How Do People Become JW's?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was recently told by a former JW that nearly all JW's are raised to be JW's from children. Not converted when adults. It makes me wonder because I have asked several JW's how long they have been JW's. NONE have answered my question.

Last edited:

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was recently told that nearly all JW's are raised to be JW's from children. Not converted when adults. Wouldn't that be preying on children? It makes me wonder because I have asked several JW's how long they have been JW's. NONE have answered my question.
Most of us are raised to believe whatever religion that our parents believe in. I am an example. I was born into a Catholic family and raised in the Catholic Church. When I was 21, I read the Bible and left the Catholic Church to become a protestant.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was recently told that nearly all JW's are raised to be JW's from children. Not converted when adults.
This seems odd, considering how many JWs there are out there trying to win converts. Maybe their efforts at conversion aren't that successful.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This seems odd, considering how many JWs there are out there trying to win converts. Maybe their efforts at conversion aren't that successful.
So is becoming one of the 144000 like winning the lottery? By chance was Ed Mcmahon a Jehovah's witness? You could already be a winner!

• Haha
Reactions: Adrift

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My cousin was a convert. I don't know if she had any religious background growing up but as a young twenty something mum she fell prey to door-steppers and never looked back. Her husbands funeral was the worst I ever attended, it was just awful the lies they were telling. And even though she knew we were Christians she still kept in touch with us. She was a lovely lady, but a simple soul really. And she didn't like it once when we were out together and I went into a Christian bookshop with Christian music playing. She followed me in but once she realised what it was she couldn't get out the door quick enough.

In our town they seemed to stop the door to door missions and had stands with literature in the town centre.

Reactions: Jack

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The man who used to be our pastor had a JW stepmother. And I do know some of them get out because one of my 'friends' on a similar site to this had been a JW, but the JWs were no match for the Holy Spirit which he saw in the lives of some Christian friends.

Berean

Feb 29, 2024
Bronx
www.biblestudentsforum.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People join and leave churches/religions every day. What's the big deal? I was raised a Catholic, when I was 20, I resigned and joined a Bible study group that meet in homes. I think it's safe to say that the majority of church going people, are raised in that church. Yes, there are some, like myself that convert and leave the church of their birth.

Reactions: Adrift

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People join and leave churches/religions every day. What's the big deal? I was raised a Catholic, when I was 20, I resigned and joined a Bible study group that meet in homes. I think it's safe to say that the majority of church going people, are raised in that church. Yes, there are some, like myself that convert and leave the church of their birth.
JW?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was recently told by a former JW that nearly all JW's are raised to be JW's from children. Not converted when adults. It makes me wonder because I have asked several JW's how long they have been JW's. NONE have answered my question.
Well we all indoctrinate our children. But with the real Word of God it is a positive indoctrination.

But people who convert to the witnesses, generally speaking, do so because of a religious spirit. They want to take some or much of the credit for their salvation.

Reactions: marks

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea.

My hairdresser worked with a lovely JW, called Joe, she coloured my hair..lovely girl.

He left the salon where she worked, I followed him, if he ever gave up hairdressing I would go back to where Jo works, fantastic hair colourist she is.

Anyway, he was telling me a JW is only allowed to marry another JW?

She’s limited to who she can marry then?

She’s in her 30s still unmarried....beautiful girl she is.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What a great question and funny! They sneak up on people at home and knock on the door and catch the people stoned or half lit and lay some semi philospohical questions on them and then drop the bomb of an invitation to go see their church and when you sober up and dont show up, then you have 10 or 12 JW's surrounding your house knocking on doors & windows!

Arent JW's the ones who think Heaven has limited space and only so many many people can be saved? I think they are.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was recently told by a former JW that nearly all JW's are raised to be JW's from children. Not converted when adults.
That part is patently false when we recall JWs make it a mission to knock on doors and promote their ideology.

It makes me wonder because I have asked several JW's how long they have been JW's. NONE have answered my question.
Not unusual for silence to follow questions they are not equipped to answer.

The prohibition against images,for instance. And yet their teaching materials contain images of biblical patriarchs.

JW is a cult. Now that we're discussing this again I'm sure someone's other account that claims to be a JW will arrive to pursue a defense.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want info about JWs beliefs and practices go to a Kingdom Hall.

I do prefer asking someone personally about his faith, than asking to his declared enemies. They won't tell you anything good about him and his family.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How Do People Become JW's?​

Ahhhhhhh, categorisation! If we aren't witnessing to Jehovah as Jesus did, who are we witnessing to?

Wasn't Jesus a methodist ie, didn't he have the right method?
Wasn't Jesus catholic ie, his message was universal?
Wasn't Jesus SDA in that he honoured the Sabbath and looked forward to the consummation of all things?
Wasn't Jesus anglican ie, he had the right angle?

Categorisation hamstrings us. It justifies seeing people as objects of forgone conclusions. It allows us to judge with impunity. It allows our laziness in thinking to rule. It poisons the well of Life.