Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
followed the link in the OP but I’m not too knowledgeable in this area. I’m not sure where you want the thread to go? Red lipstick has no shock factor in today’s world. Red lipstick is tame compared to women on stage in barely any clothing straddling a chair for all to see. What used to be seen or paid for by men seeking affectionate company behind closed doors, is now broadcasted live on national television and celebrated. The shock factor has been raised till there is no shock factor anymore. It is rebellion against anything pure or modest, and goes hand-in-hand with our society today and values; in a world that markets women and children as sex slaves to the highest bidder. I don’t know what else to say...we haven’t progressed but have regressed right into the dung heap. Three coats and you will believe in magic!”
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/too-faced-better-than-sex-mascara?ID=1032901

But there is hope!
Give God the glory because there is still hope!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
See post #1.
farouk, farouk, farouk... wake up!...red lips signify excited female genitalia....the currency used by the world to sell its products.
They are one of the practices and symbols used in society, their pagan roots obscured by willing ignorance.
Shall Israel join hands and dance with Moab with impunity?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
farouk, farouk, farouk... wake up!...red lips signify exited female genitalia....the currency used by the world to sell its products.
They are one of the practices and symbols used in society, their pagan roots obscured by willing ignorance.
Shall Israel join hands and dance with Moab with impunity?
I'm sure this was not what the suffragettes had in mind, as per post #1.

Reactions: Butterfly

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 FYI, did you see this recent thread and poll?
Really can't see the point of this thread on a Christian board...but I voted in case my 'missing' it meant there was a point!
I don't often wear lipstick because I don't often go places that call for it. I'd look a tad overdressed. And when I do wear lippy it's not red...not my colouring at all! But when the occasion does call for it, I wear it happily.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Really can't see the point of this thread on a Christian board...but I voted in case my 'missing' it meant there was a point!
I don't often wear lipstick because I don't often go places that call for it. I'd look a tad overdressed. And when I do wear lippy it's not red...not my colouring at all! But when the occasion does call for it, I wear it happily.
Re. suffragettes, you're in Australia, right? and so you guys have complusory voting in elections, right?

Probably the original significance of the suffragettes and the red lips is more or less lost these days where there is compulsory voting in elections. (Not just, 'may vote' but 'must vote'.)

So you prefer another colour in any case? :)

Thanks for your comment and poll vote, anyway.

PS: I think suffragette Christabel Pankhust was association with various Christian causes.

B

brakelite

Like quiet thinker I am wondering at your motivation for these topics. First you were recommending Christian tattoos. Then ear piercings. Now make up. Why are you constantly promoting the degradation of the human body through these superficial and artificial embellishments?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Like quiet thinker I am wondering at your motivation for these topics. First you were recommending Christian tattoos. Then ear piercings. Now make up. Why are you constantly promoting the degradation of the human body through these superficial and artificial embellishments?
Okay, ladies: explain why it's not 'degradation'...

(Except that it's not only women that wear earrings and tattoos...)

B

Butterfly

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. I do not personally agree that it is a degradation of the human body, however when I grew up in the punk era in the 70's in the uk, I definately felt that putting safety pins ect all over your face was not attractive at all. I do not see a tongue or nose piercing as attractive, and those ear rings that stretch the ears. Is seeing something as unattractive the same as viewing it a degradation , not sure ?
Some people get tattoos to hide scars, they may wear make up to cover up scars or to give them a little bit more confidence.
I remember a friend of mine wore lipstick to church, the preacher had a go at her from the pulpit and accused her of being a harlot and destined to hell as a result - it was a strict baptist church. She wasn't allowed to wear trouser, wasn't allowed to do a whole list of things , and condemned to hell if she did .
Yet behind closed doors her uncle and grandfather were sexually abusing her - he was a member of the same congregation who condemned her for wearing lipstick !!!!!
We are not answerable to God for what someone else does, we are answerable to God for what we personally do, and thankfully God knows the reasons behind what we do and why.
I wonder how many men put on aftershave, or shave a moustache and beard to make it look good, get their hair cut and styled - well wearing lipstick and putting an earring on is no different !
Rita

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. I do not personally agree that it is a degradation of the human body, however when I grew up in the punk era in the 70's in the uk, I definately felt that putting safety pins ect all over your face was not attractive at all. I do not see a tongue or nose piercing as attractive, and those ear rings that stretch the ears. Is seeing something as unattractive the same as viewing it a degradation , not sure ?
Some people get tattoos to hide scars, they may wear make up to cover up scars or to give them a little bit more confidence.
Lip coloring - for those who do it - is hardly degradation of the human body! Yes, a lot more ppl - especially women - have more confidence to get tattooed than was the case years ago.

Reactions: Butterfly
B

brakelite

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Isaiah3:16 ¶ Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:
17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.
18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,
19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,
20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,
21 The rings, and nose jewels,
22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,
23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.
24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

1 Tim.2:9 ¶ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The following was written in the 19th century. I think it a great shame such is not taught so much today. What have we become?

Our dress is to represent our character—what we are, and what is in our heart. The following statement brings out the thought I have in mind:
“Are we confessing Christ in our daily life? Do we confess him in our dress, adorning ourselves with plain and modest apparel? Is our adorning that of the meek and quiet spirit which is of so great price in the sight of God? Are we seeking to advance the cause of the Master? Is the line of demarcation between you and the world distinct, or are you seeking to follow the fashions of this degenerate age? Is there no difference between you and the worldling? Does the same spirit work in you that works in the children of disobedience? If we are Christians, we shall follow Christ, even though the path in which we are to walk cuts right across our natural inclinations. There is no use in telling you that you must not wear this or that, for if the love of these vain things is in your heart, your laying off your adornments will only be like cutting the foliage off a tree. The inclinations of the natural heart would again assert themselves. You must have a conscience of your own.”
As Christian women today, it is our privilege at all times to be so modestly attired that our dress will be a witness of our profession.
“Let us remember that the elements of beauty lie not so much in feature and color as in the expression of intelligence and benevolence. The use of lipstick, unnatural shades of fingernail polish and similar cosmetics employed in the common ‘make-up’ partake of the artificial and are out of keeping with Christian simplicity. Cleanliness and Christlike modesty should also be observed in the care and grooming of the person seeking at all times to please and rightly represent Christ our Lord."

Reactions: quietthinker

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Isaiah3:16 ¶ Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:
17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.
18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,
19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,
20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,
21 The rings, and nose jewels,
22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,
23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.
24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

1 Tim.2:9 ¶ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The following was written in the 19th century. I think it a great shame such is not taught so much today. What have we become?

Our dress is to represent our character—what we are, and what is in our heart. The following statement brings out the thought I have in mind:
“Are we confessing Christ in our daily life? Do we confess him in our dress, adorning ourselves with plain and modest apparel? Is our adorning that of the meek and quiet spirit which is of so great price in the sight of God? Are we seeking to advance the cause of the Master? Is the line of demarcation between you and the world distinct, or are you seeking to follow the fashions of this degenerate age? Is there no difference between you and the worldling? Does the same spirit work in you that works in the children of disobedience? If we are Christians, we shall follow Christ, even though the path in which we are to walk cuts right across our natural inclinations. There is no use in telling you that you must not wear this or that, for if the love of these vain things is in your heart, your laying off your adornments will only be like cutting the foliage off a tree. The inclinations of the natural heart would again assert themselves. You must have a conscience of your own.”
As Christian women today, it is our privilege at all times to be so modestly attired that our dress will be a witness of our profession.
“Let us remember that the elements of beauty lie not so much in feature and color as in the expression of intelligence and benevolence. The use of lipstick, unnatural shades of fingernail polish and similar cosmetics employed in the common ‘make-up’ partake of the artificial and are out of keeping with Christian simplicity. Cleanliness and Christlike modesty should also be observed in the care and grooming of the person seeking at all times to please and rightly represent Christ our Lord."
Great verses there. They don't, however, completely exclude coloring.

B

Butterfly

what about Esther - she went through a whole range of beauty treatments , she is an admired and respected women of God - no one would doubt her service to the Lord or how greatly she was used.
just a thought !!!!

Reactions: Helen
B

brakelite

what about Esther - she went through a whole range of beauty treatments , she is an admired and respected women of God - no one would doubt her service to the Lord or how greatly she was used.
just a thought !!!!
Very true...but was it for her service as a child of God so she would be chosen of the king, or was it for selfish display and vanity?
If a Christian woman was applying for a secular job, I would expect that she would present herself in the best possible manner as appropriate for the position she is applying for. But I have been to many different churches...some the people were more casual than if they were going to the beach...other churches they dress up as if attending a costume party. Who are we trying to impress? Now I am not just speaking of women. My teenage grandsons spend more time in front of the mirror before they go to church than to any other event...which is great if they were doing it for the Lord...but there are a number of pretty girls in the congregation. It is all about motive, and like the quote said above...what is the real reflection of who we are.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very true...but was it for her service as a child of God so she would be chosen of the king, or was it for selfish display and vanity?
If a Christian woman was applying for a secular job, I would expect that she would present herself in the best possible manner as appropriate for the position she is applying for. But I have been to many different churches...some the people were more casual than if they were going to the beach...other churches they dress up as if attending a costume party. Who are we trying to impress? Now I am not just speaking of women. My teenage grandsons spend more time in front of the mirror before they go to church than to any other event...which is great if they were doing it for the Lord...but there are a number of pretty girls in the congregation. It is all about motive, and like the quote said above...what is the real reflection of who we are.
My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without 'putting on her face'...

However, it would be a long shot to want to attribute to all who 'put on their faces' supposedly inevitable derogatory mental states.

Reactions: Helen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
just a thought !!!!
Esther was under immense obligation. She did not choose to her position. She was compelled by the ruling authority. However, in her situation she played her hand wisely. I hope and desire that women of God today also play their hand wisely and not excuse the ways of the world by appealing to Esther's situation.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without 'putting on her face'...

However, it would be a long shot to want to attribute to all who 'put on their faces' supposedly inevitable derogatory mental states.
'putting on a face' is just that. We are called to be real, not actors ie pretenders. If pretending makes us feel comfortable we witness to a massive deficit.

Reactions: amadeus