How can the body of Christ function properly without eyes and ears?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we read the writings of the Apostle Paul we find in a number of places an analogy of the church in the form of "the body of Christ" and Paul teaches us that the body can only function properly if each part does what it was created to do.
4. For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5. so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7. or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8. he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. Romans 12:4-8

In Corinth there were divisions among the church over the gifts of the Spirit and Paul addressed the issue in his first letter to the Corinthians using the same analogy:
27. Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30. Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31. But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way. 1 Corinthians 12:27-31

In chapter 13 of the same book, Paul goes on to describe the "more excellent way" which is the way of love, of patience and forbearance, trust and respect, belief and mutual submission, but let Paul say it:
4. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5. does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6. does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7. bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 1 Corinthians 4-12

These very verses are used to "prove" that the gift of prophecy has ceased, calling the bible that perfection which Paul was waiting to see. However, if the bible were that perfection written about by Paul, we would need no interpreter, no teacher to explain it's meaning: " For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." This verse and the notion of perfection having come are mutually exclusive.

So what's the point? In the Old Testament we find that the Kings and Priests, the leaders of the people, both of whom were anointed with the Spirit of Prophecy, still needed to be approached by prophets to correct them when they were in disobedience or error: e.g. Nathan was a prophet to King David, while it was David himself who wrote a large portion of scripture while in the Spirit of prophecy. So how does the church no longer need prophets, when Christ appointed them in His order as second after the Apostles?
What do prophets do? They have visions from God for His people, they "see" truth, they are His eyes in the body. They "hear" truth as ears in the body. They speak truth as the "mouth" of the body. A Pastor need not be a prophet, but if not, he should listen to them (as Aaron listened to and spoke for Moses). But prophets are the most despised of God's servants, the only ones that we know anything about from the Old testament were those who were from the priestly and kingly tribes (with the notable exception of Samuel, dedicated to God from before His birth.)
We have the mention of a few in the book of acts, but none besides Barnabus, Judas, and Silas are mentioned as being held in high esteem, and what are they more than messengers in the service of God?
So what has the "church" done to those whom God has honored with such service? Stopped up the ears? Closed the eyes? Gagged the mouth?
Oh, we'll fast and pray for revival. We'll shed tears over the evil we observe around us and pray for deliverance? But listen to those whom God has appointed to act as watchmen and given to cry out a warning, no, we deny their existence to our own destruction. We have no need of eyes, surely we see. We have no need of ears, surely we hear.
In the book of Numbers we're told that Miriam, the sister of Moses who was also a prophetess, spoke out together with Aaron against Moses and the Lord heard her:
1. Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married; for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 2. And they said, "Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has He not spoken through us also?'' And the Lord heard it. Numbers 12:1-2
What was the Lord's response?
8. I speak with him face to face, even plainly, and not in dark sayings; and he sees the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against My servant Moses?'' 9. So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed. 10. And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper. Numbers 12:8-10
The Lord takes His appointments seriously, so shouldn't we? How can the body of Christ function properly without all of its parts?
The prophets were not given authority over the congregation, but spoke by the authority of God. They never chose this office for themselves, but were called from their places, sometimes from sheepfolds, sometimes from priestly duty, from places of quiet and peaceful service, then were equipped and prepared by God and dropped into the middle of spiritual conflict which often took their lives. Who in their right mind would ever want to be a prophet? But why question the wisdom of God in making a place for even those who are least esteemed among men.
This may seem a bit self serving as it involves my own calling, but I'm not the only prophet that posts messages here, though some would never identify themselves as such. They're easy to identify as they tend to "sound" a little bit bitter when they write about what they see in the church or in the land that they live in. Where does that bitterness come from except to be appointed and gifted by God for a purpose in His church and rejected by the church because of their calling? Some cry from choir lofts, while others roam about looking for an ear to hear, and what are they fed by those whom they serve except mocking, vitriol, and false accusation?

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Rebuke is unpopular and it doesnt get bums on seats. Church elders would rather their ears tickled then pulled.
There is no dynamic fellowship anymore, because most dont even understand why they are sitting in a Church in the first place.
Its easier to be deaf and blind as its the sugar that helps the medicine go down.
How often do you hear meat and potato preaching littlelone the cry of warring prophets?
Its no wonder there is a lack of belief in what Christ really taught concerning the close call we take for granted, as it stands most have one foot on the wide road and the other just hovering above the narrow.
Christ is life and life is scary.
The Churches of today almost always take a Universalist approach to Salvation and the rest is swept under the alter.
Nobody wants to hear the mad ramblings of prophets, because nobody cares!!
You will always be a prophet without honour wherever you go,

But should that stop you?
Let them block their ears and despise you, is not your calling greater?
Can not the Almighty himself hear you?
Speak freely just as the Prophets before you spoke
With courage and strength.

1 Corinthians 1:27
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

All glory to God!!!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Madad21 said:
Rebuke is unpopular and it doesnt get bums on seats. Church elders would rather their ears tickled then pulled.
There is no dynamic fellowship anymore, because most dont even understand why they are sitting in a Church in the first place.
Its easier to be deaf and blind as its the sugar that helps the medicine go down.
How often do you hear meat and potato preaching littlelone the cry of warring prophets?
Its no wonder there is a lack of belief in what Christ really taught concerning the close call we take for granted, as it stands most have one foot on the wide road and the other just hovering above the narrow.
The Churches of today almost always take a Universalist approach to Salvation and the rest is swept under the alter.

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

All glory to God!!!
I like the donkey thing as an avatar (if I can use that word here), and yes I would agree with you. Fact of the matter is that I've been asked not to return to one church congregation's worship services (at the place where I was baptized) unless I write a letter to the elders about a strong letter that I'd previously written to them. Trouble is I have no recollection of the letter the Pastor was talking about, it's content, or how to address it, he wouldn't tell me what it said, and I have no record of sending it electronically. Getting ejected from congregations as "divisive" will eventually have a person praying alone in a cave. My point was that the body can't function as it was meant to without all of its parts.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Michael V Pardo said:
I like the donkey thing as an avatar (if I can use that word here), and yes I would agree with you. Fact of the matter is that I've been asked not to return to one church congregation's worship services (at the place where I was baptized) unless I write a letter to the elders about a strong letter that I'd previously written to them. Trouble is I have no recollection of the letter the Pastor was talking about, it's content, or how to address it, he wouldn't tell me what it said, and I have no record of sending it electronically. Getting ejected from congregations as "divisive" will eventually have a person praying alone in a cave. My point was that the body can't function as it was meant to without all of its parts.
Thats ok I know where you were going with what you where saying and I didnt mean to go off topic I suppose it just gave me a quick out let for my own frustration.

How can they stop you from turning up to the services?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there is the other side of that coin, who says you are a prophet? Yourself? Some one else? When anyone who repeats the Word of God believing, prophesies. Even the OT prophet merely repeated to others what the Lord his God told him to tell them.
Surly one’s witness is worth nothing without the Lord God making it known to those around him that the Lord’s Presence is with him. Has anyone even said to you that they can tell that the Lord speaks to you? Can you even tell if someone else has a relationship with the Lord?

Also though your complaint is common, it’s not your choice to decide who shall love the Lord our God in the name of Jesus Christ or not. Consider who is called, and who calls themselves Christian. Guys like Jeremiah suffered the same problem, but the Lord never let him leave them did He? So if you put yourself in the class of people like Elijah, Samuel, Isaiah, to mention a few, then you best consider ones happy place is only in the Lord of which He will keep you in, just as He did them. It s up to the Lord to sustain His, if one is truly a prophet, then the same will be proved out to be one.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
The question should be .... are there prophets today ??

If so .... they should be able to step forward and have convincing evidence for us.

I never see that happen

Are there people who think they are prophets today ??

Yes .... thousands of them. Probably millions.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie Manitoba said:

If so .... they should be able to step forward and have convincing evidence for us.

I never see that happen

As Apostle Paul teaches in Ephesians Chapter 4 such is given by the Lord for the edification of the church, but towards what?

Shouldn’t it be:
12: For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

If there be a problem, it seems it is do to the desire of the church, in that they seek fulfillment in themselves and in their own lives according to their own dreams and will, rather then the fulfillment in the Life of Christ, that is given us. Jesus isn’t going to give prophets for that, is He? Mankind can do that on their own.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Madad21 said:
Thats ok I know where you were going with what you where saying and I didnt mean to go off topic I suppose it just gave me a quick out let for my own frustration.

How can they stop you from turning up to the services?
They can't stop me from turning up, but they could ask me to leave. Personally, I don't care to be where I'm unwanted. I was told that I caused a "big ruckus" with my letter, so I have to assume that it hit home, but it was never my intention to tear down anything sound and if I knew what the Pastor was talking about, I'd attempt to "explain myself." The only problem is that the elders of that congregation are selective in what scripture they believe and have run with the accepted limitations developed by theologians to explain away what they no longer hold to be true. It's relatively easy to rationalize disobedience to the word of God when you compartmentalize the application of scripture to ages, times, cultures, etc. Hardness of heart isn't easy to see; that's one of the reasons Christ gave the church prophets. I still love those people who've decided to exclude me from their company (regardless of what their reason is) and I see no reason to place them in a position to cause greater offense (I've already done my job there whether they received what I had to say or not.) They're in the Master's hands for better or for worse. Amen.
DPMartin said:
But there is the other side of that coin, who says you are a prophet? Yourself? Some one else? When anyone who repeats the Word of God believing, prophesies. Even the OT prophet merely repeated to others what the Lord his God told him to tell them.
Surly one’s witness is worth nothing without the Lord God making it known to those around him that the Lord’s Presence is with him. Has anyone even said to you that they can tell that the Lord speaks to you? Can you even tell if someone else has a relationship with the Lord?

Also though your complaint is common, it’s not your choice to decide who shall love the Lord our God in the name of Jesus Christ or not. Consider who is called, and who calls themselves Christian. Guys like Jeremiah suffered the same problem, but the Lord never let him leave them did He? So if you put yourself in the class of people like Elijah, Samuel, Isaiah, to mention a few, then you best consider ones happy place is only in the Lord of which He will keep you in, just as He did them. It s up to the Lord to sustain His, if one is truly a prophet, then the same will be proved out to be one.
The Lord makes all things evident in the long run.
In one congregation where my wife and I had been members, I gave warning to the Pastor and elders about trouble coming in the form of two persons that attended services regularly (one of which seems to have hitched herself to my caravan so to speak by developing a close friendship with my wife). They didn't take sufficient action and the matter became an embarrassment for two congregations, two Pastors, as well as to those two persons involved (although one of the two was wreckage while the other leaves a wake of destruction in her path.) In another congregation where we pitched our tent, I tried to warn the Pastor that he was "wandering off of the reservation," his preaching moving away from grace and toward legalism. I took my wife away from that gathering for her sake (she was becoming confused and doubtful about her relationship with the Lord) and not long afterward that Pastor found himself without a job or a flock to look after. All he had to do was consider what I was saying and pray for guidance, but instead he stiffened his neck and set himself against the Lord. Then there was the last congregation that we attended before the one which we currently worship with. The Pastor had it in his mind that he could teach anything that he wanted to, and in any manner that he wanted, and meanwhile the congregation dwindled and the accounts did also, now that congregation (what's left of it) is loosing their building. When things were getting hard, the man trotted out the book of Malachi to try to get the few people there to dig deeper into their pockets to keep the congregation afloat. I asked him what his message had to do with displaying the grace of God in the person of Jesus Christ and he had no answer for me. Any warnings I gave the man fell on deaf ears and what did it cost him?
The Lord puts people like me into congregations to help them find their way when the leadership is short sighted. Those situations which went bad in spite of warnings, went bad because either the Pastor or elders were convinced that they were on track and had no need of counsel from a different perspective. Those troubles could've been avoided and the situations salvaged, but arrogance won the day, and men, even with a sincere desire to serve the Lord, paid a stiff penalty for their disobedience to the Word of God. I know this to be true as I've seen what resulted from heeding godly counsel as well (one of those congregations, after a split in leadership, ended up growing wonderfully because the Pastor humbled himself to hear and take some sound counsel to heart.)

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Madad21 said:

All glory to God!!!
That's it! Glory!!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie Manitoba said:

I never see that happen

An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but there is wisdom in heeding sound counsel. I didn't identify the gift in myself, but some brothers in the Lord told me years ago about my calling and the grief it would bring to me. I've always identified with Jonah more than the other prophets, because I don't particularly like the job; its not really the way to win friends and influence people. As far as signs go though, the Lord has always provided signs on my behalf when they were necessary to silence opposition, so whose opinion should I trust, yours? I think that I'll stick with scripture and with the One who called me through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, blessed forever. Amen.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Michael V Pardo said:
An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but there is wisdom in heeding sound counsel. I didn't identify the gift in myself, but some brothers in the Lord told me years ago about my calling and the grief it would bring to me. I've always identified with Jonah more than the other prophets, because I don't particularly like the job; its not really the way to win friends and influence people. As far as signs go though, the Lord has always provided signs on my behalf when they were necessary to silence opposition, so whose opinion should I trust, yours? I think that I'll stick with scripture and with the One who called me through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, blessed forever. Amen.
Those words spoke volumes to me...Thats exactly how it goes I promise ya. God bless.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:

I never see that happen

If they are invalid today, then what about apostles, evangelists, pastors, and teachers? Seems we have an abundance of at least two of those categories. And what about evangelists? Did you know that Timothy was one? Did you know that the word "doctrine" is found more times in 1 and 2 Timothy than all the rest of the bible put together? His calling was to learn and teach doctrine...to the church. So how do we go from there to calling soul winners evangelists? Are evangelists not called to equip the saints for ministry? The ministry of all christians is to witness to the lost. We are all potential soul winners, not just someone with a self imposed or church imposed title.

The truth is that the ability to understand doctrinal truth and teach it, is a gifting and a calling from God...called an evangelist. Though it can be a learned skill, the anointing of God would bring it to a higher level. But it seems as though anyone who wants to, takes a stab at it. Just look around. People do that with prophecy too. But this does not mean that there are not real ones in our body. But it seems as though all five callings have become a free for all of sorts.

Reactions: UppsalaDragby

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael V Pardo said:
The Lord makes all things evident in the long run.
In one congregation where my wife and I had been members, I gave warning to the Pastor and elders about trouble coming in the form of two persons that attended services regularly (one of which seems to have hitched herself to my caravan so to speak by developing a close friendship with my wife). They didn't take sufficient action and the matter became an embarrassment for two congregations, two Pastors, as well as to those two persons involved (although one of the two was wreckage while the other leaves a wake of destruction in her path.) In another congregation where we pitched our tent, I tried to warn the Pastor that he was "wandering off of the reservation," his preaching moving away from grace and toward legalism. I took my wife away from that gathering for her sake (she was becoming confused and doubtful about her relationship with the Lord) and not long afterward that Pastor found himself without a job or a flock to look after. All he had to do was consider what I was saying and pray for guidance, but instead he stiffened his neck and set himself against the Lord. Then there was the last congregation that we attended before the one which we currently worship with. The Pastor had it in his mind that he could teach anything that he wanted to, and in any manner that he wanted, and meanwhile the congregation dwindled and the accounts did also, now that congregation (what's left of it) is loosing their building. When things were getting hard, the man trotted out the book of Malachi to try to get the few people there to dig deeper into their pockets to keep the congregation afloat. I asked him what his message had to do with displaying the grace of God in the person of Jesus Christ and he had no answer for me. Any warnings I gave the man fell on deaf ears and what did it cost him?
The Lord puts people like me into congregations to help them find their way when the leadership is short sighted. Those situations which went bad in spite of warnings, went bad because either the Pastor or elders were convinced that they were on track and had no need of counsel from a different perspective. Those troubles could've been avoided and the situations salvaged, but arrogance won the day, and men, even with a sincere desire to serve the Lord, paid a stiff penalty for their disobedience to the Word of God. I know this to be true as I've seen what resulted from heeding godly counsel as well (one of those congregations, after a split in leadership, ended up growing wonderfully because the Pastor humbled himself to hear and take some sound counsel to heart.)

Just because you might be able to discern whether some one is on message or not doesn’t make you a prophet in the biblical sense people can recognize whether a speech or preaching or teaching is on point or not, whether it be the Gospel or not. Or if an attitude of arrogance will cause more harm then good, that’s a organizational experience whether it be a church or some heartless corporation, it doesn’t take a Prophet of God to see a thing like that coming down the road. Maybe just some honest observation. And this statement (no offence) doesn’t make sense " even with a sincere desire to serve the Lord, paid a stiff penalty for their disobedience to the Word of God." How can you have a sincere desire to serve the Lord and disobey the Word of God who is the Lord?

Maybe as one who sees things as they are, you should realize that the Lord lets you see it for what it is for your sake. It’s very simple, the Lord God is going to talk to those who listen, not to those who don’t listen. There is a reason why you are telling them some thing they should have known in the first place, they don’t listen for the Truth, nor do they listen to the Truth. If they did you probably wouldn’t have felt compelled to tell them what they should have known.

They seek the fulfillment of what is in their own hearts, just as the Lord God will have the fulfillment of what is in His Heart, hence why the Lord God loved David. For David sot the Heart of God, as in to replace his own. Therefore guaranteed to seek the same as the Lord his God. Desiring and wanting for the same fulfillment. Hence his famous statement "the Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want"

Anyways the NT view of "Prophecy" is more to likeness of edification of the Saints, (I think it’s Peter that says as much, don’t hold me to that) but that’s not to exclude the possibility of hard core OT revelation from the Lord our God.

It seem at times like you speak of, one can feel like or at least empathize with some one like Jeremiah. Which is going to be more and more like the experiences of true believers in the time to come whether they truly be prophets or not.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
Just because you might be able to discern whether some one is on message or not doesn’t make you a prophet in the biblical sense people can recognize whether a speech or preaching or teaching is on point or not, whether it be the Gospel or not. Or if an attitude of arrogance will cause more harm then good, that’s a organizational experience whether it be a church or some heartless corporation, it doesn’t take a Prophet of God to see a thing like that coming down the road. Maybe just some honest observation. And this statement (no offence) doesn’t make sense " even with a sincere desire to serve the Lord, paid a stiff penalty for their disobedience to the Word of God." How can you have a sincere desire to serve the Lord and disobey the Word of God who is the Lord?

Maybe as one who sees things as they are, you should realize that the Lord lets you see it for what it is for your sake. It’s very simple, the Lord God is going to talk to those who listen, not to those who don’t listen. There is a reason why you are telling them some thing they should have known in the first place, they don’t listen for the Truth, nor do they listen to the Truth. If they did you probably wouldn’t have felt compelled to tell them what they should have known.

They seek the fulfillment of what is in their own hearts, just as the Lord God will have the fulfillment of what is in His Heart, hence why the Lord God loved David. For David sot the Heart of God, as in to replace his own. Therefore guaranteed to seek the same as the Lord his God. Desiring and wanting for the same fulfillment. Hence his famous statement "the Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want"

Anyways the NT view of "Prophecy" is more to likeness of edification of the Saints, (I think it’s Peter that says as much, don’t hold me to that) but that’s not to exclude the possibility of hard core OT revelation from the Lord our God.

It seem at times like you speak of, one can feel like or at least empathize with some one like Jeremiah. Which is going to be more and more like the experiences of true believers in the time to come whether they truly be prophets or not.
Theologians and biblical scholars of note, men like John MacArthur and R.C. Sproul as modern examples, typically contend that the role of the prophet under the covenant of Law was primarily delivering to us the word of God, the Holy Scriptures, and they arrive at this conclusion from the books that we have in the Old testament written by the Major and Minor prophets. However these books only represent a very small portion of the prophets and their works and role In the congregation of Israel. There are probably far more of the Lord's prophets that have no recorded prophecy in scripture than those that do. You find the mention of many names among the prophets in the historical books as well as reference to the prophets of the Lord who remain entirely without name in the verses of Old testament scripture all of whom have no detail of their service recorded for our time. For this reason the role of the prophet is fundamentally misunderstood: their primary purpose is to advise the rulers of the nation when they're leading the people in the wrong direction.
King David has the distinction of being called by God "a man after his own heart," but David had prophets in his service, one of which we know by the name of Nathan, who counseled and corrected him. We also know that David wrote a large portion of scripture by the Spirit of prophesy. The problem remains with all men in this world, whether born again of God's Spirit or not, that we remain men who are less than perfect, undergo temptation, and are drawn away from God's perfect plan by the sinful desires of our flesh. Don't think that these are limited to sexual sin. Pride, ambition, lust for power, envy, jealousy, and all sorts of evil can have an ill affect on men who have the sincere desire to serve their Lord. If you don't see this, then you yourself are in great danger.
When Nathan approached King David about his sin against Uriah the Hittite and with Bath Sheba, he was risking his head. But declaring difficult truth about personal or corporate sin has always been the first mission of the prophet. While the recorded works of the Major and Minor prophets give us some new revelation of the person of God, these prophets were primarily bringing to bear the testimony of the Law against the evil deeds of the nation or of the leadership of the nation and calling them to repentance. That's the real role of the prophet and this is obvious when you examine their works in the scripture. Theologians in the church have focused on the aspect of divine revelation, because divine revelation is the nature of their study and interest, but in stressing this as the role of the prophet they have introduced error and misunderstanding to the church (sometimes with the sincere desire to prevent heretical teaching and sometimes with the evil intent of silencing opposition to the unlawful use of the law.)
Much of the problem with the modern church in the western Hemisphere with regard to false teachings and strange doctrines is because of the absence of the prophetic office in the church and the despising of prophesy as not having a legitimate place when scripture clearly says that it does. The principle test of the prophet is not in whether his predictions happen or not (the Old testament scripture expressly states that the prophesy of a false prophet may come to pass), but rather, the test is whether or not the Prophet speaks according to the word of the Lord (or that body of proven and accepted writing recognized as scripture). If the NT prophet, Jude, were put to that test he would fall short as some of his references are not from the biblical canon, yet we accept his book as valid just the same because his doctrine aligns with that of the rest of the body of scripture and with the testimony of Jesus Christ. This isn't complicated, but theologians have insisted on making it so because of their understanding of special revelation. They have their purpose, but they should also keep their place instead of overreaching their authority. The Lord will make all these things evident soon enough as well.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Old Testament Prophets

The common view of Old Testament prophets is that they were old men with beards, who went around speaking doom and gloom, but his is a misleading caricature.

The main role of the prophets was to speak for God. In Old Testament times, the Holy Spirit had not been poured out on God's people, so only a few people operated under the anointing of the Spirit. Most people could not hear the Spirit speaking, so they needed someone to tell them what God was saying. The prophets spoke about all aspects of life. Moses was a prophet, because he gave Israel the law (Deut 34:10). Samuel told Saul where to find his donkeys (1 Sam 9:8). Nathan challenged David, when he covered up his sin (1 Sam 12:1).

A key aspect of the prophetic role was to watch over the covenant. Whenever, Israel broke the covenant, the prophets would challenge them and warn of the consequence. Israel broke the covenant over and over again, which is why the prophets seemed to be full of doom and gloom. Israel was mostly in disobedience, so the prophets spent most of their time warning of the consequence of this disobedience. They could not be nice, because the prognosis for Israel was usually nasty.

A minor role of the more mature prophets was to speak to the nations around Israel. God raises them up and brings them down to accomplish his purposes. Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel prophesied to nations like Egypt and Babylon. They did not speak to these nations in terms of the covenant, because they were not under it. However, because these nations were created by God, they are accountable to him. The prophets warned that if they slipped too far into evil, God would have to bring them down. However, speaking to the other nations was a minor part of the prophet's role.

Christians often assume that words of the OT prophets were perfect and had to be obeyed without question. This is not true. The scriptures contain the prophet's best words. They were preserved, because the community assessed these words to be true and reliable. Those that were a mixture or wrong were quickly forgotten, so we do not have access to them. The Old Testament prophets could make mistakes. Samuel was wrong in some of the things he did. Elisha got things wrong too. One prophet deliberately lied (1 Kings 13:18). Obedience to prophecy was not mandatory. Every word had to be tested, although this was hard, for those without the anointing of the Spirit. They often had no choice but to wait and see if the word was fulfilled.

New Covenant

The cross and resurrection of Jesus did not cause the role of the prophet to cease. Agabus, Judas and Silas are referred to as a prophets, so the ministry continued (Acts 11:28; Acts 15:31). There is nothing in the New Testament to say that any aspect of the role has ceased.

Several things have changed. In Old Testament times, Israel was the people of the covenant. In New Testament times, the church is the people of the new covenant. The prophetic role of watching over the covenant continues, but their focus shifted to the new covenant and the church. The prophets are still responsible for watching over the church and warning if it breaks the covenant of Jesus. This is not a doom and gloom ministry, because in contrast to OT Israel, the victory of the cross and the spirit means that the church mostly walks in blessing. However, there will be times when a church leaves God's path and needs to be challenged by a prophet. John's letters to the seven churches are examples of a prophetic challenge to a church that has lost the plot. Giving warnings to the church is still the responsibility of the prophets, but it should not be required too often, if it is walking in the Spirit and seeking to serve Jesus.

One of the greatest threats to the New Testament church is persecution. The role of the New Testament prophets includes responsibility for encouraging the church through times of persecution and suffering. John's letters to the seven churches are an example of this (Rev 3:21).

The role of prophesying to the people of the old covenant has been curtailed by the cross. Jesus himself gave the final prophesy to Israel warning of the destruction of Jerusalem (Matt 23:33-24:2). He warned that Israel would not get a prophetic word again for a long, long time.

Look, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord (Matt 23:38-39).

Being left without prophets is part of their desolation. All future prophets will be Christians, so if the Jews will not accept those who come in the name of Jesus, they will have no prophets (Micah 3:6). New Testament prophets will only get to speak freely to Israel when the Times of the Gentiles are coming to an end.

The role of prophesying to the other nations continues in New Testament times. God continues to determine the rising and falling of the nations.

He made all the nations; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands (Acts 17:26).

When nations go sour, God often lets them collapse and die. Rome is an example. It eventually collapsed and disappeared. God's role in this is clearer, if there are prophets explain to the collapsing nation why things are falling apart. This role has been lacking for much of the New Testament age, so it needs to be restored.

Prophetic proclamation is the best way to remove a bad government. The Old Testament prophets brought downs kings and rulers who had lost the plot. For example, Elijah's prophetic work led to the destruction of Ahab. Daniel prophesied the fall of Belshazzar of Babylon. John continued this role in the New Testament with his prophecy of the fall of Babylon the Great. We need to see more of the ministry from prophets in the New Testament age. If a Christian prophet had pronounced judgement against Saddam Hussein, releasing the power of God to remove him from office, his fall would have been far less painful for the Iraqi people than a ten year war.

Speaking to the nations is only a minor aspect of the prophetic role, so only a few of the more mature prophets will be called to the role of prophet to the nations. Most New Testament prophets will function within the church. Some will grow to be a prophet to their own nation, and a few of these will emerge as prophets to the nations.
Kingwatch.co.nz

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr.Bride said:
Speaking to the nations is only a minor aspect of the prophetic role, so only a few of the more mature prophets will be called to the role of prophet to the nations. Most New Testament prophets will function within the church. Some will grow to be a prophet to their own nation, and a few of these will emerge as prophets to the nations.
Kingwatch.co.nz
In a sense, the church itself is a nation, or at least we understand it as part of a kingdom whose King and Sovereign is God Himself in the person of His Son. Again, those things which we know about the prophets are still those things which were preserved in the body of scripture, yet these remain only a fraction of the works of the prophets.
I could only hope that the office of the prophet would again be valued in the church that it might grow to the fullness of the stature of the mature man in Christ Jesus. When a church has spiritual elders, they often serve in this office, but some churches don't even have a plurality of elders serving to keep the congregation on track, much less spiritual men of understanding. But again, this sort of situation benefits ambitious men, allowing them to maintain their authority in the pulpit, attending to their own agenda rather than the Lord's. One good thing about the times though, as money becomes more scarce, the thieves will run to greener pastures; there's not much gain in fleecing a flock that is destitute.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael V Pardo said:
The Church is built on the foundation of the Apostles and prophets with Christ as the cornerstone. Are you saying the foundation still needs to be laid? If you are a prophet, what specific message is the Lord giving through you that is not revealed in the NT? Hebrews 1 says that in the past, God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets, "but in these last days he has spoken to us through his Son." Clearly, the message of Christ is the ultimate revelation from God attested to by the Apostles and 1st century prophets. In my estimation, the foundation has been laid and the Son has spoken. I don't think there is something he forgot to say that still needs to be revealed.

Moreover, the Biblical notion of a prophet is someone who speaks a new revealed word from God to God's people. So what is this word? The prophet is not merely a title that you receive because someone else says you are one. It has to do with hearing a direct word from God to deliver to God's people. Unless you have been given a word from God as was given to Moses, Samuel, Elijah, Isaiah, Daniel, John the Baptist, etc (which always seems to be given in audible form)... then you are not a prophet. The NT prophets were given special revelation into the work of Christ and worked alongside the Apostles in proclaiming the person and work of Christ (as there was no NT at that point). So unless God has spoken to you audibly with a specific new revelation to give...you are not a prophet.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
The Church is built on the foundation of the Apostles and prophets with Christ as the cornerstone. Are you saying the foundation still needs to be laid? If you are a prophet, what specific message is the Lord giving through you that is not revealed in the NT? Hebrews 1 says that in the past, God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets, "but in these last days he has spoken to us through his Son." Clearly, the message of Christ is the ultimate revelation from God attested to by the Apostles and 1st century prophets. In my estimation, the foundation has been laid and the Son has spoken. I don't think there is something he forgot to say that still needs to be revealed.

Moreover, the Biblical notion of a prophet is someone who speaks a new revealed word from God to God's people. So what is this word? The prophet is not merely a title that you receive because someone else says you are one. It has to do with hearing a direct word from God to deliver to God's people. Unless you have been given a word from God as was given to Moses, Samuel, Elijah, Isaiah, Daniel, John the Baptist, etc (which always seems to be given in audible form)... then you are not a prophet. The NT prophets were given special revelation into the work of Christ and worked alongside the Apostles in proclaiming the person and work of Christ (as there was no NT at that point). So unless God has spoken to you audibly with a specific new revelation to give...you are not a prophet.
Thank you for defining what a prophet is and is not. I'm sure that the Lord will be happy to hear it and stands corrected.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael,

There is no need for sarcasm. If you think the Bible provides a different definition of the office of a prophet, please share your thoughts and Scriptural support. I would be happy to be corrected if the Word of God indicates I am in error. However, I have no other resource for determining the purpose and function of a Biblical prophet than the Word of God.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
Michael,

There is no need for sarcasm. If you think the Bible provides a different definition of the office of a prophet, please share your thoughts and Scriptural support. I would be happy to be corrected if the Word of God indicates I am in error. However, I have no other resource for determining the purpose and function of a Biblical prophet than the Word of God.
Exactly! Did you formulate your theory yourself from studying the scripture or did you pick that up in a seminary or through the teaching of some seminary student? Like theologians, I place great value upon the word of God; but the scripture is not the source of our being, nor the author of our faith, and it's purpose is to bring us to Him so that we may know Him and salvation through Him. Theologians have defined "the prophet" by what he says, but any man is defined by what he does.
Those who preserved the scripture did so for the scripture's sake, if they had done so for the One who authored it, they wouldn't have nailed Him to a cross. The word of God is power, even to those who abuse it.

"We also have the prophetic word made more sure, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 19-21