Hi guys, New Guy here, my name is Stuart and i am a Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how can christians help the mentally ill or is that Gods responsibility?

• Total voters

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a problem with this, i have trouble accepting i might get into heaven bc although i have been savced and have been told there is a place for me i am still not convinced :( i worry that on my death bed i wont know where i am going and it will be a horrible end, Imagine not knowing where you are going? and i am very scared i might go to hell :(
@Stuart John 14.1-27 is a great passage, as is Psalm 46; and Hebrews 9 and 10 speak of the finished work of Christ at the Cross on which the believer rests. John's First Epistle and Romans 8 are full of assurance for the child of God.

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Stuart John 14.1-27 is a great passage, as is Psalm 46; and Hebrews 9 and 10 speak of the finished work of Christ at the Cross on which the believer rests. John's First Epistle and Romans 8 are full of assurance for the child of God.
thanks i will try and find time to look at these passages, it is something i have a huge problem with, feeling unworthy my whole life why should death be any different? mental illness robs me and gives me shame :( i try and deal with it i try and remain hopeful but it seems no matter what i do, how much good i am never worthy :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not saying that this is wrong advice but for me it was the Holy Spirit that became my counsellor. I had bulimia from the age of 14 years old. Became a Christian at 21, struggled with constant daily mind games. I went to Christians for help, but they didn’t understand and it dragged me deeper. Finally one day, in my 40’s, The Lord laid a question on my heart ‘ do you want to be healed ‘ I relayed yes. I thought it would be instant, no chance. The next day , while watching ‘ an audience with Donny Osmond’ my past was triggered on an emotional level. It was like piercing an internal boil, bit by bit I worked through all that I had held onto. Over a ten year period the Holy Spirit took me on journeys back. Then one day, having written all the different things down , I lit a candle, prayed and left all the hurt and pain at the cross. The next morning the mental mind games were gone.
God knows everything about us and knows the best path to take us with regards to inner healing. The mental issues did not hinder God working in my life over the 30 years prior to the healing process beginning. My journey will not be the same as others as mental illness can be rooted in so many different things, and who we are will be relevant to how the Lord will work.
One valuable lesson I did learn was that it all happened bit by bit, in Gods timing as he knew what I could cope with and when xx
Sorry for a long post xx
Rita

Welcome to the forums! Yes Barbara God can heal us. I would never tell a person that can get real help from a doctor that God will heal them. Because it's been my experience that if a doctor can heal you then God won't. That said I was healed by God of situational depression. It took several years of returning to church and following God, but eventually my depression was cured. But there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression. The later requires medication, for situational requires different situation to make better.

I have a mental disability that requires medication. And there was a time when I thought God had healed me, so I came off my medication, and it was a huge mistake. I spiraled back into insanity and eventually had a psychotic episode. Not good. I went back to being on medication and am doing much better now.

Cheers,

Devin

Reactions: Stuart

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My sin is a constant stream, not sure if my mental illness is tied in with sin but i think its roots definitely are 'i fell away at a young age and Satan tightened his grip' i try to pray but i don't pray enough, God has been encouraging me to pray more bc he told me it was the cause of my anxieties, i tried praying more and it has helped but i feel i have been caught up with other things again and prayer takes a back seat :( also I try and take communion as often as i can to help cleanse my soul from the stain of sin but despite this my illness is so deep rooted that i am at the foot of the cross everyday, like this demon just doesn't want to let go :( if jesus came back as a man he could free me from my burden with his command but alas he died on the cross, the holy spirit is with us though so that is some comfort, btw i still have a lot to learn, i am by no means an authority on this, i am no theologian
Me leaving things at the cross was at the end of a process, and at the time I wasn’t really aware of everything that God was doing. I can only see things more clearly now because I can look back. I am not sure it was sin that I left at the cross that night- it’s difficult to explain xx
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! Yes Barbara God can heal us. I would never tell a person that can get real help from a doctor that God will heal them. Because it's been my experience that if a doctor can heal you then God won't. That said I was healed by God of situational depression. It took several years of returning to church and following God, but eventually my depression was cured. But there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression. The later requires medication, for situational requires different situation to make better.

I have a mental disability that requires medication. And there was a time when I thought God had healed me, so I came off my medication, and it was a huge mistake. I spiraled back into insanity and eventually had a psychotic episode. Not good. I went back to being on medication and am doing much better now.

Cheers,

Devin
Hi Devin,I am not new to the forums by the way, my old account got deleted ( Rita ) so I had to re register xxx
Oh please don’t misunderstand me, there is a time and place where medical and other help is needed. I guess I was merely relaying that with me it was different. In no way would I condone other paths of treatment xxxx
Rita x

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i try to pray but i don't pray enough, God has been encouraging me to pray more bc he told me it was the cause of my anxieties, i tried praying more and it has helped but i feel i have been caught up with other things again and prayer takes a back seat :( also I try and take communion as often as i can to help cleanse my soul from the stain of sin but despite this my illness is so deep rooted that i am at the foot of the cross everyday, like this demon just doesn't want to let go :( if jesus came back as a man he could free me from my burden with his command but alas he died on the cross, the holy spirit is with us though so that is some comfort, btw i still have a lot to learn, i am by no means an authority on this, i am no theologian

In my experience over the many years ....I would be bold enough to say ....”then DONT PRAY! “

There is a story for us to learn from in the OT . King Jehoshaphat was losing his war ....so he set the PRAISERS at the head of the soldiers out front ....they marched with the praisers leading the army , and won the battle.

If what you are doing is not working, why continue ....’take a breath ‘...and praise Father for everything you can think of...

It was at the midnight hour , the darkest hour , in prison , that Paul and Silas started worshipping abundance singing (not praying) ....and it changed the atmosphere and they were delivered , their chains fell off.

Change your way of thinking , focus on Him alone , and praise and enjoy all the good things He has done.

Blessings ...H

Sorry for mistakes , I’m on my iPad....

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin,I am not new to the forums by the way, my old account got deleted ( Rita ) so I had to re register xxx
Oh please don’t misunderstand me, there is a time and place where medical and other help is needed. I guess I was merely relaying that with me it was different. In no way would I condone other paths of treatment xxxx
Rita x

Thanks, and I'm very happy you found healing thru God, as I have also, and what a miracle it is. God bless you, and I thought I recognized the name Rita, sorry your account got deleted.

Me without meds:

135185364_236245588067992_1982462624752306644_n.jpg

Reactions: Stuart and Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, and I'm very happy you found healing thru God, as I have also, and what a miracle it is. God bless you, and I thought I recognized the name Rita, sorry your account got deleted.

Me without meds:

135185364_236245588067992_1982462624752306644_n.jpg
Must show that to my son ( he is on meds xx )
It was my fault my account got deleted xx
Rita

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Must show that to my son ( he is on meds xx )
Rita

Oh, I didn't know an account could get deleted, is that an option we have as a user?

And yeah, my sisters on meds, and I would show her that meme, but she is paranoid even on meds and would think I'm part of the conspiracy to keep her on meds :confused:

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I didn't know an account could get deleted, is that an option we have as a user?

And yeah, my sisters on meds, and I would show her that meme, but she is paranoid even on meds and would think I'm part of the conspiracy to keep her on meds :confused:
No you can’t delete your own account but I was getting fed up with the digs on certain threads about people from the UK not having the right to opinions on what’s going on in the USA ( while others who were from other countries were allowed opinions if they agreed with the views of the few who were having digs ) Then those who were having digs had opinions about the UK - I call that hypocrisy !!
Anyway I was having a difficult week at work and it all added to it, so I asked a mod to delete the account. It didn’t happen straight away and the week got better and I decided not to allow the bullies, who somehow feel they have control here, not to win. Then my account disappeared !! Lol
Rita xx

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you can’t delete your own account but I was getting fed up with the digs on certain threads about people from the UK not having the right to opinions on what’s going on in the USA ( while others who were from other countries were allowed opinions if they agreed with the views of the few who were having digs ) Then those who were having digs had opinions about the UK - I call that hypocrisy !!
Anyway I was having a difficult week at work and it all added to it, so I asked a mod to delete the account. It didn’t happen straight away and the week got better and I decided not to allow the bullies, who somehow feel they have control here, not to win. Then my account disappeared !! Lol
Rita xx
Yeah I noticed a lot of UK opinion on USA issues, which is a little co-dependent like and sometimes annoying. And I did notice the opposite was attacked.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I noticed a lot of UK opinion on USA issues, which is a little co-dependent like and sometimes annoying. And I did notice the opposite was attacked.
Yes I do understand how annoying it can be, but this is an international forum and we all give opinions and views on things from other countries- it’s part of forum life. Rita

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I do understand how annoying it can be, but this is an international forum and we all give opinions and views on things from other countries- it’s part of forum life. Rita
It probably goes both ways, and you're right!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks i will try and find time to look at these passages, it is something i have a huge problem with, feeling unworthy my whole life why should death be any different? mental illness robs me and gives me shame :( i try and deal with it i try and remain hopeful but it seems no matter what i do, how much good i am never worthy :(
When you are tempted to work for salvation, refocus your eyes in this truth:
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.” — Acts 17:28 (KJV)

Our identity is not in the good works (and subsequently, our failures), but in Him. When we look into the eyes (so to speak) of our Father who loves us, there we find who we are. I would suggest doing a study on all the places in the NT that speaks of love. That is where we are to be "rooted and grounded." And that is where we find confidence and identity. We love Him because He first loved us. When we get that truth in our foundation, all we do (works) naturally just flow out of that place (relationship) of love. We aren't saved by works. We are saved by faith in Christ. Works are born out of a love relationship with Him.

The words in this song may help you understand these truths...

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Barbara God can heal us. I would never tell a person that can get real help from a doctor that God will heal them. Because it's been my experience that if a doctor can heal you then God won't.
in a way God is healing you though another, it is the same with meds, its all part of the plan set out by the almighty.

there is a time and place where medical and other help is needed.
Yes, i wish dr's were more bound by faith but it seems they are more bound by the hypocratic oath, Faith should be put first when healing others even more so esp f you have to deal with loss on a daily basis :(

’take a breath ‘...and praise Father for everything you can think of..
thanks helen, I am trying its just life gets really busy and my mind can drift making prayer the last thing on my mind which is very sad as it should be at the top, maybe it is my meds that fog my Mind, i would like to pray more, prayer is good.

I am glad you are here, thankyou for joining this discussion.

but she is paranoid
I have been there, i was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic in 2003 but the last ten years have been good to me thank god, My diagnosis was changed to mixed personality disorder but i dont see it as a disorder. and i dont gett paranoid anymore, apart from a bad time in October, when i got hospitalised for 7-10 days, i bounced back from that really quickly though Thank god :)

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We aren't saved by works. We are saved by faith in Christ. Works are born out of a love relationship with Him.
Thanks TLHKAJ, maybe that is where i am going wrong, i try to be the best i can be and do the best that i can but i always fall short even when i am on top and feeling i have really accomplished something i tell myself but there is still a lot too be done, i want to bear the best fruits of my labour and i feel like my faith is not as strong as i want it to be, i feel like i am failing god bc i am not committed enough to my faith, i serve god but i am a lazy servant, I have a lot of things i need to do and accomplish before i leave this mortal coil.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been there, i was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic in 2003 but the last ten years have been good to me thank god, My diagnosis was changed to mixed personality disorder but i dont see it as a disorder. and i dont gett paranoid anymore, apart from a bad time in October, when i got hospitalised for 7-10 days, i bounced back from that really quickly though Thank god :)
Do you mean that you have multiple personalities? If so, what was the diagnosis? I have never heard of mixed personality disorder. And they stopped using "multiple personality disorder" in the 1990's and changed it to "dissociative identity disorder." Same condition, different name. And it is not a mental illness at all. Instead, it is a coping mechanism, and one that can be healed as one works through the traumas (with God) that caused the shattering.

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean that you have multiple personalities?
No, it was all highlighed when i asked them to send me more information, it is not multiple personalities, it is basically a little bit of this and a little bit of that disorder, i was told anxious dependent but when i read more of other symptoms i found i was kind of right across the spectrum in a lot of areas at some point, but i'm not too fussed bc i am not defined by it, I am a Christian now, that is my designation :)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it was all highlighed when i asked them to send me more information, it is not multiple personalities, it is basically a little bit of this and a little bit of that disorder, i was told anxious dependent but when i read more of other symptoms i found i was kind of right across the spectrum in a lot of areas at some point, but i'm not too fussed bc i am not defined by it, I am a Christian now, that is my designation :)
So they gave you a diagnosis of schizophrenia, not a personality disorder, correct?

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So they gave you a diagnosis of schizophrenia, not a personality disorder, correct?
Yes paranoid schizophrenia until 2018 when it was changed to mixed personality disorder,

I always wonder how others will treat me after they read about my so called illness, i fear i will be treated differently, like some sort of invalid, please just treat me normally, i dont want any special attention or avoidance.