How To Understand 1 Corinthians 14th Chapter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What makes you think the devil can't impersonate languages of men? What makes you think he can't impersonate the interpretation of tongues?
Actually *ecstatic utterances*were common among the pagans and the shamans. Their origin would be with Satan. The Sybilline Oracles are a good example.

"The Sibylline Oracles (Latin: Oracula Sibyllina; sometimes called the pseudo-Sibylline Oracles) are a collection of oracular utterances written in Greek hexameters ascribed to the Sibyls, prophetesses who uttered divine revelations in a frenzied state." (Wikipedia)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The non-believers didn't understand. (Acts 2:13)
That's not what is stated. The non-believers simply mocked, but they must have heard exactly what everyone heard.

This is similar to the preaching of the Gospel today. If you have an audience of all non-believers, some will believe the Gospel, while others may mock or be skeptical (see Acts 15). But they will all hear the Gospel message.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually *ecstatic utterances*were common among the pagans and the shamans. Their origin would be with Satan. The Sybilline Oracles are a good example.

"The Sibylline Oracles (Latin: Oracula Sibyllina; sometimes called the pseudo-Sibylline Oracles) are a collection of oracular utterances written in Greek hexameters ascribed to the Sibyls, prophetesses who uttered divine revelations in a frenzied state." (Wikipedia)

Your point?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what is stated. The non-believers simply mocked, but they must have heard exactly what everyone heard.

This is similar to the preaching of the Gospel today. If you have an audience of all non-believers, some will believe the Gospel, while others may mock or be skeptical (see Acts 15). But they will all hear the Gospel message.

That is not what is said. They who mocked are in contrast to those who understood. The point being that the tongues spoken were not known languages. And God gave his people ears to hear.

Stranger

Reactions: Willie T

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your point?
Satan has counterfeit tongues, so all tongue-speaking is not necessarily from the Holy Spirit.

"Speaking in glossolalia actually predates the day of Pentecost in the New Testament and history records occasions of this ecstatic tongues being used by non believers. Back in 1100BC, a young "amen" worshiper became possessed by a "god" and began to make sounds just like the ecstatic tongues we hear today. Now when someone is possessed by a "god", it can only mean one thing, and that is they were possessed by a demon, or Satan. So the force behind this early incident of glossolalia was Satan."

http://www.bible-speaking-in-tongues.com/history-ecstatic-tongues.html

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is God and there is the devil. We agree.

Thus you have God doing and the devil impersonating.

What makes you think the devil can't impersonate languages of men? What makes you think he can't impersonate the interpretation of tongues?

I appreciate all prayers.

Stranger

Point is, the devil was the origin of vain and profane babbling for why there is no interpretation and that kind of supernatural tongue can be found in world's religions, idolatries, cults in christianity, and not just the occult and that existed before Pentecost's came with God's gift of tongues.

That is why God would not and cannot mimick the devil's supernatural tongue for how can God call sinners from that kind of tongues in repentance if hsi gift of tongues for speaking unto the people can suddenly be the same as the devil's tongue? Discern that with Him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And God gave his people ears to hear.
Actually the Bible says that they would NOT hear even if they heard supernatural tongues. So you have it backwards in all respects.

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. (Isa 28:11,12)

Three thousand was only a small fraction of the total numbers of Jews in Jerusalem.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no need to speculate. First they all heard "the wonderful works of God" (not described in detail) all at once, all in their own languages, and then they heard Peter preaching the Gospel [presumably in either Hebrew, or Aramaic, possibly in Greek (which all would have understood since Greek was the lingua franca of the Roman Empire at that time)]. It was only after Peter preached that 3,000 Jews responded to the Gospel and were saved and baptized the same day. Thousands more were saved subsequently.

The beauty of Scripture is that God the Holy Spirit is always succinct, and does not waste words, or go into lengthy dissertations (as do many scholars and *learned men*). This was also the pattern of Christ -- brief and to the point. But always powerful.
Basically, you actually said nothing in all that. Why bother with it?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan has counterfeit tongues, so all tongue-speaking is not necessarily from the Holy Spirit.

"Speaking in glossolalia actually predates the day of Pentecost in the New Testament and history records occasions of this ecstatic tongues being used by non believers. Back in 1100BC, a young "amen" worshiper became possessed by a "god" and began to make sounds just like the ecstatic tongues we hear today. Now when someone is possessed by a "god", it can only mean one thing, and that is they were possessed by a demon, or Satan. So the force behind this early incident of glossolalia was Satan."

http://www.bible-speaking-in-tongues.com/history-ecstatic-tongues.html

satan has a lot of counterfeit things. So?

Stranger

Reactions: Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point is, the devil was the origin of vain and profane babbling for why there is no interpretation and that kind of supernatural tongue can be found in world's religions, idolatries, cults in christianity, and not just the occult and that existed before Pentecost's came with God's gift of tongues.

That is why God would not and cannot mimick the devil's supernatural tongue for how can God call sinners from that kind of tongues in repentance if hsi gift of tongues for speaking unto the people can suddenly be the same as the devil's tongue? Discern that with Him.

Speaking in tongues from the Holy Spirit is not vain and profane babbling.

You didn't answer my questions. What makes you think satan cannot mimick foreign languages? What makes you think he cannot mimick the interpretation of tongues? What then?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Bible says that they would NOT hear even if they heard supernatural tongues. So you have it backwards in all respects.

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. (Isa 28:11,12)

Three thousand was only a small fraction of the total numbers of Jews in Jerusalem.

I don't know how I have it backwards. The rebellious would not hear. In (Acts 2) the disciples spoke in tongues and the believers heard. But the rebellious mocked and did not hear.

Stranger

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in tongues from the Holy Spirit is not vain and profane babbling.

Unfortunately, you can't prove that if you believe tongues are for private use, now can you?

You didn't answer my questions. What makes you think satan cannot mimick foreign languages? What makes you think he cannot mimick the interpretation of tongues? What then?

Stranger

I am sure you can get liars that say they are speaking in tongues and be able to interpret their own tongues when in actuality it is a second language, but the kicker here is that God would never mimic Satan's kind of tongues which Satan's tongue is never a foreign language but just gibberish nonsense. FYI

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, you can't prove that if you believe tongues are for private use, now can you?

I am sure you can get liars that say they are speaking in tongues and be able to interpret their own tongues when in actuality it is a second language, but the kicker here is that God would never mimic Satan's kind of tongues which Satan's tongue is never a foreign language but just gibberish nonsense. FYI

I didn't say tongues are for only private use.

Exactly right, satan can imitiate tongues and interpretation of tongues. That doesn't take away from the real gift of tongues. I never said God mimic's anyone. You're the one saying that.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Who is answering prayers since only God answers prayers?
? don't be silly, you answer prayers alla time, i bet. You have kids? etc?

pray was not a religious word when the KJV was written, and we have since folded "supplications to God" in with it i guess.
"I pray" simply means "I wish."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
12I assure you: The one who believes in Me will also do the works that I do. And he will do even greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.

i understand what you believe you are reading, but wadr we could set up any number of thought experiments or even tests wherein you are going to be disappointed in your interpretation, ok? Does God answer prayer? Certainly. Is Jesus saying that He will answer any prayers right then--just like you can--and also in the future, after He has ascended back to the Father? Other Scripture makes that highly unlikely/virtually impossible, but you might believe that if you like.

however there is a better way to grasp the Lord's intent here imo, that begins with allowing v12 in to the convo, that i guess you prolly are not going to like much, at the moment anyway? But first i would wanna delineate prayers (wishes) and supplications, and we would have to have a discussion about "asking in My Name," what that means, bc i doubt it means tacking "in Jesus' Name" onto the end of a santa claus list, wadr, as we are usually taught

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say tongues are for only private use.

Exactly right, satan can imitiate tongues and interpretation of tongues. That doesn't take away from the real gift of tongues. I never said God mimic's anyone. You're the one saying that.

Stranger

Since the devil's tongues have come without interpretation as vain and profane babbling gibberish BEFORE Pentecost; for you to assign God's gift of tongues that it can ALSO be for private use IS saying God mimics the devil's tongues.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
? don't be silly, you answer prayers alla time, i bet. You have kids? etc?

pray was not a religious word when the KJV was written, and we have since folded "supplications to God" in with it i guess.
"I pray" simply means "I wish."

Look in the mirror about who is being silly. His words were right there for you to know that any prayer to God, Jesus, the Son of God answers.

You begging and praying to some executioner not to kill you is not you praying to God. Neither is you praying to your parents for some cookies.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
12I assure you: The one who believes in Me will also do the works that I do. And he will do even greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.

i understand what you believe you are reading, but wadr we could set up any number of thought experiments or even tests wherein you are going to be disappointed in your interpretation, ok? Does God answer prayer? Certainly. Is Jesus saying that He will answer any prayers right then--just like you can--and also in the future, after He has ascended back to the Father? Other Scripture makes that highly unlikely/virtually impossible, but you might believe that if you like.

however there is a better way to grasp the Lord's intent here imo, that begins with allowing v12 in to the convo, that i guess you prolly are not going to like much, at the moment anyway? But first i would wanna delineate prayers (wishes) and supplications, and we would have to have a discussion about "asking in My Name," what that means, bc i doubt it means tacking "in Jesus' Name" onto the end of a santa claus list, wadr, as we are usually taught

That is a promise from Him regarding taking them Home to the Father when He comes as the Bridegroom to collect them as stated at the beginning of that chapter in John 14:1-3 That is when those whom are worthy of that resurrection shall be like the angels that never die and they will be made higher than the angels for they will be like the Son.

So yeah... when we have been perfected in His likeness as being of the first fruits of the resurrection, then yeah... we will reign in creation, but not actually like the Creator as in creating something out of nothing by speaking it into existence.

We do not see any believer moving mountains by faith in Him yet....so...

BUT if you are referring to any work down here... the miraculous and all that... that only happens by Jesus Christ from that throne of grace thru the Holy Spirit in them at the permission of the Father in according to His will. How? Prayer and fasting... prayer is submission to God and fasting is denying you have any part in His answer so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers as previously referenced in John 14:13-14.