How do OT promises made by God to the nation of Israel apply to Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SassyMommaCat

Apr 30, 2016
Greetings, all - I'm interested to see the various positions on this topic. Our pastor preached from Deuteronomy 28:1-14 this Sunday and it just didn't quite sit right for me. The suggestion seems to be that if you follow God's will and his commands that you will be materially blessed. First off, it is my opinion that promises made to the Nation of Israel were for just that - the nation as a whole vs. individuals within the nation and, therefore, full context should be considered - God was giving a promise to his chosen nation that if they as a collective people follow His mandates (the law), that they will receive blessings as a collective nation. So, what is your take on this? Are there different types of promises in the Bible (i.e., national vs. individual)? How does this particular passage apply to Christians on an individual level?

I'm interested to see the various perspectives on this. Hoping my first post here will generate a good discussion. Apologies if it's already been discussed to death in a previous thread!

Best regards,
smc

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
The law, by which I mean the Ten Commandments, is about how we live our life down hear on earth, and if we live a righteous life, a life that is right with God and a life that brings glory to his name, then I do believe we will be blessed. However our motive should be to glorify, and to be a shining example for him. Material wealth should be the last thing on our mind, for all temporal things wither and fade away.

Years ago I read about J.O.Y. which means to put Jehovah/Jesus first, Others next, and Yourself last.

It is the aim, or it should be, to be able to say along with the Christian Jew, the apostle Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
2Ti 4:7 KJV

May God bless as you seek to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi smc, I believe that the millennial promises that can be described as the "lion laying down with a lamb", etc. are for the nation of Israel in the millennium. Of course, they will only be able to enter in by accepting Christ as their Messiah. Aside from the 144,000, imo, the rest, both jew and gentile, will be allowed entrance based on the sheep and goat judgment of Matt. 25. The spiritual promises made were already fulfilled to the nation of Israel at Christ's first advent. see Acts 2:14-the end of the chapter. We as Gentiles inherit these same spiritual promises upon receiving salvation. I believe that as christians we have a heavenly destination whereas the latter day jews have an earthly one, at least until the NJ arrives.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Sassymommacat! I've been pondering this question this week too! And while I'm not cemented into any thought, here's what I reckon:

The nation of Israel was promised the land if they kept God's covenant...they didn't, and got turfed from it multiple times. However, many "elect" from the nation of Israel looked forward to the promise of the new covenant God would make. We see this in the NT about Abraham and David, among others. God extended grace to them, forgiveness of sins because they had faith in the future work of Christ (even if they weren't clear on what form the 'covenant of grace' would take).
When Jesus came and died and people entered into that covenant of grace (became Christians), they joined the elect of the OT...a continuation of that chosen people.
However...we're also told that national Israel remains beloved on account of those 'elect' fathers. I think Romans 9-11 puts forth a jolly good argument for God drawing large numbers of ethnic Jews to faith in Jesus.
I think this view, that God is not done with them yet, is also backed up by the current state of things. I mean, consider the odds of Israel being back in the land. The odds of a people retaining it's national identity and language even though being spread throughout the whole earth is astronomical. But that, on top of the fact that they managed to claim Israel (the land) for themselves again...it's got to be God wrought. And added to that, is also the constant, demonic persecution that has never ceased plaguing them. If God was done with them, I don't think Satan and his cohorts would waste their time pushing man to try and destroy the Jewish people.
That's what I think!

Reactions: 0bed

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Naomi25 said:
Hi Sassymommacat! I've been pondering this question this week too! And while I'm not cemented into any thought, here's what I reckon:

The nation of Israel was promised the land if they kept God's covenant...they didn't, and got turfed from it multiple times. However, many "elect" from the nation of Israel looked forward to the promise of the new covenant God would make. We see this in the NT about Abraham and David, among others. God extended grace to them, forgiveness of sins because they had faith in the future work of Christ (even if they weren't clear on what form the 'covenant of grace' would take).
When Jesus came and died and people entered into that covenant of grace (became Christians), they joined the elect of the OT...a continuation of that chosen people.
However...we're also told that national Israel remains beloved on account of those 'elect' fathers. I think Romans 9-11 puts forth a jolly good argument for God drawing large numbers of ethnic Jews to faith in Jesus.
I think this view, that God is not done with them yet, is also backed up by the current state of things. I mean, consider the odds of Israel being back in the land. The odds of a people retaining it's national identity and language even though being spread throughout the whole earth is astronomical. But that, on top of the fact that they managed to claim Israel (the land) for themselves again...it's got to be God wrought. And added to that, is also the constant, demonic persecution that has never ceased plaguing them. If God was done with them, I don't think Satan and his cohorts would waste their time pushing man to try and destroy the Jewish people.
That's what I think!
It is written in Revelation, that there are those who say they are Jews [true Israelites], but are not. I communicated with a Rabbi, and asked him if the 'Jews' had lost their 'children of God' status. He responded, "Sadly this is true, through improper marriage." We have to take into account, the lost tribes of Israel, as well. Since the scriptures tell us, "ALL ISRAEL SHALL BE SAVED", the descendants of the lost tribes must still be here on earth, but they are not aware of their being Israelites.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thorwald said:
It is written in Revelation, that there are those who say they are Jews [true Israelites], but are not. I communicated with a Rabbi, and asked him if the 'Jews' had lost their 'children of God' status. He responded, "Sadly this is true, through improper marriage." We have to take into account, the lost tribes of Israel, as well. Since the scriptures tell us, "ALL ISRAEL SHALL BE SAVED", the descendants of the lost tribes must still be here on earth, but they are not aware of their being Israelites.
How interesting that the Rabbi said that. I often see videos of them praying at the Wailing Wall, and I just feel sad. Man...they missed their Messiah! They're not like the other false religions of the world..they believe in the real God...and yet that won't save them. It's hard to understand how they could have missed Christ, what with all the prophecies he fulfilled (try all of them!). But I think that plays into the passage in Romans:

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
(Romans 11:25)

I think the "until" is the key word there, especially in light of what was said early in the passage. It would be quite amazing to see large numbers of Jews coming to the realization that Jesus is their Messiah!

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
Naomi25 said:
How interesting that the Rabbi said that. I often see videos of them praying at the Wailing Wall, and I just feel sad. Man...they missed their Messiah! They're not like the other false religions of the world..they believe in the real God...and yet that won't save them. It's hard to understand how they could have missed Christ, what with all the prophecies he fulfilled (try all of them!). But I think that plays into the passage in Romans:

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
(Romans 11:25)

I think the "until" is the key word there, especially in light of what was said early in the passage. It would be quite amazing to see large numbers of Jews coming to the realization that Jesus is their Messiah!
The Jews I speak with believe in an earthly king. When the Messiah comes in all his glory, guess to whom they will bow the knee? Jesus of course. I would love to be there to witness it. :)

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a word, NO. The Jews refused their promises when they had Jesus killed. Then God turned to the Gentiles with His grace. God has set in motion a plan of salvation that no longer depends on a person living in sinful flesh to be able to keep His perfect laws. So Jesus kept them for us.

Under grace, the only thing that condemns a person is the sin of unbelief. To not believe Jesus' shed blood has already paid for the person's sins of the flesh. To not believe it is refusing the work of God's Son on the cross.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
In a word, NO. The Jews refused their promises when they had Jesus killed. Then God turned to the Gentiles with His grace. God has set in motion a plan of salvation that no longer depends on a person living in sinful flesh to be able to keep His perfect laws. So Jesus kept them for us.

Under grace, the only thing that condemns a person is the sin of unbelief. To not believe Jesus' shed blood has already paid for the person's sins of the flesh. To not believe it is refusing the work of God's Son on the cross.

Wrong answer!...as Paul said in Romans "do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid. or do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law"...so if one is saved by grace, then one should want to follow God's law the ten commandments which pertain to EVERYONE..this is proof that you are actually on the road to salvation..if not forget it you are lost.
Paul also in Hebrews said God promises to write His commandments on our hearts and minds "AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD AND THEY WILL BE MY PEOPLE" if you do not have the God given commandments written on your heart and mind, well then you do not belong to God..

Reactions: 0bed