How is it that the Spirit of truth "will not speak on His own authority?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

First thanks for the post, I read it all. second you said, "Yet we also know that Christ has a physical body, and He officiates as our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary. Thus He cannot be everywhere at once in bodily form, but He can be with us all by His Spirit".
now I want you to read exactly what you just said. "he, (Jesus is with us by his Spirit). if Jesus is with us by his Spirit is not the Spirit of Jesus, is Jesus himself? yes or no.

second, you said that he, Jesus, officiates as our High Priest. Good, 1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous".

do not the word "advocate" means "comforter". let's see.
G3875 παράκλητος parakletos (pa-ra'-klee-tos) n.
1. (properly) one called near (to give help).
2. an intercessor (one who entreats of behalf of another).
3. a comforter.
[(not given)]
KJV: advocate, comforter

so, do not the Lord Jesus officiates as our comforter too?. Remember you said he is with us by his Spirit. and gave the book and chapter for this. John 14:16-18 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you".

and he did come, in Spirit. so the Spirit is a PERSON, Jesus the Christ. do you agree yes or no?.

if not sure, please re-read this post again for clarity.

Looking to hear from you.

PCY.
Yes. I agree. The holy Spirit is "Christ in us,the hope of glory". When Jesus said that He would send another comforter, other than whom? Was/is not the Father the God of all comfort? So, while I do believe in 3 persons in the Godhead, I do not accept the Spirit as being a person in the same way we understand the Father and Son as being persons. I refuse to speculate further on the nature of the holy Spirit. Way above my pay-grade.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I agree. The holy Spirit is "Christ in us,the hope of glory". When Jesus said that He would send another comforter, other than whom? Was/is not the Father the God of all comfort? So, while I do believe in 3 persons in the Godhead, I do not accept the Spirit as being a person in the same way we understand the Father and Son as being persons. I refuse to speculate further on the nature of the holy Spirit. Way above my pay-grade.
GINOLJC, thanks for the response. second, U said, "When Jesus said that He would send another comforter, other than whom? Was/is not the Father the God of all comfort?".

you're absolutely correct. "THE FATHER OF ALL COMFORT". the key to note is "ANOTHER". it the Greek word, 243 allos, which mean a numerical difference and denotes another of the same sort. in layman's term another of himself, IN "SPIRIT" without flesh and bones. for as we know he sit or is in power in heaven "bodily". so he came in "Spirit". check out that term "ANOTHER" in John 14:16, and it very clear that it is him who is coming. because in verse 18, he clearly said "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you". can't get any plainer that that.

but check it out, the term Comforter in John 14 is the same word for Advocate in 1 John 2:1. same person, same title.

PCY.

Reactions: brakelite

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you say: How is it that the Spirit of truth "will not speak on His own authority?"

John 16:13
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

ScottA:
The translation of verse 13 like many others for modern English readers is much to be desired.

The spirit has led me to write the following on your well-overlooked, taken for granted and important verse. I’m glad you brought it up.
I will start a little earlier from verse 7 to capture more of the significance of verse 13, and them through verse 15.

(Joh 16:7) Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
(Joh 16:8) And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:
(Joh 16:9) concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;
(Joh 16:10) concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer;
(Joh 16:11) concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
(Joh 16:12) “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
(Joh 16:13) When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
(Joh 16:14) He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
(Joh 16:15) All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. (All ESV)

This is a more modern translation/commentary of these verses that comes much closer to what I can understand, thus far:

Jesus said that to his followers that he needed to be in his heavenly body in the heavens first, before he could help or support them. Furthermore, this type and method of aid would be more beneficial to his followers in the long run anyway.

He said than when his assistance does finally arrive into this world, it will convict it of sin, righteousness and judgment.

This is required because:

1. Many don’t believe in him and his way.

2. It is important that his followers know what righteousness means, to be set apart from the world, as Jesus is going to the heavens, and they will not see him again.

3. The ruler of this world has already been judged and sentenced.

He wished he could say much more to his followers, but he was concerned that they might not handle it or absorb it all at one time; and possibly become disillusioned.

He also said that when his assistance in the form of his Father’s spirit finally comes to his believers, his Father will not speak on Jesus’s behalf or even on his own behalf. He will allow Jesus to speak through his(Father’s) spirit, the things that he wanted his followers to know about their future.

(This is a reversal of roles since when his Father was in Jesus, while on Earth, his Father spoke through Jesus’ divine spirit/nature he gained from birth).

So, in this way, his Father is glorifying his son, Jesus. Jesus is now partaking of his Father’s spirit without his Father speaking or being active. Jesus alone is telling his followers all those things that he wanted them to know. God is allowing Jesus to use his spirit for Jesus’ own purpose.

Jesus reemphasizes that all believers that God has provided him are his own. And Jesus through his Father’s spirit will tell his believers only what Jesus wants them to know.

…………………………

Now this is a living example of what Jesus meant when he said, ‘he was in his Father and his Father is in him.’ on earth. This is an example of it operating by the Father and Jesus from the heavens. This is what it will be like when the saints are in the heavens.

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: ScottA