How do you address opposing Scripture verses?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing more - not sure you would be able to prove anything. Obviously you can complain, which is not wrong and would make you feel as if you have done something. However it may leave you with more frustration. The thing with leaving things with God is that we then have to trust him to work things out in his timing. There will always be corruption and lack of accountability, sadly.
Rita

I've had a long struggle with what part is ours to perform as opposed to what we are to leave to God. I do believe that eventually someone's corrupt actions catch up with them but knowing what part is mine to fulfill is the difficult part.

I've wrestled with seeing corruption but Scripture says that God is a God of Justice, and He obviously built that sense of justice within each of us. Who of us isn't offended when we see some overt act of injustice? Although - such as in cases of slavery in years past, I think that unregenerate people become conditioned in specific ways - maybe to look upon others as less than human which is evil. If you read up on Nazi Germany you find that many of the German citizens knew what was being done to the Jews and they looked the other way so to speak. So aren't they at least partially guilty for their inaction? Scripture speaks of sins of commission and omission.

I recall reading about the man who wrote the song Amazing Grace - he used to be a slave trader, which is why he could so accurately pen the words "I was blind and now I see." So I think that a spiritually regenerated person should have a sense of justice that God puts within. So when I wrestle with these things and wanting to see justice I tell God that He's a God of Justice and He put those desires for justice within my heart

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, SG, here are two comments:

1. We have a some problems with the O.T. because we refuse to believe that it is INSPIRED by God and NOT WRITTEN by God. It's important to understand the difference.
The O.T. was written FOUR THOUSAND years ago. Different times, different culture.
The men of that time had the wonderful experience of having the creator of the universe reveal Himself to them. They felt the knew the monotheistic God,,, the One True God.
As it happened, they began to attribute everything that happened to them as coming from God. Try keeping this in mind the next time you read through the O.T. and see what happens. The trick is knowing when it's God speaking and when it's a man putting words in His mouth.

2. Turning the other cheek does not mean what we've come to understand.
In those times being slapped on the cheek was an insult. IN CASE there were others around,,,Jesus said to turn the other cheek NOT so the person could slap that side to,
but to show that the slapped person gave no important to the person slapping him because he gave importance to God and what God believed instead. It was a way of telling the slapper that he had no importance.

As to seeing someone doing something illegal or immoral...
It would depend what. If it affects other persons and will not ruin a happy relationship, maybe it should be uncovered --- or maybe not. Sometimes it's better to mind our own business, and sometimes it's better to speak up. Think of the effect and the ramifications. What will please God more?

I never heard that interpretation of turning the other cheek. I think it's a hard concept. But I did try to think of what would yield the most good. I had initially thought that turning the other cheek would but as time went on I saw that the lawyer basically stole that money with the aid of the court lawyer, and I began to think differently. Why should a lying son of the devil get to keep a child of God's money? I just began questioning my own reasoning. The lawyer is well-connected and I had to face whether there was any fear that played into the decision. Humans have a remarkable way of rationalizing.

There was no happy relationship with that lawyer - he was vile and abusive and lied through his teeth.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did Moses see God face to face?

Exodus 33:11
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had a long struggle with what part is ours to perform as opposed to what we are to leave to God. I do believe that eventually someone's corrupt actions catch up with them but knowing what part is mine to fulfill is the difficult part.

I've wrestled with seeing corruption but Scripture says that God is a God of Justice, and He obviously built that sense of justice within each of us. Who of us isn't offended when we see some overt act of injustice? Although - such as in cases of slavery in years past, I think that unregenerate people become conditioned in specific ways - maybe to look upon others as less than human which is evil. If you read up on Nazi Germany you find that many of the German citizens knew what was being done to the Jews and they looked the other way so to speak. So aren't they at least partially guilty for their inaction? Scripture speaks of sins of commission and omission.

I recall reading about the man who wrote the song Amazing Grace - he used to be a slave trader, which is why he could so accurately pen the words "I was blind and now I see." So I think that a spiritually regenerated person should have a sense of justice that God puts within. So when I wrestle with these things and wanting to see justice I tell God that He's a God of Justice and He put those desires for justice within my heart

Proverbs 17:15 KJV
[15] He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the Lord.

Maybe this will help to understand what you should do.
I believe it’s like 11 times in Romans alone the lord Jesus is said to have justified me the wicked (full pardon)

Tecarta Bible

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an offical made a mistake, point it out to him and ask him to correct it.
Turning the other check has nothing to do with mistakes or errors, but everything to do with deliberate exploitation.

luke17:"If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them."

are the verse you should follow.

Her "mistake" was deliberate - she knew what she did. She obstructed a legal brief from going before the judge she worked for - it was collusion between her and the corrupt lawyer handling the probate case for a corrupt sibling. She lied and said the brief was "sent to the wrong office" - anyone with any familiarity with courts knows that all mail is date-stamped. She said that the brief was filed too late and it wasn't and she knew it. I have all the requisite emails and letters that prove my case. She's a liar and abused her position to obstruct.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly why context is critical.

1. There are NO opposing Scriptures in the Bible. This is the fundamental premise in applying Bible truth.

2. There were certain commandments and certain teachings for certain times. For example, the ceremonial observances in the Old Covenant are null and void.

3. A serious effort must be made to harmonize what is in the Bible and understand that there is such a thing as progressive revelation. For example the Church was a mystery hidden from the OT prophets but revealed to Paul. And you won't find the Church mentioned after Revelation 3.

How do you account for the several verses I gave then? How can I make a decision that I know is right if Scripture at one point says "Have nothing to do with the evil deeds of darkness but even expose them" and elsewhere says "Turn the other cheek"? What decision would you personally have made, trying to harmonize seemingly opposing Scripture? I just haven't found it easy to do.

Another verse came to me: "The wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just" - yet Scripture doesn't say "The wealth of the righteous is laid up for the sinner" - and by NOT taking action against the corrupt lawyers, they are in essence gaining MY wealth. There are so many ways to look at any given situation and I find it very difficult to make the right decisions at times. Some things are easy - such as clear direction in Scripture - but other situational instances are hard because the path isn't always clear.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think turning the other cheek applies if someone is abusing their authority and trying to cause others to engage in that situation as well. Exposing them should be handled wisely...I would walk away and report them to someone who can address it.

That's the conclusion I finally reached. But I wish I had been able to make the call sooner. I really wandered through the wilderness, thinking that I should turn the other cheek at first. Then as time wore on the situation made me uneasy. I saw that I could have given that money to my family who could use it. The money didn't belong to that corrupt lawyer - he stole it - with the aid of the corrupt court lawyer.

But you're likely to find what I have: When an average person does something like that it's called a "crime" - when someone well-connected does something like that it's called a "little mistake" or an "oversight." But still I felt that I had to make a formal complaint so I did. I just wonder how I could have made a better decision the first time.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Her "mistake" was deliberate - she knew what she did. She obstructed a legal brief from going before the judge she worked for - it was collusion between her and the corrupt lawyer handling the probate case for a corrupt sibling. She lied and said the brief was "sent to the wrong office" - anyone with any familiarity with courts knows that all mail is date-stamped. She said that the brief was filed too late and it wasn't and she knew it. I have all the requisite emails and letters that prove my case. She's a liar and abused her position to obstruct.
Here’s the thing SG, The vile and wicked people Are who you were prior to coming to the knowledge of Christ. Isn’t that what the Scripture teaches us?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the conclusion I finally reached. But I wish I had been able to make the call sooner. I really wandered through the wilderness, thinking that I should turn the other cheek at first. Then as time wore on the situation made me uneasy. I saw that I could have given that money to my family who could use it. The money didn't belong to that corrupt lawyer - he stole it - with the aid of the corrupt court lawyer.

But you're likely to find what I have: When an average person does something like that it's called a "crime" - when someone well-connected does something like that it's called a "little mistake" or an "oversight." But still I felt that I had to make a formal complaint so I did. I just wonder how I could have made a better decision the first time.
We are to be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove. Wisdom in handling life matters can still be done humbly and justly. Reporting malpractice of a licensed professional is our right and our duty. Just as exposing false teachers and false prophets is our responsibility. People like that are serving satan...I think one reason why evil has gained so much strength is because Christians turned the cheek one too many times....if ya know what I mean.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's word will not contradict itself. When we see what appears like a contradiction it is because our paradigm is is faulty or the context is not understood.

You can be certain that when God used Israel of old as his method of eradicating peoples he has long suffered with, their cup was full.

When God finally destroys all traces of sin and sinners it will be because every avenue to redeem the situation has been exhausted.

If one doggedly hangs onto the way that suits one's view when it is in error, the indictor will be that we cannot reconcile God's word with his word. One will either have to ignore what doesn't fit into our view and therefore be dishonest with oneself or one must take the courage, discard pride and humbly ask God to show us our error. Being teachable is a daily, nay hourly exercise for any person who loves righteousness and desires to do God's will.

Yes but what of the verses I gave? How would you personally think to apply the following verses: "Have nothing to do with the unfruitful deeds of darkness but even expose them..." vs "Therefor if thine enemy is hungry feed him..." ?

Which verse would you personally have applied to the situation I explained? I can't be the only one who wrestles with this - although I'm also at a point in my walk where I'm questioning all of my previously held beliefs. I know someone who Christianity has been a crutch to. He was never an assertive person and now, instead of standing up for himself or his views, he makes excuses that he's being a good "Christian" by abdicating all responsibility for acting in his own behalf. So I've seen where Christianity can be used as a kind of crutch. If we're emotionally honest with ourselves we can learn to recognize times of self-deception.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove. Wisdom in handling life matters can still be done humbly and justly. Reporting malpractice of a licensed professional is our right and our duty. Just as exposing false teachers and false prophets is our responsibility. People like that are serving satan...I think one reason why evil has gained so much strength is because Christians turned the cheek one too many times....if ya know what I mean.
1 Corinthians 4:12-13 KJV
[12] And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: [13] Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

Tecarta BibleHere’s a model for you.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 4:12-13 KJV
[12] And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: [13] Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

Tecarta BibleHere’s a model for you.
I still have no problem with reporting a licensed professional for malpractice.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I think we've had some wrong views of what turning the other cheek means at times - I struggle with knowing - but I think that compromising with evil is never good and sometimes only leads to more proliferation of evil.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how else to interpret the verses that seem to oppose each other. When I was spiritually reborn I began to understand Scripture a little at a time. It could be a case of not having divine understanding, but I've been a believer for over 40 years and I try to walk close with God.

It's interesting that you say "whatever direction brings the most peace of Christ" because I tried turning the other cheek and it didn't sit well with me. I kept thinking why am I going to let this liar keep $800 of money I could give to my family or to do something good with it - why should I let someone who used lies and trickery keep that money. So I didn't have peace about my decision to turn the other cheek. I only wish that the decision had been easier and I had made the right decision from the start.

By Divine understanding I mean, I’m sure (as we all have) you have read and reread a verse and to the best of your understanding think you understand the verse. And than one day, God as it were turns the light on and you understand the verse in such a deeper and new way. This happens to new and old believers (Praise God) for this is how we grow Spiritually. This is how I see those verses that seem to contradict each other. I trust God and believe there are no contradictions in truth. For I see that as a impossibility .... That is how I mean the term “Divine understanding”.

As far as the “peace of Christ in your heart”..... Whatever doesn’t cost you your joy. Whatever leaves Christ on His Throne in your heart... If you don’t or can’t see clearly enough to know.... just wait before Him and do nothing. Take the loss and trust God in the situation. For He sees all things and only wants to bless, so I’ve discovered, when things go against what I know to be right. Just trust and wait before God whether it costs me or not. For it’s His creation we are part of and He does rule all things... For in this world we may not understand this or that, but we don’t live for the now, we live looking toward God and His righteousness and love and hope and wait on Him.

Hope it helps with my meaning and to encourage.

Be blessed in Christ, Not me

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I think we've had some wrong views of what turning the other cheek means at times - I struggle with knowing - but I think that compromising with evil is never good and sometimes only leads to more proliferation of evil.
Turning the other cheek, IMO, has to do with when someone is trying to goad you into battle. Whether physical or mental or spiritual or emotional. They are trying to provoke a reaction from you....in this situation it is better to just turn the other cheek and walk away.