HOW DO YOU APPROACH GOD IN PRAYER?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The candle had no significance other than a means to focus. But even if it doesn't 'work' for you it may give you some idea of what might work.
Funny you mention candles (and what may 'work' for me) - I've got a Thomas Kincaide shadow-box thingy with LEDs on my wall that somebody gave me for Christmas quite a few years back. I found that I focused better with Kincaide's lights on. It's been a while since I've done that; I had completely forgotten.
I had to replace the batteries in the Kincaide shadow box and clean the corrosion off the contacts, but the light does help me focus. Because I expect it to help me focus? Nothing wrong with that. Christians believe in miracles, not magic.

Someone (probably my ex-daughter-in-law whose name also doesn't get mentioned around our house) also gave me a small Kincaide sculpture called "The Light of Peace". This is a lighthouse in the middle of some bad storm with an LED that lights up. It also helped me focus, and I like the lighthouse symbolism. Now I'll forever associate Mr. Kincaide's art with prayer. I could do worse. Again, thank you, @Pearl, for the tip.

I also tried @Heart2Soul's tip about going through the Lord's Prayer bit by bit. The part about "...as we forgive those who trespass against us" juxtaposed with (ahem) the reasons why my ex-daughter-in-law's name does not get mentioned around our house was a bit ... (ahem) ... convicting.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone besides me have to spend some of prayer time confessing their sins? Not that I think God won't forgive me my sins if I don't confess each and every one of them (that could take a while, and there's probably a lot of sins I committed that I forgot or didn't notice that I committed in the first place), but I found confession helps me. But I don't want to spend too much prayer time obsessing over my own sins; I don't think that's spiritually healthy.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone besides me have to spend some of prayer time confessing their sins? Not that I think God won't forgive me my sins if I don't confess each and every one of them (that could take a while, and there's probably a lot of sins I committed that I forgot or didn't notice that I committed in the first place), but I found confession helps me. But I don't want to spend too much prayer time obsessing over my own sins; I don't think that's spiritually healthy.
i think as you say the Lord's prayer and get to 'forgive us our sins . . . ' then that is a place to remember our misdemeanors before God and know we are forgiven, and, '. . . as we forgive those who sin against us' becomes a place where we seek God's help to forgive those we need to forgive. God can't forgive us if we hold unforgiveness in our hearts and I think that is a real cause for concern as unless we can forgive we can't move forwards.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think i can break up my prayer time into 3 categories...
1 - Give thanks and praise
2 - Repentance
3 - Ask for fortitude and strength for myself and others
But i don't know many prayers and usually just stick to the Our Father that Jesus taught us

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think i can break up my prayer time into 3 categories...
1 - Give thanks and praise
2 - Repentance
3 - Ask for fortitude and strength for myself and others
But i don't know many prayers and usually just stick to the Our Father that Jesus taught us

Rabbi Marc Geldman, who writes a syndicated column that appears in our Sunday paper, says there are four kinds of prayers:
  • Thanks!
  • Oops! (Confession; I would've used "Sorry!")
  • Wow! (Praise)
  • Gimme! (Petitions for the things we need)

Reactions: Rita and Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rabbi Marc Geldman, who writes a syndicated column that appears in our Sunday paper, says there are four kinds of prayers:
  • Thanks!
  • Oops! (confession)
  • Wow! (Praise)
  • Gimme! (Petitions for the things we need)

Aww really... Thats awesome...
I feel like the Holy Spirit led me to my conclusion and im grateful to the Lord.
The only difference i had was putting thanks and praise in the same category

Reactions: Lambano

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Pearl and co.,

I have enjoyed reading through many of the entries on this thread.

I find prayer difficult when I sit down with that intention, so stilted and unnatural. Yet sometimes when I do not expect it prayer comes, and flows readily, which is wonderful. During the day I find myself sometimes praising, giving thanks, or requesting, as the thought comes. Sometimes it comes as I read the word of God itself, in the form of worship, and sheer gratitude. I do not know what to pray for as I ought, and I know that the Holy Spirit prays for me with words that cannot be uttered.

I read a true story about a young girl in India named, Mimosa, who came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as her Saviour. Who had no knowledge of the Scriptures, but who had heard the gospel preached and believed what she heard. She lived in a Hindu community, and was entirely alone in her belief. She would go into the store house and hold out her apron before the Lord, to receive the blessings He would give. She went with a spirit of expectation and trust, but few if any words, and I believe that is how we should approach God too, and be prepared to listen, and to receive what He has to give.

Thank you, everyone for your contributions.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Pearl and co.,

I have enjoyed reading through many of the entries on this thread.

I find prayer difficult when I sit down with that intention, so stilted and unnatural. Yet sometimes when I do not expect it prayer comes, and flows readily, which is wonderful During the day I find myself sometimes praising, giving thanks, or requesting, as the thought comes. Sometimes it comes as I read the word of God itself, in the form of worship, and sheer gratitude. I do not know what to pray for as I ought, and I know that the Holy Spirit prays for me with words that cannot be uttered.

I read a true story about a young girl in India named, Mimosa, who came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as her Saviour. Who had no knowledge of the Scriptures, but who had heard the gospel preached and believed what she heard. She lived in a Hindu community, and was entirely alone in her belief. She would go into the store house and hold out her apron before the Lord, to receive the blessings He would give. She went with a spirit of expectation and trust, but few if any words, and I believe that is how we should approach God too, and be prepared to listen, and to receive what He has to give.

Thank you, everyone for your contributions.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris!
I trust you had nice holidays, aren't you glad they are over??

"I find prayer difficult when I sit down with that intention, so stilted and unnatural. "

YES! This is why I won't make a "specific" time of day or night to intentionally pray, even though we are told to pray for all men everywhere. It feels forced and phony, empty, devoid of substance.
Just love the story of the little Hindi girl, such faith! And how strong she must have been with nobody to share her faith with.

"I do not know what to pray for as I ought, and I know that the Holy Spirit prays for me with words that cannot be uttered."

Yes, silence. There have been maybe about 5 or 6 times I've been able to grab on to this kind of prayer, very fervent and tearful, can't find words but you have that actual groaning while spilling your heart out to Him. These kinds of prayers are so very intense! And, coming away from them, trails the sense that you truly connected with God. And these are those that seem to get answers much faster than the little popcorn prayers throughout the day. But then, those kinds of prayers we mostly will not see the answer to as, with me, those prayers are for anyone walking down the street, passing by certain places in the car, praying for the grumpy cashiers, waitresses...on and on. We don't know them, but i believe God also honors those prayers as well.
Hope all is good Chris.
God bless sister.

Reactions: Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find prayer difficult when I sit down with that intention, so stilted and unnatural.
I know that feeling, and the harder you try the more it eludes you.
Yet sometimes when I do not expect it prayer comes, and flows readily, which is wonderful During the day I find myself sometimes praising, giving thanks, or requesting, as the thought comes.
That too is how it is with me but I always thought I was lacking because I didn't have a regular time and place.
YES! This is why I won't make a "specific" time of day or night to intentionally pray,
Me too, and often the 'real' prayers come at unexpected times, like last night as I stood at my bedroom window in the dark before getting in to bed I spontaneously prayed for the neighbourhood.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thank you John,
I am glad I shared it as , it is really giving me options and more understanding. Finally got a thread off the ground with more than only one page of reply's :D

Was hoping to hear from @Angelina as, I KNOW she is very strong in prayer.
The tongues, wish I had them, have prayed deeply for years and to no adieu so...not all speak in tongues anyhow, and cannot seem to separate the "tongues and the "prayer language". I mean, tongues is NOT an angelic language as, all the angels spoke in the same language of the people they brought messages to.
Sorry to all who do have this gift, you have to understand that not ALL have it and if they do not, many here say they are not saved! That would be a "works" salvation and I know quite a few who fake the whole thing...I did at one time. Why so much on the tongue gift anyhow...what of the rest of those verses...get bitten by a poisonous snake lately? Drink any poison lately? Nah, didn't think so. So please, stop judging those who do not have this. It is NOT a matter of faith as I had such strong faith in this back in the early 1990's and still...nothing. Then once reading that not all have this gift, it settled my mind and heart...fast forward a couple decades and I'm seeing and hearing Christians telling those who do NOT do tongues...unsaved. That is horrible as, you could have someone believe they are not saved, and they could be pushed even further away from Christ. God is Judge of all things and, He judges rightly.
Sorry John, went a bit off on a tangent there, lol.
Much love and prayers brother.

Hi @Nancy , it took me sometime to read through your thread and I was delighted to find so many members here who pray similarly and in a variety of ways. God is so good. I have found that prayer is very much like the sanctification process. As we grow in a variety of prayer strategies or modus operandi, we also mature in our relationship with the Father, through his son.

When you think about it, God doesn't really need our prayers because he knows things before they happen but he wants us to pray anyway, he wants us to care about others, our neighbors, our families and even prayer for our own needs because it brings us closer to him. Prayer releases the fruit of love and he delights in supplying or intervening on behalf of his children or others when we pray. This is not always the outcome of our prayer because he knows the beginning from the end, but most times prayer blesses those who are on our heart according to the Holy Spirit's leading.

Very rarely do I use speaking in tongues when praying but this really depends on whether I am on my own or as part of a small group or corporate prayer. Worship is the key door opener into the Holy of Holies for me as I have spent 25 years as a Worship Leader. This usually leads to singing in tongues, then the prophetic flows where sometimes I get pictures or visions in my head and then prayer for specific people according to the Holy Spirit's leading.

I do not believe that not speaking in tongues means that you are unsaved and I never will. It's also not part of the salvation message....and I'm tired of people adding things on to the end of the salvation message.

Bless you Nancy xox
Angelina!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol...the truth of His Word convicts us but at the same time if we heed the message it sets us free!:)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the Bible says to.

And sometimes I start confessing of other sins I committed before coming back to Christ that I forgot about...

And then other times the same sins over and over again because I want God to know I'm serious even though I know I should trust Him and once was enough, but I continue.

Human nature, I suppose.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The best times of prayer that I have had are when I have been walking on a long lonely beach with my hands in my pockets just chatting to the Lord about what has come to mind. Sometimes it seems as if the conversation goes two ways because in the process I am stimulated with fresh insights and thoughts which have greatly increased my faith, and often when I have talked about specific issues, the exact verse of Scripture comes to mind that totally confirms what He thinks about it. I have never memorized Scripture, and many times verses that I have not thought about for years have come to mind connected with a specific issue I have been talking to God about.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Nancy , it took me sometime to read through your thread and I was delighted to find so many members here who pray simiarly and in a variety of ways. God is so good. I have found that prayer is very much like the sanctification process. As we grow in a variety of prayer strategies or modus operandi, we also mature in our relationship with the Father, through his son.

When you think about it, God doesn't really need our prayers because he knows things before they happen but he wants us to pray anyway, he wants us to care about others, our neighbors, our families and even prayer for our own needs because it brings us closer to him. Prayer releases the fruit of love and he delights in supplying or intervening on behalf of his children or others when we pray. This is not always the outcome of our prayer because he knows the beginning from the end, but most times prayer blesses those who are on our heart according to the Holy Spirit's leading.

Very rarely do I use speaking in tongues when praying but this really depends on whether I am on my own or as part of a small group or corporate prayer. Worship is the key door opener into the Holy of Holies for me as I have spent 25 years as a Worship Leader. This usually leads to singing in tongues, then the prophetic flows where sometimes I get pictures or visions in my head and then prayer for specific people according to the Holy Spirit's leading.

I do not believe that not speaking in tongues means that you are unsaved and I never will. It's also not part of the salvation message....and I'm tired of people adding things on to the end of the salvation message.

Bless you Nancy xox
Angelina!

"God is so good."
Inexplicably so!
Our minds cannot fathom the depths of His goodness, we could never come near it.
I have found that prayer is very much like the sanctification process."

It would be good to hear your thoughts/beliefs on this (sanctification) as, it also has so many different definitions!

"Worship is the key door opener into the Holy of Holies for me as I have spent 25 years as a Worship Leader."

Awesome sister. Worship in music will do many things for us, at least for myself. I do not care for lights and smoke but, more toned down music with lyrics pertaining mostly to Him...not so easy to find. It is at my house that the best worship takes place. Love it.
"I do not believe that not speaking in tongues means that you are unsaved and I never will. It's also not part of the salvation message....and I'm tired of people adding things on to the end of the salvation message."

Phew, so glad you do not see it that way! Some believe that if one does not have a "sign" gift that they cannot truly be saved. This has made many a Christian feel "less than".

Thank you for chiming in Angelina!
I hope God blesses your socks off sister!!!

Dosia

Jan 24, 2021
Manitoba
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good post.
God is my closest friend, so I pray and talk to him continually, good thing we have cells and speaker phones, and what not, that way it doesn't look like I'm talking to myself, whenever, day and night, wherever I might be, when the thought or desire to pray comes, I pray. It's often very brief silent prayers. I still make a time for my nightly prayers. God bless you and Happy New Year to you and to all on this board. .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post.
God is my closest friend, so I pray and talk to him continually, good thing we have cells and speaker phones, and what not, that way it doesn't look like I'm talking to myself, whenever, day and night, wherever I might be, when the thought or desire to pray comes, I pray. It's often very brief silent prayers. I still make a time for my nightly prayers. God bless you and Happy New Year to you and to all on this board. .

Thank you Dosia,
Happy New year and God bless you too!
Yes, good thing we have the phones, lol. Thanks for contributing to the thread :)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other mode of prayer I wanted to mention: A teacher called it "Hangin' with Jesus", which I hope doesn't sound too irreverent. It's deliberately unfocused. It's ... mostly silence and listening. A trust (an awareness?) that Jesus is there. Drifting is okay, but if something comes to your heart, say it. Sometimes I'll drift off into a peaceful sleep, and that's okay too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One other mode of prayer I wanted to mention: A teacher called it "Hangin' with Jesus", which I hope doesn't sound too irreverent. It's deliberately unfocused. It's ... mostly silence and listening. A trust (an awareness?) that Jesus is there. Drifting is okay, but if something comes to your heart, say it. Sometimes I'll drift off into a peaceful sleep, and that's okay too.
I like that. That's often how I am but thought maybe it didn't count. And isn't it great that Jesus wants to 'hang out' with us.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For so many years I was hung up and inhibited about prayer because of all the 'This is how to pray' sermons and books. I never felt I was 'doing it right' and because of that I lost out so much. Then I decided to kick all the teaching about the 'correct way' to do it into touch and be spontaneous just I would with my human father. No frills, no set patterns but just talking; sometimes lighthearted; sometimes serious; sometimes just 'help' and other times long conversations. But I learned that the Holy Spirit should be in it , prompting and also speaking. In other words a two way conversation.