HOW TO RECOGNIZE A REAL TEACHER PART 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So a knowledge of DNA and how it works doesn't help you understand Gods handiwork in creation. Now I understand your thinking process, thanks !
I'm talking about Scriptural interpretion. If I want to be a doctor, or medical research scientist, or even just to marvel at the beauty of creation, then the study of DNA could be very useful.

In understanding the Sermon on the Mount, not so much I don't think.

Oh . . . and . . .

Now I understand your thinking process, thanks !

That's another of those ad hominems.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I know exactly why...
And I also know that the standard Sunday School answer of why he sank is also untrue.
Peter's faith wasn't so much the issue as his understanding was. And Jesus was showing him that very thing.
Can you be more clear?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More emanations from the penumbra?
OR
You can just ask one of the teachers God has created who know the answers.

Don't you do that? Ask God for answers, and receive them?

Much love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about Scriptural interpretion. If I want to be a doctor, or medical research scientist, or even just to marvel at the beauty of creation, then the study of DNA could be very useful.

In understanding the Sermon on the Mount, not so much I don't think.

Oh . . . and . . .

Now I understand your thinking process, thanks !

That's another of those ad hominems.

Much love!
And an understanding how God designed things in biblical times in their culture , how nature operates with animals, plants, trees, soils etc........ helps one understand Matthew 5-7 much better than if you have zero understanding of those concepts when reading those passages.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And an understanding how God designed things in biblical times in their culture , how nature operates with animals, plants, trees, soils etc........ helps one understand Matthew 5-7 much better than if you have zero understanding of those concepts when reading those passages.
Personally, I prefer to use Scripture to interpret Scripture.

For instance, the parable itself tells us what seeds do in rocky soil, and in hard soil, and in thorny soil. Will we gain Theological understanding by knowing that we can loosen clay filled dirt with diatomaceous earth?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to yourself.

Your assertion is that you can't understand God's Book without man's books. OK. We need to be able to read.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More emanations from the penumbra?
OR
You can just ask one of the teachers God has created who know the answers.
Who was it . . . Jerry Brown? I think that's who it was . . . they called him Governor Moonbeam!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to yourself.

Your assertion is that you can't understand God's Book without man's books. OK. We need to be able to read.

Much love!
Where do the definitions of biblical words come from ?

Are you now claiming the lexicons are Scripture and not mans books ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do the definitions of biblical words come from ?
I use Biblical word studies to learn the meanings of words in the Bible. Don't misunderstand me. I use lexicons and the like, but the real deal is the Authority of the Bible itself. Nothing else compares. Nothing!

Much love!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Scripture says that by their fruit we will know them. Therefore, a person who is called to be a teacher in the body of Christ will show fruit that is consistent with the calling. A bad tree will bear bad fruit and a good tree will bear good fruit. Therefore a false teacher will bear poisoned fruit that will harm those who imbibe it. But a teacher called of God will bear fruit that will build up those who listen to it.

William Branham was a unique prophet and as long as he remained in God's calling he was a great blessing to the body of Christ in his time. But he was no good as a preacher and people went to sleep during his messages. Also he was not called as a Bible teacher and when he decided to be a teacher, he taught false doctrine, and that might have been one of the reasons why he was taken through a motor vehicle accident before his time - to prevent further damage to the body of Christ.

I believe that those who are called to ministry need to be educated in sound doctrine. Paul told Timothy to pass on his teaching to faithful men who will teach others. I don't agree with some who are anti-academic. Whether a person is trained by a faithful pastor in sound doctrine, or gets the same training through a Bible college, the outcome will be the same. If a person in a local church is recognised as a sound teacher of the Word, the leadership will commission him to the role, because they will recognise his calling from God. The problem is that ordination of ministers and pastors has become ritualised and the ceremony has confirmed a calling to the ministry, rather than the actual fruit that would confirm a genuine calling from God.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scripture says that by their fruit we will know them. Therefore, a person who is called to be a teacher in the body of Christ will show fruit that is consistent with the calling. A bad tree will bear bad fruit and a good tree will bear good fruit. Therefore a false teacher will bear poisoned fruit that will harm those who imbibe it. But a teacher called of God will bear fruit that will build up those who listen to it.

William Branham was a unique prophet and as long as he remained in God's calling he was a great blessing to the body of Christ in his time. But he was no good as a preacher and people went to sleep during his messages. Also he was not called as a Bible teacher and when he decided to be a teacher, he taught false doctrine, and that might have been one of the reasons why he was taken through a motor vehicle accident before his time - to prevent further damage to the body of Christ.

I believe that those who are called to ministry need to be educated in sound doctrine. Paul told Timothy to pass on his teaching to faithful men who will teach others. I don't agree with some who are anti-academic. Whether a person is trained by a faithful pastor in sound doctrine, or gets the same training through a Bible college, the outcome will be the same. If a person in a local church is recognised as a sound teacher of the Word, the leadership will commission him to the role, because they will recognise his calling from God. The problem is that ordination of ministers and pastors has become ritualised and the ceremony has confirmed a calling to the ministry, rather than the actual fruit that would confirm a genuine calling from God.
Good points Paul.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you do that? Ask God for answers, and receive them?

Much love!
Well yes...
But God created teachers...that's biblical.

Just like I and others have a deep love of scriptures that make us go beyond the text to find out why what was written was written in the way it was written in. Others have a deep love of their specialties in scholastic knowledge. The type that lets a true teacher of the scriptures sift through to find the gems of knowledge and put it all together to make clear what God has said.

Not everyone has an ability to sift through all the research papers filled with a bunch of fifty-cent words and vague inuendose......but a teacher does. That's already been discussed earlier in this thread.

I sometimes get carried away using them myself. I try not to. But then, I'm not a great teacher either. I have my niche even if my normal vocabulary is beyond the standard. But I'm slowly learning. (I consider myself a poor student too)

God made me this way... can't help but be who He created me to be.
But I am also going to state the gist of something Paul said...it's much easier to teach from scratch than to try to unteach these wacko beliefs that people have.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God created teachers...that's biblical.
Of course!

:)

And He gave them to the church. Where they are listened to, and not listened to.

Not everyone has an ability to sift through all the research papers filled with a bunch of fifty-cent words and vague inuendose......but a teacher does. That's already been discussed earlier in this thread.

And not everyone has the non-affective mind to dispassionately compare the Scriptures with each other, endlessly, for years, perfectly happy to drop an errant thought in a heartbeat if that was what came up.

it's much easier to teach from scratch than to try to unteach these wacko beliefs that people have.
Amen!!!

:)

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is that ordination of ministers and pastors has become ritualised and the ceremony has confirmed a calling to the ministry, rather than the actual fruit that would confirm a genuine calling from God.
Very much agreed.

Much love!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me,
Because of my studies into the "non biblical knowledge"
Some of the greatest stories are usually left alone by most people.

The story of Caleb is one that gets me so excited with laughing tears...it's just completely unnerving to understand.

Then there's Peter's confession of Christ in the New Testament that's another one...

Makes me want to cheer and shout when I ponder it.

Elijah's trek into the wilderness after the showdown with the prophets of Baal... another incredibly moving tale.

The Widow's Mite is another one.

The man born blind from birth is another incredible story.

Flatly reading these stories is worthless. The time and energy needed to reach beyond the stories for the whole story is why a teacher is needed. Why they are important... otherwise it's just flat, uninteresting stories.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me,
Because of my studies into the "non biblical knowledge"
Some of the greatest stories are usually left alone by most people.

The story of Caleb is one that gets me so excited with laughing tears...it's just completely unnerving to understand.

Then there's Peter's confession of Christ in the New Testament that's another one...

Makes me want to cheer and shout when I ponder it.

Elijah's trek into the wilderness after the showdown with the prophets of Baal... another incredibly moving tale.

The Widow's Mite is another one.

The man born blind from birth is another incredible story.

Flatly reading these stories is worthless. The time and energy needed to reach beyond the stories for the whole story is why a teacher is needed. Why they are important... otherwise it's just flat, uninteresting stories.
I don't understand why extrabiblical information is required to have such an appreciation for the Bible.

We collect thoughts from those things we read, both helpful and harmful. The Bible contains nothing harmful to the child of God, who comes seeking to know Him.

It sounds to me like you are denigrating someone's appreciation of Scripture based on their not having the same book collection as you. But the Holy Spirit is who brings us knowledge and understanding.

One of my favorite stories was from a once-pastor of mine. He had come to a Scripture that attracted his attention, and the more he looked at it the more intrigued he became. He spent the day researching and studying and all, and at the end, found what he had been seeking, a wonderful piece of wisdom from the Word.

He related about how he felt so good that he was able to do all that, to find these nuggets. And he went on to tell us how that Sunday, after service, one of the church widows came to him, Pastor, I just wanted to show you something! I was doing my morning reading just the other day, and I saw this. And she took him to that very verse, and showed him that very thing.

I think all these stories are amazing! Peter walking on the water has some extremely interesting aspects, and I'm still interested in your ideas about that.

Much love!

Last edited:

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Sound exegesis of Scripture involves the cultural and environmental background, who wrote it, when and why he wrote it, and who were the ones the Scripture was directed to. There are Scriptures that were written for us, and others that were written to us. Sound exegesis helps us determine which is which.

Most of the Old Testament and the gospels were written for us, but not necessarily to us. The verse "Judas went out and hanged himself" is written for us to show the consequence of betraying Jesus and the overwhelming guilt such a person has that he cannot come to repentance and his only way out is suicide. But we also see that Judas did not have a full understanding of the grace of God, and forgiveness was there for him if he had fallen before God and sought mercy, because we see in another verse that "all sin and iniquity shall be forgiven of men." But the verse is not an instruction for us that if we become so overcome with guilt that we should go out and hang ourselves.

But in 1 Corinthians 1, we see that Paul wrote the letter not only to the Corinthian church, but to all Christians everywhere. This means that the letter is written to us, containing instructions and recommendations for us to follow.

Much of the teaching of Jesus in the gospels was to the unconverted Jews who were still under the law. That is why He approved when the rich young ruler told Him that he had followed the Commandments from his youth up. This is not a contradiction to Paul's teaching that no one is justified by observing the Law. It all hangs on when and who Jesus was speaking to, and when and who Paul was writing to. Jesus was speaking to Jews still under the Old Covenant where observing the Law and sacrifices was still the path to righteousness before God. Paul was writing to New Covenant folk who were born again of the Spirit of God, and who were given the righteousness of Christ.

The mistake that many do is to take Old Covenant Scriptures and directly apply them as instructions to New Covenant people. Old Covenant instructions involved an eye for an eye, but New Covenant is to forgive our enemies and not require retribution from them.

For these reasons, to fully understand Scripture, there needs to be the study of the environment, culture and audience to be able to determine what it meant to those who listened to it when it was first presented to them. When we do that, we discover that the particular Scriptures may not directly apply to us because we are not living in Old Testament Israel or during the time of Jesus in Judeah under Roman occupation. But we can learn much from them so we don't make the same mistakes as others did.

What I learned from Peter walking on the water to Jesus, was that all the other disciples never had to courage or faith to get out of the boat, when in fact, all of them could have got out of the boat and walked on the water to Jesus. Using hermeneutics (the skill of interpreting Scripture), we can determine for ourselves the level of our faith in Christ, and how much we actually do depend on the Lord when He calls us to a particular task for ministry. Are we prepared to "get out of boat" and start walking, or we grimly hanging on in the boat, too afraid to step out in faith and trust in the Lord?

Reactions: JohnDB