Hope, Faith, and Love.. and the Great isn't faith.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@brian100 , after reading through this thread, and several other of your posts elsewhere, all I can say is that you are extremely irrational and unreasonable within your thought process. To the point, that there seems to be very little devotion and sincerity within you. You speak of very lofty ideals, but your undeniable lack of wisdom, and frivolous adherence to mysticism, and extremely selective and biased definition of inspired Scripture, exposes a highly misguided incentive behind your convictions.

You are not to be taken seriously!

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the topic is why Love is greater than having Faith. I'm the only one who addressed it.

Nobody here understood it b.c they are fighting me with Paul. Huh? Is that all the bible is to you people?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
interesting enough, people without hope are damned
yet, love is the main characteristic of citizens of heaven - it is what humans were created to do.

Jesus came to save us from damnation (a hopeless state of being) and to bring us back to our purpose, which is love.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behold

Paul warned us against being his follower

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My faith is all in Jesus.. not in Paul. What ever Paul had to say .. I don't need it.

Paul was just a man.. Jesus is God. And Mary is up there with him as a Light. Luke came to visit me not Paul. Why Luke?? He wrote the chapter on the BVM.
Why Paul wrote from Revelation, HE was taught by Jesus, not by men, he is supposed to be our example, that all men be taught by God and revelation.

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: mailmandan

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the topic is why Love is greater than having Faith. I'm the only one who addressed it.

Nobody here understood it b.c they are fighting me with Paul. Huh? Is that all the bible is to you people?
Seems to me Jesus did his fighting with the false teachings/teachers of His day.

Matthew 12:34 (NASB) "You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

John 2:14-16 (KJV) And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

'Love' isn't always what we think it is.

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know that scene.. that was the Pharasee saying to Jesus he was never helping a blind man b/c he was never blind. But that has nothing to do with why Love is better than just faith.

If you have no love-- you might not make it. Is my guess. My Dad told me he believed in God just in case there was one. So faith is ... skin deep?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Addressing love without practicing it is a wasted effort. You have apparently decided that God's plan is that which is best for you. Wrong on both counts. One, that is not God's plan and two, even though you may think so it is not best for you.

What you you have practiced here on this forum is not of God. It is of brian100 and there for not Love for God is Love!

God gave man Love in Jesus, but God gave man an explanation or definition of Love in the writings of Paul. Do you need both? Have you asked God that question... or have you decided you know His will without bothering to ask Him?

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

And also...

"Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others"

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. You have apparently decided that God's plan is that which is best for you.

You need to look at what I've posted about this "Hope, Faith, and Love" Love is the best

John 15
7 If you abide in me and my words abide in you,
you shall ask whatever you will: and it shall be done unto you.

I want her back! God made me love her.

I'm just showing you guys why love is greater! My theory is its a 2 heart heaven.

Mark 10:6-9

6 But from the beginning of the creation, Male and female made he them.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife;

8 and the two shall become one flesh: so that they are no more two, but one flesh.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Ask yourself do you love anyone?

When i get to HEAVEN

Matthew 22:2

2 The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a certain king, who made a marriage feast for his son,

So God and I agree?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still developing your own set of rules and using only the written words from scripture which support your rules. A fiction writer who can do that well may be able to make a good living in this world that way, but with God you must find His Way and walk in it. You missed the turn a ways back and are on the wrong road. You cannot pick and choose. The whole loaf is needed!

Reactions: mailmandan

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus,

I'm looking into what heaven is.
Downstairs its probably same gender.

This is why I need to understand Love.. is better than faith. Faith and no love?

I'd rather have faith and love.

I'm not guessing what Heaven is going to be, and lots of people think you are a bodiless spirit playing harps 24/7.

So now you are saying Its impossible to know what heaven is?

For me Love was heaven.

If you are going to heaven for any other reason than Love... u might not make it? Maybe if you just believe you get a blind match make.

You have to lose everything to find Heaven. Rich people never find love.. aka heaven.

Last edited:

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys have to get past this.. I've already arrived.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; for he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall save it.

My life is toast without my love. . . I just let her walk away. B/c trying to save what I had I would of lost every thing with her. Love is all you have. She left me on a terrible lie from my X. And I'm sure it had something to do with my Shroud project way off into the future.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus,

I'm looking into what heaven is.
Where would you be looking? Jesus speaks about the kingdom heaven in parables in Matthew chapter 13. It is a good chapter to read which will help you to see what heaven is.
Downstairs its probably same gender.

This is why I need to understand Love.. is better than faith. Faith and no love?

I'd rather have faith and love.

We certainly need them both. Talk to God about it.

I'm not guessing what Heaven is going to be, and lots of people think you are a bodiless spirit playing harps 24/7.

So now you are saying Its impossible to know what heaven is?
That chapter 13 in Matthew helps a lot, but learn to stand with God and to always ask Him for help to understand His understanding instead of your own. If you really seek God carefully in humility He help you find everything that you need. Yes, Love and faith will be included, but don't try figure God out. Simply trust Him.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Seek those first two things first and God will add all the rest of what you need.

For me Love was heaven.

If you are going to heaven for any other reason than Love... u might not make it? Maybe if you just believe you get a blind match make
Actually your words are quite close to what I understand about approaching more closely to God. The only reason that works is that you really Love God. The blind match you are talking about is your love for God even before you can really see Him. If you give God all that you have it may not seem to amount to much, but then God will supply any need difference. It's like a little kid in a candy store with only a couple of nickels in his pocket wanting to buy a candy bar. The candy bar cost several nickels at least, but the kindly old woman behind the counter looks at the little boy with loving eyes and pulls the rest of the money he needs out of her own pocket and hands him a candy bar.

The little boy did not understand the value of money or the cost of candy, but he was willing to give all he had. When it wasn't enough, someone with love in their heart supplied the difference. Is that not how God works?

You have to lose everything to find Heaven.

Or...?

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it." Matt 13:45-46

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love is a gift from God.. people claim to have it, but if the money went missing they find someone else. I know about Love.

My love didn't go missing.. and I know for sure its not worth 0 to God.

Matthew5:46
English Standard Version
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?
Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

My reward is her.

Hes talking about people who only love people that fall in love with them.

He wants you to be in love! You will never know heaven if you have never been in love.

Last edited:

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it." Matt 13:45-46

Yes I'm leaving all my wealth to God for the fine pearl parable. The pearl is my beloved. A man will sell all he owns for his beloved. I used to ask myself what would cause me to sell it all. Now I know.

Finally one guy who got this. :) very good! Right on Amadeus.

The wealth then becomes God's and not the devils.

If I leave it to my Son, the devil gets him over riches. I can use my wealth to buy him too. . . Treasure buried in a field parable. Buried loved ones.

Last edited:

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually your words are quite close to what I understand about approaching more closely to God. The only reason that works is that you really Love God. The blind match you are talking about is your love for God even before you can really see Him.

Its not the same love you have for your 'beloved'.. God for me is more Faith based family love, and not a physical love. Like a Dad love! Like a Father I haven't met! But know I have. I'm sure God has his Queen already! God knows I need my wife. But the Devil also knows if he take her away he make my life miserable.

So my plan is to follow Jesus to paradise! Go for all love package pearl... of great value. The Pearl has to be your 'beloved!' What else is it?

pearl.jpg

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not the same love you have for your 'beloved'.. God for me is more Faith based family love, and not a physical love. Like a Dad love! Like a Father I haven't met! But know I have. I'm sure God has his Queen already! God knows I need my wife. But the Devil also knows if he take her away he make my life miserable.

So my plan is to follow Jesus to paradise! Go for all love package pearl... of great value. The Pearl has to be your 'beloved!' What else is it?
Keep striving toward and surrendering to our Father. Give God the glory!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the same man who said

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
'also says:

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

this is the OED's def. on charity that goes back as far as 1382 AD, note the word caritas of the vulgate hence Latin

1. Christian love: a word representing caritas of the Vulgate, as a frequent rendering of 2c0pg in N.T. Greek. With various applications: as †a. God's love to man. (By early writers often identified with the Holy Spirit.) Obs.
c1200 Ormin 3000, & Godess Gast iss kariteþ & soþfasst lufe nemmnedd; & tatt wass all þurrh kariteþ & þurrh soþ lufe forþedd Þatt Godess sune AllmahtiŠ Godd Warrþ mann of Sannte MarŠe. 138. Wyclif Sel. Wks. III. 509 „oven of Crist of+his endeles charitee to mankinde. 1382 I Rom. viii. 39 The charite [Tindale, etc. love, Rhem. charitie] of God, that is in Jhesu Crist oure Lord. 1488 Caxton Chast. Goddes Chyld. 27 The whiche goodnes is god hymself for he ys all charyte. 1588 A. King tr. Canisius' Catech. 223 Be the merit of the same maist haly Passion the Charitie of God is powred forth in thair hartes. [1839 J. H. Newman Par. Serm. IV. xxi. 363 Charity is but another name for the Comforter.]

†b. Man's love of God and his neighbour, commanded as the fulfilling of the Law, Matt. xxii. 37, 39. Obs.
c1175 Lamb. Hom. 39 Hwet is riht cherite+þet þu luuie þine drihten ofer+alle eorðliche þing+and seoðdan beoden uwilc mon swa þu waldest þet me þe bude, þis is riht cherite. c1200 Vices & Virtues 21 Ic clepie and bidde for ðo muchele kariteð ðe is an Šeu. c1315 Shoreham 3 That man lovye God and man, Ase charité hyt hoteth. 1488 Caxton Chast. Goddes Chyld. 27 In goodnes of charyte is a bonde of loue the whiche draeth us to god. 1547 Homilies i. Charity ii. (1859) 69 Charity stretcheth itself both to God and man, friend and foe. 1552 Abp. Hamilton Catech. (1884) 42 Quhate is cherite? It is lufe, quharby we lufe God for his awin saik+and our neichbour for Gods saik, or in God. 1557 N. T. (Genev.) Rev. ii. 4 Neuerthelesse, I haue somwhat agaynst thee, because thou hast left thy fyrst charitie. [So Wyclif, and Rhemish: Geneva 1560 ‘love’.] 1643 Sir T. Browne Relig. Med. ii. §14 This I think charity, to love God for himselfe, and our neighbours for God. 1846 Keble in Plain Serm. VIII. ccxli, Charity—the true love of God in Christ+ensures the practice of all other virtues.

c. esp. The Christian love of our fellow-men; Christian benignity of disposition expressing itself in Christ-like conduct: one of the ‘three Christian graces’, fully described by St. Paul, 1 Cor. xiii.
(One of the chief current senses in devotional language, though hardly otherwise without qualification as ‘Christian charity’, etc. In the Revised Version, the word has disappeared, and love has been substituted.)
a1300 Cursor M. 10043 Cherite [v.r. cheryte, charite] euer fordos envie. 1382 Wyclif i Cor. viii. 1 Sothli science, or kunnynge, inblowith with pride: charite edifieth. Ibid. xiii. 13 Nowe forsothe dwellen feith, hope, and charite, thes thre; forsoth the mooste of thes is charite. c1450 Lay-Folks Mass-Bk. 308 Haue cherité with herte fyne+ That eche man loue wel othere. 1587 Golding De Mornay xx. 318 Some tell vs that Religion is nothing els but charitie, that is to say, the performing of a mans duetie towards his neighbour. 1596 Shakes. Merch. V. iv. i. 261 'Twere good you do so much for charitie. Iew. I cannot finde it, 'tis not in the bond. 1628 Earle Microcosm. (Arb.) 63 A Shee precise Hypocrite+Shee is so taken vp with Faith, shee ha's no roome for Charity. 1796 H. Hunter tr. St. Pierre's Stud. Nat. (1799) III. 483 The charity of the Gospel should extend to men of every Religion. 1845 R. Jebb in Encycl. Metrop. (1847) II. 709/1 The law of charity does not require me to have a greater regard for him than for myself. But, on the other hand, the same law requires that I should not have a less.

d. In this sense often personified in poetic language, painting, sculpture, etc.
c1300 Deus Caritas 33 in E.E.P. (1862) 127 Let Charite nou a-wake, And do hit þer neode is. 1377 Langl. P. Pl. viii. 45 Charite þe champioun chief help aŠein synne. 1726 Thomson Winter 354 The conscious heart of Charity would warm. 17+ H. More Ode Charity, O Charity, divinely wise, Thou meek-ey'd Daughter of the skies! c1850 G. Rorison Hymn to Trinity, Lift on us thy Light Divine: And let charity benign Breathe on us her balm.

e. in, out of, charity: in or out of the Christian state of charity, or love and right feeling towards one's fellow Christians.
c138. Wyclif Wks. (1880) 274 A symple pater noster of a plouŠman þat his in charite is betre þan a thousand massis of coueitouse prelatis. 1393 Langl. P. Pl. C. xi. 38 He falleþ nat out of charite. 1455 E. Clere in Four C. Eng. Lett. 5 And he seith he is in charitee with all the world. 1519 W. Horman Vulg. xxiv. 201, I can nat be in charity with hym that holdeth wrongefully from me my landis. 1633 Massinger New Way i. ii, I am out of charity With none so much as the thin-gutted squire. 1735 Pope Donne's Sat. iv. 3, I die in charity with fool and knave. 1816 Jane Austen Emma III. xiv. 257 She was now in perfect charity with Frank Churchill.

now the Latin
and its meaning certainly falls under the catholic terminology
hence its true meaning in the Christian context:
_________________________________________________________________________-
excerpts from Wikipedia

In Christian theology, Charity (Latin Caritas) is considered as one of the seven virtues and is understood by Thomas Aquinas as "the friendship of man for God", which "unites us to God". He holds it as "the most excellent of the virtues".[1] Further, Aquinas holds that "the habit of charity extends not only to the love of God, but also to the love of our neighbor".[2]

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines "charity" as "the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God".

The phrase Deus caritas est from 1 John 4:8—or Θεὸς ἀγάπη ἐστίν (Theos agapē estin) in the original Greek[4] is translated in the King James Version as: "God is love", and in the Douay-Rheims bible as: "God is charity" (1 John 4:8). Thomas Aquinas does not simply equate charity with "love", which he holds as a passion, not a virtue.[5] The King James Version uses both the words charity and love to translate the idea of caritas/ἀγάπη (agapē): sometimes it uses one, then sometimes the other, for the same concept. Most other English translations, both before and since, do not; instead, throughout they use the same more direct English word love. Love can have other meanings in English, but as used in the New Testament it almost always refers to the virtue of caritas.

Many times when charity is mentioned in English-language bibles, it refers to "love of God", which is a spiritual love that is extended from God to man and then reflected by man, who is made in the image of God, back to God. God gives man the power to act as God acts (God is love), man then reflects God's power in his own human actions towards others. One example of this movement is "charity shall cover the multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8). "The practice of charity brings us to act toward ourselves and others out of love alone, precisely because each person has the dignity of a beloved child of God."

Charity is held to be the ultimate perfection of the human spirit, because it is said to both glorify and reflect the nature of God. Confusion can arise from the multiple meanings of the English word "love". As other theological virtues, Charity is divinely infused into the soul; it resides in the will.[7] According to Aquinas, charity is an absolute requirement for happiness, which he holds as man's last goal.

so how does that manifest itself in the Lord God

all that the Almighty has provided for the creatures of the earth including man no matter how wicked man is, is freely given, without restraint and no one will be required to pay Him back.

the super sonic Grace of God, charity, still today understood as giving without expectation of return. even the world understands it, but Christians theologize it, and redefine it to mean their own love in their own judgement, which could be the love of and for anything.

when the woman with the issue touched the hem of His garment Jesus said "who touched me"

Luk 8:45 And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
Luk 8:46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

that woman owned Jesus nothing nor did He give her any guilt trip of such, He even said it was because of her faith.

that is charity. giving without expectation of return. so yes, God is charity.

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep striving toward and surrendering to our Father. Give God the glory!

God hasn't left me homeless at least, and I told him if that happens I would die in the gutter. But I' m learning fast all his power and he can snap his finger and my beloved will love me forvever in the paradise. God wants all us to be happy.. The promise I heard was he couldn't promise happiness in this world, only in the next! Why should I worry.. this life is over for me I'm old now.. I see old as hell, and alone. Once you realize that you can give it all to God.