HOW DO YOU APPROACH GOD IN PRAYER?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you John,
I am glad I shared it as , it is really giving me options and more understanding. Finally got a thread off the ground with more than only one page of reply's :D

Was hoping to hear from @Angelina as, I KNOW she is very strong in prayer.
The tongues, wish I had them, have prayed deeply for years and to no adieu so...not all speak in tongues anyhow, and cannot seem to separate the "tongues and the "prayer language". I mean, tongues is NOT an angelic language as, all the angels spoke in the same language of the people they brought messages to.
Sorry to all who do have this gift, you have to understand that not ALL have it and if they do not, many here say they are not saved! That would be a "works" salvation and I know quite a few who fake the whole thing...I did at one time. Why so much on the tongue gift anyhow...what of the rest of those verses...get bitten by a poisonous snake lately? Drink any poison lately? Nah, didn't think so. So please, stop judging those who do not have this. It is NOT a matter of faith as I had such strong faith in this back in the early 1990's and still...nothing. Then once reading that not all have this gift, it settled my mind and heart...fast forward a couple decades and I'm seeing and hearing Christians telling those who do NOT do tongues...unsaved. That is horrible as, you could have someone believe they are not saved, and they could be pushed even further away from Christ. God is Judge of all things and, He judges rightly.
Sorry John, went a bit off on a tangent there, lol.
Much love and prayers brother.
Be always blessed of God, sister!

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh so true Rita, I had asked a worker several years back when Elaine was here, if he knew anything about dementia and his answer was simply "no". I'm floored as, I know so many who went down that road sadly, yet to be fair, I was working with many, many patients in the Hospital and saw so many go down, little by little. I think it has got to be one of if not THE worst disease out there, especially for the families of their loved one affected. Very scary for them also as the onset can throw them and scare them cause they still have most of theiur memories at that point.
Rita, you deal with them daily and I give you such kudos for that, VERY draining, for sure. God bless your sweet heart sister.

And, I do remember you telling me that you use this video in the training so, I know you saw it...just squeezes my heart every time I see it.
xx
It can be draining Nancy, but as a housekeeper i am a little bit detached from the responsibility that the carers have, so it’s only mentally draining when we have a really bad shift where many of the residents are reacting. Also I get to know the resident WITH dementia and have no awareness of what they were before the illness took hold, so my relationship is based on who they are now, not who they were. Much harder for fa ily and friends , like yourself with Elaine xxxxxx

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously, think about Turing the “needed repairs” into a “Feature” of a potential buyer. All day long people buy homes for very specific reasons, (location, a pool, a basement, whatever) and immediately want to “change” what is not to their liking. Just saying, for example; “I reserved not doing this or that” (repair), because people are so diverse in what they like, and wanted the new homeowner to do choosing their own likes, brands, flare.

Highlight their likes already existing of specifics and highlight needed repairs to their likes, ideas, talents. It removes you from the equation of spending on what you will not be living there to enjoy the effort.
As far as “agents”, do your homework. Not so much about what an agent can do for you, but search tips for DIY, (what an agent will not tell you), that keeps more $ in your pocket. And BTW, more people search the internet for potential homes, than real estate offices.

Yes, wise! I will be selling as is after all important things are taken care of...plumbing, want the electric checked out and nee to extend my gutter. The cosmetics except for 3 new floors/flooring will be on them...was going to replace the cupboards but decided not to. The decks and fencing is also in need of repair/replacement but, that too will be on the one buying it.

I've been looking on Zillow and a few other sites too. Praying for direction and wisdom here as I have only owned this house, I have rented most of my life as, I've always lived alone. Want to put it on the market in Spring, I have someone coming to put down a ceramic floor in the spare room, just had the kitchen and hallway floors done with awesome tile. Have to hire someone for deep cleaning after getting rid of anything I have not used in at least a year, lol. Cannot do that kind of cleaning myself as I would be a hurtin unit for days after.

The assessed price for my home is way higher than it is really worth but, the housing market is really offering way low rates. There is a Christian couple that I would be willing to give a substantial amount off if they were to purchase it, not sure what they want yet.

Either way, God has this and knows I am not very savvy with all the housing rules, terms and such so, I am going with a realtor my brother just used...now he has bought and sold several houses and knows what he's talking about. My decisions usually come back to bite me! Lol.

Reactions: Taken

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have just connected very, very deeply with you! I used to think I must be a very bad and ugly prayer. I don’t pray anything like the prayers others pray out loud. I can’t stress enough how totally unlike those prayers mine are. Mine are…very few words, sometimes even just…sighs with no words. I might say…Lord have mercy on me! , or…oh Lord, that man needs your help! Sometimes it might be…thank you for showing me that Lord!
And I cannot say, I’m going to sit down with the intent of praying. It never works for me. If I sit down with great intent, I always sit there remembering that I do not know how to pray. But let me be in some extreme weariness from the world and I can’t save it for a “prayer time” but will just immediately tell Him how weary and near fainting I am.
And I almost never pray for someone else what they have specifically asked me to pray. I do pray for them sometimes but what comes out is different from what they asked.

More recently, I came to think, well…love, real love, has turned out to be different than what I always supposed it to be so…maybe true prayer is the same, not what I supposed it to be…

And what you’ve said about journaling works the same way for me.
Prayer, like our relationship with Jesus is very personal and just as we all approach life in our unique ways so too that is how we approach our prayer lives. God knows this for He made us and knows we are just dust.

Psalm 103:13-14
As a father has compassion on his children,
so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, wise! I will be selling as is after all important things are taken care of...plumbing, want the electric checked out and nee to extend my gutter. The cosmetics except for 3 new floors/flooring will be on them...was going to replace the cupboards but decided not to. The decks and fencing is also in need of repair/replacement but, that too will be on the one buying it.

I've been looking on Zillow and a few other sites too. Praying for direction and wisdom here as I have only owned this house, I have rented most of my life as, I've always lived alone. Want to put it on the market in Spring, I have someone coming to put down a ceramic floor in the spare room, just had the kitchen and hallway floors done with awesome tile. Have to hire someone for deep cleaning after getting rid of anything I have not used in at least a year, lol. Cannot do that kind of cleaning myself as I would be a hurtin unit for days after.

The assessed price for my home is way higher than it is really worth but, the housing market is really offering way low rates. There is a Christian couple that I would be willing to give a substantial amount off if they were to purchase it, not sure what they want yet.

Either way, God has this and knows I am not very savvy with all the housing rules, terms and such so, I am going with a realtor my brother just used...now he has bought and sold several houses and knows what he's talking about. My decisions usually come back to bite me! Lol.

Some agents Only list, while others focus on selling. Two profit margin split. Never be shy to ask either one for reduced commission %. Some buyers will ask for 3rd party inspection, some won’t. Pretty much all realtors will have the inspection fees added, the Title co fees added, filing fees, etc. Which Title searches are easy, and some buyers may be satisfied with your report. (Which is pretty much searching back, that there are no outstanding leans.) You may even have much of the work already done with your own paperwork from when you bought 5 years ago, to review over. Also add in factors if they are getting a mortgage or cash sale. Mortgage lenders typically require the the extra fee stuff. You would be surprised how many Can do cash deals, wave extra fees, and the paper work step by step, not complicated and online forms or (office supply). You can do search specific to your State, cash, required paperwork to file. Filing also has a fee, not too bad, and not complicated. Also search things “realtors Don’t want you to know”...helps with tips. All for more money in your pocket than an others. :)

Edited...BTW Cleaning maid services may have maids that do specific, called a “make ready” I believe. Sort of you putting/packing much of your personal stuff, pictures, jewelry, over stuffed closets, etc. and they do deep cleaning for potential buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes I have had people who have said ‘ just relax, do this , this and this, and it will just happen……’
What they seem to forget is that the gift in the first place, and in their case , was governed by the Holy Spirit not by them. I think I have indirectly felt envious, but that was at a time when I considered that they must be better christians than me, so it just added to my own insecurities when I felt there was a pecking order……and I felt definitely at the bottom !!!
You know if I started talking in tongues in my home my family would have had me sectioned !! Lol
maybe the miracle was in the hearing?....I'm speaking of the tongues thing

Reactions: Taken and Rita

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are like me, many times daily, people pop into my mind to pray for. I could be doing dishes, feeding the dogs, showering, and yes, even using the "facilities" when this happens.
Lately it seems as though this is somewhat irreverent as, shouldn't we always have an attitude of reverence, thanksgiving and worship while praying?

Also, do you always have the same time of the day that you pray, never wavering? Not me. It could be at 3 P.M. or 7 A.M. when He puts someone on my heart.
Of course there are times of fervent prayer, where I feel as though kneeling and full focus (try anyhow) on The Lord seems to compel, or push me to my knees. Many times there is silence in my mind and there flits a million people, places and things that ALL need prayer so, then the mind goes quiet and I ask God to please hear what is on my heart. Those are truly "breakthrough" times for me as, it does not always come easy.
I know we have some awesome prayer warriors here and, hope to hear some things that you practice when it comes to prayer.

I've not been given the gift of "tongues" or the "prayer language" (NOT that I haven't asked Him for this, because I sure have!) Thoughts go to the fact that God sees/hears our hearts and what is in them is what is important to Him. So if praying without words at all, just thoughts...knowing that He already knows your thoughts, does He still hear? I say YES He does.
Anyone wish to share their prayer habits? Would love to hear some other's thoughts on this as, it is SO important.

God bless and Happy New Year!
I totally agree with you and I have been the same way and trying to change it.

And if you read the Bible and see Jesus in the garden or look at how Daniel prayed, or man just the Psalms, it seems that is what we are called to.

I haven't done this but I have considered writing down what I intend to pray for and then seriously, not passively, praying when I'm ready to "meet with God". Is it right? Idk, but ....

Psalm 42:2 says

"My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

When shall I come and appear before God?"

But it is sort of habitual and I really need to learn to pace myself.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tongues, wish I had them, have prayed deeply for years and to no adieu so...not all speak in tongues anyhow, and cannot seem to separate the "tongues and the "prayer language". I mean, tongues is NOT an angelic language as, all the angels spoke in the same language of the people they brought messages to.
Sorry to all who do have this gift, you have to understand that not ALL have it and if they do not, many here say they are not saved!

Okay, I have to tell this story. I met Brother Willis on a couple of other forums. When Brother Willis got out of the Air Force, he and his wife found a church they really loved. Wonderful, Spirit-filled services, good loving people. But when he inquired about membership, the Deacon told him the gift of Tongues was required for proof you're a Christian, and neither he nor his wife had that gift. Now, Brother Willis knew his Bible. He told the Deacon, "Well, per 1 Corinthians 12, Tongues is only one of the Gifts of the Spirit. My Gift is Spiritual Discernment, and right now I'm discerning that you're full of (crap) and you need to repent!" Brother Willis was a good man. He's long gone now, sad to say.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I have to tell this story. I met Brother Willis on a couple of other forums. When Brother Willis got out of the Air Force, he and his wife found a church they really loved. Wonderful, Spirit-filled services, good loving people. But when he inquired about membership, the Deacon told him the gift of Tongues was required for proof you're a Christian, and neither he nor his wife had that gift. Now, Brother Willis knew his Bible. He told the Deacon, "Well, per 1 Corinthians 12, Tongues is only one of the Gifts of the Spirit. My Gift is Spiritual Discernment, and right now I'm discerning that you're full of (crap) and you need to repent!" Brother Willis was a good man. He's long gone now, sad to say.
Haven't made my mind up about it. I thought I did have it for a while, now I don't.

If you look at the tiny little letter at the end of verse-22 in 1 Cor 14, it leads to Isaiah 28:11-12.

I still haven't figured it out yet, but I think at least it isn't as prevalent as we thought.

Reactions: Taken and Lambano

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some agents Only list, while others focus on selling. Two profit margin split. Never be shy to ask either one for reduced commission %. Some buyers will ask for 3rd party inspection, some won’t. Pretty much all realtors will have the inspection fees added, the Title co fees added, filing fees, etc. Which Title searches are easy, and some buyers may be satisfied with your report. (Which is pretty much searching back, that there are no outstanding leans.) You may even have much of the work already done with your own paperwork from when you bought 5 years ago, to review over. Also add in factors if they are getting a mortgage or cash sale. Mortgage lenders typically require the the extra fee stuff. You would be surprised how many Can do cash deals, wave extra fees, and the paper work step by step, not complicated and online forms or (office supply). You can do search specific to your State, cash, required paperwork to file. Filing also has a fee, not too bad, and not complicated. Also search things “realtors Don’t want you to know”...helps with tips. All for more money in your pocket than an others. :)

Edited...BTW Cleaning maid services may have maids that do specific, called a “make ready” I believe. Sort of you putting/packing much of your personal stuff, pictures, jewelry, over stuffed closets, etc. and they do deep cleaning for potential buyers.

Thanks Taken, I will be saving this to my computer for future reference.
There is a good friend who cleans like a madwoman! lol... she will do it once stuff is out. Am mostly interested in the closing costs and the interest rate. MY credit is very good, praise God! So, not concerned about NOT getting a decent percentage. I've placed it all in His hands for now, and already have two private people who might be interested :)
Thank you!!

Reactions: Taken

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t think I can as it’s just something I am considering. I know many who just , like @Heart2Soul and @Pearl seem to go deeper, but maybe that’s because they speak in tongues ( I can’t ) …..
Rita
The first thing I do is get into an atmosphere of worship by singing praise and worship songs....(He inhabits our praises) ....when I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit I begin my prayers....starting with the Lord's Prayer...thoroughly addressing each area of the prayer....then I begin praying in tongues to go deeper in prayer...and finally I just wait and listen to hear what He has to say...
Sometimes I am in prayer for 30 minutes and sometimes for 1 to 3 hours....when I am interceding for someone that God has put on my heart I pray until the burden lifts.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first thing I do is get into an atmosphere of worship by singing praise and worship songs....(He inhabits our praises) ....when I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit I begin my prayers....starting with the Lord's Prayer...thoroughly addressing each area of the prayer....then I begin praying in tongues to go deeper in prayer...and finally I just wait and listen to hear what He has to say...
Sometimes I am in prayer for 30 minutes and sometimes for 1 to 3 hours....when I am interceding for someone that God has put on my heart I pray until the burden lifts.

I have "gift envy " for prayer, lol! Awesome.
xxoo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree with you and I have been the same way and trying to change it.

And if you read the Bible and see Jesus in the garden or look at how Daniel prayed, or man just the Psalms, it seems that is what we are called to.

I haven't done this but I have considered writing down what I intend to pray for and then seriously, not passively, praying when I'm ready to "meet with God". Is it right? Idk, but ....

Psalm 42:2 says

"My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

When shall I come and appear before God?"

But it is sort of habitual and I really need to learn to pace myself.

Thanks Fluffy,
When it comes to all things God, no pacing needed. :D Can't
get too much of Him. :D
Yes, most Psalms seem prayers of passion and fervency. Lot's to be learned from them for sure!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul Happy new year!

Prayer is all about attitude of heart, right?

And about searching the Scriptures also....

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh that gave me my early morning chuckle ….what a brilliant response xx

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have "gift envy " for prayer, lol! Awesome.
xxoo
I endeavour to know my place when talking with God. He is the Lord and I the servant. The servant does not tell the Lord what to do or how to do it. It is the Lord who has that prerogative.

Reactions: Nancy and Rita