HOW DO YOU APPROACH GOD IN PRAYER?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are like me, many times daily, people pop into my mind to pray for. I could be doing dishes, feeding the dogs, showering, and yes, even using the "facilities" when this happens.
Lately it seems as though this is somewhat irreverent as, shouldn't we always have an attitude of reverence, thanksgiving and worship while praying?

Also, do you always have the same time of the day that you pray, never wavering? Not me. It could be at 3 P.M. or 7 A.M. when He puts someone on my heart.
Of course there are times of fervent prayer, where I feel as though kneeling and full focus (try anyhow) on The Lord seems to compel, or push me to my knees. Many times there is silence in my mind and there flits a million people, places and things that ALL need prayer so, then the mind goes quiet and I ask God to please hear what is on my heart. Those are truly "breakthrough" times for me as, it does not always come easy.
I know we have some awesome prayer warriors here and, hope to hear some things that you practice when it comes to prayer.

I've not been given the gift of "tongues" or the "prayer language" (NOT that I haven't asked Him for this, because I sure have!) Thoughts go to the fact that God sees/hears our hearts and what is in them is what is important to Him. So if praying without words at all, just thoughts...knowing that He already knows your thoughts, does He still hear? I say YES He does.
Anyone wish to share their prayer habits? Would love to hear some other's thoughts on this as, it is SO important.

God bless and Happy New Year!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like you, I have a lot of impromptu, extemporary prayers, like, "Father, that sunset sure is pretty". (And I'm glad I'm not the only one who prays while "using the facilities".) For more focused (well, I wish they were more focused) prayers, I prefer the classic child's posture - kneeling beside the bed. (Is a child's posture symbolic of something?) This is typically first thing in the morning. Or middle of the night, if there's something serious on my mind and I can't sleep. One occupational hazard with morning prayer: The Sneaky Labrador will try to lick my feet to remind me that somebody needs to go for a walk.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you are like me, many times daily, people pop into my mind to pray for. I could be doing dishes, feeding the dogs, showering, and yes, even using the "facilities" when this happens.
Lately it seems as though this is somewhat irreverent as, shouldn't we always have an attitude of reverence, thanksgiving and worship while praying?

Also, do you always have the same time of the day that you pray, never wavering? Not me. It could be at 3 P.M. or 7 A.M. when He puts someone on my heart.
Of course there are times of fervent prayer, where I feel as though kneeling and full focus (try anyhow) on The Lord seems to compel, or push me to my knees. Many times there is silence in my mind and there flits a million people, places and things that ALL need prayer so, then the mind goes quiet and I ask God to please hear what is on my heart. Those are truly "breakthrough" times for me as, it does not always come easy.
I know we have some awesome prayer warriors here and, hope to hear some things that you practice when it comes to prayer.

I've not been given the gift of "tongues" or the "prayer language" (NOT that I haven't asked Him for this, because I sure have!) Thoughts go to the fact that God sees/hears our hearts and what is in them is what is important to Him. So if praying without words at all, just thoughts...knowing that He already knows your thoughts, does He still hear? I say YES He does.
Anyone wish to share their prayer habits? Would love to hear some other's thoughts on this as, it is SO important.

hi there Nancy .

I must say for the last couple of decades. … - “I pray without ceasing “….:)
Sometimes I get on my knees , but not often…my prayer life is is just one continual chat .

Without sounding irreverent I hope……I don’t “ approach God “ I just continually believe that He is always with me, ly
If we call Him Father ( as I do) it removes the gulf or distance between us and God .

When I have no words to pray for a situation , I just kind of picture myself sitting on His lap and telling Him the problems.
Paul said that Jesus removed the middle wall of petition and removed the gulf .

Obviously many do not believe as I do… legalists like to feel religious and do religious things , they think it’s more Holy.

But, we are not trying to become, we already are….. “In Christ “.

just my two cents Nancy. x

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t get on my knees that often either, and I ‘ chat’ like a few have mentioned, but I also journal and write prayers and have conversations that way…..BUT I have always felt that there was something wrong in this way of communicating, that somehow ‘ it’s the wrong way ‘ …….that I should be doing something else, but it just doesn’t come natural , so I constantly feel I am failing !!!
So it’s interesting to read what others do……….and helpful.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I don't think God cares about the formalities or the lack of them. What he cares for is your heart, my heart.....He knows whether there is respect and reverence or no and so I talk to him any which way in any place or time or circumstance....including 'the facilities'......and if he wants to change my MO I suppose he'll let me know.

What I do find interesting though is in movies where the communication is often candid to the point of surprising even rattling.....I suppose any choreographed script can perform wonders.....wonders that people in general don't live by.....theirs is all second guessing, scheming, putting their best foot forward, name dropping and look how much I know sort of thing etc etc.....except on CB where abuse easily flows like acid out of an upturned tanker......anyway, I'm getting off track, my point being, to be self honest and candid with God at least like in some movies, is a plus.....but who even knows what self honesty entails?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t get on my knees that often either, and I ‘ chat’ like a few have mentioned, but I also journal and write prayers and have conversations that way…..BUT I have always felt that there was something wrong in this way of communicating, that somehow ‘ it’s the wrong way ‘ …….that I should be doing something else, but it just doesn’t come natural , so I constantly feel I am failing !!!
So it’s interesting to read what others do……….and helpful.
Rita, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Your way of praying is as natural as breathing - for you. And that's how it should be.

Maybe he-whose-name-will-not-be-mentioned wants you to feel like you're doing it wrong so you won't pray?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rita, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Your way of praying is as natural as breathing - for you. And that's how it should be.

Maybe he-whose-name-will-not-be-mentioned wants you to feel like you're doing it wrong so you won't pray?
Lol , I think ‘ he whose name will not be mentioned ‘ wants me to believe I am not praying ….it’s been working. Being off work with covid has given me time to ‘ be still ‘ and a few problems with my children, a book that Dan brought that was really aimed at Christian women ( so he gave it to me ) and a few other things , including this thread and what others have shared, are being used to make me aware of something xxx
@Nancy , thanks for the thread xxxx
Rita

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol , I think ‘ he whose name will not be mentioned ‘ wants me to believe I am not praying ….it’s been working. Being off work with covid has given me time to ‘ be still ‘ and a few problems with my children, a book that Dan brought that was really aimed at Christian women ( so he gave it to me ) and a few other things , including this thread and what others have shared, are being used to make me aware of something xxx
@Nancy , thanks for the thread xxxx
Rita
Interesting. Could it be the opposite - the Holy Spirit calling you to deeper prayer?

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t think I can as it’s just something I am considering. I know many who just , like @Heart2Soul and @Pearl seem to go deeper, but maybe that’s because they speak in tongues ( I can’t ) …..
Rita
I can count the times I've experienced it on one hand and still have fingers left over. It's not something I can just dial up. It starts with more focused prayer and... goes deeper. Something happens on the other end. Start with that and see what happens.

I can't speak in tongues either. I ran into a guy over at the Community College who tried to teach me. Uh-uh, doesn't work that way. Sheesh, now I'm getting spiritual-gift-envy again and need to repent. :oops:

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HOW DO YOU APPROACH GOD IN PRAYER?
OP ^

Personally via thoughts in my heart.
Sort of like a continual one sided silent informal conversation, day and night, any time, any place.

I believe my hearts thoughts are triggered via my soul, (senses), of what I hear, see, touch, smell, taste.
(Despite the crazy world, and things men invent, say and do)
Every day I am in awe of Gods handiworks everywhere.
An endless acknowledgement of thank you’s, requests for comforts for ailing persons and animals, and show me, reveal to me, put in my path the answers, knowledge, understanding, that I lack.

A fairly simple, but all encompassing, circle repeated over and over, with the injections of Gods responses, that as well, are revealed any time, any place.

When with, another person or persons, it is more formal, with verbal speech, direct calling on His Name, typically one speaker, holding hands, heads bowed, eyes closed, requests for blessings, thankfulness and praise unto Him.

Glory to God,
Taken

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can count the times I've experienced it on one hand and still have fingers left over. It's not something I can just dial up. It starts with more focused prayer and... goes deeper. Something happens on the other end. Start with that and see what happens.

I can't speak in tongues either. I ran into a guy over at the Community College who tried to teach me. Uh-uh, doesn't work that way. Sheesh, now I'm getting spiritual-gift-envy again and need to repent. :oops:
Yes I have had people who have said ‘ just relax, do this , this and this, and it will just happen……’
What they seem to forget is that the gift in the first place, and in their case , was governed by the Holy Spirit not by them. I think I have indirectly felt envious, but that was at a time when I considered that they must be better christians than me, so it just added to my own insecurities when I felt there was a pecking order……and I felt definitely at the bottom !!!
You know if I started talking in tongues in my home my family would have had me sectioned !! Lol

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Taken , it won’t let me quote your last post but I do know that when I really do in-depth study there is a greater awareness of something within me……..I must admit that tiredness gets in the way more these days. It’s a bit of a battle to get into really deep study like I use to when I was younger and didn’t have my job and dad to take care of……….I actually think I have been battling a depression for a very long time.
Of course, all excuses, not valid reasons to not do it x

Reactions: Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don’t think I can as it’s just something I am considering. I know many who just , like @Heart2Soul and @Pearl seem to go deeper, but maybe that’s because they speak in tongues ( I can’t ) …..
Rita
I also would like to go deeper Rita. I used to find that something like lighting a tea light or holding my little wooden cross helped me to keep focused, otherwise I tend to get distracted by other thoughts.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also would like to go deeper Rita. I used to find that something like lighting a tea light or holding my little wooden cross helped me to keep focused, otherwise I tend to get distracted by other thoughts.
Since I have focus problems also (doesn't everybody?), this might be worth a go, with the understanding that what works for somebody else might not be right for me.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl