How are we to reckon ourselves as being dead to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say, walking in the Spirit, what do you mean? How do you know whether you are or not?

Much love!
your not fulfilling the lust of the flesh.. Gal 5: 16

If your doing for self. and not loving and serving others, then your not walking in the spirit..

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:14 KJV
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Maybe this word flesh means something other than what people have come to believe?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Maybe this word flesh means something other than what people have come to believe?
what were the ordinances that were against us and contrary to us? what was nailed to the cross?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what were the ordinances that were against us and contrary to us? what was nailed to the cross?
The "handwriting", cheirographon, was a term used for a promisory note, a note of indebtedness. Paul wrote to Philemon that if Onisemos owed anything, that Paul would pay it back,

Philemon 1:19 KJV
I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

To get credit, you'd write in your own handwriting your promise to pay. When you paid, the one you owed would write "finished" on it, and that would be your receipt. Archeologists learned this from the so many parchments found in the ancient landfill outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt.

The "cheirographon", that is, my personal handwritten certificate of indebtedness to the Law was blotted clean.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "handwriting", cheirographon, was a term used for a promisory note, a note of indebtedness. Paul wrote to Philemon that if Onisemos owed anything, that Paul would pay it back,

Philemon 1:19 KJV
I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

To get credit, you'd write in your own handwriting your promise to pay. When you paid, the one you owed would write "finished" on it, and that would be your receipt. Archeologists learned this from the so many parchments found in the ancient landfill outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt.

The "cheirographon", that is, my personal handwritten certificate of indebtedness to the Law was blotted clean.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Much love!
Yes, So what was the handwriting of ordinances that was nailed to the cross?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now in Romans 6:11 we read...

" Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."
It's like the "phantom limb" syndrome. Someone (God forbid!) loses their leg, but then they feel like it's still there. It hurts, it itches, it won't stop moving, it's hot, it's cold, but it's not there.

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's like the "phantom limb" syndrome. Someone (God forbid!) loses their leg, but then they feel like it's still there. It hurts, it itches, it won't stop moving, it's hot, it's cold, but it's not there.

Much love!
Clever, but that's not what an initial grace can do. One needs to take the sample to God ...and PAY for the full measure of grace that crucifies the flesh and enables the inner man to be translated into the resurrection power of Christ to walk IN Him.

Don't drink the Kool-aid. The flesh cannot put sin to death. Sure, we can reduce our sinfulness through a gradual weaning. But so often we exchange one kind of sin for another...even worse sins...and claim we are being sanctified.

God is not mocked and crossing over into Zion cannot be replaced by a fancy sounding theology. This is about power, and resurrection life.

Reactions: faithfulness

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clever, but that's not what an initial grace can do. One needs to take the sample to God ...and PAY for the full measure of grace that crucifies the flesh and enables the inner man to be translated into the resurrection power of Christ to walk IN Him.

Don't drink the Kool-aid. The flesh cannot put sin to death. Sure, we can reduce our sinfulness through a gradual weaning. But so often we exchange one kind of sin for another...even worse sins...and claim we are being sanctified.

God is not mocked and crossing over into Zion cannot be replaced by a fancy sounding theology. This is about power, and resurrection life.
you can't cross over to zion its future. its not until after the future judgement. read the book of revelations from a true prophet who speaks for God.

next

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The flesh cannot put sin to death. Sure, we can reduce our sinfulness through a gradual weaning. But so often we exchange one kind of sin for another...even worse sins...and claim we are being sanctified.
As if this is what I'm talking about?

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you can't cross over to zion its future. its not until after the future judgement. read the book of revelations from a true prophet who speaks for God.

next
Don't stop others from what you don't understand with your dead religion.

22 But you have come unto Mount Zion and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, who are written in Heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaksbetter things than that of Abel.

I ask others with more understanding....is this speaking of the dead?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clever, but that's not what an initial grace can do.
2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Do you believe what this passage teaches us?

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

22 But ye have come unto Mount Zion and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, who are written in Heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaksbetter things than that of Abel.

Why should we question such a plain statement? And when it's likewise attested to in other places,

Ephesians 2:4-6 KJV
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 3:1-4 KJV
1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Do you believe what this passage teaches us?

Much love!
That grace and peace must be multiplied to us BEFORE we can have access to the fulness of God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One needs to take the sample to God ...and PAY for the full measure of grace that crucifies the flesh and enables the inner man to be translated into the resurrection power of Christ to walk IN Him.
Romans 5:1-2 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

What is anyone waiting for? There is only unbelief standing in the way.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so his flesh was the handwritting of ordinances against us? I am confused.

22 But you have come unto Mount Zion and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

This is speaking of those whom God has separated from their mothers womb.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why should we question such a plain statement? And when it's likewise attested to in other places,

Ephesians 2:4-6 KJV
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 3:1-4 KJV
1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Much love!
Now you are claiming this too! I am accused of claiming the higher walk...but you slide by actually believing you are there...and somehow are unable to bear witness of it. Are you afraid of being disliked?

Status
Not open for further replies.