How do you think Christians should interact with Mormons?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormons are a fairly large religious group in the United States, and most of them seem to be family-oriented and relatively conservative. As I understand, they follow both the Bible AND the Book of Mormon - written by Joseph Smith and largely rejected by most mainstream Christians as non-Biblical.

I understand there are obviously considerable divergences with our beliefs and teachings. Nevertheless, most Mormons are honestly very kind and welcoming individuals who are both charitable and enthusiastic. I honestly prefer their friendship and companionship over that of atheists and agnostics, of which a growing category of Americans increasingly fall into with every passing year.

For example, their Tabernacle Choir performed several years ago at West Point, their rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic is truly beautiful and soul-stirring:

And this cover of Fight Song from a Mormon family and their friends is also very moving:

So I'm kind of conflicted. Of course, they seem to be wonderful people on an individual basis. But I highly doubt that their revelation is genuinely legitimate or relevant to most practicing Christians and believers today.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shared a room with a young Mormon gentleman while in military service, but as this was before I received the gospel, I never had any discussion about his faith. I call him a gentleman because he was one in manner, not given to drinking alcohol, smoking, or any common vices that scripture would describe as dissipation. His behavior to the extent that I was aware of it was morally righteous.

I also met a young Mormon missionary, a young lady, who rented a room in my nextdoor neighbor's house. This was after believing the Lord, but again, I had no real discussion with her about her faith though we spent about an hour together clearing snow from my neighbor's driveway. I can't imagine how she served as a missionary without speaking about her faith, but her behavior was reserved and respectful.

I don't know if I've interacted with any Mormons on this site, but I have encountered many Cultic notions contrary to sound and long established doctrine in the forums, all from people who identify as Christian.

In my experience with cultists, all interpret scripture to deny the deity of Christ. What little I've read about "the latter day saints" makes claims that the mormons have a different concept of deity which doesn't exclude the person of Christ, but does redefine deity in such a manner as to diminish the godhead in essence.

https://teamfishhooks.com/the-christian-litmus-test/

The above link is not an exhaustive study of popular cults, but does describe some fundamental theological differences between the major cults and "orthodox " Christianity.

I've met very moral Hindi, very moral Buddhists, very moral Chinese ancestor worshippers, but none of these knew Christ, nor could be considered Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

While scripture advises us not to be joined to unbelievers through marriage, there is nothing that forbids friendly relationships with people not of the faith, except in the instance of those preaching a false gospel and specifically in the context of welcoming them into your home and potentially sharing in their evil deeds. This follows directly from the law of Moses and the prohibition against the abomination that brings desolation to a house.

It is impossible to fulfill the great commission of spreading the gospel and "making disciples of men," without engaging unbelievers in conversations as "we go into all the world" and it's clear that we are to do good to all, but especially to the household of faith.
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:9-10

Reactions: Brakelite

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormons are a fairly large religious group in the United States, and most of them seem to be family-oriented and relatively conservative. As I understand, they follow both the Bible AND the Book of Mormon - written by Joseph Smith and largely rejected by most mainstream Christians as non-Biblical.

I understand there are obviously considerable divergences with our beliefs and teachings. Nevertheless, most Mormons are honestly very kind and welcoming individuals who are both charitable and enthusiastic. I honestly prefer their friendship and companionship over that of atheists and agnostics, of which a growing category of Americans increasingly fall into with every passing year.

For example, their Tabernacle Choir performed several years ago at West Point, their rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic is truly beautiful and soul-stirring:

And this cover of Fight Song from a Mormon family and their friends is also very moving:

So I'm kind of conflicted. Of course, they seem to be wonderful people on an individual basis. But I highly doubt that their revelation is genuinely legitimate or relevant to most practicing Christians and believers today.

My own experience with Mormons I have known on and off forums and with whom I have worked over the years has been very good with only one exception. I truly wish that my experience with people bearing the label of Christian who are not Mormon was as good.

"Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matt 7:17-21
@Jane_Doe22

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Their revelation is self-evidently false and I take it less seriously than even Islam, but they should like all be treated with love and respect. Their friendship and companionship is obviously better than an atheists, and the Tabernacle Choir is amazing as always. I've also mainly only had good experiences with them and they have many admirable virtues that all should imitate. I say treat them like we are commanded to by Jesus to treat all: love them as God does, pray and fast for them, serve them. None of this is incompatible with seeing their errors though.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As a "Mormon", I thank you for your loving and thought out post. Such is a uncommon gem.

I you got any questions for, feel free to ask here or via PM. Note: I'm OCD honest, and I hate proselytizing (giving or receiving) so zero of that from me.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shared a room with a young Mormon gentleman while in military service, but as this was before I received the gospel, I never had any discussion about his faith. I call him a gentleman because he was one in manner, not given to drinking alcohol, smoking, or any common vices that scripture would describe as dissipation. His behavior to the extent that I was aware of it was morally righteous.

I also met a young Mormon missionary, a young lady, who rented a room in my nextdoor neighbor's house. This was after believing the Lord, but again, I had no real discussion with her about her faith though we spent about an hour together clearing snow from my neighbor's driveway. I can't imagine how she served as a missionary without speaking about her faith, but her behavior was reserved and respectful

Also thank you for your thoughtful kindness.

In my experience with cultists, all interpret scripture to deny the deity of Christ. What little I've read about "the latter day saints" makes claims that the mormons have a different concept of deity which doesn't exclude the person of Christ, but does redefine deity in such a manner as to diminish the godhead in essence.

https://teamfishhooks.com/the-christian-litmus-test/

The above link is not an exhaustive study of popular cults, but does describe some fundamental theological differences between the major cults and "orthodox " Christianity.
Jesus Christ is my Lord & Savior. 100%. He, and He alone, is the Redeemer of the world. He is the very Son of God, one with the Father. 100% divine. Everlasting to everlasting.

I don’t ratify the Creeds (I find they go beyond scripture in certain areas), but I 100% ratify Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

And yes: of course I acknowledge your discipleship of Christ as standing as a Christian. Obviously we disagree on some theological points, but that doesn’t remotely change the previous sentence. You and your faith deserve to be respected.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus Christ is my Lord & Savior. 100%. He, and He alone, is the Redeemer of the world. He is the very Son of God, one with the Father. 100% divine. Everlasting to everlasting.

I don’t ratify the Creeds (I find they go beyond scripture in certain areas), but I 100% ratify Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

And yes: of course I acknowledge your discipleship of Christ as standing as a Christian. Obviously we disagree on some theological points, but that doesn’t remotely change the previous sentence. You and your faith deserve to be respected.
Give God the glory!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't recommend going head to head with Mormons, but should someone
decide to do so I suggest going straight for the jugular by targeting their
priesthoods; most especially the order of Melchizedek.

The Bible's order of Melchizedek is a high-priest priesthood. As such it is a
solo position, i.e. only one man at a time may occupy it. Quite a few of
Mormonism's mature men are Melchizedek priests; all at the same time.

In addition, the Bible's Melchizedek priests have to be immortal; whereas
Mormonism's Melchizedek priests die all the time just like everybody else.

A lesser priesthood in Mormonism is the order of Aaaron. Well; the Bible's
Aaronic order is also a high-priest priesthood; and as such it too is a solo
position, i.e. only one man at a time may occupy it. Quite a few of
Mormonism's young men are Aaronic priests.

The Bible's Aaronic priests don't have to be immortal. However, the position
isn't open to just anybody who wants in. Men who would be true Aaronic
priests absolutely have to be Aaron's biological descendants. That prerequisite
cannot be waived.

In my judicious estimation (this is just my own personal opinion; I'm not
speaking ex cathedra) Mormonism's priests are identity thieves.
_

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

cannot be waived.

_

And the Levitical and Aaronic priesthood’s are no more, they were strictly old covenant, and Hebrews says Jesus did away with all mortal priests, being our one high priest who lives forever, plus as you pointed out, there’s only one in the Melchizedek priesthood, and Jesus is the one.

Thus in reality they have no legitimate priesthood.

Then there’s the fact that there is no marriage in heaven, thus their celestial marriage is also untrue.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

cannot be waived.

_
I believe in the priesthood of the saints as described in 1 Peter 2:9 and applying to the generation of the righteous, those born again of the Spirit of Christ. However, I don't believe in any priesthood to the saints beyond that of our Head, Jesus the Christ Himself. Consequently I reject any and all formalized priesthood that make themselves mediators between man and God. The concept is entirely opposed to the teaching of the New Testament.

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is my understanding from scripture that we are not saved by religion, but by believing Jesus Christ and recieving His Spirit. Unlike the church I was raised in, I don't believe that the church is essential to salvation, but exists as God's ambassadors to the world and as His intercessors through prayer.
The implication is that anyone, anywhere, may believe and receive the Lord unto salvation. The caveat is that it isn't possible for anyone to disciple themselves. However, the Lord is entirely capable of guiding His adopted children to a congregation where they can be discipled and can learn how to use the spiritual gifts God gives them in salvation to the edification and building of the body of Christ. This was indeed my own experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another issue associated with the Bible's version of the Melchizedek
priesthood is venue.

Although Jesus is a valid Melchizedek priest, he would not be an active-duty
priest were he on earth because the earth is Aaron's jurisdiction. In other
words: Jesus is closely associated with a temple in Heaven whereas Aaron is
closely associated with a temple in Jerusalem. The opposite is just as true,
viz: were Aaron in Heaven, he would not be an active-duty priest.

This is very important because the Bible says Jesus is currently the one
mediator between God and Man, but that would be merely academic if he
was still on earth; ergo: it was essential for humanity's sake that Jesus be
taken up to Heaven instead of left down here.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Mormonism's Melchizedek
priesthood is valid. Well; its priests on earth would be quite useless as
mediators between God and Man because they are down here instead of up
there.
_

Reactions: michaelvpardo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How should a believer relate to another believer? .....How should a believer relate to a tax collector?
How did Jesus relate to lepers? and the whole bunch of us wayward ragamuffins?
I remember for many years always welcoming the young Mormon missionaries who would come to my door. I did not challenge them but simply discussed with them what they believe and what I believed. They usually came back... some times several times. Over the years in some places they were young men and in the last place they were young women. They were usually zealous, honest and willing to listen as well as wanting to talk.

Unfortunately, when we moved to our present apartment complex 8 years ago they could no longer come knocking at my door, as no arbitrary solicitations allowed here.

The JWs used to visit as well and while I would welcome them they were always older and seldom so willing to listen. Of course they want to talk. Since I was not be converted immediately they almost never came back.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mormons are generally speaking wonderful people if they are practicing. However they are lost and we should not be unequally yoked with them. Love them, yes interact in the world? Sure! but we should not fellowship with them.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in the priesthood of the saints as described in 1 Peter 2:9 and applying to the generation of the righteous, those born again of the Spirit of Christ. However, I don't believe in any priesthood to the saints beyond that of our Head, Jesus the Christ Himself. Consequently I reject any and all formalized priesthood that make themselves mediators between man and God. The concept is entirely opposed to the teaching of the New Testament.

"Priesthood" is a term understand very differently by different folks across Christiandom. The LDS Christian view is very different than Catholics' for example.

First & foremost: every individual believer needs to have their own independent relationship with God. If you want to know that He is there, get on your knees and ask Him directly. If need to ask Him about something, then get on your knees and ask Him directly. He is your Father: talk to Him! No one should ever stop that personal relationship/communication, nor can you ever tell someone else to do it for you.

An LDS Christian priest is NOT a separate class of person whose day job is to work at the church all day long. Rather LDS priests live normal lives -- normal day job (painter, cashier, veterinarian, etc) with normal families at home. The aren't uncommon either: every LDS Christian man is ordained as a priest. And as part of normal life, that means standing as a shepherd for Christ's sheep -- help those in need, learn of Him, comfort those in need of comfort, stand for Truth & righteousness, etc.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before selling one's soul to the Mormon Church, I strongly suggest
researching it first to make sure you know beforehand what you're getting
yourself into.

One of the better print sources of information about Mormonism is located in
a section of "The Kingdom Of The Cults" by Walter Martin. I think it's still
available, either by special order from a bookstore or online from
amazon.com.

Youtube.com is good too.

NOTE: Walter Martin's book is a bit pricey but you get quite a bit of bang for
the buck as his book discusses other religions besides Mormonism, e.g.
Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Buddhism, Christian Science, Baha'i, Unification,
Scientology, Theosophy, et al.
_

Last edited:
Reactions: Curtis

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before selling one's soul to the Mormon Church, I strongly suggest
researching it first to make sure you know beforehand what you're getting
yourself into.

One of the better print sources of information about Mormonism is located in
a section of "The Kingdom Of The Cults" by Walter Martin. I think it's still
available, either by special order from a bookstore or online from
amazon.com.

Youtube.com is good too.
_
Ummm.... no.

There is SO much wrong with your approach here @Webers_Home . I would pray that rather than talking about people, you instead learn talk with them, as Christ did. Whomever that person may be.

Reactions: amadeus

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My problem with Mormonism is that their God is an exalted man of flesh and bones who died and was exalted to godhood of this planet, who is one of many gods with their own planets, who sit together in a council of Gods, and their God procreated Jesus through sexual intercourse.

Their trinity is three separate Gods, not one god manifest as three persons, and the Mormon Jesus is Satan’s brother. Jesus and Lucifer both presented plans for man’s salvation, and Satan rebelled when Jesus’ plan was chosen.

The Bible says God must be worshipped in spirit and in TRUTH.

And also the Salt Lake City mormon temple is covered with occult symbols: sunstones, moonstones, pentagrams, etc.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg, sadly.