Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
'putting on a face' is just that. We are called to be real, not actors ie pretenders. If pretending makes us feel comfortable we witness to a massive deficit.
So how do those words you used apply to my wife simply trying to look tidy and smart in an appropriate way? Romans 14 implies reasonable personal freedom.

B

brakelite

So how do those words you used apply to my wife simply trying to look tidy and smart in an appropriate way? Romans 14 implies reasonable personal freedom.
So did Paul change his mind between Col. 2:8 and Romans 14? Or perhaps we need to look at one in light of the other? Use our freedom wisely without allowing the world to dictate how we should behave?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So did Paul change his mind between Col. 2:8 and Romans 14? Or perhaps we need to look at one in light of the other? Use our freedom wisely without allowing the world to dictate how we should behave?
I do believe my wife has a Godly respect for Scripture, exercising reasonable personal freedom.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was the Pharisees who 'put on a face'. Do you think Jesus took their feelings into consideration when he called them on it? His words were plain enough and I think mine are also.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was the Pharisees who 'put on a face'. Do you think Jesus took their feelings into consideration when he called them on it? His words were plain enough and I think mine are also.
So you're saying that my wife and all women are wrong to use any coloring all...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So ladies, when you next use some nice red, remember it all goes back over a century to the suffragettes and Elizabeth Arden.

(Any poll votes?)
LOL
Whoeva would known????
And I bet no girl here cares.....

Reactions: farouk

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without 'putting on her face'...

However, it would be a long shot to want to attribute to all who 'put on their faces' supposedly inevitable derogatory mental states.

Our old pastor used to say:-
" If the barn needs painting, paint it...we have to look at it! "

images.png

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

Very true...but was it for her service as a child of God so she would be chosen of the king, or was it for selfish display and vanity?
If a Christian woman was applying for a secular job, I would expect that she would present herself in the best possible manner as appropriate for the position she is applying for. But I have been to many different churches...some the people were more casual than if they were going to the beach...other churches they dress up as if attending a costume party. Who are we trying to impress? Now I am not just speaking of women. My teenage grandsons spend more time in front of the mirror before they go to church than to any other event...which is great if they were doing it for the Lord...but there are a number of pretty girls in the congregation. It is all about motive, and like the quote said above...what is the real reflection of who we are.
Sorry I did not have time to expand on my post this morning , had to go to work. Yes I would agree about the motive, which is why I do not agree that it is totally wrong to wear make up. I agree about the Sunday morning fashion show in some churches, but many would say they do it for the Lord.
I do not believe that Esther did what she did for vanity, but that was the point I intended to raise.
I was thinking about the other extreme today , women having to completely cover themselves up so that they cannot be seen by other men - is that modesty, detaching from the world or oppression !?
Rita

Reactions: Helen
B

Butterfly

Esther was under immense obligation. She did not choose to her position. She was compelled by the ruling authority. However, in her situation she played her hand wisely. I hope and desire that women of God today also play their hand wisely and not excuse the ways of the world by appealing to Esther's situation.
I wasn't excusing the ways of the world by appealing to Esther's situation, merely using her as an example to show that the motive is relevant.
Rita

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lip coloring - for those who do it - is hardly degradation of the human body! Yes, a lot more ppl - especially women - have more confidence to get tattooed than was the case years ago.
Many things are done today more readily than they were some years ago. Should we follow the crowd?

You say that lip coloring is hardly degradation of the human body, but did that conclusion come from God or from somewhere else? What is degrading according to God?

In spite of what anyone may think, I don't believe we own the body of flesh and bone in which we dwell. We are only stewards of that which belongs to God. How good of a job are we doing according to Him? Without His instruction to do so, should we be making permanent marks of any kind on it?

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" I Cor 6:19

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wasn't excusing the ways of the world by appealing to Esther's situation, merely using her as an example to show that the motive is relevant.
Rita
A lot of Christian brides will likewise spent quite a while getting ready for the wedding, right? My wife had her face done by a professional.

B

Butterfly

PS: This thread was supposed to be about suffragettes; now some ppl are trying to discuss whether it should even be worn at all! :)
That's the nature of discussions !
However the suffragettes fought for women's rights, and actually the whole debate about what ' Christian ' women should and shouldn't do is also about their rights. I very rarely see debates on what men should and shouldn't do ( although the tattoo debate applies to both ) yet there are always many men that seem to be experts about ' How ' the opposite sex should act, dress, look
Wonder what the views are on Joan of arc - proberbly wrong for her to wear armour !! ( being sarcastic !!!!! )
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's the nature of discussions !
However the suffragettes fought for women's rights, and actually the whole debate about what ' Christian ' women should and shouldn't do is also about their rights. I very rarely see debates on what men should and shouldn't do ( although the tattoo debate applies to both ) yet there are always many men that seem to be experts about ' How ' the opposite sex should act, dress, look
Wonder what the views are on Joan of arc - proberbly wrong for her to wear armour !! ( being sarcastic !!!!! )
Rita
Interesting comments! and you speak with some authority as a tattooed woman, of course, right? Actually, re.Joan of Arc, there is a Chateau in France where Joan of Arc (the daughter of the French king) is supposed to have lived after someone called by her name was burnt at the stake (which stoked the fires of French nationalism).

B

brakelite

My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without 'putting on her face'...

However, it would be a long shot to want to attribute to all who 'put on their faces' supposedly inevitable derogatory mental states.
I am not denigrating anyone. I am just offering a challenge and asking the question. Who do we represent? Why is it that we now before modern society in order to meet their standards. The ads in magazines and on all manner of media constantly bombard our women folk with the message... You are not good enough without my help. You are not pretty enough. You are not slim enough. So we get bolemics and all manner of self esteem issues throughout society. suicides result. But God says, come to me as you are. And I will recreate you from the inside out... And you won't need to bother about the outside.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am not denigrating anyone. I am just offering a challenge and asking the question. Who do we represent? Why is it that we now before modern society in order to meet their standards. The ads in magazines and on all manner of media constantly bombard our women folk with the message... You are not good enough without my help. You are not pretty enough. You are not slim enough. So we get bolemics and all manner of self esteem issues throughout society. suicides result. But God says, come to me as you are. And I will recreate you from the inside out... And you won't need to bother about the outside.
I am sure that there is truth and value to these comments of yours. Thank-you.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
re.Joan of Arc, there is a Chateau in France where Joan of Arc (the daughter of the French king) is supposed to have lived after someone called by her name was burnt at the stake (which stoked the fires of French nationalism).

Just being picky here. :)

She was not a daughter of a king...she was a farmers daughter. A peasant.
She came to fame when in 1415, King Henry V of England invaded northern France. And she felt called of the Lord to rise up and defeat him etc etc..

Just saying.. :D

Reactions: amadeus