HOW DO YOU APPROACH GOD IN PRAYER?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone besides me have to spend some of prayer time confessing their sins? Not that I think God won't forgive me my sins if I don't confess each and every one of them (that could take a while, and there's probably a lot of sins I committed that I forgot or didn't notice that I committed in the first place), but I found confession helps me. But I don't want to spend too much prayer time obsessing over my own sins; I don't think that's spiritually healthy.

Yes! That is the first thing I do, thank Him for His forgiveness and mercies that are new each day :) ...unless the reason I am approaching Him in the first place is solely for asking forgiveness. And I agree, focusing on our sin is not healthy, Satan uses it against us, even after repenting and, it can become daunting and overwhelming.
So yeah, guess you are not alone there brother.

Reactions: Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes! That is the first thing I do, thank Him for His forgiveness and mercies that are new each day :) ...unless the reason I am approaching Him in the first place is solely for asking forgiveness. And I agree, focusing on our sin is not healthy, Satan uses it against us, even after repenting and, it can become daunting and overwhelming.
So yeah, guess you are not alone there brother.
i was taught to 'keep a short account' which was to recognise sinfulness and confess it - even negative or critical thoughts.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i was taught to 'keep a short account' which was to recognise sinfulness and confess it - even negative or critical thoughts.

Yes, I do that too Pat, and let me say that there have been lots of negative thoughts flitting through my mind for months now so, there has been lot's of repentance.
Yes indeed, short accounts are crucial in our faith. Dangerous ground when/if we do not immediately repent of sin...the longer we wait, the more it shows up our pride.
Good points sister!
xx

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I do that too Pat, and let me say that there have been lots of negative thoughts flitting through my mind for months now so, there has been lot's of repentance.
Yes indeed, short accounts are crucial in our faith. Dangerous ground when/if we do not immediately repent of sin...the longer we wait, the more it shows up our pride.
Good points sister!
xx
I found even unspoken criticism was bad for my spiritual welfare and without a doubt unforgiveness can be a killer but thanks be to God that has never been one of my big 'issues'.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other mode of prayer I wanted to mention: A teacher called it "Hangin' with Jesus", which I hope doesn't sound too irreverent. It's deliberately unfocused. It's ... mostly silence and listening. A trust (an awareness?) that Jesus is there. Drifting is okay, but if something comes to your heart, say it. Sometimes I'll drift off into a peaceful sleep, and that's okay too.
Meditation prayer.

Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oooo, I hadn't heard that term before. (But I have to admit, I'm partial to "Hangin' with Jesus".)
OIP.6W0edgxjEjs3uy-CQSJmpAHaE7

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so much nicer and more personal. :cool:
I respect anyone who can operate a fountain pen with that degree of skill. My experience with those pens inevitably leads to ink splotches on the paper, the furniture, my clothes, my skin...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I respect anyone who can operate a fountain pen with that degree of skill. My experience with those pens inevitably leads to ink splotches on the paper, the furniture, my clothes, my skin...
My daughter bought me a fountain pen for my recent birthday, I love it but it hasn't done much to improve my handwriting

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone besides me have to spend some of prayer time confessing their sins? Not that I think God won't forgive me my sins if I don't confess each and every one of them (that could take a while, and there's probably a lot of sins I committed that I forgot or didn't notice that I committed in the first place), but I found confession helps me. But I don't want to spend too much prayer time obsessing over my own sins; I don't think that's spiritually healthy.
Hello @Lambano,

This is a tricky one, because although we have been forgiven for our sins, I believe that it is only right that we say sorry, as you would to a loving Father, whose love you are assured of. You still say, "Dad, I'm sorry, I have done wrong", "thank you for forgiving me". In that way we are walking in the light as He is in the light and the blood of of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

That in no way denies the fact that He has forgiven us: but simply acknowledges our natural propensity to sin and shows our gratitude for sins forgiven. Yes?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Christ

Reactions: Pearl

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Lambano,

This is a tricky one, because although we have been forgiven for our sins, I believe that it is only right that we say sorry, as you would to a loving Father, whose love you are assured of. You still say, "Dad, I'm sorry, I have done wrong", "thank you for forgiving me". In that way we are walking in the light as He is in the light and the blood of of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

That in no way denies the fact that He has forgiven us: but simply acknowledges our natural propensity to sin and shows our gratitude for sins forgiven. Yes?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

"Yes", he said, with a twinkle in his eye.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Lambano,

I find myself constantly having to be reminded that in me, that is in my flesh, there is no good thing: for I am still upset with myself for obviously falling short in my flesh, and being upset that what I do is what I most want not to do. This can interfere with my ability to approach Him in prayer, for I feel so unworthy. But this is the attempt of the enemy of our souls to prevent our fellowship with the Father and the Son by His Spirit. We must come, regardless of our feelings, regardless of what our eyes see, in simple faith believing that His arms are always open to receive us, and His ears open to hear our prayers. Knowing that He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I am so grateful that the risen Lord, through Paul, told us of the conflict in Romans, so that we would understand what is going on inside us.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris