How old is the earth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some Christians think that the earth is between 6000 to 15,000 years old (coinciding with the Neolithic Age). Astronomers think that it is 4.5 billion years old. Here is an attempt to resolve this incongruity.

Jesus turns water into wine in John 2:

7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
How old is this wine?

If you ask the servants, the human observers/witnesses, they would say a few seconds old.

The story continues:

9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
If you ask the expert, the master of the banquet, "how old is this wine?", he would say it was some months or even years old.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the perspective. The supernatural perspective tells us that it was only a second old. The natural perspective tells us that it was at least some months old.

Similarly, in Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. ... 31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
How old is the earth?

If we ask an astronomer from the natural perspective, he can only study the present-day physical data based on scientific calculation. It is 4.5 billion years old. That's the scientific space-time perspective.

On the other hand, from the supernatural angle, if we read the Bible literally, the present-day earth is only some thousands of years old. That's the biblical witnessed-time perspective.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the time perspective. God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years. The Bible is not a scientific treatise. It focuses on the story of redemption. In terms of witnessed-time history, it is only some thousands of years old. On the other hand, from the scientific-time point of view, the earth is billions of years old.

Note that this is not the same as Last Thursdayism because God tells me the contrary. God did not create the universe last Thursday. Genesis contradicts this. I can also contradict this. I was alive last Thursday. God was with me. God dwells in me. It happened in real live-time. I didn't see God create this universe last Thursday. I believe in the words of God, not Last Thursdayism.

Jesus spoke about it as a historical witnessed-time event in Mark 10:

6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’
From the perspective of scientific time, the details of this embedding are amazing:

• 24,000-year-old animal found alive, well, and ready to reproduce
  • Fossils reveal what may be the oldest known case of the dino sniffles.
There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. Space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.

There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. None of the hominids before Adam would be resurrected and judged by Christ. Unlike Adam, Eve, ..., and me, they never received a breath from God at the time when we were born to animate our souls. In that sense, hominids were not eternal witnesses.

On the other hand, space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years

That makes God to be a liar.

As a rational Explanation for the many layers of sedimentary rock, fossils a global flood would cause planet transforming effects without needing the atheist inspired millions of years.

Reactions: marks

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christians think that the earth is between 6000 to 15,000 years old (coinciding with the Neolithic Age). Astronomers think that it is 4.5 billion years old. Here is an attempt to resolve this incongruity.

How old is this wine?

If you ask the servants, the human observers/witnesses, they would say a few seconds old.

The story continues:

If you ask the expert, the master of the banquet, "how old is this wine?", he would say it was some months or even years old.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the perspective. The supernatural perspective tells us that it was only a second old. The natural perspective tells us that it was at least some months old.

Similarly, in Genesis 1:

How old is the earth?

If we ask an astronomer from the natural perspective, he can only study the present-day physical data based on scientific calculation. It is 4.5 billion years old. That's the scientific space-time perspective.

On the other hand, from the supernatural angle, if we read the Bible literally, the present-day earth is only some thousands of years old. That's the biblical witnessed-time perspective.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the time perspective. God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years. The Bible is not a scientific treatise. It focuses on the story of redemption. In terms of witnessed-time history, it is only some thousands of years old. On the other hand, from the scientific-time point of view, the earth is billions of years old.

Note that this is not the same as Last Thursdayism because God tells me the contrary. God did not create the universe last Thursday. Genesis contradicts this. I can also contradict this. I was alive last Thursday. God was with me. God dwells in me. It happened in real live-time. I didn't see God create this universe last Thursday. I believe in the words of God, not Last Thursdayism.

From the perspective of scientific time, the details of this embedding are amazing:

There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. Space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.

There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. None of the hominids before Adam would be resurrected and judged by Christ. Unlike Adam, Eve, ..., and me, they never received a breath from God at the time when we were born to animate our souls. In that sense, hominids were not eternal witnesses.

On the other hand, space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.
if the earth is only 10,000 years old since the time it was formed in 6 days.

we can not say it is also billions of years old..

This just feeds the athiest and old earth anti creation people to show why they should not listen to these people who call themselves Gods people

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years.
I don't think that is true. I believe that the geological evidence supports Noah's flood, not millions and millions of years. After all, why would God create an earth with an artificial past?

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was alive last Thursday. God was with me. God dwells in me. It happened in real live-time. I didn't see God create this universe last Thursday. I believe in the words of God, not Last Thursdayism.
Of course, God could have created you this morning with a memory of last night, and last Thursday.

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that is true. I believe that the geological evidence supports Noah's flood, not millions and millions of years. After all, why would God create an earth with an artificial past?

Much love!
Amen

He created it in a so called 'aged" state so it could support life

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was there before Adam, and God witnessed everything before Adam was created. And God then gave His testimony of what He witnessed through Moses, writing it all down in Genesis.

God told Moses that in six days He created heaven and earth and everything in them, and on the 7th day He rested, so He commanded Israel to likewise rest on the 7th day.

This seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God told Moses that in six days He created heaven and earth and everything in them, and on the 7th day He rested, so He commanded Israel to likewise rest on the 7th day.

The question is what time frame of reference do we use, "God's time frame of reference or man's time frame of reference?"

For unto God, a Day within God's time frame of reference is like 1k years within Man's time frame of reference.

Trying to resolve man's time frame of reference for the existence of this present earth leads one down many rabbit warrens.

For example if God rested on the seventh day with respect to His time frame of reference, can we determine the length of God's Sabbath day of rest in respect to man's time frame of reference? Did God rest for one 24 hrs period within man's reference time frame or did He rest for 1k years within man's time frame of reference?

How then do we reconcile man's reference time frame with God's reference time frame?

I really have difficulties in satisfying my thoughts on this puzzling conundrum.

In all senses, it is above my pay grade to resolve satisfactorily.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can you prove your accusation by First-Order Logic?
Not 1st order logic, just ordinary reasoning.

Titus 1:2, in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,
Only one of many verses that say God does not lie. But if God created a world with a false history of things which did not happen, then that a God is lieing.​

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How old is this wine?

The story continues:

So which answer is true?

Similarly, in Genesis 1:

How old is the earth?

So which answer is true?

How old is this earthen vessel? 54 years old but will be 55 in March. The Time flies!

Reactions: TonyChanYT