How do we 'love' God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
If you had to explain to someone how to fulfil the first commandment, what would you say?

After much thought on this I have realized this is not a simple a question.

John 14:15 reads easily. ''If ye love me, keep my commandments.'' But we have a dilemma. How do we love God by obeying the commandments when 99% of the commandments are for others and our own well being. Ie the second commandment by Jesus.

I believe we need to look deeper into the heart of God behind the commandments. When we steal, how is God hurt? I believe it is because we are hurting ourselves and giving in to sin. God loves us and hates sin.

I would summarize loving God as 1. Spending time with Him and 2. hating sin and repenting of it.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
If you had to explain to someone how to fulfil the first commandment, what would you say?

After much thought on this I have realized this is not a simple a question.

John 14:15 reads easily. ''If ye love me, keep my commandments.'' But we have a dilemma. How do we love God by obeying the commandments when 99% of the commandments are for others and our own well being. Ie the second commandment by Jesus.

I believe we need to look deeper into the heart of God behind the commandments. When we steal, how is God hurt? I believe it is because we are hurting ourselves and giving in to sin. God loves us and hates sin.

I would summarize loving God as 1. Spending time with Him and 2. hating sin and repenting of it.
I would say your summery is a great start!

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Excellent thead KingJ, subscribing.

Old Jack

shturt678 said:
Excellent thead KingJ, subscribing.

Old Jack
Thank you folks for caring!

My lower paygrade view of agape is more in the area of one's intelligent understanding of others for a corresponding higher intelligent purpose. I feel the English love waters down the meaning of agape.

Old Jack's opinion