How do you think Christians should interact with Mormons?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I shared a room with a young Mormon gentleman while in military service, but as this was before I received the gospel, I never had any discussion about his faith. I call him a gentleman because he was one in manner, not given to drinking alcohol, smoking, or any common vices that scripture would describe as dissipation. His behavior to the extent that I was aware of it was morally righteous.

I also met a young Mormon missionary, a young lady, who rented a room in my nextdoor neighbor's house. This was after believing the Lord, but again, I had no real discussion with her about her faith though we spent about an hour together clearing snow from my neighbor's driveway. I can't imagine how she served as a missionary without speaking about her faith, but her behavior was reserved and respectful.

I don't know if I've interacted with any Mormons on this site, but I have encountered many Cultic notions contrary to sound and long established doctrine in the forums, all from people who identify as Christian.

In my experience with cultists, all interpret scripture to deny the deity of Christ. What little I've read about "the latter day saints" makes claims that the mormons have a different concept of deity which doesn't exclude the person of Christ, but does redefine deity in such a manner as to diminish the godhead in essence.

https://teamfishhooks.com/the-christian-litmus-test/

The above link is not an exhaustive study of popular cults, but does describe some fundamental theological differences between the major cults and "orthodox " Christianity.

I've met very moral Hindi, very moral Buddhists, very moral Chinese ancestor worshippers, but none of these knew Christ, nor could be considered Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

While scripture advises us not to be joined to unbelievers through marriage, there is nothing that forbids friendly relationships with people not of the faith, except in the instance of those preaching a false gospel and specifically in the context of welcoming them into your home and potentially sharing in their evil deeds. This follows directly from the law of Moses and the prohibition against the abomination that brings desolation to a house.

It is impossible to fulfill the great commission of spreading the gospel and "making disciples of men," without engaging unbelievers in conversations as "we go into all the world" and it's clear that we are to do good to all, but especially to the household of faith.
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:9-10
I agree with your view in general, but do differ not only with my own church's official teaching on the Trinity, but with the Creeds themselves. While I fully accept the whole divinity and deity of Jesus, the Son of God, I do not accept the common belief that it is necessary to believe in the Trinity in order to validate the divinity of Christ.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree with your view in general, but do differ not only with my own church's official teaching on the Trinity, but with the Creeds themselves. While I fully accept the whole divinity and deity of Jesus, the Son of God, I do not accept the common belief that it is necessary to believe in the Trinity in order to validate the divinity of Christ.
Hence my belief that judging another by the creeds as proposed by the link you shared, is limiting the salvation of man and God's grace to a man made formula not entirely justified in scripture.
In other words, like the PCR test is a faulty litmus test.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does your heavenly father have a father?
Don't know, nor does it remotely matter.
And what does this mean?
"Spirit children are born of resurrected, exalted parents. They are born in the same manner that mortal children are born. However, when a celestial parent has a child, it is composed of spiritual material, not physical material."

How are spirit children born?

“I believe that the declaration made in these two scriptures is literally true … [God] created man, as we create our children; for there is no other process of creation in heaven, on the earth, in the earth, or under the earth, or in all the eternities, that is, that were, or that ever will be.”
(Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 11:122, June 18, 1865
Again: that does not equate to sex. Sex is one method in which a person can become a physical sperm doner. That's different than being an earthly father. Let alone a spiritual Father. These quotes emphasize the relationship between individuals, not mechanics. And that relationship between a person and their Father in Heaven is HUGELY important.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know, nor does it remotely matter.

Oh, yes it does. God alone is God, and Jesus alone is His Son. there are no other gods anywhere, heavenly moms, there is only one God.

Again: that does not equate to sex. Sex is one method in which a person can become a physical sperm doner. That's different than being an earthly father. Let alone a spiritual Father. These quotes emphasize the relationship between individuals, not mechanics. And that relationship between a person and their Father in Heaven is HUGELY important.

Does your heavenly mother carry children within her?

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, yes it does. God alone is God, and Jesus alone is His Son.

Does your heavenly mother carry children within her?
You’re thinking of creation of physical bodies. So that question doesn’t make sense for a spiritual mother.

Do you know the mechanics of how God created the spirit of my newborn son? I do not. And honestly I’m ok with not understanding the mechanics behind every wonder of God.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just cannot fathom where in the world a heavenly mother came from. What is her purpose? Why would God need a mother to help him make spirit babies?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just cannot fathom where in the world a heavenly mother came from. What is her purpose? Why would God need a mother to help him make spirit babies?
Do you know the mechanics of how God created the spirit of my newborn son?