HOW TO RECOGNIZE A REAL TEACHER PART 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These accounts coincide with each other.

More than one centurion.

I'm not sure of the significance of this to your point.

By all means tell us what you are speaking of and the extrabiblical knowledge that leads you to believe that Jesus spoke on the issue of abortion. I know that it is adequately dealt with in Proverbs 31:8-9 and that there is also a passage in the Pentateuch that speaks on the issue; which says that if a pregnant woman is injured by a blow and complications ensue, the punishment will be eye for eye and tooth for tooth (concerning the injury to the baby and what will be required of the one inflicting the injjury).

And all of your assertions would be wrong...
There was only one centurion.
The records of Judas' death vary too widely to be coinciding truth.
And Proverbs is not Law (Torah) it is wisdom. Huge difference between the two.

Reactions: ChristisGod

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are yo contending for the idea that there are contradictions in the Bible?

Judas fell headlong into the rope of hanging and all of his bowels gushed out in the field Aceldama where the tree was located (no coincidence that it was the same field that was purchased by Judas' blood money).

There had to be more than one centurion because the accounts are too far apart to be speaking of the same centurion.

And I said that there is also a passage in the Pentateuch that speaks on the issue of abortion. I did not say that it was located in Proverbs.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are yo contending for the idea that there are contradictions in the Bible?

Judas fell headlong into the rope of hanging and all of his bowels gushed out in the field Aceldama where the tree was located (no coincidence that it was the same field that was purchased by Judas' blood money).

There had to be more than one centurion because the accounts are too far apart to be speaking of the same centurion.

And I said that there is also a passage in the Pentateuch that speaks on the issue of abortion. I did not say that it was located in Proverbs.
Because one of the curses upon the Israelites concerned their unborn babies.

Context is King...and if you don't have context then there's nothing to base a faith upon other than emotions and public sentiment.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ditto and yes the law is in the Pentateuch not the psalms/proverbs

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also...
Romans and Greeks hated the Jews. The two sides considered the other disgusting on a normal basis.
A centurion believing in Judaism is way outside the norm. The existence of two centurion believers in Judaism is way beyond the scope of reason. Especially a centurion. You didn't rise up through the ranks by risking the ire of your superior officers.

One is sufficient...but the same story told from two perspectives is completely reasonable if you understand the culture.
The same is true for Judas' death.

Then we have the disparities in the story of the "Sending of the 12".
Mark's account differs extremely from the other accounts...and only "extra biblical knowledge" explains the reason.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there's the whole reason why Peter climbed out of the boat to walk on water...why would such a notion even occur to him to try that?
Peter knew that he wasn't God like Jesus was. Why would Peter even think to do such a thing?

Reactions: marks

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there's the whole reason why Peter climbed out of the boat to walk on water...why would such a notion even occur to him to try that?
Peter knew that he wasn't God like Jesus was. Why would Peter even think to do such a thing?
I'm sure the self proclaimed pastor/teacher on the forum will enlighten us all. :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you train/teach someone knowing that what you are teaching them will have the results that befell Peter and the other Apostles. (At least physically)
They were beaten and tortured. They often went hungry and thirsty. They were despised by every authority figure. People lost their homes and livelihoods. Sure it's the truth...but ignorance is bliss.
Hi John,

Here's what I think. Our minds are renewed according to the knowledge of our Creator. The more we learn about God, the more our minds are renewed. Our minds are being renewed so that we will trust God more consistently, and that faith in God will be what keeps us latched onto Him during the tough times.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Practical application from primarily the epistles.

I also do not ignore historical details that can be found in the Bible itself.

I'm just saying that I don't like to go outside of the Bible for historical details that may convolute the message of the Bible.

I heard of one instance where a person taught that something in Revelation had to do with some kind of historical detail; and when all was said and done with the teaching, the original application of the passage was completely done away with. The historical information was used to discount the practical application of what is written in holy scripture.

I would prefer to keep the application and I don't care for that extrabiblical information if it is going to do that to the teaching of the Bible.
I heard a number of people come up with what seem to me to be very odd interpretions of Scripture with "historical details" in their foundation. I agree we are better off using Scripture to interpret Scripture.

Much love!

Reactions: justbyfaith

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much can be gleaned out of the holy scriptures merely by reading them directly.

Sometimes extrabiblical information can even convolute the meaning so that the application is lost to the reader; as I have told you.

You can keep your opinion and I will keep mine. I believe that the holy scriptures are sufficient and that extrabiblical information is not needed in order to have solid application...as a matter of fact such information can indeed convolute the message; as I have told you.
Personally, I want to know the Bible. Other info is incidental to me.

Much love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard a number of people come up with what seem to me to be very odd interpretions of Scripture with "historical details" in their foundation. I agree we are better off using Scripture to interpret Scripture.

Much love!
I'm not aware of anyone rejecting the concept of Scripture interpreting Scripture are you ?

If so I must of missed that post.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
horticulture examples

The parable of the sower
The cursed Fig Tree
tilling the ground
the good seed
a good tree bears good fruit
the fruit of the spirit
abiding in the vine
you are the branches
the olive branch

Genesis 2
Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Genesis 3
To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

shall I go on ad nauseum ?
What do you need to know that's not contained in those passages?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said, how does knowledge of horticulture, outside of what we learn in the Bible itself, affect our understanding of the scriptures themselves.

All of those are examples of things that we can learn about horticulture from the Bible.
Exactly! The Bible itself tells us the thorns choke out the seed. I don't need a gardening book to understand that!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do you have a garden?
do you grow fruit trees ?
do you cultivate the soil ?
do you personally know from experience horticulture ?
do you know how to graft ?
do you know how to prune ?
do you know how to feed and nourish the soil ?

hope this helps !!!
All of these, yes, although I don't currently have a garden. But even so, the Bible contains within itself what we need to know in order to correctly understand it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This analogy breaks down at the most basic level.

A car has wheels on it and also a steering wheel; and in examining the car It is easy to make the conclusion that the wheels are intended to be for moving the vehicle and that the steering wheel is for turning the wheels. I might also be able to ascertain, merely by looking at the car, that the gas pedal is to make it go and the brake pedal is to make it stop.
Not to mention, nothing else is the Bible, God's spiritual communication to man. No other body of knowledge is like it.

Much love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I don't need to know anything, why do you ask ?

If you are not a mechanic do you understand how to diagnose you car ?
If you are not a brain surgeon are you capable if diagnosing your brain ?
If you are not a carpenter/electrician are you able to build you house to code without knowledge of the skills required ?
If you do not know horticulture and have never studied it are you able to grow crops successfully ?

Does God operate in a human vacuum ?
Does knowledge have any validity for the farmer ?

The farmer knows just what to do, for God has given him understanding. … The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is a wonderful teacher and he gives the farmer great wisdom.Isaiah 28:26-29

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be clear to anyone looking at the whole of the car that that is what the car is for.
I suppose we could compare life to the car, and the Bible to the car manual. Incomplete reading may leave you not understanding what you can do with your car. But just the same, you don't need to know plastics composition to turn on the wipers, or metal machining to step on the brakes.

You need to know what's in the handbook.

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

In times past...
Printed materials didn't exist...paper and ink were exorbitantly expensive. Books and writing were luxury items.
And no one who was wealthy enough to purchase such things ever became that way by wasting money. People expected value for their money.

So, when books were written, they left out the "of course" types of information that fills today's literature. The very subjects that people 3500 years ago would know off the top of their heads but are unrecognizable in today's society.

For example if I said that I had a frog in my throat today... you would not picture that I had an amphibian that was choking me.

Same thing goes with expressions from 2,000 to 5,000 years ago.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of these, yes, although I don't currently have a garden. But even so, the Bible contains within itself what we need to know in order to correctly understand it.

Much love!
So would you agree your understanding of those concepts are greatly understood in scripture because you know them from first hand experience ?