How old is the earth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both are true depending on the time perspective. God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years.

That doesn't make much sense. Why would God create an illusion that the earth is older than it is?

I tend to belive mankind is relatively young but the earth is older. How old? I don't know. But I question carbon dating as it persumes the rate of decay has been constant throughout time, which we don't know is true. Plus, there are things that can skew the results, like volcanic erruptions IIRC. I imagine the world was drastically changed after the Great Flood which would also skew the results.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also asserted he did it in 6 days.
You are saying then that in 6 days God created the earth and in such a way as to make it look billions of years old, with the fossils of billions of creatures which never actually lived?

Much love!

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christians think that the earth is between 6000 to 15,000 years old (coinciding with the Neolithic Age). Astronomers think that it is 4.5 billion years old. Here is an attempt to resolve this incongruity.

Jesus turns water into wine in John 2:

How old is this wine?

If you ask the servants, the human observers/witnesses, they would say a few seconds old.

The story continues:

If you ask the expert, the master of the banquet, "how old is this wine?", he would say it was some months or even years old.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the perspective. The supernatural perspective tells us that it was only a second old. The natural perspective tells us that it was at least some months old.

Similarly, in Genesis 1:

How old is the earth?

If we ask an astronomer from the natural perspective, he can only study the present-day physical data based on scientific calculation. It is 4.5 billion years old. That's the scientific space-time perspective.

On the other hand, from the supernatural angle, if we read the Bible literally, the present-day earth is only some thousands of years old. That's the biblical witnessed-time perspective.

So which answer is true?

Both are true depending on the time perspective. God created the earth with the embedded evolutionary records of billions of years. The Bible is not a scientific treatise. It focuses on the story of redemption. In terms of witnessed-time history, it is only some thousands of years old. On the other hand, from the scientific-time point of view, the earth is billions of years old.

Note that this is not the same as Last Thursdayism because God tells me the contrary. God did not create the universe last Thursday. Genesis contradicts this. I can also contradict this. I was alive last Thursday. God was with me. God dwells in me. It happened in real live-time. I didn't see God create this universe last Thursday. I believe in the words of God, not Last Thursdayism.

Jesus spoke about it as a historical witnessed-time event in Mark 10:

From the perspective of scientific time, the details of this embedding are amazing:

• 24,000-year-old animal found alive, well, and ready to reproduce
  • Fossils reveal what may be the oldest known case of the dino sniffles.
There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. Space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.

There are two different frameworks of time. Roughly, witnessed-time started when Adam opened his eyes. None of the hominids before Adam would be resurrected and judged by Christ. Unlike Adam, Eve, ..., and me, they never received a breath from God at the time when we were born to animate our souls. In that sense, hominids were not eternal witnesses.

On the other hand, space-time is measured by scientific calculations. Even scientifically, there is something funny about time.
Thank you for your lengthy and reasoned post. Although I do not entirely agree with it, you should be commended for the gentle analysis.
Peace and blessings.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I called it space-time. Please read my OP.

I don't know. I will ask Him when I see Him.

I'm still not quite sure where you're coming from. A perspective is just that—a perspective. It doesn't automatically equate to the truth. In your wine analogy, they had different perspectives on how old the wine was. And from their perspective, their reasoning may seem to be true. But it doesn't change the fact of how old the wine actually is. If it was made 10 years ago, for example, then it would be 10 years old, regardless of one's perspective.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was there before Adam, and God witnessed everything before Adam was created. And God then gave His testimony of what He witnessed through Moses, writing it all down in Genesis.

God told Moses that in six days He created heaven and earth and everything in them, and on the 7th day He rested, so He commanded Israel to likewise rest on the 7th day.

This seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Much love!
Darn... I was gonna stay out of this.

God told Moses, ( or whoever the author of Genesis truly was ) that He created the earth in ... I guess you mean 6 days as He rested on the 7th. Logic would then say all was created in144 hours.

Now, I just promised God I would not get into how many hours between things but I have to say this....

What is a day to God.....

2 Peter 3:8 tells us...

KJV 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Greek Interlinear 8 But this one thing not let escape you beloved, but one day with Lord is as a thousand years
and a thousand years as day one.

The Original Aramaic 8. But you shall not disregard this one thing, beloved: "One day is to THE LORD JEHOVAH as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day."

Peshitta 8But you shall not disregard this one thing, beloved: “One day is to THE LORD JEHOVAH as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day.”

And while Peter is not talking about Genesis or creation this is a statement of truth and has been with God since before time began for us.

Therefore.

Moses or the author may have written of a day as directed by God, but in Gods true mind it most likely meant a thousand years .

And if this be true then it took at least 6ooo years for creation....

And that can be biblically founded.

Blessings

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation.
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Darn... I was gonna stay out of this.

God told Moses, ( or whoever the author of Genesis truly was ) that He created the earth in ... I guess you mean 6 days as He rested on the 7th. Logic would then say all was created in144 hours.

Now, I just promised God I would not get into how many hours between things but I have to say this....

What is a day to God.....

2 Peter 3:8 tells us...

KJV 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Greek Interlinear 8 But this one thing not let escape you beloved, but one day with Lord is as a thousand years
and a thousand years as day one.

The Original Aramaic 8. But you shall not disregard this one thing, beloved: "One day is to THE LORD JEHOVAH as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day."

Peshitta 8But you shall not disregard this one thing, beloved: “One day is to THE LORD JEHOVAH as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day.”

And while Peter is not talking about Genesis or creation this is a statement of truth and has been with God since before time began for us.

Therefore.

Moses or the author may have written of a day as directed by God, but in Gods true mind it most likely meant a thousand years .

And if this be true then it took at least 6ooo years for creation....

And that can be biblically founded.

Blessings
God tells us that day and a thousand years are alike to Him, but that isn't saying that we should understand a day to be 1,000 years. How long was Jesus in the tomb? 3 days? 3,000 years?

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God tells us that day and a thousand years are alike to Him, but that isn't saying that we should understand a day to be 1,000 years. How long was Jesus in the tomb? 3 days? 3,000 years?

Much love!

Mark, you are an English translation literalist and as such you miss much in the way of Biblical context.

The Hebrew word, "yō·wm", which is translated as "day" in our English translations, as is found in Genesis 1:5 is very different to the Hebrew word, "hay·yō·wm", which is also translated as "day" in our English translations, and is found in Genesis 1:14.

The Hebrew word "hay·yō·wm" as found in the contest of Genesis 1:14-18 has a duration of a "day" as determined by the rotation of the earth spinning about its rotational axis.

However, we need to be careful in our diligence when studying Hebrew words as a tit and tat can make a big difference as to the meaning of the Hebrew word. Whatever the Hebrew word "י֥וֹם" duration is, it is not given and we can only guess as to what its duration is. What I do know is that the days of creation are not equivalent to a 24 hour period of time as we know it from the rotation of the earth about its axis.

How important the understanding of the duration of the creation account is for our salvation is marginal at best. It has no bearing on how we respond to God's drawing of us to Himself. We either comply with His Statutes and requirement or we don't.

This discussion is pointless in my opinion.

Shalom

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This discussion is pointless in my opinion.
Then why are you bothering?

Whatever the Hebrew word "י֥וֹם" duration is, it is not given and we can only guess as to what its duration is.

How long is the Sabbath day on which God said to rest? The other 6 days were the same.

Exodus 20:8-11 KJV
8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Simplicity. If you are willing to simply accept what you read.

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then why are you bothering?

How long is the Sabbath day on which God said to rest? The other 6 days were the same.

Exodus 20:8-11 KJV
8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Simplicity. If you are willing to simply accept what you read.

Much love!

Mark, it is simple if you only read the English translation which has lost the context of the passages that have been translated.

In my post I did say it is pointless to try and explain something that has the complexity of the Hebrew language in its context. You sir have confirmed my concern.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark, it is simple if you only read the English translation which has lost the context of the passages that have been translated.

In my post I did say it is pointless to try and explain something that has the complexity of the Hebrew language in its context. You sir have confirmed my concern.
I've seen many people get lost in the weeds thinking they've uncovered all these hidden nuances in the Hebrew of the OT. The context and wording is clear.

In six days God created everything, and on the seventh day He rested, so you also rest on the seventh day. So, what is the question about how long is a day? How long was the sabbath rest? 24 hours. How long is a day? 24 hours. How long did God spend creating? 6 x 24 hours.

Much love!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen many people get lost in the weeds thinking they've uncovered all these hidden nuances in the Hebrew of the OT. The context and wording is clear.

In six days God created everything, and on the seventh day He rested, so you also rest on the seventh day. So, what is the question about how long is a day? How long was the sabbath rest? 24 hours. How long is a day? 24 hours. How long did God spend creating? 6 x 24 hours.

Much love!
Jay Ross' reply #33 says... " However, we need to be careful in our diligence when studying Hebrew words as a tit and tat can make a big difference as to the meaning of the Hebrew word. Whatever the Hebrew word "י֥וֹם" duration is, it is not given and we can only guess as to what its duration is. What I do know is that the days of creation are not equivalent to a 24 hour period of time as we know it from the rotation of the earth about its axis.

It would be best to go back and read the entire post.

You want to believe everything happened in God's plan in 144 literal consecutive hours fine.

But think about this.

God had a plan. I doubt if He winged it.

Gen 1:3 tells is in the first 24 hours God said And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Then 96 hours later in vs 14 God said And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide
the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

(3 to 4 days later, depending on how one counts... I say 4 because day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4
but one could say from day 1 to day 2 is 1 days etc)

After all the plans that were being instituted in this alledged 144 hours of creation God had to create light twice.

NO... dont pull the different purpose argument. He knew in verse 1 what would happen on the forth day.
I suppose he could have forgotten and added on ?:eek:

No I dont think so either.... Go read Jay's post again

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be best to go back and read the entire post.
Perhaps reread my reply?

How long were the Israelites told to rest for their Sabbath? 1000 years? An age? From sundown to sundown? I'd answer from sundown to sundown, or, in other words, a 24 hour period.

Personally I don't understand the confusion considering God embedded the timeline within the 10 commandments themselves.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After all the plans that were being instituted in this alledged 144 hours of creation God had to create light twice.

NO... dont pull the different purpose argument.
Different purpose argument? I don't know what that is.

But this I can say. On the first day, God created light. On the 4th day, He created the sun. He did not create light twice. Let's not blend the words together as though they were the same.

Much love!