How important is it to agree with other Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those who read my posts, you know I tend to stray beyond the boundaries of traditional Christian thought.....however, I am schooled in the traditional heresies and reject them all. I strive to be orthodox despite the cries of heresy from certain fundamentalists. My question for you is 'how important is unity in thought with the Body is for you?" I will answer my own question....it is more important than I have communicated. I would say 9 out of 10 on a ten point scale.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
You mean agreeing just for the sake of agreeing?, even though you know in your heart they are wrong?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Here's the problem. Because of all of the schisms in christianity we'll rarely agree.

Why so much division? The enemy.

A house divided...

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Agreeing with the rest of the Body is pretty low on my list of priorities. I don't think I can put a subjective number on its importance to me. I would like to agree with the rest of Christendom, but I will not compromise what I know to be right.

I try to keep to the basic foundations of the scriptures and common knowledge when around other Christians. [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]To me it is better to build a smaller house of stone than a mansion out of straw.[/SIZE]

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
There are only a handful of material matters that we should all agree on.

It is crucial to agree on them. But...we either know them or we don't / either are a Christian or we are not.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question aspen. If I can find it, I have an article I wrote on this very subject that I'll post later. I think it's far more important than people realize. While 100% agreement this side of heaven is nigh on impossible to conceive, it is a necessary component of successful spiritual warfare. Jesus teaches in
Matt. 18:19 - "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven." So as we can see agreement is very important but I guess the major point to learn is how to disagree on topical issues yet be in unity in the basics and not let where we disagree distract us from our common goal of furthering His kingdom and our love for each other. I love my wife with all my heart and soul but that doesn't mean we agree on everything else or every decision, but we decided long ago not to let our disagreements become divisive. It takes practice and it doesn't come easily but it is possible but we should desire, as the Body of Christ, to learn how to do that successfully.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's critically important, and Trekson gave a great verse to show that. However, we must agree on something that is the Truth. Afterall, if we agree on something that isn't the Truth, then it is a lie. And if we agree on a lie, then we have a third party who agrees with us and that's the father of lies, which is the devil. No?

That's why I don't mind debating and discussion -- even if it's heated. Others have said this same thing in a different way, and I support them.

Reactions: aspen

Blake Bailey

Jan 5, 2015
WV, USA
I don't think it's highly important, except we be in agreement in high theological matters, such as Jesus being the Son of God and the 2nd of the Trinity... His Resurrection on the third day, His second coming as a worldwide, non-private event, you know, the big matters. As far as agreeing on whether or not there's a rapture, preterism vs. amillenialism or what have you, it's all peripheral. It has no saving power whether you are right or wrong. I believe God takes no pleasure in our theological banter, but delights in child-like faith and Him seeing our hearts shine for Him.

Reactions: Dan57
B

brakelite

Unity or division has been the hot topic of discussion within Chrisianity for 2000 years. When the church of Rome began to fall away as a result of spiritual adultery with the world when it took the reins of power once held but now vacated by the emperors, the true followers of Christ must have had very similar discussions. As the Roman church allowed more and more compromises to weaken its hold on truth, the faithful few decided to dissolve all union with the apostate church. They dared not tolerate errors that would imperil not only their own souls, but those of the children and future generations after them. As the state church became more entrenched in falsehood and idolatry, division became the only option if they were to obey the word of God. I would imagine that the love they had for their church, and their brethren in the faith, would have motivated them to bend over backwards to secure peace and unity among those who named Christ as their Savior, but only so far as it was consistent with conscience and faithfulness to God. But if unity was bought at the cost of principle and truth, then that price was too high. History then informs us that those factions that seperated from or refused to submit to Rome over the ensuing centuries paid for their fidelity to truth with their lives.
The reformation that began several centuries later incited similar discussions. Though originally having no desire to seperate from Rome, the reformers, from Wycliffe to Huss, and from Luther to Ridley, were in the end given no choice. Again, because Rome refused to seperate herself from idolatry error and sin, new factions developed such as we now see today. The Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Lutherans et al...the divisional fruits of seeking truth and righteousness.
Today, we are having the same discussion, but sadly from the opposite perspective. Rome is actively and powerfully seeking to have those 'seperated brethren' return to the fold. Unity today is seen by many as being of paramount importance, and unfortunately the compromising of truth and faithfulness to the word of God is not seen as being too much of a barrier. So long as they can agree on a few main points of doctrine, the differences can be set aside for future discussions amid a spirit of 'tolerance and love'.
Ever wondered at the persecutions of the early church and the reformed churches and why there is so little persecution today? Yet the apostke Paul declare that they who would live godly in Christ Jesus would suffer persecution. (2Tim 3:12). I am convinced that the only reason for such a state of affairs today is that the church by and large has conformed to the world's standard and incites no oppostion. No longer are we willing today to refuse compromise. We are too tolerant of error. We are afraid of being accused of intolerance and not 'loving the brethren'. We are afraid of being accused of being 'divisive'.

For me, I care not if all the eclesiastical councils, seminaries, bible colleges,universities and church boards and PhD luminaries from far and wide agreed and signed page after page of high powered declarations of unity and brotherhood....I would stand alone if I disagreed in one point of doctrine affecting conscience. I would stand alone if in conscientious obedience to God's word I would be in opposition to them...I would stand alone if God's character was insulted and abused by lies regardless of the reputation of those ingnorantly doing so...I would stand alone if untiy with them involved compromise and lightly disregarding truth.

And the reformation never ended...those that pulled away did not move far enough and their children today (the vast majority of Christendom) are suffering as a result, inheriting and believing superstitions and lies that can or could vitally affect salvation, and impact mightily on their apprehension of God's character and His purposes for His people.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not important at all until you disagree with me!

J/K

Unity strengthens the Universal Church, and in such we all agree. It is the minor issues where we disagree, and I do not see any end this side of Heaven to our personal or corporate persuasions.

The issue comes to a head when we allow our views to splinter the Church as opposed to adding richness and diversity.

Levi

May 30, 2013
aspen said:
For those who read my posts, you know I tend to stray beyond the boundaries of traditional Christian thought.....however, I am schooled in the traditional heresies and reject them all. I strive to be orthodox despite the cries of heresy from certain fundamentalists. My question for you is 'how important is unity in thought with the Body is for you?" I will answer my own question....it is more important than I have communicated. I would say 9 out of 10 on a ten point scale.
Hi Aspen,
Ephesians tells us the church exists so that we all come into the unity to the full knowledge of Christ until we reach full measure, so the knowledge of who Christ is and what He has done should be the unifying factor,after all that IS Christianity.

We should all be agreeing upon the fundamental beliefs of Christianity. There are closed hand issues and those would be who Christ is, what did he do, etc. Open handed issues, imo, OSAS and NOSAS, is not a salvation issue so if we disagree on the issue, it's not so important.

Reactions: dragonfly and Dan57

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I agree that there are fundamental truths that Christians should not dispute. But much of scripture requires interpretation, and that's where different opinions confilict. We all can't agree on everything, anymore than we would expect Jesus to agree with the Pharisees about everything, but the important thing is to make the bible our centerpiece of understanding. Our understanding improves with studying the scriptures and everyone is at a different level. When we think that we understand everything, we fail to grow. Staying impressionable is important, I have often thought that I understood something, only to learn that I was actually clueless. Agreeing or disagreeing with others doesn't make anyone right, but discussions on forums like this can always throw some light on a subject.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Great question, Aspen!

It is the unity of the Spirit that is important, not the unity of thought? And any unity that does not place Jesus Christ in the preeminent position in the Body with His people gathering around and unto him rather than gathering around and unto man, will only result in conformity.

Conformity is not true unity.

Uniformity of thought is not true unity.

So, what is the unity of the Spirit? That is the question. Does anyone want to take a "stab" at it? And don't forget the rest of the verse..."in the bond of peace".

Eph_4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Axehead

Reactions: dragonfly

Levi

May 30, 2013
Axehead said:
Great question, Aspen!

It is the unity of the Spirit that is important, not the unity of thought? And any unity that does not place Jesus Christ in the preeminent position in the Body with His people gathering around and unto him rather than gathering around and unto man, will only result in conformity.

Conformity is not true unity.

Uniformity of thought is not true unity.

So, what is the unity of the Spirit? That is the question. Does anyone want to take a "stab" at it? And don't forget the rest of the verse..."in the bond of peace".

Eph_4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Axehead
I'll take a shot Axehead - Spiritual unity can only be achieved supernaturally, any other kind of unity would be of the flesh. We rise over our natural prejudices and enter into His Body, bonded in peace, love and mercy.

Reactions: dragonfly

Levi

May 30, 2013
Axehead said:
Love that definition, Levi. That is a big part of it.
I'm assuming you see that there is more, what are other parts that would define spiritual unity?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting, in it's self, that we cant agree sometimes... But I'm not surprised. There are so many denoms that bend scripture to meet their needs or justify what they chose to make appropriate in the eyes of God when scripture clearly says it's not. To that point, when we all get into these knock down drag out debates we have already missed Christ's message completely. His message is Love. We certainly do not always reflect that on here.

To answer the OP, It IS important that we agree but that is the problem, we shouldn't always agree because there is too much false doctrine out there and on here. Aspen, whom I consider a friend, does venture out but only because traditional has become farther and farther from the intended doctrine. (Aspen, if I'm wrong, please let me know :) ) The biggest question I have for anyone on here that may argue with what is NOW considered non-traditional doctrine is, are you lead by the Holy Spirit or you own agenda and interpretation of His word? If you are truly lead by the Holy Spirit then we would all start to agree because I'm pretty sure the Holy Spirit doesn't lead differently depending on who's asking.

In short, if you are lead by the Holy Spirit, you will be able to agree with other Christians.

BA out!

Levi

May 30, 2013
Born_Again said:
It's interesting, in it's self, that we cant agree sometimes... But I'm not surprised. There are so many denoms that bend scripture to meet their needs or justify what they chose to make appropriate in the eyes of God when scripture clearly says it's not. To that point, when we all get into these knock down drag out debates we have already missed Christ's message completely. His message is Love. We certainly do not always reflect that on here.

To answer the OP, It IS important that we agree but that is the problem, we shouldn't always agree because there is too much false doctrine out there and on here. Aspen, whom I consider a friend, does venture out but only because traditional has become farther and farther from the intended doctrine. (Aspen, if I'm wrong, please let me know :) ) The biggest question I have for anyone on here that may argue with what is NOW considered non-traditional doctrine is, are you lead by the Holy Spirit or you own agenda and interpretation of His word? If you are truly lead by the Holy Spirit then we would all start to agree because I'm pretty sure the Holy Spirit doesn't lead differently depending on who's asking.

In short, if you are lead by the Holy Spirit, you will be able to agree with other Christians.

BA out!
People have been claiming for centuries they are following the Holy Spirit, yet out of that there are 30,000+ denominations.

I believe the key is to rise above petty arguments and be bound in peace and love, because as much as we would like to, we will not agree on everything - including doctrine.

platypusninja314

Apr 15, 2015
I believe that we must agree on the important things, for without a "Christian foundation," everything would crumble. From there, I believe that even if we do not agree with other Christians on certain subjects, we should respect and love them.
His Bond Servant,
Ryker Lutjens

ManOnFi59238829

May 10, 2015
Man is the head, woman the neck turning the head. It is a team effort.

Christ is to man as man is to woman. (1 Corinthains 11:3) That is, Man knows God's Love, a Love that is Paternal, Fatherly, Patriarchal, and Clean and Pure. He shares it with woman.
The Greater Church is a bride for Christ, the Great Church turns God's head.

If we are in the end times, and prophecy is being fulfilled as we speak, then there had to be a falling away so that the stone rejected by the builders becomes the chief cornerstone. If there is a falling away, and you do not agree with the majority of mainline Christians, then you could be in the right place. It is possibly that God has a plan for you to call the Church into repentance. Love is a two way street. Take up your cross and follow me.