How can you be a Child, Son, or Daughter of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know you can become a son or daughter of God?

How you may ask? By believing in Jesus: John 1:12 (and following and seeking what he had taught about, and learning in growing to know him), the more one grows and seeks the Bible narrative the more your faith will increase as you lean on and trust by faith the promises made forth by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Scripture does say (Romans 8:14) For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. (If we walk by the spirit you see, abiding in Christ, having agape love for all, mercy, forgiveness, love, peace, all heavenly and spirit lead).

What is some information from the Bible one can add to increase and become rooted down in this knowledge of truth of becoming a son or daughter of God?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How you may ask? By believing in Jesus: John 1:12 (and following and seeking what he had taught about, and learning in growing to know him), the more one grows and seeks the Bible narrative the more your faith will increase as you lean on and trust by faith the promises made forth by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Scripture does say (Romans 8:14) For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. (If we walk by the spirit you see, abiding in Christ, having agape love for all, mercy, forgiveness, love, peace, all heavenly and spirit lead).

What is some information from the Bible one can add to increase and become rooted down in this knowledge of truth of becoming a son or daughter of God?
To be a child of God would require obeying him, I believe.

Reactions: Robert Gwin

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree with Bob, obedience is the key

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're ALL children of God .... most are just estranged. But He'll deal with us all in His due time.

Hello to you my friend in Christ, Berean,

I don’t find that really to be a biblical stance.

The scriptures provided in the original post would be my biblically supported stance of how one becomes a child of God. Children of God are adopted by faith in Christ Jesus, (not to exclude anyone who never heard the name: The Bible states the firmament, and all creation is enough to suggest the existence of God).

To be adopted is to be born again, then grow like a tree deeply rooted in Christ, abiding in Him, and allowing love from God to be produced within your Heart towards God and others, and share when lead by the spirit to share Jesus with others.

Until being born again, I believe personally the Bible instead suggest all of us are a creations of God - then born again believer - a child of the Father and a heir to Christ, and a citizen of the heavenly kingdom.

Do you see anything wrong with this yourself?

Thank you for commenting, do you wanna expand on your own statement with me?

(I have had a direct conversation with someone before who’s view is that all people are Gods children, but the Bible doesn’t say that: However she said “I believe if God created them, they are his children”, and after having explained my understanding of the original post.

She still sees all people as Gods children I guess, it’s just perception and how you view, and if you would like to use the Bible to support your stance in which would set forth a biblical supported stance rather than opinion which others are allowed to have.)

Praise God for our free willed ability to think and ponder and question within our selves and also question God and seek him out.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're ALL children of God .... most are just estranged. But He'll deal with us all in His due time.
@MatthewG, were I to support such a statement, I would use Paul's sermon to the Athenians on Mars Hill:

"For in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man." (Acts 17:28-29)

Since his target audience is unbelievers, "we" refers to believers and unbelievers alike.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you Berean,

Those questions can be answered from the Bible, however that is not the topic at hand.
You are more than welcome to ask those questions in another thread if you would like to.

How can you be a child of God?

“but as many as did receive him to them he gave authority to become sons of God — to those believing in his name,”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:12‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

and if the Spirit of Him who did raise up Jesus out of the dead doth dwell in you, He who did raise up the Christ out of the dead shall quicken also your dying bodies, through His Spirit dwelling in you. So, then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh; for if according to the flesh ye do live, ye are about to die; and if, by the Spirit, the deeds of the body ye put to death, ye shall live; for as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:11-14‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“for ye did not receive a spirit of bondage again for fear, but ye did receive a spirit of adoption in which we cry, ‘Abba — Father.’”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:15‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

The Spirit himself doth testify
with our spirit, that we are children of God; and if children, also heirs, heirs, indeed, of God, and heirs together of Christ — if, indeed, we suffer together, that we may also be glorified together.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:16-17‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“And the fruit of the Spirit is: Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; and those who are Christ's, the flesh did crucify with the affections, and the desires; if we may live in the Spirit, in the Spirit also we may walk; let us not become vain-glorious — one another provoking, one another envying!”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:22-26‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

God bless you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Thank you for sharing your own viewpoint with use of scripture as well, hopefully this will help people see where I’m coming from as for the use of the Bible in how a person who has come to faith can know how they are a child of God in a matter of fact statement, these scriptures can help laid out flat on the table I believe . Thank you again @Lambano.

Last edited: