How To Understand 1 Corinthians 14th Chapter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
He and several others here have never listened to that, and never will. They fancy themselves to be divine teachers of the rest of us people who aren't as blessed as they are, to be told all truths by The Holy Spirit.
ha i can certainly relate myself lol, that Holy of Holies feels like home dunnit?
Especially in the evening for me for some reason. In the a.m. i am more humble...or maybe just faking it better, dunno

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is so, how do you interpret this?
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (v. 28).

Just as it says. If there is no one with the gift of interpretation, then the one with the gift of tongues is to be silent in the church. But he can still exercise his gift between himself and God.

Stranger

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is if people are interested when they join they will follow you. They can go to your profile and pull up all your thread-posts. It's just good forum etiquette to get to the point and be brief.

That is base on the assumption that new members are gods and know who to follow once they join up? I don't think so.

Besides, don't thread posts only go to recent posts and as far as 10 pages but not necessarily listing your thread contents?

Reactions: Nancy

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not up to the believer with the gift of tongues to supply the interpreter. That comes from God. If God doesn't supply it, then blame Him. In the mean time, the believer can exercise his gift between himself and God.

Stranger

That is why you are not reading 1 Corinthians 14:28 rightly. No one can hold a church service in decency and order when people are talking or murmuring around them and so there is no way you can make a believer to be silent when there is no interpretation and yet still allow him to speak to himself and to God.

If the order is for two or three speak in tongues, one by one..and then one interprets.... then there can be no body else talking or whispering, let alone speaking in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

So you are not reading the latter part of verse 28 rightly as if the church is allowing believers to speak in tongues when there is no interpretation. That is an awful lot of noise in the assembly that has no microphone let alone a surround sound system for everybody to hear while ignoring the decency of order by course in how they were to operate the gifts of the Spirit.

I already told you what verse 28 actually meant, but I am showing you how it cannot mean what YOU say it mean which many deceived tongue speakers take it to mean. Parroting what you had picked up from them is not wise when you are not really proving all things by that scripture in context.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You posted this exact same post to me in the other thread dealing with tongues. Again, the false doesn't negate the true. There are false prophets. That doesn't mean there are not real prophets. There are false teachers. That doesn't mean there are not real teachers. See?

Stranger

Prophets do not mimic false prophets; teachers do not mimic false teachers. The Holy Spirit does not mimic what the spirits in the world does.

God's gift of tongues which is of other men's lips to speak unto the people will not mimic the supernatural tongue in the world as vain & profane babbling.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question for those who have this belief. Something to seriously ponder.

I am hoping the Lord is ministering since it is on Him to cause the increase. It is a spiritual war against principality and the spiritual wickedness in high realm. Prayer is needed.....especially for help for me to refrain from those that have made up their minds and are not pondering at all. Thanks, bro.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pray to Jesus? Sorry, what?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why you are not reading 1 Corinthians 14:28 rightly. No one can hold a church service in decency and order when people are talking or murmuring around them and so there is no way you can make a believer to be silent when there is no interpretation and yet still allow him to speak to himself and to God.

If the order is for two or three speak in tongues, one by one..and then one interprets.... then there can be no body else talking or whispering, let alone speaking in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

So you are not reading the latter part of verse 28 rightly as if the church is allowing believers to speak in tongues when there is no interpretation. That is an awful lot of noise in the assembly that has no microphone let alone a surround sound system for everybody to hear while ignoring the decency of order by course in how they were to operate the gifts of the Spirit.

I already told you what verse 28 actually meant, but I am showing you how it cannot mean what YOU say it mean which many deceived tongue speakers take it to mean. Parroting what you had picked up from them is not wise when you are not really proving all things by that scripture in context.

Again, what I said is it is not up to the one with the gift of tongues to provide an interpreter. That is up to God.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophets do not mimic false prophets; teachers do not mimic false teachers. The Holy Spirit does not mimic what the spirits in the world does.

God's gift of tongues which is of other men's lips to speak unto the people will not mimic the supernatural tongue in the world as vain & profane babbling.

So? Those with the real gift of tongues do not mimic those who falsely exercise the gift of tongues.

Again, just because there are false prophets doesn't mean the real prophets don't exist.

Stranger

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So? Those with the real gift of tongues do not mimic those who falsely exercise the gift of tongues.

Again, just because there are false prophets doesn't mean the real prophets don't exist.

Stranger

Wrong application to what I am saying again.

The only way you can tell the real God's gift of tongues from the supernatural tongue as found in the world is that God's gift of tongues will be understood by foreigners and be interpreted in the assembly.

For the individual believer to KNOW that he does not have the world's supernatural gift of tongues that existed before Pentecost is by how the real God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to speak unto the people, and thus can never for private use.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong application to what I am saying again.

The only way you can tell the real God's gift of tongues from the supernatural tongue as found in the world is that God's gift of tongues will be understood by foreigners and be interpreted in the assembly.

For the individual believer to KNOW that he does not have the world's supernatural gift of tongues that existed before Pentecost is by how the real God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to speak unto the people, and thus can never for private use.

No it's not. It's a perfect application.

The real gift of tongues is a supernatural gift. Where does it say foreigners must understand the gift of tongues? How silly is that.

Your last statement, as others, makes no sense.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
well, does not say "Pray to Me" anywhere, and you know the concept is directly contradicted by Jesus in other Passages too right

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, does not say "Pray to Me" anywhere, and you know the concept is directly contradicted by Jesus in other Passages too right

Who is answering prayers since only God answers prayers?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it's not. It's a perfect application.

It is not the same application. You are saying that I am saying in effect that there is no God and therefore no devil.

I am saying that there is a devil and there is the God.

The real gift of tongues is a supernatural gift.

I am saying there is a devil's tongue that existed before Pentecost and then there is the real God's gift of tongues which is for God to speak thru believers unto the people in their native tongues like in Acts 2nd chapter.

Where does it say foreigners must understand the gift of tongues? How silly is that.

Because that is what God's gift of tongues is for in speaking thru the believers to foreigners like in Acts 2. That is why when tongues are manifested in the assembly, it is to come with interpretation from another believer.

Your last statement, as others, makes no sense.

Stranger

You definitely need prayers, brother since only Jesus can enable you to receive His wisdom & His lines of discernment.

Here are some questions for you, brother.

Do you speak in tongues?

Had you ever spoken in tongues, even at one time?

Had you ever experienced a supernatural phenomenon during your life as a saved believer where you felt what you believed was the Holy Ghost coming over you?

Had you ever experienced loss of self control by falling backwards or whatever by any supernatural phenomenon?

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The real gift of tongues is a supernatural gift. Where does it say foreigners must understand the gift of tongues? How silly is that.
While you won't find those exact words in the Bible, the intent and purpose of tongues (literally "languages" for glossais or dialektos) was to show Jews speaking foreign languages (hence foreigners) that God was enabling the disciples and apostles of Christ to speak foreign languages supernaturally (which were the native languages of the foreigners) to establish the divine origin of the Gospel. Please note:

ACTS 2
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue [language], wherein we were born?
9 (1) Parthians, and (2) Medes, and (3) Elamites, and (4) the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in (5) Judaea, and (6) Cappadocia, in (7) Pontus, and (8) Asia,
10 (9) Phrygia, and (10)Pamphylia, in (11) Egypt, and in (12) the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and (13) strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 (14) Cretes and (15) Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues [languages] the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

At least fifteen foreign languages were spoken by plain, unlearned Galileans, by the power of the Holy Spirit, and each language was clearly understood by those Jews who spoke the individual languages. But in the 17th century "tongues" was another meaning of "languages", so today we have all this confusion about tongues. But in Scripture "tongues" simple means languages (when not applied to the actual tongue).

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an interesting dilemma:

15 different languages were being dealt with there in Acts 2 that day. Did each hearer hear , oh say, James... speaking in their language at the same time the foreigner next to them heard James speaking in HIS language? Or did they have to wait until someone else got up to speak in THEIR particular language?

If they all gave an average sermon of 40 minutes in one language, and then they shut up so the next guy could be heard speaking yet another language..... it would have taken 10 hours to preach to everyone (not counting the mass of Hebrews also listening for a word.) Wow! That would have left most of the people listening to languages they couldn't understand for 9 hours and 20 minutes..... because they would have only understood 40 minutes of the total of all the speaking.

Yet, the members of the audience turned to one another, marveling that ALL OF THEM were (seemingly simultaneously) hearing what was being spoken in each of their own 15 different languages. (And, don't even TRY to claim 15 different guys were all speaking 15 different languages to more than 3,000 people (they would have all had to have been shouting at the top of their lungs) at the same moment.

And, then, in that same day, the disciples had to somehow get 3,000 of those guys down to the river and get them baptized.

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the same application. You are saying that I am saying in effect that there is no God and therefore no devil.

I am saying that there is a devil and there is the God.

I am saying there is a devil's tongue that existed before Pentecost and then there is the real God's gift of tongues which is for God to speak thru believers unto the people in their native tongues like in Acts 2nd chapter.

Because that is what God's gift of tongues is for in speaking thru the believers to foreigners like in Acts 2. That is why when tongues are manifested in the assembly, it is to come with interpretation from another believer.

You definitely need prayers, brother since only Jesus can enable you to receive His wisdom & His lines of discernment.

Here are some questions for you, brother.

Do you speak in tongues?

Had you ever spoken in tongues, even at one time?

Had you ever experienced a supernatural phenomenon during your life as a saved believer where you felt what you believed was the Holy Ghost coming over you?

Had you ever experienced loss of self control by falling backwards or whatever by any supernatural phenomenon?

There is God and there is the devil. We agree.

Thus you have God doing and the devil impersonating.

What makes you think the devil can't impersonate languages of men? What makes you think he can't impersonate the interpretation of tongues?

I appreciate all prayers.

Stranger

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And, then, in that same day, the disciples had to somehow get 3,000 of those guys down to the river and get them baptized.
There's no need to speculate. First they all heard "the wonderful works of God" (not described in detail) all at once, all in their own languages, and then they heard Peter preaching the Gospel [presumably in either Hebrew, or Aramaic, possibly in Greek (which all would have understood since Greek was the lingua franca of the Roman Empire at that time)]. It was only after Peter preached that 3,000 Jews responded to the Gospel and were saved and baptized the same day. Thousands more were saved subsequently.

The beauty of Scripture is that God the Holy Spirit is always succinct, and does not waste words, or go into lengthy dissertations (as do many scholars and *learned men*). This was also the pattern of Christ -- brief and to the point. But always powerful.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While you won't find those exact words in the Bible, the intent and purpose of tongues (literally "languages" for glossais or dialektos) was to show Jews speaking foreign languages (hence foreigners) that God was enabling the disciples and apostles of Christ to speak foreign languages supernaturally (which were the native languages of the foreigners) to establish the divine origin of the Gospel. Please note:

ACTS 2
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue [language], wherein we were born?
9 (1) Parthians, and (2) Medes, and (3) Elamites, and (4) the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in (5) Judaea, and (6) Cappadocia, in (7) Pontus, and (8) Asia,
10 (9) Phrygia, and (10)Pamphylia, in (11) Egypt, and in (12) the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and (13) strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 (14) Cretes and (15) Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues [languages] the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

At least fifteen foreign languages were spoken by plain, unlearned Galileans, by the power of the Holy Spirit, and each language was clearly understood by those Jews who spoke the individual languages. But in the 17th century "tongues" was another meaning of "languages", so today we have all this confusion about tongues. But in Scripture "tongues" simple means languages (when not applied to the actual tongue).

They spoke with other tongues. (Acts 2:4)
The believers heard them in their own language. (Acts 2:5-8)

The non-believers didn't understand. (Acts 2:13)

In other words, the believing heard and the non-believing didn't. The tongues the disciples spoke in were not languages of men. Those who had ears to hear, heard.

Stranger