How Can God Love Them And Be Angry with Them?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dga

Dec 22, 2020
Ashford
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is interesting to notice, that the Bible very clearly says, that God loves people in this world, that is people who do not believe in him, and are not Christians, and yet, the Bible also says that, the people who do not have Jesus in their life, or in other words, do not believe in Jesus, God's wrath remains on them. Read John 3:16, 36.

At the first reading of those texts in the Bible, it seem like a contradiction, but it is not, and never can be! Think about this way. An earthly father, loves his children very much, regardless of what they do or not do. But, when those children do the wrong things, their fathers can be angry with them, and even punish them. The fact that their fathers punish them, does not mean that they do not love their children, but they want their children, to do the right things.

So it is similar with people in this world, who do not believe in Jesus, and do not serve the Lord. God loves them very much, but because they do the wrong thing by rejecting Jesus, the wrath of God remains on them. And yet, it does not mean at all, that God does not love them, because he does, and is longing for them to be saved.

Also, Apostle Paul also mentions in the New Testament, that God disciplines us, for our own good, so that we can share in his holiness. Now, a discipline is never pleasant but painful, and yet, when God is not pleased with us, because we have done something wrong, he still loves us, regardless of what we have done.

It is like God is saying to people in this world, who do not believe in him, and reject him that he is angry with them, for living in rebellion and sin before him, but he still loves them, and wants them to be saved, and to come to his family of believers, and be his dear children in Christ.

So, there is not a contradiction in the Bible about God loving the people in this world, and yet his wrath remains on them, when they reject Jesus Christ, and do not give their live to follow God, and do what he wants them to do.

MORE: God Has Not Forgotten Your Suffering
https://christianbibleexplorationuk.weebly.com/blog/god-has-not-forgotten-your-suffering

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Corporate guilt vs individual guilt.

And God is good.
God is always good. Anytime you make God bad you are in error. God is so busy being good He doesn't have any time left for being bad. (And God is timeless...that ought to twist your biscuit for a minute or two)

But what you have failed in understanding is the levels of Holiness. The three stages.

The Earth is Holy...but unforgiving which is why it is cursed.

Levite priests were to live lives of the 2nd degree of Holiness... culminating in complete 2nd degree during Temple service periods. They couldn't keep that up for long.
Priests had extra stringent laws concerning their lifestyle than the rest of Israel.

Then we have God...who is the Holiest of the Holier of the holy...said as "Holy, Holy, Holy" in scriptures.

Holy can seem to be static but it really is not. Pure, set aside for special use, and good (when speaking of dynamic systems or people) has a positive reaction to error if encountered. It tries to remove the error.

Now since God wrote these natural laws...the reaction to error is labeled as God's wrath. It's only natural conscequenses to actions...but in the scriptures it is said as "God's wrath" for this reason.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting to notice, that the Bible very clearly says, that God loves people in this world, that is people who do not believe in him, and are not Christians, and yet, the Bible also says that, the people who do not have Jesus in their life, or in other words, do not believe in Jesus, God's wrath remains on them. Read John 3:16, 36.

At the first reading of those texts in the Bible, it seem like a contradiction, but it is not, and never can be! Think about this way. An earthly father, loves his children very much, regardless of what they do or not do. But, when those children do the wrong things, their fathers can be angry with them, and even punish them. The fact that their fathers punish them, does not mean that they do not love their children, but they want their children, to do the right things.

So it is similar with people in this world, who do not believe in Jesus, and do not serve the Lord. God loves them very much, but because they do the wrong thing by rejecting Jesus, the wrath of God remains on them. And yet, it does not mean at all, that God does not love them, because he does, and is longing for them to be saved.

Also, Apostle Paul also mentions in the New Testament, that God disciplines us, for our own good, so that we can share in his holiness. Now, a discipline is never pleasant but painful, and yet, when God is not pleased with us, because we have done something wrong, he still loves us, regardless of what we have done.

It is like God is saying to people in this world, who do not believe in him, and reject him that he is angry with them, for living in rebellion and sin before him, but he still loves them, and wants them to be saved, and to come to his family of believers, and be his dear children in Christ.

So, there is not a contradiction in the Bible about God loving the people in this world, and yet his wrath remains on them, when they reject Jesus Christ, and do not give their live to follow God, and do what he wants them to do.

MORE: God Has Not Forgotten Your Suffering
https://christianbibleexplorationuk.weebly.com/blog/god-has-not-forgotten-your-suffering

I think that is a relatively easy thing to understand sir, no doubt you have many loved ones, and if you are anything like me, they usually make you the most angry. Why? Because it hurts so much more when you are let down by them.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about anybody else but I love my kids even when they do stuff to make me angry.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The above of course is FALSE! This notion of God loves everybody is alien to the Bible, and must be understood in light of Romans 9:13-14 which reads:

13 “As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.”

14 "What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid."

God the Father only loves those whom He gave to Jesus His Son. John 6:44; 37.

To God Be The Glory

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above of course is FALSE! This notion of God loves everybody is alien to the Bible, and must be understood in light of Romans 9:13-14 which reads:

13 “As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.”

14 "What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid."

God the Father only loves those whom He gave to Jesus His Son. John 6:44; 37.

To God Be The Glory

Have to disagree.
Hate is not the opposite of Love.

Hate means a strong dislike.

God is Love.
And Love is an Emotion.
And Hate is an Emotion.
Gods Love is constant...
and God can hate what He Loves.

God Loves His Creations.
Yet God has been disappointed in His Creations, thus the Hate.

And the Knowing right from wrong always results in a Blessing or Correction/ punishment or Whatever is appropriate.

Wrath is coming... a very strong awaking..
Wrath of the Lamb
Wrath of the Devil
Wrath of God

Pick and choose is coming to the Only option, before A Great change for all is manifested.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What about:
John 3:16 'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life'

And what about:
Romans 5:8 'But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.'

God is love @JunChosen In the light of those two passages did God love you before you were saved or not? So doesn't he love everybody the same? Or do you think he has favourites?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 5:8&version=NIV

Reactions: DNB

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about:
John 3:16 'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life'

And what about:
Romans 5:8 'But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.'

God is love @JunChosen In the light of those two passages did God love you before you were saved or not? So doesn't he love everybody the same? Or do you think he has favourites?

In the two Scripture verses you quoted above, ONLY THOSE whom God elected to salvation in eternity past before the foundation of the world, will believe and become saved, BECAUSE He willed it so! John 6:44; 37

The words "whosoever" and "us" respectively in John 3:16 and Romans 5:8 are the total of all believers.

John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the world yet it is the most misunderstood.

The word "so" in John 3:16 actually means "thus" or "in this manner."

Now we can render John 3:16 this way:

For God in this manner (so) loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that only all true believers (whosoever) believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

In what manner did God love the world? ...by giving His only Son to redeem the sins of all believers (Matthew 1:21).

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: atpollard

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To me and most other Christians 'the world' means all the people in it - everybody.

So are you one of those people who are part of the Watchtower organisation? They're very good at giving a different meaning to scriptures by changing the odd word.

Reactions: DNB

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How Can God Love Them And Be Angry with Them?
OP^

How can you not ever be angry?

We don't DECIDE to be angry.
Anger is an emotion.

We decide what we are going to DO with that emotion.

God Bless,
Taken

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me and most other Christians 'the world' means all the people in it - everybody.

To you the term "the world" means everybody in the world. If that is so how then would you reconcile this and understand it with Luke 2:1? You can't can you?

Therefore it means your knowledge and understanding of any or all Scripture is suspect.

So are you one of those people who are part of the Watchtower organisation? They're very good at giving a different meaning to scriptures by changing the odd word.

What do you know about the Watchtower when you hardly understand your own religion?

To God Be The Glory

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think God is into punishment much.
Spare the rod, spoil the child? No that's a different God to the one I talk to.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think God is into punishment much.
Spare the rod, spoil the child? No that's a different God to the one I talk to.
  • [Proverbs 13:24 NLT] 24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.
  • [Hebrews 12:5-11 NLT] 5 And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said, "My child, don't make light of the LORD's discipline, and don't give up when he corrects you. 6 For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child." 7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. 9 Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? 10 For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. 11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.

Would that be the God of Proverbs and Hebrews that you are not talking to?

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To you the term "the world" means everybody in the world. If that is so how then would you reconcile this and understand it with Luke 2:1? You can't can you?
Context.
When Caesar issues of command, it is to the “world” ruled by Caesar.
When God speaks of the “world”, it is the world ruled by God.
The whole world ruled by God is bigger than the whole world ruled by Caesar.

Reactions: Pearl and JunChosen

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
  • [Proverbs 13:24 NLT] 24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.
  • [Hebrews 12:5-11 NLT] 5 And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said, "My child, don't make light of the LORD's discipline, and don't give up when he corrects you. 6 For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child." 7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. 9 Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? 10 For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. 11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.
Would that be the God of Proverbs and Hebrews that you are not talking to?
You can quote the Bible until the cows come home, I don't believe in a vengeful God.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think that (he?) is.
The JW are more OT-centric and Works-based salvation advocates.
The views he presented were simply “anti-Pelegian” (he claims God chose men rather than men chose God) ... which the verses he presented support.

Reactions: JunChosen

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can quote the Bible until the cows come home, I don't believe in a vengeful God.
Neither did the people that worshipped the golden calf.
... it is your right to reject any and all scripture that you want. My responsibility is only to point them out to you.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Neither did the people that worshipped the golden calf.
... it is your right to reject any and all scripture that you want. My responsibility is only to point them out to you.
Your responsibility is to share the love of Christ. Where is it?

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about:
  • God loves “the world” (which in context could either mean “all mankind” or “people from every nation tribe and tongue; not just Jews”
  • God gave his Son to save “whoever believes” (which is NOT everyone without exception).

And what about:
  • “For us” is for the Saints that Paul is writing to ... the saved.
  • God loves the Saints; Christ died for the Saints.

God is love
  • A search of scripture will reveal that “love” is not the ONLY attribute of God.
  • God’s “love” is generally not even an emotion. It is a resolve to an action or settled position.

In the light of those two passages did God love you before you were saved or not?
  • God loved all whom He foreknew, predestined, called, justified and glorified. [Romans 8:29-30]

So doesn't he love everybody the same?
  • No. [see Malachi 1:3-4]

Or do you think he has favourites?

Favorites:
  • [Matthew 11:25-27 NASB95] 25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from [the] wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. 26 "Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. 27 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal [Him.]
  • [Matthew 16:15-17 NASB95] 15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal [this] to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
  • [John 15:12-17 NASB95] 12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. 13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. 14 "You are My friends if you do what I command you. 15 "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and [that] your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. 17 "This I command you, that you love one another.

Not favorites:
  • [Mat 23:13-36 NASB95] 13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 ["Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.] 15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves. 16 "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, [that] is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.' 17 "You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold? 18 "And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, [that] is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.' 19 "You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering? 20 "Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears [both] by the altar and by everything on it. 21 "And whoever swears by the temple, swears [both] by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. 22 "And whoever swears by heaven, swears [both] by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it. 23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24 "You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! 25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26 "You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. 27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28 "So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, 'If we had been [living] in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in [shedding] the blood of the prophets.' 31 "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 "Fill up, then, the measure [of the guilt] of your fathers. 33 "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? 34 "Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall [the guilt of] all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your responsibility is to share the love of Christ. Where is it?
To offer warning where someone is wandering away from the word of God is showing love.

• [James 5:19-20 NASB95] 19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
To say nothing and allow you to reject the words of God in blissful ignorance of them is not an act of love. God says “correction” is love. Read those verses I offered for you again. Refusing to discipline or correct a child is not an act of love. It is actually a form of abuse. You have failed as a parent if you do not train up your child and they will suffer in the world for want of that training.

God said that He disciplines us for our benefit.