How to Test the Spirits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Testing the spirits, if that is what your thread is about really, is knowing who is overcome of evil, ( no belief in Jesus Christ come in the flesh/antichrist to be made to death in the flesh to live unto God) and who overcomes evil ( this whole world, is wicked) with good. ( the good Shepherd who gave His life for us to no longer die in our sins/unbelief.)...

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Commentary.

What Does it Mean to Test the Spirits​

1 John 4:1-6 identifies two different spirits. The first is called “a spirit from God,” “the Spirit of God,” and “the Spirit of Truth.” The second is identified as “the spirit of a false prophet,” “the spirit of antichrist,” and “the spirit of falsehood.”

The first is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, who leads us into the truth. The Holy Spirit will never deceive us or otherwise lead us astray. Instead, he will always lead us into the truth and a closer walk with God.

The second spirit that John mentions is a deceitful spirit, a fallen spiritual being working through a false prophet or teacher whose purpose is to lead us astray from the truth. This spirit may look and sound very appealing (2 Corinthians 11:14), but under their sheep’s skin, they are vicious wolves looking to devour the flock (Acts 20:19).

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

This verse emphasizes the importance of discernment and caution in matters of spirituality. Here's an exegesis of this verse along with cross-references:

1. **Beloved**: John addresses his audience with affection and care, indicating that what follows is important for their spiritual well-being.

2. **Do not believe every spirit**: John warns against blindly accepting every spiritual message or claim. This implies that there are deceptive influences in the spiritual realm that may lead people astray.

- **Matthew 7:15**: "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." Jesus also warned about false prophets who would deceive many.

3. **Test the spirits**: John urges believers to examine and evaluate the source of spiritual teachings or messages. This testing involves comparing them with the truths of Scripture and assessing their alignment with the character and will of God.

- **1 Thessalonians 5:21**: "But test everything; hold fast what is good." Paul similarly encourages believers to test everything and discern what is true and beneficial.

- **Acts 17:11**: "Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." The Bereans exemplified the practice of testing teachings against Scripture.

4. **To see whether they are from God**: The purpose of testing is to determine whether the source of spiritual messages or teachings is aligned with God's truth and will. This highlights the importance of discerning divine guidance from deceptive influences.

- **Galatians 1:8-9**: Paul warns against accepting any gospel contrary to what he had preached, emphasizing the importance of staying faithful to the true message of Christ.

5. **Many false prophets have gone out into the world**: John acknowledges the prevalence of false prophets who spread deceptive teachings. This serves as a further warning to exercise discernment and not be easily swayed by false claims.

- **2 Peter 2:1**: "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction." Peter also warns about false teachers and their destructive influence.

In summary, John's exhortation to test the spirits underscores the need for discernment and careful evaluation of spiritual teachings and messages to ensure they align with the truth of God's Word. This practice guards against deception and helps believers remain faithful to God's will.

Reactions: amadeus

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

This verse emphasizes the importance of discernment and caution in matters of spirituality. Here's an exegesis of this verse along with cross-references:

1. **Beloved**: John addresses his audience with affection and care, indicating that what follows is important for their spiritual well-being.

2. **Do not believe every spirit**: John warns against blindly accepting every spiritual message or claim. This implies that there are deceptive influences in the spiritual realm that may lead people astray.

- **Matthew 7:15**: "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." Jesus also warned about false prophets who would deceive many.

3. **Test the spirits**: John urges believers to examine and evaluate the source of spiritual teachings or messages. This testing involves comparing them with the truths of Scripture and assessing their alignment with the character and will of God.

- **1 Thessalonians 5:21**: "But test everything; hold fast what is good." Paul similarly encourages believers to test everything and discern what is true and beneficial.

- **Acts 17:11**: "Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." The Bereans exemplified the practice of testing teachings against Scripture.

4. **To see whether they are from God**: The purpose of testing is to determine whether the source of spiritual messages or teachings is aligned with God's truth and will. This highlights the importance of discerning divine guidance from deceptive influences.

- **Galatians 1:8-9**: Paul warns against accepting any gospel contrary to what he had preached, emphasizing the importance of staying faithful to the true message of Christ.

5. **Many false prophets have gone out into the world**: John acknowledges the prevalence of false prophets who spread deceptive teachings. This serves as a further warning to exercise discernment and not be easily swayed by false claims.

- **2 Peter 2:1**: "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction." Peter also warns about false teachers and their destructive influence.

In summary, John's exhortation to test the spirits underscores the need for discernment and careful evaluation of spiritual teachings and messages to ensure they align with the truth of God's Word. This practice guards against deception and helps believers remain faithful to God's will.
“ Spirit gives birth to spirit “.....we are Born Again of imperishable/incorruptible seed?

Our spirit is Born Again by the will of God....we aren’t Born Again in the intellect.....we are spiritual children of God....we learn of spiritual matters @Johann , because we have been Born Again of God.

Scriptural knowledge saves no one..only the Spirit of God can save us from eternal damnation..

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that God used His ability to manipulate Satan to get him to test Job by tempting him to curse God and die?

Then later God used His ability to manipulate Satan again, to get him to test Jesus by tempting him when he offered Jesus the kingdoms of this world if He would worship him?

So are you saying that God led Jesus into temptation?

Mat 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

You answered your own question with the Matthew 4:1 scripture. To be tempted by the devil. God doesnt manipulate people like you say. I dont thnk you understood my post, perhaps you should read it again? God doesnt tempt people, satan.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
“ Spirit gives birth to spirit “.....we are Born Again of imperishable/incorruptible seed?

Our spirit is Born Again by the will of God....we aren’t Born Again in the intellect.....we are spiritual children of God....we learn of spiritual matters @Johann , because we have been Born Again of God.
Thought the thread is about δοκιμαζετε τα πνευματα-not your born again status?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thought the thread is about δοκιμαζετε τα πνευματα-not your born again status?
You said we are to test the spirits.......A Born Again does that ,you must be Born Again to understand the testing of false prophets....how can you test the false spirits, without the witness ?

Who is the witness and where does he reside?

I never said it was about my Born Again status..you did.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I have a verse that says God tests us? Or even Job?

Exodus 20:20
20 “Don’t be afraid,” Moses answered them, “for God has come in this way to test you, and so that your fear of him will keep you from sinning!”.../NLT

Job 23:10
“But he knows where I am going.
And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.../NLT

Psalm 66:10
You have tested us, O God;
you have purified us like silver....NLT

There you go.

Reactions: amadeus

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You said we are to test the spirits.......A Born Again does that ,you must be Born Again to understand the testing of false prophets....how can you test the false spirits, without the witness ?

Who is the witness and where does he reside?

I never said it was about my Born Again status..you did.

1Jn 4:1 (KJV) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

believe not
*2Pe 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, as false teachers will also be among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master who bought them, bringing on themselves swift destruction.

Dt 13:1-5 [1] If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, [2] and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, “Let’s go after other gods” (which you have not known) “and let’s serve them,” [3] you shall not listen to the words of that prophet, or to that dreamer of dreams; for Yahweh your God is testing you, to know whether you love Yahweh your God with all your heart and with all your soul. [4] You shall walk after Yahweh your God, fear him, keep his commandments, and obey his voice. You shall serve him, and cling to him. [5] That prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death, because he has spoken rebellion against Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to draw you aside out of the way which Yahweh your God commanded you to walk in. So you shall remove the evil from among you.

Pr 14:15 A simple man believes everything, but the prudent man carefully considers his ways.

Je 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule by their own authority; and my people love to have it so. What will you do in the end of it?

Je 29:8-9 [8] For Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel says: “Don’t let your prophets who are among you and your diviners deceive you. Don’t listen to your dreams which you cause to be dreamed. [9] For they prophesy falsely to you in my name. I have not sent them,” says Yahweh.

Mt 7:15-16 [15] “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves. [16] By their fruits you will know them. Do you gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles?

Mt 24:4-5 [4] Jesus answered them, “Be careful that no one leads you astray. [5] For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will lead many astray.

Ro 16:18 For those who are such don’t serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the innocent.

try
*1Th 5:21 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good.

Lk 12:57 “Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?

Ac 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Ro 16:19 For your obedience has become known to all. I rejoice therefore over you. But I desire to have you wise in that which is good, but innocent in that which is evil.

1Co 14:29 Let two or three of the prophets speak, and let the others discern.

Re 2:2 “I know your works, and your toil and perseverance, and that you can’t tolerate evil men, and have tested those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and found them false.

many
*1Jn 2:18 Little children, these are the end times, and as you heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have arisen. By this we know that it is the final hour.

*2Pe 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, as false teachers will also be among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master who bought them, bringing on themselves swift destruction.

*2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who don’t confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the Antichrist.

Mt 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will lead many astray.

Mt 24:23-26 [23] “Then if any man tells you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘There!’ don’t believe it. [24] For false christs and false prophets will arise, and they will show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the chosen ones. [25] “Behold, I have told you beforehand. [26] “If therefore they tell you, ‘Behold, he is in the wilderness,’ don’t go out; or ‘Behold, he is in the inner rooms,’ don’t believe it.

Mk 13:21 Then if anyone tells you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ don’t believe it.

Lk 21:8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them.

Ac 20:29 For I know that after my departure, vicious wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

1Ti 4:1 But the Spirit says expressly that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons,

2Ti 3:13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

Reciprocal
Le 13:34 On the seventh day, the priest shall examine the itch; and behold, if the itch hasn’t spread in the skin, and its appearance isn’t deeper than the skin, then the priest shall pronounce him clean. He shall wash his clothes and be clean.

Dt 18:21 You may say in your heart, “How shall we know the word which Yahweh has not spoken?”

1Ki 13:18 He said to him, “I also am a prophet as you are; and an angel spoke to me by Yahweh’s word, saying, ‘Bring him back with you into your house, that he may eat bread and drink water.’” He lied to him.

Ne 6:12 I discerned, and behold, God had not sent him, but he pronounced this prophecy against me. Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him.

Job 26:4 To whom have you uttered words? Whose spirit came out of you?

Pr 19:27 If you stop listening to instruction, my son, you will stray from the words of knowledge.

Is 9:15 The elder and the honorable man is the head, and the prophet who teaches lies is the tail.

Je 23:16 Yahweh of Armies says, “Don’t listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They teach you vanity. They speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of Yahweh.

Je 27:14 Don’t listen to the words of the prophets who speak to you, saying, ‘You shall not serve the king of Babylon;’ for they prophesy a lie to you.

Da 11:34 Now when they fall, they will be helped with a little help; but many will join themselves to them with flatteries.

Mic 2:11 If a man walking in a spirit of falsehood lies, saying, “I will prophesy to you of wine and of strong drink,” he would be the prophet of this people.

Zep 3:4 Her prophets are arrogant and treacherous people. Her priests have profaned the sanctuary. They have done violence to the law.

Zec 13:2 It will come to pass in that day, says Yahweh of Armies, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they will be remembered no more. I will also cause the prophets and the spirit of impurity to pass out of the land.

Mt 13:47 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a dragnet that was cast into the sea and gathered some fish of every kind,

Mt 24:11 Many false prophets will arise and will lead many astray.

Mk 4:24 He said to them, “Take heed what you hear. With whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you; and more will be given to you who hear.

Mk 13:5-6 [5] Jesus, answering, began to tell them, “Be careful that no one leads you astray. [6] For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and will lead many astray.

Jn 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who hears from the Father and has learned, comes to me.

Jn 8:47 He who is of God hears the words of God. For this cause you don’t hear, because you are not of God.”

Jn 10:1 “Most certainly, I tell you, one who doesn’t enter by the door into the sheep fold, but climbs up some other way, is a thief and a robber.

Jn 16:14 He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine and will declare it to you.

Ac 13:6 When they had gone through the island to Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew whose name was Bar Jesus,

1Co 2:15 But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he himself is to be judged by no one.

1Co 12:10 and to another workings of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of languages, and to another the interpretation of languages.

1Co 14:32 The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets,

2Co 2:17 For we are not as so many, peddling the word of God. But as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God, we speak in Christ.

2Co 11:3 But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve in his craftiness, so your minds might be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2Co 11:13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as Christ’s apostles.

Ga 1:7 but there isn’t another “good news.” Only there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the Good News of Christ.

Ga 2:4 This was because of the false brothers secretly brought in, who stole in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage,

Eph 4:14 that we may no longer be children, tossed back and forth and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error;

Eph 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Born Again can NEVER fall away because they have been Born Again of imperishable seed that liveth and abideth “ FOREVER “!!!....the Spirit abideth in our hearts/ spirit.

A Born Again is not under God’s wrath we’re under His Grace.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
A Born Again can NEVER fall away because they have been Born Again of imperishable seed that liveth and abideth “ FOREVER “!!!....the Spirit abideth in our hearts/ spirit.

A Born Again is not under God’s wrath we’re under His Grace.
Quote Scriptures.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK guys you have gone off the thread.

Testing the spirits is not because God is testing us.

If you want a thread about being tempted, you could have one for that, such as the purpose of being tempted, is to overcome it.. ( not to be overcome of evil, but by good, to overcome evil)..
You should study Isaiah 10.

In that Chapter, God using the title of "the Assyria" as a 'type' for Satan, like He did in the Isaiah 30:30-33, pointing to Tophet as a symbol for the future "lake of fire".

In Isaiah 10:5, God called the "Assyrian", "the rod of Mine anger".

What that means is, that God is USING Satan as a punishing rod. Satan doesn't have any power of his own, but only what power God allows him.

And in Isaiah 10, God gives the analogy that Satan is like God's punishing stick that when He is done with that stick, He will cast it into the fire.

What does that mean in regards to this present world?

It means God allows the evil in today's world, as it is simply a part of this temporary time. If one strays, He uses Satan and his host as a means to punish. Other than that, many of the calamities we go through is just a byproduct of this present 2nd world earth age...

1 Cor 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
KJV

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1Jn 4:1 (KJV) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

believe not

Dt 13:1-5 [1] If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, [2] and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, “Let’s go after other gods” (which you have not known) “and let’s serve them,” [3] you shall not listen to the words of that prophet, or to that dreamer of dreams; for Yahweh your God is testing you, to know whether you love Yahweh your God with all your heart and with all your soul. [4] You shall walk after Yahweh your God, fear him, keep his commandments, and obey his voice. You shall serve him, and cling to him. [5] That prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death, because he has spoken rebellion against Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to draw you aside out of the way which Yahweh your God commanded you to walk in. So you shall remove the evil from among you.

Pr 14:15 A simple man believes everything, but the prudent man carefully considers his ways.

Je 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule by their own authority; and my people love to have it so. What will you do in the end of it?

Je 29:8-9 [8] For Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel says: “Don’t let your prophets who are among you and your diviners deceive you. Don’t listen to your dreams which you cause to be dreamed. [9] For they prophesy falsely to you in my name. I have not sent them,” says Yahweh.

Mt 7:15-16 [15] “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves. [16] By their fruits you will know them. Do you gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles?

Mt 24:4-5 [4] Jesus answered them, “Be careful that no one leads you astray. [5] For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will lead many astray.

Ro 16:18 For those who are such don’t serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the innocent.

try
*1Th 5:21 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good.

Lk 12:57 “Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?

Ac 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Ro 16:19 For your obedience has become known to all. I rejoice therefore over you. But I desire to have you wise in that which is good, but innocent in that which is evil.

1Co 14:29 Let two or three of the prophets speak, and let the others discern.

Re 2:2 “I know your works, and your toil and perseverance, and that you can’t tolerate evil men, and have tested those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and found them false.

many
*1Jn 2:18 Little children, these are the end times, and as you heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have arisen. By this we know that it is the final hour.

*2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who don’t confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the Antichrist.

Mt 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will lead many astray.

Mt 24:23-26 [23] “Then if any man tells you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘There!’ don’t believe it. [24] For false christs and false prophets will arise, and they will show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the chosen ones. [25] “Behold, I have told you beforehand. [26] “If therefore they tell you, ‘Behold, he is in the wilderness,’ don’t go out; or ‘Behold, he is in the inner rooms,’ don’t believe it.

Mk 13:21 Then if anyone tells you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ don’t believe it.

Lk 21:8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them.

Ac 20:29 For I know that after my departure, vicious wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

I have quoted scripture....A Born Again has been Born Again of imperishable seed...” That liveth and abideth forever......if you aren’t Born Again then you wouldn’t understand that scripture?

King James Version​

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Quote Scriptures.
Here is scripture.

Please explain what God’s word here means?

1 Peter 1:23
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

New Living Translation
For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.

English Standard Version
since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;

Berean Standard Bible
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

Berean Literal Bible
having been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, by the living and abiding word of God,

King James Bible
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

King James Version​

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
What has this to do with testing the spirits?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What has this to do with testing the spirits?
It has everything to do with testing the false spirits.

How can “ you” test the false prophets without being Born Again of imperishable seed?

What does being Born Of Imperishable seed mean?

To test the false spirits one must be Born Again by the Living Spirit Of God.

Biblical knowledge does not make one Born Again....only God via His Spirit can bring your spirit Alive ....

Gods Living word that he witnesses to our spirit via His Spirit, must line up with His written word?

The written word without the Living word of God is void of Gods truth.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It has everything to do with testing the false spirits.

What does being Born Of Imperishable seed mean?
No-the chapter does not even mention the dokimazete of the pneumata-

from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
4:1 "do not believe" This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process. The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit"

Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits"
This is a Present active imperative.
This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

"because many false prophets have gone out into the world"
This is a perfect active indicative
(cf. Jer. 14:14; 23:21; 29:8; Matt. 7:15; 24:11,24; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:18-19,24; 3:7; 2 John 7). The implication is that they have left the church (house churches), yet continue to claim that they speak for God.

4:2 "By this you know the Spirit of God"
This grammatical form is either a present active indicative (a statement) or present active imperative (a command). This same ambiguity of form is in "abide," 2:27 and "know," 2:29. The Holy Spirit always magnifies Jesus (cf. John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13-15). This same test can be seen in Paul's writings in 1 Cor. 12:3.

"every spirit that confesses" This is a present active indicative which points to a continuing profession, not a past affirmation of faith. The Greek term "confess" is a compound from "the same" and "to speak," meaning "to say the same thing." This is a recurrent theme in 1 John (cf. 1 John 1:9; 2:23; 4:2-3; 4:15; John 9:22; 2 John 7). This term implies specific, public, vocal acknowledgment of one's affirmation of and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ. See Special Topic at John 9:22.

"that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God" This is a perfect active participle. This is the essential doctrinal test for the false teachers (i.e., Gnostics) whom John was combating in this book. Its basic assertion is that Jesus is fully human (i.e., flesh, which the Gnostics denied) as well as fully God (cf. 1 John 1:1-4; 2 John 7; John 1:14; 1 Tim. 3:16). The perfect tense affirms that Jesus' humanity was not temporary, but permanent. This was not a minor issue. Jesus is truly one with humanity and one with God.

4:3 "every spirit that does not confess Jesus" It is theologically interesting that the old Latin version of the NT and the Patristic writers, Clement, Origen of Alexandria, Irenaeus, and Tertullian have leui (looses), which implies "separating Jesus," apparently into a human spirit and a separate divine spirit which so characterized second century Gnostic writings. But this is a textual addition which reflects the early church's life and death struggle with heresy (see Bart Erhart, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, pp. 125-135).
"the spirit of the antichrist" Here the term (cf. 1 John 2:18-25) is used as a denier of Christ, not an attempt to usurp His position.

Want to give it another go?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No-the chapter does not even mention the dokimazete of the pneumata-

from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
4:1 "do not believe" This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process. The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit"
Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits"
This is a Present active imperative. This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

"because many false prophets have gone out into the world"
This is a perfect active indicative
(cf. Jer. 14:14; 23:21; 29:8; Matt. 7:15; 24:11,24; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:18-19,24; 3:7; 2 John 7). The implication is that they have left the church (house churches), yet continue to claim that they speak for God.

4:2 "By this you know the Spirit of God"
This grammatical form is either a present active indicative (a statement) or present active imperative (a command). This same ambiguity of form is in "abide," 2:27 and "know," 2:29. The Holy Spirit always magnifies Jesus (cf. John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13-15). This same test can be seen in Paul's writings in 1 Cor. 12:3.

"every spirit that confesses" This is a present active indicative which points to a continuing profession, not a past affirmation of faith. The Greek term "confess" is a compound from "the same" and "to speak," meaning "to say the same thing." This is a recurrent theme in 1 John (cf. 1 John 1:9; 2:23; 4:2-3; 4:15; John 9:22; 2 John 7). This term implies specific, public, vocal acknowledgment of one's affirmation of and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ. See Special Topic at John 9:22.

"that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God" This is a perfect active participle. This is the essential doctrinal test for the false teachers (i.e., Gnostics) whom John was combating in this book. Its basic assertion is that Jesus is fully human (i.e., flesh, which the Gnostics denied) as well as fully God (cf. 1 John 1:1-4; 2 John 7; John 1:14; 1 Tim. 3:16). The perfect tense affirms that Jesus' humanity was not temporary, but permanent. This was not a minor issue. Jesus is truly one with humanity and one with God.

4:3 "every spirit that does not confess Jesus" It is theologically interesting that the old Latin version of the NT and the Patristic writers, Clement, Origen of Alexandria, Irenaeus, and Tertullian have leui (looses), which implies "separating Jesus," apparently into a human spirit and a separate divine spirit which so characterized second century Gnostic writings. But this is a textual addition which reflects the early church's life and death struggle with heresy (see Bart Erhart, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, pp. 125-135).
"the spirit of the antichrist" Here the term (cf. 1 John 2:18-25) is used as a denier of Christ, not an attempt to usurp His position.

Want to give it another go?
You really aren’t explaining yourself or what it means to be Born Again of imperishable seed.

All you do is post scripture....

Are you Born Again?

We communicate with God via His Spirit that indwells our spirit....we are spiritual children.....therefore communicate via His Spirit...His Spirit witnesses Gods truth to our spirit.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You really aren’t explaining yourself or what it means to be Born Again of imperishable seed.

Are you Born Again?

Are you Born Again?
The OP is about how to test the spirits so I posted accordingly for the edification of the somati of Christ Jesus-you, however, are all over the place.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20:20
20 “Don’t be afraid,” Moses answered them, “for God has come in this way to test you, and so that your fear of him will keep you from sinning!”.../NLT

Job 23:10
“But he knows where I am going.
And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.../NLT

Psalm 66:10
You have tested us, O God;
you have purified us like silver....NLT

There you go.
Just as I thought. Nothing in the New Testament about us who have the spirit of Christ.

• Haha
Reactions: MA2444

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The OP is about how to test the spirits so I posted accordingly for the edification of the somati of Christ Jesus-you, however, are all over the place.
You asked me to post scripture, saying we can never fall away, I did....we are Born Again of imperishable seed...” that liveth and abideth forever!!...

Where does the seed of God liveth and abideth forever

If you aren’t Born Again of imperishable seed...then you would have no spiritual understanding of what imperishable seed means.

Scripture needs to be interpreted....by the Spirit of God who brings his word to our understanding in the Spirit.

If one has been Born Again, then by the Spirit they should be able to interpret Gods written word, as we understand His word in our spirit....because we are His Spiritual Children......

Bye,bye....

Last edited: