Does God punish us for our sins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, not exactly, Hebrews 12:
5b “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”
7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
God disciplines us to train us in righteousness. The result is peace. However, not every time something bad happens to us is a result of God's discipline. This life is a testing place for everyone.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Does God punish us for our sins?​

Our sins punish us....yet we know it not; we instead often blame God.
This is how Sin bends us outta shape; it blames, it self justifies, it hides, it is violent, it is the opposite of Pauls description of Love (God) in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

For the record, here are those texts quoted;

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Consider the implications of the highlighted 'keeps no record of wrongs'
It will throw a spanner into much of mens theology

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

In Genesis 12:3 God clearly states that the people who will be blessed because of the Israelites, i.e., Abraham's descendants, will be judged righteous and as such gain live ever after; these are the ones who chose to inhabit His fertile soil sending their roots down into God's soil.

This confirms that God is using a very different judgement model to determine who among the peoples of the earth are righteous and will have life ever after. This judgement is not about the level of our sin. The criteria of God's judgement is all about where we draw our nourishment from.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In Genesis 12:3 God clearly states that the people who will be blessed because of the Israelites, Abraham's descendants, i.e., be judged righteous and as such gain live ever after, are the ones who chose to inhabit His fertile soil sending their roots down into God's soil.

This confirms that God is using a very different judgement model to determine who among the peoples of the earth are righteous and will have life ever after. This judgement is not about the level of our sin. The criteria of God's judgement is all about where we draw our nourishment from.
I'd go along with that!

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our sins have been delt with on the cross. ALL our sins. What we must do is buffet our bodies (the flesh) from temptations and walk by faith spiritually rather than materially. What does that mean? It means that everyday, instead of relying totally on how wer're going to accomodate the cares of this world, we need to put aside a certain percentage of our time (life) on Gods word. "Man shall not eat by bread alone, but by every word that comes from mouth of God". What does it all look like? Well, there are 365 days a year, 10 Percent is 36.5 days. Give God 36.5 days a year, minimum, that's about 3 days per month and it use wisely only for God, and don't let Satan destroy it. God asks for 10 percent. Do you think that's too much?

Get your calendar out and plan your walk for God, and then Walk toward your vision. Remember, the world is perishing!

Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our sins have been delt with on the cross. ALL our sins. What we must do is buffet our bodies (the flesh) from temptations and walk by faith spiritually rather than materially. What does that mean? It means that everyday, instead of relying totally on how wer're going to accomodate the cares of this world, we need to put aside a certain percentage of our time (life) on Gods word. "Man shall not eat by bread alone, but by every word that comes from mouth of God". What does it all look like? Well, there are 365 days a year, 10 Percent is 36.5 days. Give God 36.5 days a year, minimum, that's about 3 days per month and it use wisely only for God, and don't let Satan destroy it. God asks for 10 percent. Do you think that's too much?

Get your calendar out and plan your walk for God, and then Walk toward your vision. Remember, the world is perishing!
I'd say walk with God 24/7 365

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say walk with God 24/7 365
When are you going to walk with wife, children, family, friends, neighbors. Well now, walking with God is not that simple. Jesus answeres His good and faithful servents by saying; "...by doing these to the least of my brethern, you have done them unto me". Jesus is making it clear that we need to take time out of our busy lives and do things for others when the opportunity arises. They answered "when did we do these things for you"? They didn't even realize in their busy lives they were actually taking time off to help the needy. In your 24/7 365 walk, did you make time to help the needy, and if you did, did you do that 24/7 365, or do you think God would get angry if you took time off from your really busy 24/7 365 to take care of your family and the other cares of the world, like: Taxes, Banking, Bills, Maintenance, Helping around the house, chores, balancing the check book, or do you just ignore all that because you're walking so fast.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might ask King David. He murdered a man to get his wife. Then he lost his son, forever.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When are you going to walk with wife, children, family, friends, neighbors. Well now, walking with God is not that simple. Jesus answeres His good and faithful servents by saying; "...by doing these to the least of my brethern, you have done them unto me". Jesus is making it clear that we need to take time out of our busy lives and do things for others when the opportunity arises. They answered "when did we do these things for you"? They didn't even realize in their busy lives they were actually taking time off to help the needy. In your 24/7 365 walk, did you make time to help the needy, and if you did, did you do that 24/7 365, or do you think God would get angry if you took time off from your really busy 24/7 365 to take care of your family and the other cares of the world, like: Taxes, Banking, Bills, Maintenance, Helping around the house, chores, balancing the check book, or do you just ignore all that because you're walking so fast.
None of the things you've mentioned are separated from walking with God. Everything we do is done for the glory of God....and it is done in the most inconspicuous and ordinary way.....nothing religious about it anymore than Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.

Reactions: Jay Ross

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the things you've mentioned are separated from walking with God. Everything we do is done for the glory of God....and it is done in the most inconspicuous and ordinary way.....nothing religious about it anymore than Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.
Chopping parts of the Bible out will certainly separate someone from God. Like the Genesis Flood that Jesus clearly confirmed.

Revelation 22:19
If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life,

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A flower blooms in the desert for who? for what? It blooms because God created it to bloom. It is the artist expressing himself. We walk with God because we are his friends; he has redeemed us for his glory and our joy. Those who know this are in constant fellowship with him.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, not every time something bad happens to us is a result of God's discipline.
Sometimes God DOES punish us for our sins.

Though it's not necessarily God's punishment, some sins do have consequences. If you are sexually promiscuous, you run the risk of contracting Herpes, Gonorrhea, AIDS, or some other STD. If you get drunk, you increase the risk of developing cirrhosis of the liver, getting into a car wreck, or getting shot in a barroom fight.

And sometime s*** happens because this is a fallen world.

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a nice rule of thumb. Now that I am retired, I give God 90% of my time :)
We are the temples of the Holy Spirit and therefore He lives in us 100%. I pray in the spirit continually. However, I am the one that must multiply the talent that He left me. I am the one that must be concerned for the orphans and the widows and the needy and the poor, and I am the one that must manage the cares of this world as they affect my life and all the lives I care about. I am the one that must meditate and ponder and eat from God's word, I am the one that must pray in my prayer closet, I am the one that must walk in a manner worthy of God's glory. I am the one that must visit the sick and the prisoners. I am the one responsible for making "TIME" for these things because I am responsible for my actions and behavior while on this earth. God said give me 10% of your tithing and I'll multiply it. I'm sure that is His minimum. So naturally, because planned His work first "where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth". We see God planning His work here, and then we see God working that plan. God created a system on this earth where the scribes recorded everything regarding Gods word and then we see the fulfillment. Record keeping is repleat with God throughout the bible. We would all be wise to do the same. Plan your work; Reading the word daily at a specific time, Meditating, Praying, Fasting, Fellowshiping, and multiplying your gifts to the needy. It's really easy to just say OH....I give 90% or 100% or 1000%...but...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? and WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE IN A CALENDAR THAT RECORDS YOUR DAILY LIFE? HOW DOES GOD SEE IT?

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might ask King David. He murdered a man to get his wife. Then he lost his son, forever.
King David didn't have Jesus who is the out pouring of the Holy Spirit. "for the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Christ". Today we must walk in a manner that surpases that of King David, because WE have been made to be Kings and Priests before God, and are the temples of the Holy Spirit. We don't need passover today. Jesus surpassed that event on the cross.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King David didn't have Jesus who is the out pouring of the Holy Spirit. "for the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Christ". Today we must walk in a manner that surpases that of King David, because WE have been made to be Kings and Priests before God, and are the temples of the Holy Spirit. We don't need passover today. Jesus surpassed that event on the cross.
Romans 6:23
23 The wages of sin is death,

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:23
23 The wages of sin is death,
I am no longer under the curse of the law and don't work under the law. My work is of Faith and Faith doesn't pay a wage. But you go ahead and preach the law, I'll continue preaching Jesus and Him crucified!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am no longer under the curse of the law and don't work under the law. My work is of Faith and Faith doesn't pay a wage. But you go ahead and preach the law, I'll continue preaching Jesus and Him crucified!
I quoted the NT not the Law of Moses.

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does God punish us for our sins?​

Our sins punish us....yet we know it not; we instead often blame God.
This is how Sin bends us outta shape; it blames, it self justifies, it hides, it is violent, it is the opposite of Pauls description of Love (God) in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

For the record, here are those texts quoted;

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

There's also this. Romans chapter 7. I won't quote too much of it. But I'll highlight a particular part.

Romans 7:11
For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

Reactions: quietthinker