Hi guys, New Guy here, my name is Stuart and i am a Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how can christians help the mentally ill or is that Gods responsibility?

• Total voters

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes paranoid schizophrenia until 2018 when it was changed to mixed personality disorder,

I always wonder how others will treat me after they read about my so called illness, i fear i will be treated differently, like some sort of invalid, please just treat me normally, i dont want any special attention or avoidance.
Okay. I had never heard of "mixed personality disorder" so I looked it up.
An Overview of Mixed Personality Disorders: Definition, Diagnosis, and Criteria

There isn't a lot of info on it because it's basically a catchall for people who don't fall strictly into one category of personality disorders. So you exhibit a mixture of symptoms that fall across any number of personality disorders. Man, I hate labels the psychology world places on people. lol

Reactions: Stuart

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay. I had never heard of "mixed personality disorder" so I looked it up.
An Overview of Mixed Personality Disorders: Definition, Diagnosis, and Criteria

There isn't a lot of info on it because it's basically a catchall for people who don't fall strictly into one category of personality disorders. So you exhibit a mixture of symptoms that fall across any number of personality disorders. Man, I hate labels the psychology world places on people. lol
thats pretty much it, i fear i have scared others off this discussion, people will think less of me now

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thats pretty much it, i fear i have scared others off this discussion, people will think less of me now
Nah, these threads usually fizzle out fairly quickly. So far it seems you've been well received. :)

Reactions: Truman and Stuart

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So far it seems you've been well received. :)
Thats good to know, thanks, do you know if it takes a while to come up on new posts? i cant see my posts on new posts or anything or am i imagining it? lol

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats good to know, thanks, do you know if it takes a while to come up on new posts? i cant see my posts on new posts or anything or am i imagining it? lol
No, the new posts are listed on the home page in the order they're made. When a lot of people are posting at the same time, the list cycles quickly.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi guys, New Guy here, my name is Stuart and i am a Christian
OP^

Hello Stuart, welcome to the forum.

I am going to presume you have freely chosen to Be MADE Converted IN Christ, and speak to you on that basis.

• Mental "issues" IS in TWO forms.
1) Man-made lists of man-man clinical data and man-made treatments via- psychologies and chemical compounds.

2) God-revealed mental "issues"
...1) the Carnal Mind IS Against God.
...2) an Offering from God, to change ones Hearts Thoughts.
...3) the struggle of man; making his own Mind "Yield" to the Thoughts of his changed Heart (over-Superseding) the thoughts of his Carnal Mind.

The CONFLICT between a man's natural Carnal Mind and a man's supernatural (reborn spirit in his new heart)...
Sort of seems like a man is left hanging on "his own power" to MAKE his Carnal Mind, BE subservant to his new Hearts Thoughts...eh?

Because a man alone is weak in his own "power"...and (if Converted) IN Christ (who IS Gods Power) ...such a man has an advantage...IF he "USES" his advantage.

The Advantage IS Precisely;
•Gods Supreme Power (Christ IN the man).
•Gods Authorization to Directly Rebuke Carnal Thoughts.
•Gods Authorization of Direct Communication TO Him for Needs of His Intervention of His Direct Power to Keep you from Carnal Temptation.
•24-7 God is Available for "Asking" Him to Intervene when you know your Mind is Overcoming your Hearts Thoughts.

It is NOT psychology, philosophies, chemical compounds drugs, a pastor, commentaries...
It IS precisely a Gift of God, given a Converted man, Available 24-7.

IOW- God IS the GREAT Physician. Your personal Doctor, Healer and only requires you "asking Him".

Glory To God,
Taken

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OW- God IS the GREAT Physician. Your personal Doctor, Healer and only requires you "asking Him".

I have a problem with my mind, it is my belief that God Created man and through Gods great wisdom and Psychiatric medicine was made although it has disadvantages it sort of tries to subdue negative thoughts, emotions, is this from God or is this something else, the medicine i took for 7 yearrs was not the best :( the medicine i take now is better but still it clouds my judgement sometimes, i agree with a lot of what you say and i really wish God could take away all my demons but atm i will follow his plans, he knows best, he is working within me, i am at his mercy, at his feet praying for forgiveness and redemption from this evil in my life.

I do feel Gods influence everyday, i feel his protective hand on my shoulder, it is very comforting to know that god has his hand on me, guiding me, protecting me, he is truly my saviour every single day.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a problem with my mind, it is my belief that God Created man and through Gods great wisdom and Psychiatric medicine was made although it has disadvantages it sort of tries to subdue negative thoughts, emotions, is this from God or is this something else, the medicine i took for 7 yearrs was not the best :( the medicine i take now is better but still it clouds my judgement sometimes, i agree with a lot of what you say and i really wish God could take away all my demons but atm i will follow his plans, he knows best, he is working within me, i am at his mercy, at his feet praying for forgiveness and redemption from this evil in my life.

I do feel Gods influence everyday, i feel his protective hand on my shoulder, it is very comforting to know that god has his hand on me, guiding me, protecting me, he is truly my saviour every single day.

Sorry for your frustrations.
Mainly, above all, You have the One you need.
Prayers for you, your comfort and resolve.

Glory to God,
Taken

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for your frustrations.
Mainly, above all, You have the One you need.
Prayers for you, your comfort and resolve.

Glory to God,
Taken

Thanks, God is in complete control but idk if meds help or hinder, if i dont take them i cant control the demons in my head, it is very frustrating :( you are right, what you said made a lot of sense.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, God is in complete control but idk if meds help or hinder, if i dont take them i cant control the demons in my head, it is very frustrating :( you are right, what you said made a lot of sense.
Stuart, when you say "demons in your head" what do you mean? Are you hearing voices inside your head?

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, something affects me and that is what i call the demon(s)
Can you be more specific about how they're effecting you?

Also, let me ask this... have you told the demons to leave in Jesus's name?

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
have you told the demons to leave in Jesus's name?

Its not affecting me much atm but i get tired and anxious if i over exert myself (which doesn't take nmuch) for some reason i cannot tolerate stress as much as an average person but it has improved for me a lot,

My demons would be the cause of my problems when they rear their head (which is not very often) my recent hospitalisation was more of a spiritual attack than an internal fight, its been ten years since i was very ill with paranoia and delusional behaviour and my health problems at the time just made it a lot worse, so demons for me are basically the source(s) of my illness which is kept at bay by using a low dose of psychiatric meds

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not affecting me much atm but i get tired and anxious if i over exert myself (which doesn't take nmuch) for some reason i cannot tolerate stress as much as an average person but it has improved for me a lot,

My demons would be the cause of my problems when they rear their head (which is not very often) my recent hospitalisation was more of a spiritual attack than an internal fight, its been ten years since i was very ill with paranoia and delusional behaviour and my health problems at the time just made it a lot worse, so demons for me are basically the source(s) of my illness which is kept at bay by using a low dose of psychiatric meds
Honestly, demons don't go away with meds. They only obey the name of Jesus. One thing that helps drive demons away is truly anointed worship/Christian music. (Read the account of David playing the harp and Saul's demons being driven away.) But the fact that meds make the symptoms better brings me to believe this is something physical and mental, rather than spiritual (demonic). I do believe satan takes advantage of our weaknesses though, so whatever oppression is happening can be helped by prayer....spending time in God's presence, and listening to worship music. You could even listen to Scripture in audio. Don't fret over it, just spend time in God's presence...no fancy words, just present yourself before Him, and invite Him to have His way.

Reactions: amadeus and Stuart

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks TLHKAJ

brings me to believe this is something physical and mental, rather than spiritual (demonic)

Its hard to disseminate between them :( who is to say which one is which? can you separate the mind from the body or the God from Creation? its hard to Judge? not that i am saying i think i am God, i am just trying to come to an understanding about it, its a tricky subject.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the best way to help someone who is mentally ill is by befriending them. :)

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can Christians help the mentally ill? The illness itself? Well, to be brutally honest with you, there isn't anything that can be done about it. Unless God gave you the gift of healing, to lay hands on them to cure their illness, you're just pissing in the wind. There is a reason why the Bible doesn't say much about mental illnesses, its because it won't be a determining factor in whether or not your name gets in the book of life or not. That's all that should matter to you when it comes down to it.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been a Christian all my life but not actively until about 7 years ago, i have had a mental illness for a long time but i accept that it must be part of the plan,

The responding Christian's best action, IMO, is to just pray and be supportive; be a good friend.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say to come alongside of others and be there for them, support them, and pray for them. We are to encourage one another in faith and love one another. Point each other to God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks TLHKAJ

Its hard to disseminate between them :( who is to say which one is which? can you separate the mind from the body or the God from Creation? its hard to Judge? not that i am saying i think i am God, i am just trying to come to an understanding about it, its a tricky subject.

Stuart, I've been dealing with my own mental illness that I have alleviated with medication and others as well as I have family and acquaintances that are more mentally ill than I am for 25+ years. Mine is only slight mental illness so meds work well for me.

What I have learned is that the mental illness begins to look demonic and involve God and demons only if that person is religious or when they become religious. True demonic possession is probably rare and they would be terrible sinners. Mental illness got a bad rap centuries ago by being mistaken as demonic possession. If you desire a more healthy approach to mental illness you should avoid people that promote the idea that mental illness is demonic.

If you have questions about whether or not your suffering demonic influence or God influence, I would suggest talking to a professional psychiatrist who has education and a degree in mental illness. A good Christian counselor is always a good idea as well.

God Bless!

Reactions: Mayflower