How do you think Christians should interact with Mormons?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shared a room with a young Mormon gentleman while in military service, but as this was before I received the gospel, I never had any discussion about his faith. I call him a gentleman because he was one in manner, not given to drinking alcohol, smoking, or any common vices that scripture would describe as dissipation. His behavior to the extent that I was aware of it was morally righteous.

I also met a young Mormon missionary, a young lady, who rented a room in my nextdoor neighbor's house. This was after believing the Lord, but again, I had no real discussion with her about her faith though we spent about an hour together clearing snow from my neighbor's driveway. I can't imagine how she served as a missionary without speaking about her faith, but her behavior was reserved and respectful.

I don't know if I've interacted with any Mormons on this site, but I have encountered many Cultic notions contrary to sound and long established doctrine in the forums, all from people who identify as Christian.

In my experience with cultists, all interpret scripture to deny the deity of Christ. What little I've read about "the latter day saints" makes claims that the mormons have a different concept of deity which doesn't exclude the person of Christ, but does redefine deity in such a manner as to diminish the godhead in essence.

https://teamfishhooks.com/the-christian-litmus-test/

The above link is not an exhaustive study of popular cults, but does describe some fundamental theological differences between the major cults and "orthodox " Christianity.

I've met very moral Hindi, very moral Buddhists, very moral Chinese ancestor worshippers, but none of these knew Christ, nor could be considered Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

While scripture advises us not to be joined to unbelievers through marriage, there is nothing that forbids friendly relationships with people not of the faith, except in the instance of those preaching a false gospel and specifically in the context of welcoming them into your home and potentially sharing in their evil deeds. This follows directly from the law of Moses and the prohibition against the abomination that brings desolation to a house.

It is impossible to fulfill the great commission of spreading the gospel and "making disciples of men," without engaging unbelievers in conversations as "we go into all the world" and it's clear that we are to do good to all, but especially to the household of faith.
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:9-10
Interesting! I have found it difficult to grasp what Mormons truly believe about Jesus.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting! I have found it difficult to grasp what Mormons truly believe about Jesus.
Jesus Christ is the 100% divine Son of God. Always has been: was before making this Earth, after being born of Mary, and after His resurrection. He's the Savior of the world, Messiah, Lord, and Redeemer. He, alone with the Father and the Spirit are 3 persons in 1 God. Forever loving, merciful, just, powerful, knowing, etc

There is a difference in the *how* it is believed 3 are 1. LDS Christians believe through unity of will, goodness, glory, etc. Creedal Christians through a shared substance. This difference has implications on a deeper theological level, but not for day to day belief & practice.

Clarifying one myth: LDS Christians don't believe in some special relationship between Christ & Lucifer/Satan. LDS Christians do believe that God the Father is the spiritual Father of everyone, which technically makes everyone spiritual siblings. But you couldn't name two more extreme different people that Christ (the perfectly obedient Son of God) and Lucifer/Satan (whom totally rebelled).

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You need to study their "authoritative" writings.
1. Book of Mormon
2. Doctrine and Covenants
3. Pearl of Great Price
4. Teachings of the Presidents of the Church
5. 10 Reasons Why the Jesus of Mormonism is Not the Same as the Jesus of the Bible

"Fifteenth President Gordon B. Hinckley agreed with Brockbank:

In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints “do not believe in the traditional Christ.” “No, I don’t. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages” (“Crown of Gospel is Upon Our Heads, Church News, June 20, 1998, p. 7)...

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaims that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in the most literal sense. The body in which He performed His mission in the flesh was sired by that same Holy Being we worship as God, our Eternal Father. Jesus was not the son of Joseph, nor was He begotten by the Holy Ghost (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 7. See also the Church News, December 18, 2004, p. 16).

You can read the rest of this article here:
10 Reasons Why the Jesus of Mormonism is Not the Same as the Jesus of the Bible – Mormonism Research Ministry

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION: MORMONS HAVE "ANOTHER JESUS".

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to study their "authoritative" writings.
1. Book of Mormon
2. Doctrine and Covenants
3. Pearl of Great Price
4. Teachings of the Presidents of the Church
5. 10 Reasons Why the Jesus of Mormonism is Not the Same as the Jesus of the Bible

"Fifteenth President Gordon B. Hinckley agreed with Brockbank:

In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints “do not believe in the traditional Christ.” “No, I don’t. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages” (“Crown of Gospel is Upon Our Heads, Church News, June 20, 1998, p. 7)...

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaims that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in the most literal sense. The body in which He performed His mission in the flesh was sired by that same Holy Being we worship as God, our Eternal Father. Jesus was not the son of Joseph, nor was He begotten by the Holy Ghost (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 7. See also the Church News, December 18, 2004, p. 16).

You can read the rest of this article here:
10 Reasons Why the Jesus of Mormonism is Not the Same as the Jesus of the Bible – Mormonism Research Ministry

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION: MORMONS HAVE "ANOTHER JESUS".

If you want a very inaccurate slanted take, MRM is a great place for that.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Clarifying one myth: LDS Christians don't believe in some special relationship between Christ & Lucifer/Satan.
That is NOT a myth. That is exactly what Mormonism teaches. So either you do not know the teachings of your church, or you wish to mislead others.

“Our Father said, ‘Whom shall I send?’ (Abraham 3:27). Two of our brothers offered to help. Our oldest brother, Jesus Christ, who was then called Jehovah, said, ‘Here am I, send me’….Satan, who was called Lucifer, also came, saying, ‘Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor’ (Moses 4:1).” (Gospel Principles, 1997, pp.17-18).

“After hearing both sons speak, Heavenly Father said, ‘I will send the first.’ (Abraham 3:27).” (Gospel Principles [2009], 15).

“The appointment of Jesus to be the Savior of the world was contested by one of the other sons of God. He was called Lucifer, son of the morning. Haughty, ambitious, and covetous of power and glory, this spirit-brother of Jesus desperately tried to become the Savior of mankind.” (Seventy Milton R. Hunter, The Gospel Through the Ages, Melchizedek priesthood manual, 15).

The Relationship Between Jesus and Lucifer in a Mormon Context – Mormonism Research Ministry

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is NOT a myth. That is exactly what Mormonism teaches. So either you do not know the teachings of your church, or you wish to mislead others.

“Our Father said, ‘Whom shall I send?’ (Abraham 3:27). Two of our brothers offered to help. Our oldest brother, Jesus Christ, who was then called Jehovah, said, ‘Here am I, send me’….Satan, who was called Lucifer, also came, saying, ‘Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor’ (Moses 4:1).” (Gospel Principles, 1997, pp.17-18).

“After hearing both sons speak, Heavenly Father said, ‘I will send the first.’ (Abraham 3:27).” (Gospel Principles [2009], 15).

“The appointment of Jesus to be the Savior of the world was contested by one of the other sons of God. He was called Lucifer, son of the morning. Haughty, ambitious, and covetous of power and glory, this spirit-brother of Jesus desperately tried to become the Savior of mankind.” (Seventy Milton R. Hunter, The Gospel Through the Ages, Melchizedek priesthood manual, 15).

The Relationship Between Jesus and Lucifer in a Mormon Context – Mormonism Research Ministry
Of course you would say that. But that is not true since ACTUAL MORMON SOURCES are being quoted!

I literally stated that LDS Christians believe that God the Father is the spiritual father of everyone, making EVERYONE spiritual siblings. Nothing special about Christ and Luicifer. When anti’s highlight just two, omit everyone else, and ignore the extreme differences between them, such is grossly inaccurate. And it gets very irksome.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormons are a fairly large religious group in the United States, and most of them seem to be family-oriented and relatively conservative. As I understand, they follow both the Bible AND the Book of Mormon - written by Joseph Smith and largely rejected by most mainstream Christians as non-Biblical.

I understand there are obviously considerable divergences with our beliefs and teachings. Nevertheless, most Mormons are honestly very kind and welcoming individuals who are both charitable and enthusiastic. I honestly prefer their friendship and companionship over that of atheists and agnostics, of which a growing category of Americans increasingly fall into with every passing year.

For example, their Tabernacle Choir performed several years ago at West Point, their rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic is truly beautiful and soul-stirring:

And this cover of Fight Song from a Mormon family and their friends is also very moving:

So I'm kind of conflicted. Of course, they seem to be wonderful people on an individual basis. But I highly doubt that their revelation is genuinely legitimate or relevant to most practicing Christians and believers today.
There Choir is legendary, thats for sure!

Romans 12 says if it is possible, as much as lies within you, to live peacefully with all men. I see no reason to not follow that with every day interactions with anyone: Morman, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Atheists included. If the are descent human beings then treat them kindly. Don't back down when it comes to your faith... But that doesn't mean to treat them bad.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep, that’s what I said, from memory- the LDS Jesus is Satan’s brother, both presented plans of salvation, and when Jesus’ plan was chosen, Satan rebelled.

Be aware, many Mormons have no clue about some of the more bizarre doctrines from LDS prophets, or even from Joe Smith himself in Docrines and Covenants and Pearl of great price.

A co worker told his LDS girlfriend about the LDS doctrines and beliefs found on anti cult websites and the like, and she said those were lies. He took her to a library and showed her from LDS books that the info about them is true - she’s now ex LDS.

Did you know joe smith, by his own words, made polygamy an essential practice for Mormons?

And we certainly know he was a polygamist.

All those fundamentalist Mormons still practicing polygamy are actually the real Mormons according to the founder. But most Mormons decided that there was new light given on polygamy when they were going to be run out of various states for it, and stopped the practice- at least officially.

Reactions: Enoch111

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, that’s what I said, from memory- the LDS Jesus is Satan’s brother, both presented plans of salvation, and when Jesus’ plan was chosen, Satan rebelled.

Be aware, many Mormons have no clue about some of the more bizarre doctrines from LDS prophets, or even from Joe Smith himself in Docrines and Covenants and Pearl of great price.

A co worker told his LDS girlfriend about the LDS doctrines and beliefs found on anti cult websites and the like, and she said those were lies. He took her to a library and showed her from LDS books that the info about them is true - she’s now ex LDS.

Did you know joe smith, by his own words, made polygamy an essential practice for Mormons?

And we certainly know he was a polygamist.

All those fundamentalist Mormons still practicing polygamy are actually the real Mormons according to the founder. But most Mormons decided that there was new light given on polygamy when they were going to be run out of various states for it, and stopped the practice- at least officially.
Do you care about accuracy here?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Extremely.
Which is why I have clarified things several times, to be ignored and have the same bad information just reposted again.
I personally believe that the Bible is the Word of God - only. If this is true then the grace and faith that you received as a gift, has come solely from His Word. By reading any other additional books, whether they are claimed to be from God or fictional, may conflict with the Bible as some have pointed out, but would not effect the work of the Holy Spirit and Word of God, which is sharper than a two-edged sword, penetrates and transforms the individual. Prayer to our Father in Jesus name pushes through any false beliefs. Heck, half of Christianity believe in this Theistic Evolution, where God started things out and evolution took over from there. And this is a false belief, contrary to what Genesis says, but schools have been indoctrinating children with this junk. I think they are mostly Catholics who believe this - not sure. Others believe that there are beings from other planets that have visited us. The Word cuts through all that junk. So frankly, I think your only saving grace comes from the truths in the Bible and your relationship with Jesus. You could drop the other books, since they add nothing to the New Testament. They really don't offer anything more than what Jesus offers in the Bible.
That said, I have a few questions for you.
1. If God intended His truth to be written down, then would you believe that He would choose scriptures that harmonize, like those 66 books of the Bible, or do you think that He would add to those scriptures other books that would not harmonize with it?
2. Since you believe that there are many Christians outside the Mormon Church and may I add at this time possibly 2.65 billion, including all Catholics, Protestants, Non-Denomination, Oneness, Non-Trinitarian, etc., and they primarily received the gospel from the Bible and saving grace from Jesus, wouldn't this be enough reason and prove in the pudding to put those other books aside?
I can imagine the loving family relationships that you may have and the idea of leaving your church would somehow effect the closeness of your relationships, and since you are saved and you see fruit, that would be enough reason to stay.
In fact, God converts the soul. He is sovereign. He has a plan to grow His Church, the Body of Christ, consisting of all believers. Some churches grow and others remain stagnant for various reasons. When we look at the Seven Letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation, we see that two were faithful and others needed to repent from sin or false doctrines. So obviously when you get a good Spirit filled Pastor, and a spirit filled church, you see growth. If you get a dull Pastor, people aren't moved and growth is lacking. So l look at growth in Christian churches. That is a sign that God is working there. I've have been in dead churches that seemed to have the same fifty people they had twenty years ago.
So let's look at the numbers. In 1900, there were 500 million Christians. Now there are 2.65 billion. That's growth. Jehovah Witnesses have only about 8.5 million after over hundred years. LDS has about twice that in 150 years.
Last question.
3. If LDS was the true church, why wouldn't God grow it in massive numbers?

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DIRECT QUOTES from actual Mormon sources are about as accurate as you can get. So now it is up to you to either stay in that cult or leave it altogether.
Again: I have repeatedly explained how these sites are giving bad information through source manipulation. Trying to tell me to leave a cult is very silly when I see "anti-cult" sources repeat the same misrepresented points over and over again verbatim. I value honesty and critical thinking skills, and frankly find that "anti-cult" stuff doesn't.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe that the Bible is the Word of God - only. If this is true then the grace and faith that you received as a gift, has come solely from His Word. By reading any other additional books, whether they are claimed to be from God or fictional, may conflict with the Bible as some have pointed out, but would not effect the work of the Holy Spirit and Word of God, which is sharper than a two-edged sword, penetrates and transforms the individual. Prayer to our Father in Jesus name pushes through any false beliefs. Heck, half of Christianity believe in this Theistic Evolution, where God started things out and evolution took over from there. And this is a false belief, contrary to what Genesis says, but schools have been indoctrinating children with this junk. I think they are mostly Catholics who believe this - not sure. Others believe that there are beings from other planets that have visited us. The Word cuts through all that junk. So frankly, I think your only saving grace comes from the truths in the Bible and your relationship with Jesus. You could drop the other books, since they add nothing to the New Testament. They really don't offer anything more than what Jesus offers in the Bible.
A well reason and respectful post. Thank you.
1. If God intended His truth to be written down, then would you believe that He would choose scriptures that harmonize, like those 66 books of the Bible, or do you think that He would add to those scriptures other books that would not harmonize with it?
Harmonization of scripture (whether just the 66 Protestant Bible or expanded LDS Christian cannon) is something that takes patience and learning. We've all see those "Look how the Bible contradicts itself!" websites put together by those who've not taken the time/effort to understand scriptural meaning & harmonization. Personally, after much study I do indeed find that the Bible & extended LDS Christian cannon harmonize quite well.
2. Since you believe that there are many Christians outside the Mormon Church and may I add at this time possibly 2.65 billion, including all Catholics, Protestants, Non-Denomination, Oneness, Non-Trinitarian, etc., and they primarily received the gospel from the Bible and saving grace from Jesus, wouldn't this be enough reason and prove in the pudding to put those other books aside?
Proof of the Truthfulness of God's message first & foremost comes through testimony of the Holy Spirit. Books are vessel to carry the Gospel message.
For me, I go first & foremost to God for validation of Truthfulness. Frankly, I don't care what 2.65 billion people think, they are not my Lord.
I can imagine the loving family relationships that you may have and the idea of leaving your church would somehow effect the closeness of your relationships, and since you are saved and you see fruit, that would be enough reason to stay.
I did leave for years. What people think isn't going to dictate my actions. And frankly, at the time (and after) other LDS Christians' actions were a motivator to stay away because like all other people: LDS Christians are still sinners and can be royal jerks & screw ups.
In fact, God converts the soul. He is sovereign.
Amen to that! (I am responding as I'm reading without looking ahead in your post).
He has a plan to grow His Church, the Body of Christ, consisting of all believers. Some churches grow and others remain stagnant for various reasons. When we look at the Seven Letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation, we see that two were faithful and others needed to repent from sin or false doctrines. So obviously when you get a good Spirit filled Pastor, and a spirit filled church, you see growth. If you get a dull Pastor, people aren't moved and growth is lacking. So l look at growth in Christian churches. That is a sign that God is working there. I've have been in dead churches that seemed to have the same fifty people they had twenty years ago.

So let's look at the numbers. In 1900, there were 500 million Christians. Now there are 2.65 billion. That's growth. Jehovah Witnesses have only about 8.5 million after over hundred years. LDS has about twice that in 150 years.
Last question.
3. If LDS was the true church, why wouldn't God grow it in massive numbers?
I acknowledge you views here and thank you for sharing them with me. I do disagree though: popularity does not determine Truthfulness. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is growing internationally. In the increasingly secular USA it's roughly the same, as mainstream Christian churches are declining. That doesn't mean any of those churches are/aren't true, it means that people are hard-hearted.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I met 2 young Mormon men who came to talk with me soon after I received the Holy Spirit. I asked them if they ever got these like…goosebumps and waves washing over them from the Holy Spirit. The one young man just looked blank but the other one held out his arm to show me and said, yes, I have them now. We call this, a swelling in the bosom.

Then I asked him if He thought God was trying to say something by them, or if maybe He was pouring out the oil of gladness on us?

We talked a long time about Jesus, the Holy Spirit. The other young man didn’t say anything as I recall. I shared some things I learned from scripture about not needing any man to teach us but that the Spirit would teach us. We talked for so long that I ordered us a pizza. I recall the young man said something at some point I didn’t agree with and I showed him from scripture why I did not think it was accurate. I don’t remember what it was he had said I didn’t agree with though. He began asking me a lot of questions about what I thought on certain verses and it was like he was on fire with love for God.

After quite some time, the young man asked if he could return and talk some more. I said I could meet to talk two evenings from then.

on that evening, the quiet young man returned but with an older man, not the one I had enjoyed speaking with. He was bossy and dour and even upon entering the house, it seemed he was angry at me.
I suddenly knew that the other young man had got in trouble. I don’t know how I knew that, I just knew it. I said I would like them to please leave after they’d been there for maybe 15 minutes. I told the old man he was very rude and I had no questions he could answer for me. They left and I prayed for the young man who had the Holy Spirit that he would get him away from the nasty man.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I met 2 young Mormon men who came to talk with me soon after I received the Holy Spirit. I asked them if they ever got these like…goosebumps and waves washing over them from the Holy Spirit. The one young man just looked blank but the other one held out his arm to show me and said, yes, I have them now. We call this, a swelling in the bosom.

Then I asked him if He thought God was trying to say something by them, or if maybe He was pouring out the oil of gladness on us?

We talked a long time about Jesus, the Holy Spirit. The other young man didn’t say anything as I recall. I shared some things I learned from scripture about not needing any man to teach us but that the Spirit would teach us. We talked for so long that I ordered us a pizza. I recall the young man said something at some point I didn’t agree with and I showed him from scripture why I did not think it was accurate. I don’t remember what it was he had said I didn’t agree with though. He began asking me a lot of questions about what I thought on certain verses and it was like he was on fire with love for God.

After quite some time, the young man asked if he could return and talk some more. I said I could meet to talk two evenings from then.

on that evening, the quiet young man returned but with an older man, not the one I had enjoyed speaking with. He was bossy and dour and even upon entering the house, it seemed he was angry at me.
I suddenly knew that the other young man had got in trouble. I don’t know how I knew that, I just knew it. I said I would like them to please leave after they’d been there for maybe 15 minutes. I told the old man he was very rude and I had no questions he could answer for me. They left and I prayed for the young man.
I bet you were the highlight of their day(s)!!!

FWIW: the older man coming wasn't because the young guy was in trouble. Young missionaries regularly get moved around, so they do try to introduce people whom are part of the local congregation, hence the other visitor. I'm sorry the dude was such a grouch! (This is all standard way of doing things)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bet you were the highlight of their day(s)!!!

FWIW: the older man coming wasn't because the young guy was in trouble. Young missionaries regularly get moved around, so they do try to introduce people whom are part of the local congregation, hence the other visitor. I'm sorry the dude was such a grouch! (This is all standard way of doing things)

No, he got into trouble. I knew it. I don’t know how I knew it, but I knew it.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've heard this before though I didn't know the sources. If these are accepted doctrines, then the religion of the LDS is obviously distorted and false, but it's unfair to categorize individuals by religion, as personal belief doesn't necessarily conform to religious dogma.
I've known Roman Catholics that professed to being born again of the Holy Spirit and seemed to be growing in Christ. I asked one if this were the case, why then did he stay in that church if he no longer believed the dogma. His response was biblical in that he sought to honor the tradition of "the fathers" (something which God honors.) I didn't see things that way, but I can only speak to my experience.
The coworker who lead me to Christ was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and abandoned that religion in his search for truth, but the Lord is able to save anyone through the gospel.
I would hope that Christ would lead His own out of false religions, but we can't say if He chooses to use some born again believers to evangelize within the cults. I think that's awesome since most nations in the western world no longer permit things like the execution of "heretics. "

Thank you for providing some verifiable resources to assist our understanding. I'm confident that His Spirit can and will give His children discernment between the truth and falsehoods as they grow in the knowledge of the Lord through fellowship in the word. However, from the evidence of discussions on this site, that growth in spiritual discernment is an extremely slow process for those caught up in the cults. (I no longer have the patience to confront the carnal minded over the most basic doctrines of the faith.)

Reactions: amadeus