How old.......Mary ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
how old do many Christians state and accept Mary was when Jesus was born ? - twinc

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible doesn't say. Nor do I care. Some say she was 12-14. I suspect she wasn't 45-50.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect she wasn't bwcause of human physiology. That's the time when women tend to stop being able to have babies.

Liz had a miracle birth. Doesn't mean Mary was that old. Doesn't mean ahe wasn't.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's a reasonable assumption that Mary was in her teens, because that was the age at which most Jewish girls were married at that time.

But it's only an assumption. We don't actually know - nor does it matter.

Reactions: Helen

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
teens is meaningless[13 is not a bit like 19] - if 13 or 14ish it does matter as paedophilia and it seems it was not sanctioned by the Talmud and early Judaism so how did Joseph get away with it - btw at a young 46 for John to take Mary to his own home would have been a scandal 0f the first magnitude to the strict Pharisees - twinc

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
teens is meaningless[13 is not a bit like 19] - if 13 or 14ish it does matter as paedophilia and it seems it was not sanctioned by the Talmud and early Judaism so how did Joseph get away with it - btw at a young 46 for John to take Mary to his own home would have been a scandal 0f the first magnitude to the strict Pharisees - twinc
If marriage at 14 wasn't permitted at that time then Mary must have been older. There's no suggestion anywhere that she was "under-age", so why drag the possibility of paedophilia into it?

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
If marriage at 14 wasn't permitted at that time then Mary must have been older. There's no suggestion anywhere that she was "under-age", so why drag the possibility of paedophilia into it?

not guilty - so see post No 5 and see for yourself exactly who is making the 'reasonable assumptions' - twinc

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- btw at a young 46 for John to take Mary to his own home would have been a scandal 0f the first magnitude to the strict Pharisees
Huh? John was 46? Who was John and how do you know he was 46?

Do you mean Joseph? If so I presume you may have gotten that from the Gospel according to James. If so, I don't even believe that is anything more than fiction.

teens is meaningless[13 is not a bit like 19] - if 13 or 14ish it does matter as paedophilia and it seems it was not sanctioned by the Talmud and early Judaism so how did Joseph get away with it

Is that in the Talmud? If so it peaks my interest.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

Do you mean Joseph? If so I presume you may have gotten that from the Gospel according to James. If so, I don't even believe that is anything more than fiction.

if Mary was 13 when Jesus was born she was 46 when Jesus was crucified - twinc

Reactions: FHII

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
not guilty - so see post No 5 and see for yourself exactly who is making the 'reasonable assumptions' - twinc
My post states "the age at which most Jewish girls were married". I defer to your superior knowledge, obviously, but 14 isn't that unreasonable - it was legal to marry at that age in many Western countries until quite recently.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
My post states "the age at which most Jewish girls were married". I defer to your superior knowledge, obviously, but 14 isn't that unreasonable - it was legal to marry at that age in many Western countries until quite recently.

marriage is a side issue to conception at 12 or 13 - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I thought we had established that Mary was at least 14?

it seems child sex abuse was tolerated in early Judaism and those who dared to object were castigated via google see [child sex abuse/Judaism] - twinc