Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historical lipstick memories: Ladies, do you wear your lipstick with confidence and satisfaction?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can attest to the fact that the bright red lipstick was often thought of by guys to suggest certain things that most other shades did not necessarily convey. Whether this was accurate or just rumor is hard to say? I have heard of the supposed representation, but I was more taught it was a signal.

But growing up in the 60s and coming of age in the 70s, what was the deal with the powder blue eye shadow?? Not to derail this?

Oh and in my early 20s, my ex-wife and I were sincerely if a bit misguided. We went Pentecostal austere. No jewelry, no make up, just straight long hair. Her family became concerned. A certain amount of flaw concealing and slight enhancement seems not too bad. But the 'popping' stuff and little black dresses and all that. The stuff that I have seen in church. Its amazing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can attest to the fact that the bright red lipstick was often thought of by guys to suggest certain things that most other shades did not necessarily convey. Whether this was accurate or just rumor is hard to say? I have heard of the supposed representation, but I was more taught it was a signal.

But growing up in the 60s and coming of age in the 70s, what was the deal with the powder blue eye shadow?? Not to derail this?

Oh and in my early 20s, my ex-wife and I were sincerely if a bit misguided. We went Pentecostal austere. No jewelry, no make up, just straight long hair. Her family became concerned. A certain amount of flaw concealing and slight enhancement seems not too bad. But the 'popping' stuff and little black dresses and all that. The stuff that I have seen in church. Its amazing.
I guess that the historical, pre-World War One link with the suffragettes and Elizabeth Arden is interesting...

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that the historical, pre-World War One link with the suffragettes and Elizabeth Arden is interesting...

"Red lipstick had a bit of a hard time from the Greeks and Romans. It was used to indicate whether one’s profession was prostitution."

Well, there we go.

Possible that the movement used it because it was the most defiant shade?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Red lipstick had a bit of a hard time from the Greeks and Romans. It was used to indicate whether one’s profession was prostitution."

Well, there we go.

Possible that the movement used it because it was the most defiant shade?
Well, I'm sure the suffragettes weren't thinking of this perceived aspect...:confused:

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'm sure the suffragettes weren't thinking of this perceived aspect...:confused:

No, not the prostitute one. But maybe there was a social norm that 'respectable' girls/women don't wear such outrageous shades. So to further make obvious their defiance, wore it? As in no one will tell them what shades that they can wear.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, not the prostitute one. But maybe there was a social norm that 'respectable' girls/women don't wear such outrageous shades. So to further make obvious their defiance, wore it? As in no one will tell them what shades that they can wear.
It came to be associated with the suffragettes, anyway.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't believe this thread has so many posts! Sorry, Farouk, but a thread on lipstick??? I know, I've already dissed this thread, sorry! I do wear lipstick because my lips tend to disappear if I don't. I use Burt's Bees because it's made of 97% natural ingredients and helps keep my lips from drying out....

As far as the feminist movement goes, sometimes I think they've done more harm than good. I believe in women's rights, but IMO, the movement was highjacked by ultra liberals who hate men. Also, I think the movement got more women out of the home, where our kids need us, and into the workforce. With both parents working, kids have suffered. As a teacher, I've worked with so many kids who really needed their moms at home. I know this is a very old-fashioned perspective, but sometimes the old ways are better, IMHO. I'm saying "IMO" because I don't want to offend any women, esp. those who have had to work outside the home.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can't believe this thread has so many posts! Sorry, Farouk, but a thread on lipstick??? I know, I've already dissed this thread, sorry! I do wear lipstick because my lips tend to disappear if I don't. I use Burt's Bees because it's made of 97% natural ingredients and helps keep my lips from drying out....

As far as the feminist movement goes, sometimes I think they've done more harm than good. I believe in women's rights, but IMO, the movement was highjacked by ultra liberals who hate men. Also, I think the movement got more women out of the home, where our kids need us, and into the workforce. With both parents working, kids have suffered. As a teacher, I've worked with so many kids who really needed their moms at home. I know this is a very old-fashioned perspective, but sometimes the old ways are better, IMHO. I'm saying "IMO" because I don't want to offend any women, esp. those who have had to work outside the home.
:)