How God teaches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

R

Rita

Excellent post. I am so glad you are here giving your thoughts.
Thank you for the encouraging words Marksman - I really appreciate that as I feel a bit lost within the forum most of the time. So many threads drive me nuts at the moment. We all have different testimonies and mine reflects that the Lord takes time, even when we are open. I trust in his perfect timing for dealing with things in my life. My part is to be open to work with him, for quite a while I kicked against it but simply didn’t realise what he was endeavouring to do. I am definitely like the blind man that saw the trees rather than people !! Rita

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thats the problem with the learned cant help anyone.

that is a sweeping claim that is totally ridiculous. So you are saying that Spurgeon can't help anyone? Are you saying that Hayford can't help anyone? Are you saying that Luther can't help anyone? Are you saying that Finney can't help anyone? Are you saying that Rushdoony can't help anyone? Are you saying that Perry Stone can't help anyone? Are you saying that Arthur Wallis can't help anyone? Are you saying that Schaller can't help anyone?
Are you saying Lance Lambert can't help anyone? Are you saying that Derek Prince can't help anyone? Are you saying that Charles Colson can't help anyone? Are you saying Charles Swindoll can't help anyone? Are you saying that David Wilkerson can't help anyone? Are you saying that John MacArthur can't help anyone? Are you saying that Nancy Pearcey can't help anyone? I could add another 50 names but that will do for now.

I hope not as you will led down a blind alley thinking that all you need is you and whatever interpretation you put on the bible. People who think that usually live on proof-texts which distorts the truth.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for the encouraging words Marksman - I really appreciate that as I feel a bit lost within the forum most of the time. So many threads drive me nuts at the moment. We all have different testimonies and mine reflects that the Lord takes time, even when we are open. I trust in his perfect timing for dealing with things in my life. My part is to be open to work with him, for quite a while I kicked against it but simply didn’t realise what he was endeavouring to do. I am definitely like the blind man that saw the trees rather than people !! Rita
So many threads drive me nuts at the moment. My sentiments entirely.

Reactions: Rita

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not blaming any one, we all have a choice, the world has being made blind, probably a good thing for some, but some just refuse to see, all one can do is show them what God has to offer, Christ Now, God now, if they dont want Him that is between them and God, religion doesnt help neither does all this studying to make ones self approved. But there are those who do know who do hear who do see, who sit and wonder if they are the only ones, never writing just reading, they need to hear they are not alone, and they are not crazy.
I have loads of books, but I look upon them as testimonies to what the Lord has said and done through others who have equally been open to learning. I have some friends who say they only read the bible, but I would rather hear what the Lord is doing in other people’s lives in the here and now as well.
As long as I am growing in Christ, as long as I a can look back and see spiritual growth and more evidence of the fruits of the Holy Spirit, then I see learning.
Different people learn in different ways , Marksman says he has an analytical mind, well I have a reflective one. God will work with us as individuals. We have personal relationships with the Lord, so I figure he knows that it’s not a case of ‘ one glove fits all ‘ and I am grateful for that.

You know you can empty things at different speeds and in different ways........

Rita

On the subject of books, if I had not read books about what is going on in Islam, I would not know that thousands are being converted to Christ because he appears to them in a vision or a dream.

In the midst of all the terror and carnage that they are responsible for it is good to see that God has the last word.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Timothy 2:15 Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

That must mean if you don't study you're not approved by God and you need to be ashamed and you are not rightly dividing the Word of Truth.
When one comes to Christ one is approved because of what HE did, what do you think you can do that could possibly outdo Him.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that is a sweeping claim that is totally ridiculous. So you are saying that Spurgeon can't help anyone? Are you saying that Hayford can't help anyone? Are you saying that Luther can't help anyone? Are you saying that Finney can't help anyone? Are you saying that Rushdoony can't help anyone? Are you saying that Perry Stone can't help anyone? Are you saying that Arthur Wallis can't help anyone? Are you saying that Schaller can't help anyone?
Are you saying Lance Lambert can't help anyone? Are you saying that Derek Prince can't help anyone? Are you saying that Charles Colson can't help anyone? Are you saying Charles Swindoll can't help anyone? Are you saying that David Wilkerson can't help anyone? Are you saying that John MacArthur can't help anyone? Are you saying that Nancy Pearcey can't help anyone? I could add another 50 names but that will do for now.

I hope not as you will led down a blind alley thinking that all you need is you and whatever interpretation you put on the bible. People who think that usually live on proof-texts which distorts the truth.
Interpreation?? we are supposed to go to Christ for the truth, you know that bit,

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Teh reason why these forums exist, because people think because they read the bible they no it all but,

1Co_1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1Co_3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes many study all there lives and never find Christ, He is a stumbling block to many. If knowing Christ is ignorance I hate to think what mens wisdom is.

And many are called by God to study all of their lives and they benefit us as they pass on the riches they find in Christ as a result of that study.

When I think of a man like Derek Prince, who was a man of great spiritual stature and a man of lifelong learning, I think of how much God has used all that to write books about all sorts of subjects which are being distributed worldwide to Christians who are crying out for knowledge of the truth like in China. As a result, millions are more literate spiritually as a result. The Chinese love him and cannot get enough of his writing.

R

Rita

MJH - I do agree that anyone can lead someone down a wrong path, that’s if you read and don’t discern what you are reading. If you just blindly follow someone else's thought process without questioning. I must admit when I first came to faith that is exactly what I tended to do. Without even realising it I started to evaluate things for myself, but that doesn’t mean that those early years were Irrelevant as God used that group of people and circumstances to bring me to faith.
So, I do agree that their needs to be openness to make the effort to not just ‘ follow ‘ because it’s easier and doesn’t require any effort on our part - isn’t that what ‘ religion ‘ does.
Surrender demands effort, so I do agree about the willingness, but I still hold with the fact that it doesn’t just all fit into place when that willingness is there, it is a starting point of learning from the Lord. It certainly doesn’t mean that others cannot be used to reveal a truth to us or lead us into a deeper relationship with the Lord.
Rita

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interpreation?? we are supposed to go to Christ for the truth, you know that bit,

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Teh reason why these forums exist, because people think because they read the bible they no it all but,

1Co_1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1Co_3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

So your non-answer means that all these giants of the faith are a waste of space and not worth the paper their books are printed on. I guess it is a case of you in your small corner and I in my big corner.

Surprising how many mistakes some people thing God makes.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
On the subject of books, if I had not read books about what is going on in Islam, I would not know that thousands are being converted to Christ because he appears to them in a vision or a dream.

In the midst of all the terror and carnage that they are responsible for it is good to see that God has the last word.
I read books to, learned about Israel, the crusades, the popes, but I would far rather spend my time at the feet of Jesus learning from Him.

Mat_11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

pic-Jesus-teaching-wchildren.jpg

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And many are called by God to study all of their lives and they benefit us as they pass on the riches they find in Christ as a result of that study.
And so few go to Christ and learn of the riches that is in Him and God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So your non-answer means that all these giants of the faith are a waste of space and not worth the paper their books are printed on. I guess it is a case of you in your small corner and I in my big corner.

Surprising how many mistakes some people thing God makes.
It is what you see does not make it so, giants of faith, being a scholar does not make one a giant of faith, you boast of books, I will boast of Christ.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When one comes to Christ one is approved because of what HE did, what do you think you can do that could possibly outdo Him.

Why then does the Word say to STUDY to be approved? As I said, proof-texting leads you up the garden path.

And I don't know what this outdo bit is all about.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I read books to, learned about Israel, the crusades, the popes, but I would far rather spend my time at the feet of Jesus learning from Him.

Mat_11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

View attachment 10115
I am one up on you then because I do both.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is what you see does not make it so, giants of faith, being a scholar does not make one a giant of faith, you boast of books, I will boast of Christ.

I will boast of my humility. Not a good idea but when others are proud of their spirituality that is all I can do.

R

Rita

So you have read read books, and they were valuable - why do you suppose that others who read book ( or even write them ) do not spend time with the Lord on a one to one basis.
I do understand , and agree, that there are some you totally rely on knowledge and presume they are okay because of what they know, not who they know ( Jesus ) So I am in agreement with some of what you have conveyed.
Rita

R

Rita

I am one up on you then because I do both.
So do I, and on that note I need to go and reflect on some notes I made during a sermon I was listening to earlier today on Noah and the flood, and about sacrifice xxx
Rita

Reactions: marksman

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I know that is not the truth by experience. If it was, I would not have a library of over 1,000 books to draw on for inspiration and learning. I can just imagine you lecturing at Bible College. "Today's topic is the second coming of Christ. You will learn all you need to know by kneeling in front of Jesus. Class dismissed."

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you have read read books, and they were valuable - why do you suppose that others who read book ( or even write them ) do not spend time with the Lord on a one to one basis.
I do understand , and agree, that there are some you totally rely on knowledge and presume they are okay because of what they know, not who they know ( Jesus ) So I am in agreement with some of what you have conveyed.
Rita
Valuable not really, just read to pass teh time, the only thing that is valuable is what we learn from God, everything else just fills up the empty spaces in my brain.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why then does the Word say to STUDY to be approved? As I said, proof-texting leads you up the garden path.

And I don't know what this outdo bit is all about.
Well what did Paul think of it all,

Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,