translation as the people teaching in your Church, it will help you follow along with others when the Bible text is being read in Church.

There is a thread on this very forum titled "What Bible Translation are you using?". Its about which Bible translations board members prefer reading. Browse through it. Sample out the versions mentioned by viewing them at http://biblia.com/ or wherever you can find them on line or in paper.
Hello Mr. Garneau,

No. No Church as yet. I have observed a few in the local area at a safe electronic distance. Comments reserved. There is a Christian Community Church less than a block away, around the corner. At this moment I am committing to taking the plunge (no pun) and walk in unannounced this next weekend be it Sat. or Sun., *and* follow your good and wise advice point by point.

Your site at savoiretcroire dot ca is a cool, soothing. and refreshing drink of water. This is my new daily stop when on-line.
Thank you so much!

aspen said:
i would suggest reading any version you feel like you can get good broad picture from first. i made the mistake of getting a greek nt and trying translate and it get overwhelming - it also left me missing the forest for trees. You can always refine you understanding of the text after you get the big picture. Just my preference
Oh yes. I happened on a site where it is possible to compare each verse of Scripture, various versions, side-by-side.

bb