How do you know if a prophecy is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had three people say the same thing over me at ages 7, 14-15, and late 20s. I didn't know any of them.

It would be that I would lead in a battle involving worship.

The first one was by a woman and I can't remember the whole thing. It is on tape somewhere. It involved 2 Chron 20. It involved making it out.

The second one was a man and so far he narrowed everything down perfectly so far. And not all of that is pleasant. His made it sound like we would make it out, too, and because I would be "rewarded" it sounded like, when it was over.

The third one was a little strange and seemed to involve personal impressions of what it was for. He believed it was the worship before Christ's return, which is the opposite of the first two where we are still on the earth, and I cannot find anything about this in scripture.

I have not personally picked up on any of this for myself, aside from living through the events that the second man mentioned.

And it drives me nuts that I was so young, I don't know his name and I can't look him up to try to figure out if he was a true prophet or not.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah! Fluffy, do not despair, not every one who prays or prophecies over us has been sent by God to do so. My discernment of other people is not always spot on from their perspective, but the prayers and prophetic words that I may have for others hopefully helps that person to draw closer into God's loving embrace and in doing so they are actually worshipping God. They have the confidence to rest in His arms and to be at peace with God in all that they do. Does this mean that they will not sin? Certainly not, but when they realise their "sin," they will fall down and repent of that sin of turning away from God, and then they will get up off of their face and begin to worship God once again.

Keep turning always to God for His endorsement and not the endorsement of man or their master, Satan.

Keep giving thanks that God is with you in all that you are doing and that He will never leave you while your focus is on worshipping Him in all that you do. Let God help you to renew your mind in the things of His kingdom and be confident in the renewed personhood that God wants you to become so that you shine like a bright light for those who are around you in the confidence that you have in your relationship with God.

May you always know and be secure in your relationship with God.

Amen and Shalom

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah! Fluffy, do not despair, not every one who prays or prophecies over us has been sent by God to do so. My discernment of other people is not always spot on from their perspective, but the prayers and prophetic words that I may have for others hopefully helps that person to draw closer into God's loving embrace and in doing so they are actually worshipping God. They have the confidence to rest in His arms and to be at peace with God in all that they do. Does this mean that they will not sin? Certainly not, but when they realise their "sin," they will fall down and repent of that sin of turning away from God, and then they will get up off of their face and begin to worship God once again.

Keep turning always to God for His endorsement and not the endorsement of man or their master, Satan.

Keep giving thanks that God is with you in all that you are doing and that He will never leave you while your focus is on worshipping Him in all that you do. Let God help you to renew your mind in the things of His kingdom and be confident in the renewed personhood that God wants you to become so that you shine like a bright light for those who are around you in the confidence that you have in your relationship with God.

May you always know and be secure in your relationship with God.

Amen and Shalom
Thanks @Jay Ross just looking to get some closure about things in my life and get some kind of healing from it. Trying to end the confusion.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Jay Ross just looking to get some closure about things in my life and get some kind of healing from it. Trying to end the confusion.
Precious FYD, I know what you mean. I may have been lucky {or It Was God's Purpose}, that I found out early on, as a new babe In CHRIST, that I should "forgive Every One in my past, for the abuse they caused me to suffer." So I did obey God, According To HIS Scripture!:

Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God For Christ's Sake Hath Forgiven you.

For doctrinal Confusion about other things like baptism, prophecy, tongues, healing, etc. Well that took another 11 years for me, When God Led me to 2 Timothy 2:15.

For "prophecy" I pray the following may be helpful to start Solving some of the Confusion for you:

3 gifts Superseded By THREE Gifts

Precious FYD, Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified!

(2 Timothy 2:15; Romans 16:25; Ephesians 1:3-9; Ephesians 3:9 =
Grace/Mystery
fellowship {Romans – Philemon}, For ALL "to SEE," today?)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had three people say the same thing over me at ages 7, 14-15, and late 20s. I didn't know any of them.

The first one was by a woman and I can't remember the whole thing. It is on tape somewhere. It involved 2 Chron 20. It involved making it out.

The second one was a man and so far he narrowed everything down perfectly so far. And not all of that is pleasant. His made it sound like we would make it out, too, and because I would be "rewarded" it sounded like, when it was over.

The third one was a little strange and seemed to involve personal impressions of what it was for. He believed it was the worship before Christ's return, which is the opposite of the first two where we are still on the earth, and I cannot find anything about this in scripture.

I have not personally picked up on any of this for myself, aside from living through the events that the second man mentioned.

And it drives me nuts that I was so young, I don't know his name and I can't look him up to try to figure out if he was a true prophet or not.

Answer to the title question: You wait to find out. :)

I know that sounds like a let down, but the tricky thing about prophecy is that how it is interpreted can cause one to misread what's said, even if it was accurate and from the Lord. For instance, there were some prophecies about Trump that things would be exposed in Philadelphia that made voter fraud evident (this came to pass), and some thus surmised that he would "win the election." I sensed that wasn't happening, so I posted that what was said didn't necessarily mean he would win, just that certain things would be exposed.

Interpreting prophecy is exceedingly tricky; it takes not only an ability to interpret well but also gifts of discernment and word of knowledge to get the full picture right. I've since backed off somewhat from having the same confidence regarding interpreting dreams as I once had, largely because without a full understanding of surrounding contexts one can be wildly off on things, and as I said, only word of knowledge and discernment can keep you from making those kinds of mistakes. The exception would be those dreams about subjects you're already highly familiar with, such as about yourself that you already know, or things going on politically or on the world stage that you know all have to go a certain way based on what the Lord has already revealed to you.

If you want some advice, set aside time to pray to receive greater gifts, so that you better understand prophecies when they come forth, can discern what is of God and what is not, and accurately interpret what is.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would venture to say that all prophecies are recognized as being true after their fulfillment. We really do not know if a prophetic statement will happen or not till it does. One thing that helps with the Bible is it's accuracy of those that have been fulfilled, giving us belief that that which is yet to be fulfilled will be. If everything someone said came true, no doubt you would not doubt that what was not yet fulfilled will be.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks all. <3 Not something I usually worry about too much.

I can't say for sure about the first woman. I'm just up in the air about it.

But the second guy seems right about everything so far, down to my location, and the last few years, and if he is right I know I'll be okay. This guy was a visitor to our church and he was supposed to be legit; apparently had been talking with the Bush administration.

I had this weird belief that if I didn't have enough faith with some things they wouldn't happen and I'd be stranded and my whole experience would be for nothing, or I would be offending God. Not necessarily the same with this prophecy because I don't feel like I have to do anything.

On the other side of that, I had the belief that if I believed things that weren't true then I would get into more trouble and I'd be opening a door to be messed with.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had this weird belief that if I didn't have enough faith with some things they wouldn't happen and I'd be stranded and my whole experience would be for nothing, or I would be offending God.

Yeah, don't adopt this belief. I've made a number of bad choices in my life that have seemed to derail His plan for me for a time. Nothing ever stopped me however from continuing to progress towards serving God. I have no doubt He had better plans for me if I hadn't been so dimwitted on occasion, but He simply develops a new plan in light of where you are each time you make decisions that effect your life. I doubt if He's offended with His children "not having enough faith" or failing to make wise decisions. If He got angry with such things every time, He'd be one "angry God" indeed.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?
22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three people stating the same thing seems to confirm it. But also keep in mind that prophecies whether true or false can be self fulfilling. And remember:

Matthew 23:11-12

King James Version

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three people stating the same thing seems to confirm it. But also keep in mind that prophecies whether true or false can be self fulfilling. And remember:

Matthew 23:11-12

King James Version

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
I have thought about three seeming to be confirmation even if the third guy seemed to come up with his own idea on it.

But I was wondering, doesnt a prophecy have to be confirmed by two or more people?

I can't find that verse but if so, I can really let go of a lot of other things and be at peace with it.

Reactions: dev553344

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have thought about three seeming to be confirmation even if the third guy seemed to come up with his own idea on it.

But I was wondering, doesn't a prophecy have to be confirmed by two or more people?

I can't find that verse but if so, I can really let go of a lot of other things and be at peace with it.

I think that you are referring to this passage in Matthew 18:15-20, but it has nothing to do with prophecy said over people.

Or perhaps you are thinking of this passage in 1 Corinthians 14:26-33.

Being given a prophecy to speak over another person(s) does not mean that the prophecy is right, or come to pass, or is for that specific time period, which can also lead to confusion for the receiver of that prophecy. Johan was reluctant to be a prophet for God because his experience of God changing His mind after he has previously given a prophecy as requested by God. The outcome of a prophecy is always dependent on the response of the person who has been given that prophecy.

Discernment of the person's motives is also needed, and that can be gain through asking God for that insight. However, be careful of who responds as Satan is cunning in his deceptions.

Fluffy, as you are drawn deeper into your relationship with God, so He will reveal to you His blessings and encouragements so that your faith and belief, in Him, can grow stronger. How God brings to you those revelations is varied and often surprising and unexpected. All I can do is encourage you to keep pressing into God and His word, meditating on it, and learning from it as you grow in His wisdom which is just for you alone, for your own spiritual growth and needs.

Shalom

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The outcome of a prophecy is always dependent on the response of the person who has been given that prophecy.
This answers something I was praying about last night. My mom had so many good words over her and her husband for their marriage, but it was awful, then they split up, and she waited ten years for him before giving up, and then more years passed.

Then he died.

So I was having a hard time thinking why didnt that work out? (Even though he was a jerk and I had been praying the entire time they wouldn't be together.)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This answers something I was praying about last night. My mom had so many good words over her and her husband for their marriage, but it was awful, then they split up, and she waited ten years for him before giving up, and then more years passed.

Then he died.

So I was having a hard time thinking why didn't that work out? (Even though he was a jerk and I had been praying the entire time they wouldn't be together.)

Fluffy, where two or three are gathered together in agreement, miracles happen because of their faith in God. In prayer it is best if we are in agreement with God, because he is often/always the the second person in the group when we pray. If you notice when I pray for you that my prayers are focused on what God does and not on what I think you should do. What did God want for your father? Was it not that he would be drawn into God's loving arms and enter into a loving relationship with God? Is that not what God wants for all of mankind? The outcome of this prayer is that God will hear our hearts desire for that person to be saved, should they want to freely respond to God's love as He lovingly draws them to Himself.

We should not pray against God's will, but instead pray prayers that will lift the burden of this world from off of them, such that they receive their salvation by acknowledging that Jesus is the Son of God and take this pathway to a better life in God's Kingdom here on this earth.

We should not pray for a particular outcome to occur as the outcome for a person's life is God's to determine and not ours.

Isaiah 58 is well worth understanding as to how we should pray. Our prayers should be God focused such that our actions towards other people is a reflection of God's heart for those people. The chapter ends with an appeal for us to keep God's temple Holy as we worship Him as we live out our lives for His Glory. Notice that this is an outwards looking response the people around us and not a self focused prayer to suit our own desires for ourselves and our "worldly" understanding of what that means.

When we pray we are to hand over all of our "troubles and concerns" to Him to take care of, in faith and understanding, so that we can simply focus on just worshipping Him alone as we walk all over His Kingdom here on the earth to the places where we can be a blessing to those who we end up rubbing shoulders with on a daily basis.

Fluffy, may you, with God's input, renew your mind such that the refurbished personhood that God has always intended you to be, from the beginning of time, fits you like a glove, when you cloth yourself in it, such that God's Glory shine through you to light up His pathways for others to follow in their journey into a personal relationship with God also. We all have different giftings for this task, with no one gifting being better than another for the purpose that God has for our lives.

May you rest within God's peace knowing that you have been forgive for your past missteps as you fulfil your destiny in Him.

Shalom

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But I was wondering, doesnt a prophecy have to be confirmed by two or more people?

I my church its two or three witnesses that confirms it. So yes. I don't know the verse but 2 Corinthians 13:1 might be talking about this. Although I think understanding of that verse probably varies with the individual interpreting it.