How do you address opposing Scripture verses?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here’s the one I’m wrestling with currently Psalm 146:3 KJV Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man [IN HUMAN BEINGS], in whom there is no help.
John 3:14 KJV And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man [THE LORD JESUS CHRIST] be lifted up:
As you can see, two different things are being discussed. "The Son of Man" is the title that Jesus Himself preferred to use when speaking of Himself. But the Jews knew that according to Daniel the Son of Man was divine, since the Ancient of Days handed over the Kingdom of God to Him. See Daniel 7.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do appreciate your insight, the question I have now is the phrase son of man a reference to the flesh?
The phrase "son of man" is a reference to Adam and the fall, i.e., a son of the first Adam, a son of the fall, a son of sin against God.

In the case of Christ: a son of sin, who knew no sin, thereby prevailing against sin and death.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase "son of man" is a reference to Adam and the fall, i.e., a son of the first Adam, a son of the fall, a son of sin against God.

In the case of Christ: a son of sin, who knew no sin, thereby prevailing against sin and death.
He said in the garden the flesh was weak but the spirit was willing. Is it the Spirit that is the qualifier? Still trying to reconcile all of this.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you can see, two different things are being discussed. "The Son of Man" is the title that Jesus Himself preferred to use when speaking of Himself. But the Jews knew that according to Daniel the Son of Man was divine, since the Ancient of Days handed over the Kingdom of God to Him. See Daniel 7.
And then Daniel is called that.

Dan 8:17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.

So is Ezekiel:

Eze 2:1 And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then Daniel is called that.

Dan 8:17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.

So is Ezekiel:

Eze 2:1 And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee.
But He giveth power to be called the sons of God

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said in the garden the flesh was weak but the spirit was willing. Is it the Spirit that is the qualifier? Still trying to reconcile all of this.
That would depend on how you mean "qualifier."

If you mean as sentence structure, making "the spirit" a grammatical qualification of "the flesh." Then, No. Grammatically they are opposites...which is the point of the statement.

If you mean as "the spirit" being the way "the flesh" obtains redemption with God. Then, Yes indeed. Thus, it is a gift from God.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would depend on how you mean "qualifier."

If you mean as sentence structure, making "the spirit" a grammatical qualification of "the flesh." Then, No. Grammatically they are opposites...which is the point of the statement.

If you mean as "the spirit" being the way "the flesh" obtains redemption with God. Then, Yes indeed. Thus, it is a gift from God.
Well what I mean is it’s the Spirit that gives life, still researching, the son of man in my opinion as of now is what was crucified.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would need to give more details - perhaps then people would be able to offer better advice.
Also' turning the other cheek ' is not about simply forgetting or ignoring, in biblical times it would have meant the opposing person having to do something culturally ' offensive ' if they slapped the other cheek. So it was a challenge to the oppressor.
Rita

Hi Rita!
I've never heard that scripture taught in quite this way - "...a challenge to the oppressor"...hmmm, yet something else to look into! I've always likened it to being insulted, and to accept the insult without retaliation. As for the rest of that verse, I cannot imagine that God would have us be used by giving our belongings, or money to whomever asks. Also, doesn't God let us know when it is right to give and who to give to? I know many users in the Church...and they have their hand out all the time. They do not work and have a sense of entitlement. I sure got to know them by their "fruits", but not after they stole from me and lied many times. It's like, where do we draw the line?
xo

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 25:6 KJV
[6] How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?

First reference of son of man
Tecarta Bible
Psalm 22:6 KJV
[6] But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Tecarta Bible

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We had to deal with someone acting in an official capacity do something wrong. I wasn't sure whether to "turn the other cheek" or "have nothing to do with the unfruitful deeds of darkness but rather expose them." There seem to be dueling Scripture verses. Another example is when Scripture commands us to love our enemies, yet David prayed for harm to befall his enemies in the imprecatory psalms. Another example is when Scripture states that "no one has ever seen God" and yet Moses is said to have seen God face to face.

How do you handle dueling Scripture verses? What do you do if you have a decision to make about a course of action and yet Scripture seems to oppose itself?
God's word will not contradict itself. When we see what appears like a contradiction it is because our paradigm is is faulty or the context is not understood.

You can be certain that when God used Israel of old as his method of eradicating peoples he has long suffered with, their cup was full.

When God finally destroys all traces of sin and sinners it will be because every avenue to redeem the situation has been exhausted.

If one doggedly hangs onto the way that suits one's view when it is in error, the indictor will be that we cannot reconcile God's word with his word. One will either have to ignore what doesn't fit into our view and therefore be dishonest with oneself or one must take the courage, discard pride and humbly ask God to show us our error. Being teachable is a daily, nay hourly exercise for any person who loves righteousness and desires to do God's will.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And then Daniel is called that...So is Ezekiel:
And that is why I stated at the beginning -- context is critical. The title *Son of Man* belongs to the Son of God.

For Daniel and Ezekiel it simply means "O man".

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had to deal with someone acting in an official capacity do something wrong. I wasn't sure whether to "turn the other cheek" or "have nothing to do with the unfruitful deeds of darkness but rather expose them." There seem to be dueling Scripture verses. Another example is when Scripture commands us to love our enemies, yet David prayed for harm to befall his enemies in the imprecatory psalms. Another example is when Scripture states that "no one has ever seen God" and yet Moses is said to have seen God face to face.

How do you handle dueling Scripture verses? What do you do if you have a decision to make about a course of action and yet Scripture seems to oppose itself?
0) Pray & seek inspiration & be willing to learn
1) Study context
2) Look at big picture
3) If there still appears to be a contradiction, seek wise counsel.

And if there still appears to be a contradiction, maybe look at the possibility that this bit of God's ways you're not going to understand today.

B

Butterfly

Hi Rita!
I've never heard that scripture taught in quite this way - "...a challenge to the oppressor"...hmmm, yet something else to look into! I've always likened it to being insulted, and to accept the insult without retaliation. As for the rest of that verse, I cannot imagine that God would have us be used by giving our belongings, or money to whomever asks. Also, doesn't God let us know when it is right to give and who to give to? I know many users in the Church...and they have their hand out all the time. They do not work and have a sense of entitlement. I sure got to know them by their "fruits", but not after they stole from me and lied many times. It's like, where do we draw the line?
xo
I heard a brilliant sermon on this many years ago, wish I could find the notes as it opened up the cultural meaning in such a great way, gave a lot more understanding - also on the verse about going the extra mile. It is about retaliation, but I believe it is also about the cultural relevance of using your left and right hands. not sure why I used the word ' oppressor ' but it's the one doing the hitting - so it would be appropriate as a friend wouldn't slap you !!!!
Anyway, can't remember which hand it is but it would have been a cultural insult for a person to use their left or right hand in this way, so by offering the other cheek you are placing the opposing person with a dilemma.
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Context and emotional reaction.
The evil who come to us to force us to do something through domination, should not be resisted.
We are not interested in their wanting signs of dominance and control, they can have them.

But their behaviour in terms of evil deeds needs to be exposed and our behaviour is not to follow these deeds.

Often words in scripture are addressing particular people and their choices in life and how we are to approach them. If one does not have the same heart and view of the speaker of the approach it is easy to miss-understand. Scripture is full of sentences, which speak directly to particular situation and people, get that wrong and then the meaning is lost.

Loving ones enemies is to understand them and know why they are as they are. It does not mean one does not want justice or even their judgement, but it is about avoiding rejecting people because they disagree with us. The world is full of people who make their opponents evil and wrong as individuals because they hold a different position, while many hold positions because of their own hurtful and abused backgrounds, which if we had experienced we would also disagree with our own position.

No one has ever seen God, in the sense of dwelling with the Father, knowing Him, walking with Him. Clearly people have had encounters with God, but at a distance, where His throne was seen but not fully who He was. Isaiah says

"my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty" Isaiah 6:5

he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." Exodus 33:20

We can see the form of God but not His face. Seeing His face is profound intimacy, that will kill us unless we are in Christ. Jesus says this about himself

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" John 14:9

Seeing Jesus is seeing Gods heart, His purity, His holiness and His truth.

Contradictions in scripture do appear, but in Christ they are no more. But to find the answers we must risk everything we hold dear and be prepared to walk away if it turns out to be false. How great is your love and desire to know Christ? How wonderful is the work He is doing in your heart that you might see the fruit of God working in man. God bless you

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think there are any “dueling scripture” verses. I think it is our lack of Divine understanding of scripture that gives rise to the confusion.... Which we all see and experience from time to time. As with all directions, increase and growth from God, it must come inwardly. So whichever direction brings the most of the “peace of Christ” in your heart, would be the way I would think to proceed. For as long as your heart stays soft and open to His Spirit in you He is quite faithful to guide you.

That has been my experience, so I wish you well with your decisions.

In Christ, Not me

I don't know how else to interpret the verses that seem to oppose each other. When I was spiritually reborn I began to understand Scripture a little at a time. It could be a case of not having divine understanding, but I've been a believer for over 40 years and I try to walk close with God.

It's interesting that you say "whatever direction brings the most peace of Christ" because I tried turning the other cheek and it didn't sit well with me. I kept thinking why am I going to let this liar keep $800 of money I could give to my family or to do something good with it - why should I let someone who used lies and trickery keep that money. So I didn't have peace about my decision to turn the other cheek. I only wish that the decision had been easier and I had made the right decision from the start.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here’s the one I’m wrestling with currently

Psalm 146:3 KJV
[3] Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

John 3:14 KJV
[14] And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

Tecarta Bible
Tecarta Bible
Tecarta Bible

That's a good example. I believe the Bible is inspired by God but the inconsistencies can't be ignored. Unless as someone mentioned above, there is some spiritual insight yet to be given to grasp the meaning. I know Scripture says in Matthew 13:11 "to you it has been given to understand the mysteries and to them it has not been given..." So when we hit a snag like this, is it because we haven't been given full understanding yet?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This with David always confused me also. To turn the other cheek...consider God said we are to submit to God’s wrath for man’s wrath works not righteousness. Let their table become a stumbling block, a snare...David didn’t work this but consider how long it took God to work and fulfill what was asked, for good and not evil. Proverbs 30:33 Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

Give place to God’s wrath...He says to feed your enemies and give them drink (heaping coals of Fire upon their head)and the Lord will reward you. Light exposing darkness: 1 Peter 2:20-23 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. [21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: [22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: [23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

^Did light expose the darkness? In “who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judges righteously”

I'm unsure what you mean? I know we are given an example of Christ - but there is a dichotomy there also: Christ did nothing when the soldiers came to arrest him and Peter cut off the guards ear - and Christ healed it. But in another Scripture we're shown Christ turning over the tables of the money changers and driving them out of God's House.

I tried projecting what would be the best outcome - if the lying individuals turned to God if I turned the other cheek. Ultimately, that benefits all of us since there are more ethical, moral people populating the world. But then I thought that if I let it go then they'll be shown that lying and cheating works and they'll continue to do it. Also I began thinking of how frugal I am and how I've had to work hard for anything I've gotten - so does it glorify God if I turn the other cheek and let that lying lawyer go blow the $800 he stole from me on his pleasures - money he didn't earn?

Some of these decisions get very tricky and when there are verses that seem to contradict one another it's hard to judge what the best course of action is.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't think turning the other cheek applies if someone is abusing their authority and trying to cause others to engage in that situation as well. Exposing them should be handled wisely...I would walk away and report them to someone who can address it.