How many ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With 2 of my brothers, my mom and dad using the VA we have come to the conclusion that if they don't diagnose it, they don't have to treat it. This year I will be going fully private as, the VA hospital leaves a bad taste in my mouth...mostly because of the lack of treatment for my father and allowing cancer to spread through his body while saying he just has pneumonia. He had colon cancer, spread to his lungs then to his brain...he passed at 63 yr and was so very sick and weak for the last 6-8 years of his life. He was 86 lbs. when he died...in the VA. Lot's more but, won't de-rail this thread with more :oops:
I understand only too well. It is not for myself I complain but rather for so many others with no better choices.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When i became a believer as a young person I had sleepers in my ears. Walking out of a meeting one day I thought how cool I was with these sleepers when instantly this feeling of disgust overwhelmed me, disgust with my pride. I pulled them out immediately and tossed them as far as I could. That day I learned something about the pride of the flesh and liberation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When i became a believer as a young person I had sleepers in my ears. Walking out of a meeting one day I thought how cool I was with these sleepers when instantly this feeling of disgust overwhelmed me, disgust with my pride. I pulled them out immediately and tossed them as far as I could. That day I learned something about the pride of the flesh and liberation.
Well, men in the Bible had pierced ears as well as women; e.g., the Old Testament bondservant, which is part of the verbal imagery of Psalm 40: 'Mine ears hast Thou opened'; 'opened' = Hebrew: 'digged', i.e., pierced.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS:
I don't mind them on men...especially on dark skin

You might sometimes see some of the young guys in the church we go to with studs in their ears; although really we need to be concentrating on the Word and worship. I suppose that for some ppl too much jewelry on others might prove to be a distraction; although, when it comes to simple earring studs on wearers of either gender, these are so commonplace and I don't really think they need be classified inherently as a distraction. It's all rather benign, really. (If this makes sense?)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You might sometimes see some of the young guys in the church we go to with studs in their ears; although really we need to be concentrating on the Word and worship. I suppose that for some ppl too much jewelry on others might prove to be a distraction; although, when it comes to simple earring studs on wearers of either gender, these are so commonplace and I don't really think they need be classified inherently as a distraction. It's all rather benign, really. (If this makes sense?)
benign or no its got your attention. Is it worth that?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, vanity, vanity...all is vanity ;)
I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other. :oops:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other. :oops:
So you like asymmetricality!

Years ago having one each side was the 'default' setting; but 40 years ago teenaged girls - and their moms - started getting 2 (or 3) each side, so that for so many now doubles/triples have become the standard, 'default' setting, so to speak. Today it's the boys who still seem to get singles done (it used to be 1 ear for boys/men but now they so often do both straightway.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am a typical one in each ear.
I have many sets of gold earring...but I am lazy and don't bother to change them much. :D
"ByGrace" : PS: Come to think of it, it's been about 40 years since many teens - and their moms - started doing doubles in each ear.

Which means that for example a 19 year old in 1979 and her - say - 45 year old mom who did it would now be 58 and 84 respectively. Kind of shows how well established a custom it has become.

So do you remember clearly when maybe a lot of your contemporaries (you're not 84 yet!) started getting doubles done?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So do you remember clearly when maybe a lot of your contemporaries (you're not 84 yet!) started getting doubles done?

No, but it sure was not 40 years ago. It says the female movie stars started it...but not sure about that. Maybe it happened, but did not 'catch on' until the movie start made it a fashion statement. I'd say 20, not 40. But I am no expert for sure. lol

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower FYI, I saw your comment on the other thread about pierced ears; I agree; it's hard to describe it as culpable mutilation, when people in the Bible got earrings, when the bondservant (both genders) got ear piercings (the underlying Messianic verbal imagery in Psalm 40: 'mine ears hast Thou opened' - Hebrew, 'opened' = digged, i.e., pierced); and of course Godly wives of so many preachers probably have them. (I don't know why people even try to promote such far fetched claims...)

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have one in each ear and my husband has one ear pierced. I got my daughter's done at 4 months. Bit of a tradition in my family on the girl's side.

Reactions: farouk

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one who told me it was wrong was an older gentleman from my church in his 70's. He is very respectful and has never mentioned it before, but guess was upset to see my daughter's ears pierced. They will grow back if she doesnt want them when she gets older.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have one in each ear and my husband has one ear pierced. I got my daughter's done at 4 months. Bit of a tradition in my family on the girl's side.
I've not worn earrings recently, but the time has long gone since ppl could really say that men don't wear earrings (just as the time has long past since ppl could say that it's only men that become tattooed). So does your dh ever 'need' reminding from you to wear his earring? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The one who told me it was wrong was an older gentleman from my church in his 70's. He is very respectful and has never mentioned it before, but guess was upset to see my daughter's ears pierced. They will grow back if she doesnt want them when she gets older.
Bizarre...

Well, at our local church we sometimes have young men who come to the Bible class and - like a lot of young men - happen to wear ear studs; it's rather benign; and I would have thought that most Christians would be glad to see them rather than drive them away with the sort of bizarre comment that you received even for a girl...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything has it's limits...there will be no piercing other than my EARS, lol...I see the disfiguring when they do things like have their tongue forked, or when they put inserts under their skin like those who have what look like devils horns. Anything to get away from the original image of god. Sad.