How are we to reckon ourselves as being dead to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you really that disturbed??? I wrote, "Unlike yourself, I read and understand what the Bible says".

I DISAGREE with you. Apparently you are incapable of understanding that.
So you understand the Bible and I do not correct ?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Christophany" means an appearance or non-physical manifestation of Christ. Clearly anyone who uses that description about himself is suffering from a very, very serious delusion.

Reactions: Episkopos

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Christophany" means an appearance or non-physical manifestation of Christ. Clearly anyone who uses that description about himself is suffering from a very, very serious delusion.
Wrong the word means an appearance of Christ in the OT as YHWH. You cannot even get that right. Yikes .

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lexicon can't be right or wrong. It's a book! Duh!
So the Bible can’t be right or wrong it’s a book . Next

Lexicons give words used in the Bible their definitions- meaning.

hope this helps !!!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong the word means an appearance of Christ in the OT as YHWH. You cannot even get that right. Yikes .
The more you post the more you make your mistakes apparent...

A Christophany is an appearance or non-physical manifestation of Christ. Traditionally the term refers to visions of Christ after his ascension, such as the bright light of the conversion of Paul the Apostle.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more you post the more you make your mistakes apparent...

A Christophany is an appearance or non-physical manifestation of Christ. Traditionally the term refers to visions of Christ after his ascension, such as the bright light of the conversion of Paul the Apostle.
Wrong again it’s an appearance of Christ in the OT just like a Theophany is an appearance of God in the OT.

Next

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the Bible can’t be right or wrong it’s a book . Next

Lexicons give words used in the Bible their definitions- meaning.

hope this helps !!!
I never said that the Bible isn't right: it contains the truth, God's words to humanity.

It's a classic error to think that if a person owns a lexicon that they understand the meaning of words in context. Your referring to a lexicon is a prime example!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ad hominems continue
Yes, you are continuing them! And shaming yourself in the process!

You are the one who wrote "Who are you yelling at the reflection in the mirror ? Or your shadow ?"

I will be ignoring you until you write something that has any value at all. That probably won't happen!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are the one who wrote "Who are you yelling at the reflection in the mirror ? Or your shadow ?"

I will be ignoring you until you write something that has any value at all. That probably won't happen!
I will go and do likewise I have yet to read anything of spiritual value in your posts , just insults

Reactions: amigo de christo

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you even a trinitarian?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learn to love.. Come to your Abba father, not in fear. but in love, knowing he has already forgiven you. While he may chasten you. he will never leave nor forsake. Confess also to your discipler or disciples.. So you can not only be open. but you can be accountable

This is what I have witnessed first hand that works..

Me trying to flee. or see the fear of God has never caused me to stop sin. or overcome it.

Me seeing Gods love, and fleeing to god not away from him, That has great power
Save SOME by compassion
others with FEAR hating even the garment spotted by the flesh .
Be encouraged my friend .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus Christ in the Old Testament (Christophany: Genesis 3:8)​

Word RTF

Question: I have been dialoguing with a person who claims that God Almighty Himself couldn't have been walking in the garden of Eden (Gen.3:8), because "no one can see God and live." He claims that "YHWH Elohim" there should be translated as: 'Him who is and who was and who is to become [one of the] mighty ones/gods'. This would mean angels, whom he claims were worshiped in the Old Testament (in whose ranks he seems to include Jesus). I know that all this is very wrong, but I would appreciate some linguistic ammunition to refute it.

Response: To start with, Adonai Elohiym (יהוה אלהים) in Gen.3:8 is the familiar formula for LORD God found everywhere in the Old Testament. The verb is singular here (as usual) because the grammatical subject of Adonai Elohiym is Adonai = YHVH which is singular and controls the construction. The translation supplied by your contact is, as you suspect, very wrong. In fact, this is not really a translation but an interpretation based upon some alternative theology (or perhaps I should say "theosophy"). The worship of angels in place of God has always been a cult tendency (cf. Col.2:18, and the book of Hebrews) - after all, Satan is an angel (cf. 2Cor.11:14). Also, the claim that Jesus is somehow not really or originally God or not truly Man is also a common cult tendency (I recommend having a look at these treatments of cult characteristics: Read Your Bible; Peter lesson #17; and Peter lesson #27).

As to the specifics of the translation you have been given, I suppose we are to understand "Him who is and who was and who is to become" as his translation of YHVH, and "mighty ones/gods" as his translation of ELOHIYM. The name YHVH expresses the fact that our God is the essence and origin of being (the name is derived from the Hebrew verb "to be": see "Essential Doctrines of the Bible in Outline: Part 1 Theology: The Study of God, section I, 'the Essence of God'"). The name ELOHIYM is the Hebrew plural of EL which, while it does mean "mighty (one)" and can refer to angels on occasion (cf. Jesus' statement that angels and men are "mighty" as creatures with free will and authority by THE Mighty One, our God: Jn.10:34-35). The fact that this name is plural when applied to God reflects both the superlative nature of His mightiness as well as the plurality of personality in the Trinity (cf. Gen.1:26, "let us make man").

Properly considered, these divine names tell us much about the awesome nature of our God. But there is nothing here that can be used (legitimately) to build such a theology as your conversant is adducing which makes God the Creator into a mere being, just because He has graciously used language to explain Himself to us which we might understand (He is mighty beyond mighty; He is the source of all existence, He exists in three Persons)? We are finite and our words are finite. Of necessity then, they will fall short in giving the infinite God His due, and, inevitably, opponents of truth will twist any name God uses for Himself to advance their own ends.

On the issue of "worshiping angels", the first thing to say is that we are to worship God, not angels, and that we are to worship the Son of God, truly God, Jesus Christ, not the present ruler of this world who seeks to imitate Him (cf. Matt.4:10). This is clear throughout scripture, including the Old Testament. Even when people try to "worship" angels in the Bible (which may be an understandable reaction to the appearance of such glorious creatures), they are told that it is wrong to do so (cf. Rev.19:10; 22:8-9). Now having said that, it is also important to note that, in the Old Testament, people do worship "the Angel of the Lord", but this is in fact an appearance of Jesus Christ before His incarnation (on the subject of such OT "Christophany", see "Essential Doctrines of the Bible in Outline: Part 1 Theology: The Study of God, section II.C, 'The Trinity in the Old Testament'"). The word for "angel" in both the Hebrew and the Greek means "messenger", so that this makes perfect sense as a title for our Lord as well who is the Logos (ὁ λόγος) or very Word of God, the essence of the Father's message (cf. Heb.1:1-4; Jn.1:1-5), sent into the world to accomplish all His will.

This brings us to back to Genesis 3:8. In my view (and not only in my view) it was our indeed Lord Jesus Christ who appeared to Adam and Eve in the garden (in Christophany, see the previous link), for He has always been the Father's representative on earth, appearing for Him and as Him. To take but one example, in Isaiah 6, God appears in every way as He does in His holy, heavenly temple (cf. Rev.4), but we know from John that it was Jesus whom Isaiah really saw. This is also explained by Jesus' words to the effect that anyone who has seen Him has in fact seen the Father - they are One in every purposeful way (Jn.10:30), and the Son is the true reflection of the Father (Heb.1:3). No one has (in this present body) seen the Father in all His true glory (cf. 1Tim.6:16), but Jesus came that the world might see Him in Him and believe in Him through Him. And in the Old Testament, He appeared "in many ways and at many times" (Heb.1:1), always through Jesus, but not evidently and clearly through Him until Christ's incarnation made it clear for us that such was ever the case (cf. Is.48:13-17 where "I am the Lord your God" who has been "sent" by "the Sovereign Lord" with "His Spirit"; cf. also Zech.1:7-17).

Please also see these links:

Hope this is of some help to you in your continuing work for the Lord.

Yours in Him who was and is and ever shall be our Savior, man and God in one unique Person, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’ll share it in the open then. If you don’t mind.

A little backstory. I didn’t know who my father is until I was in my forties. The man I was told was my father, was not my father. But instead a man my mother had an affair with, the result being me. I had no idea that my grandma whom I loved wrestled often with my being born out of wedlock.

My biological father whom I never met struggled with his own being a “bastard” to where after getting my mom pregnant during his own affair while he had a wife too…he wanted nothing to do with me.

When this came out in my late forties…it wasn’t until later that I started to wrestle with the conception of my husband and my first daughter. We have been married for thirty -five years…together since being teens. There was one other guy I was with. The more convicted I became wrestling with time periods the more I wrestled with “but how?” How is it and could it even be possible that I am exactly like my mother, in the same place as her. To me this is what you mean with coming to terms that we are no better. But How when I had no idea who I was, or who my father was, thinking I had the same father as my brother and sister…how was I in the same place now questioning the conception of our first daughter. I’m being truthful that never once had I considered this a possibility as we were a family, now with grandchildren.

The more I was bothered, I knew I had to tell my husband. He knew about the one guy. But we had never fully discussed the time periods. Immediately he looked up photos of the guy and his daughter on Facebook. To see if our first child looked anything like his.

My husband told our daughter she might not be his. But after this …none of us ever talked about it again. No test to confirm it. My husband and I are not together now but living separate. Not divorced but separated. We don’t talk about it but I know it is eating away at us.

I don’t push for a test to confirm. if it ends up that our daughter was conceived by another guy. I will lose everything. And I do mean everything. Not only will I fully be able to say I am my mother. My husband and mine relationship will implode….if it hasn’t already. My husbands family who have raised her as their first grandchild will view all of what we have lived differently. I think they will view me very differently. All the memories of that first grand baby. All the reason my husband and I fought to stay married. For our family. If we take a test and it turns out that way, I will be shamed and rightfully so. It will be embarrassing.

So your post truly makes me think of faith and trust in what he says on losing everything. But then I do also think of what my fear withholds in loss. Could there be healing? Am I selfishly to save my own face, withholding others opportunities towards forgiveness. My husband had no answers. Our daughter has no answers. And I have no answers. Instead at the moment…we bury it and deny it and ignore it …but it is there beating under the surface. I know it has and will to come out eventually. I’m afraid of the loss. I’m afraid of the loss of my marriage and loss of my life before and I’m afraid to have shame and remorse? But denying has had its own cost…because even though my husband hasn’t mentioned testing. He does mention the bite of resentment in words …always present in the possibility.

Even if we don’t test, I see the denial, ignoring, and burying of it is already ruining my marriage. It is only others don’t have the full truth yet about it.

Wrestled with whether or not to share this. But this is what I wrestle with in regards to losing all things, and even your own image…that you might gain His.
Now considering it…it would be a blessing to lose my own image (fully disclosed above), and gain His.
Two scriptures come to mind sister.

Jas 1:5-6

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering….

This sounds like a situation that requires God’s wisdom to be applied. He is alive and willing to supply the wisdom that is needed….I would suggest to fast and pray and ask Him, and then wait for Him in prayerful expectancy to answer.

Just my thoughts here but I wonder if you shouldn’t consider this to be your decision to make alone, but it is also your daughter’s decision since it very much concerns her as well, and she is a grow woman, and also your husband’s, since it affects and involves him too, so that you should all be making this decision together…?

1Jo 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse
us from all unrighteousness.

We are all born into the families that we have and it seems can ‘inherit’ to some extent whatever curses and sins happen to be in our family line, as concerns the flesh. I consider that to be our corner of the battlefield that we have been given to overcome in. Whatever it was that made you ‘vulnerable’ to committing adultery can be not only forgiven but cleansed from you as well, so encourage you to seek the Lord concerning that, especially since you seem to have nagging feelings or questions that there are still loose ends in this situation from a spiritual standpoint. I would ask the Lord, in faith, in prayerful expectation, to cleanse this and to speak to you...and keep seeking and asking until you hear from Him. And really meditate on those scriptures to let them sink in and take them to heart...they are TRUE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.