How not to gain weight after fasting?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
Besides prayer, is there a way not to gain weight and blimp up after a fast? Not to fast at all, I guess. But other than that? After the last time I did it, I swear I gained six pounds overnight.Increase my exercise, water intake? Although This fast is for our church not weight loss, I don't want to gain either.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Haha, I have never heard that question before! Never even thought of it. But I would probably have to say that after a fast your going to gain weight no matter what. Your body is going to be begging for nourishment and it will hold on to anything and everything it can get no matter if its healthy or not. So after a fast I think weight gain is unavoidable, but I am pretty sure that it would come back off. Just not as quickly as it came.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Kimshi42;34014)
Besides prayer, is there a way not to gain weight and blimp up after a fast? Not to fast at all, I guess. But other than that? After the last time I did it, I swear I gained six pounds overnight.Increase my exercise, water intake? Although This fast is for our church not weight loss, I don't want to gain either.
How long did you fast?Sometimes gaining weight is just water gain, and will come off eventually. I suspect water if you gained it "overnight" as 6 pounds would require about 21,000 extra calories (shame, shame if you ate that in one day!
biggrin.gif
) But if it is true weight gain over a course of time, then you must be taking in more than you need. The metabolism may slow after a longer fast and cannot tolerate that much food afterwards. You may have to eat like a rabbit the first fews days or a week and gradually increase your food intake again. That's why they never feed starving children a big meal. It would kill them; their body is so weak it does not have the energy to metabolize it.Exercise will increase the metabolism, too. And don't do like the medical establishment exercisoholics do and go for a half an hour to an hour a day so hard that you pant for air. Otherwise, you may stress your body. 10 minutes daily of something that gets the heart rate up a little is plenty of exercise. 8 glasses of water a day is also a myth. Drink water, but let your body tell you when it had enough. Some people do fine on as little as a quart of fluids a day. Others may need 8 glasses. It depends on the individual.