How today’s Popular Gospel Dishonors God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we say: God has given every person a choice to accept him or reject him. Those who reject him will suffer in hell forever. Those who accept him will enjoy heaven forever. The choice is yours.

What sinners hear: God is a bully who will torture me forever if I don’t say “uncle”. But if I say “uncle”, I can really make out forever if it's really true. I guess it’s worth the risk. Better to be insured than not.

The true gospel however is an announcement about salvation for all who can believe in Christ. Followed by the gift of the Holy Spirit through repentance and baptism.
It could (and perhaps should) be said even more plainly:

We are born into a world we only learn about by personal experience and hearsay. The establishment of so called "facts" is little more than popular opinion or winner written history. Look around you - is that really what you want to put your trust in?

The "gospel" (of Jesus Christ) that would seem to be just one of many things to put ones faith in, is actually based on a better system of understanding the truth about what life is about. In fact it is the only option that is confirmed from beginning to end - from the beginning of recorded history until the end, with prophecies and miracles. There is only one truth that has been handed down and confirmed in this way. Everything else has been or is limited to just a part of history or is complete conjecture and not based in historic facts.

The reality is: There is a God (One only), and He has a plan that everyone should learn about and benefit from. The rumors are true...In the beginning God created everything, and in the end all people will have been headed for what should be considered good, or regret. And this life we experience in the world...is temporary, while what is coming is permanent. Now is the time to learn of it. The truth has been there all along.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What sinners hear: God is a bully who will torture me forever if I don’t say “uncle”
Yes non christian do understand that from the procolnation of the gospel.
That there understanding is false does not make there understanding true.

God is not a bully. If he were then there would be force being used to compele people to believe.

Are you being a bully if you require your property to be returned to you?
Yes we are God's creation, that means we are Gods property.

Reactions: Acolyte

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But unless first born again, people will not (cannot) respond.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

they where not born again yet they responded, than they where reborn.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A cold and calloused church service also dis honors God... And whose standing behind that pulpit yawl.... Revered Polar Bear!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Eze 34:7 Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;
Eze 34:8 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, surely because my flock became a prey, and my flock became meat to every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, neither did my shepherds search for my flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not my flock;
Eze 34:9 Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;
Eze 34:10 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require my flock at their hand, and cause them to cease from feeding the flock; neither shall the shepherds feed themselves any more; for I will deliver my flock from their mouth, that they may not be meat for them.

D

Dave L

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

they where not born again yet they responded, than they where reborn.
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) (KJV 1900)

D

Dave L

Yes non christian do understand that from the procolnation of the gospel.
That there understanding is false does not make there understanding true.

God is not a bully. If he were then there would be force being used to compele people to believe.

Are you being a bully if you require your property to be returned to you?
Yes we are God's creation, that means we are Gods property.
But the problem with today's popular gospel is the issue of salvation by works. They turn the gospel into law telling people they must save themselves through obedience. The true gospel preaches salvation by grace. Whoever believes has eternal life. This is followed by repentance and baptism. That is, Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. Not those who force themselves to believe.

D

Dave L

It could (and perhaps should) be said even more plainly:

We are born into a world we only learn about by personal experience and hearsay. The establishment of so called "facts" is little more than popular opinion or winner written history. Look around you - is that really what you want to put your trust in?

The "gospel" (of Jesus Christ) that would seem to be just one of many things to put ones faith in, is actually based on a better system of understanding the truth about what life is about. In fact it is the only option that is confirmed from beginning to end - from the beginning of recorded history until the end, with prophecies and miracles. There is only one truth that has been handed down and confirmed in this way. Everything else has been or is limited to just a part of history or is complete conjecture and not based in historic facts.

The reality is: There is a God (One only), and He has a plan that everyone should learn about and benefit from. The rumors are true...In the beginning God created everything, and in the end all people will have been headed for what should be considered good, or regret. And this life we experience in the world...is temporary, while what is coming is permanent. Now is the time to learn of it. The truth has been there all along.
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: ScottA
D

Dave L

That's beside the point. Was Spurgeon presenting God as a *bully* or is that more BALONEY?
I have not read the sermon. But the idea behind your gospel is turning grace into law. You convert the gospel into law to use as an instrument for the self-righteous to use in an effort to save themselves. = God is a bully. You better do what he says or he will torture you. And if you sell yourself to him, you can live forever in pure pleasure.

The true gospel is: Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose from the dead. Whoever believes in him has eternal life. If you believe, repent and be baptized. If you must choose to believe, you do not believe, but force yourself to believe superstitiously.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What we say: God has given every person a choice to accept him or reject him. Those who reject him will suffer in hell forever. Those who accept him will enjoy heaven forever. The choice is yours.

What sinners hear: God is a bully who will torture me forever if I don’t say “uncle”. But if I say “uncle”, I can really make out forever if it's really true. I guess it’s worth the risk. Better to be insured than not.

The true gospel however is an announcement about salvation for all who can believe in Christ. Followed by the gift of the Holy Spirit through repentance and baptism.

'And many other signs truly did Jesus
in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book:
But these are written, that ye might believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;
and that believing ye might have life through His name.'

(John 20:30-31)

Hello there, @Dave L.

The essential requisite is that man might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. For, believing that they have life through His Name. This is the gospel of God concerning His Son.

Praise God! For His mercy and His grace.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Acolyte and Dave L

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Those who reject him will suffer in hell forever. Those who accept him will enjoy heaven forever. The choice is yours.
you don't know what you're talking abut Dave, sorry. You might allow a little wiggle room there ok buddy, for when you have discovered the truth, no offense

D

Dave L

you don't know what you're talking abut Dave, sorry. You might allow a little wiggle room there ok buddy, for when you have discovered the truth, no offense
Haven't you heard the "bully gospel" before? It's everywhere if you listen.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have not read the sermon. But the idea behind your gospel is turning grace into law.
Not at all. Before a person believes on the Lord Jesus Christ he or she must be fully convinced and convicted that they will face God's wrath against sin, and that is why Christ endured the wrath of God on their behalf. Therefore those who do not obey the Gospel will face eternal damnation.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mk 16:15,16)

D

Dave L

Not at all. Before a person believes on the Lord Jesus Christ he or she must be fully convinced and convicted that they will face God's wrath against sin, and that is why Christ endured the wrath of God on their behalf. Therefore those who do not obey the Gospel will face eternal damnation.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mk 16:15,16)
This is not true. Spiritually dead people think the gospel is foolishness. “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is not true. Spiritually dead people think the gospel is foolishness.
You and many others misapply that Scripture to the Gospel, when it is speaking about the deep things of God. And you had a duty to read the sermon by Spurgeon, since you have raised a straw man in this thread. You don't want people to hear about Hell and judgment, which makes you a promoter of a false Gospel.

So here is what Spurgeon said at the end of his sermon, and I trust you will learn a lesson from him:

I used to think that, if I ever had a chance to share this wondrous story of “free grace and dying love,” everybody would believe it; but I have long since learned that the heart of man is so hard, that he will sooner be damned than be saved by Christ.

Well, you must make your choice, you must make your choice for yourselves; only do me this one favor, when you have made your choice, do not blame me for having tried to persuade you to act more wisely than I fear your choice will be. I sometimes tremble as I think of the account I have to give concerning the many thousands who crowd this place to listen to my voice.

What if my Master should say to me, at the end, “You flattered them; you tried to run with the times; you didn’t dare to preach to them the old-fashioned gospel, and to tell them of hell, and of judgment, and of atonement by blood?” No, my Master, you will never be able to say that to me. With all my faults, and weaknesses, and imperfections, I have sought to declare your truth, so far as I knew it, to men and women.

Therefore, my dear friends, I shake my clothes, free of your blood. If any one of you will reject Christ, I will have nothing to do with your damnation. Commit spiritual suicide if you will; but I will not be the murderer of your soul, nor will I act like Saul when he asked his armor-bearer to kill him. I implore you to “flee from the coming wrath.” Escape by repenting of your sins, and by believing in Jesus Christ; and do it this very moment, for you may never have another opportunity to do so. May the Lord, in his infinite mercy, grant you grace to trust in Jesus! Amen and Amen.

D

Dave L

You and many others misapply that Scripture to the Gospel, when it is speaking about the deep things of God. And you had a duty to read the sermon by Spurgeon, since you have raised a straw man in this thread. You don't want people to hear about Hell and judgment, which makes you a promoter of a false Gospel.

So here is what Spurgeon said at the end of his sermon, and I trust you will learn a lesson from him:

I used to think that, if I ever had a chance to share this wondrous story of “free grace and dying love,” everybody would believe it; but I have long since learned that the heart of man is so hard, that he will sooner be damned than be saved by Christ.

Well, you must make your choice, you must make your choice for yourselves; only do me this one favor, when you have made your choice, do not blame me for having tried to persuade you to act more wisely than I fear your choice will be. I sometimes tremble as I think of the account I have to give concerning the many thousands who crowd this place to listen to my voice.

What if my Master should say to me, at the end, “You flattered them; you tried to run with the times; you didn’t dare to preach to them the old-fashioned gospel, and to tell them of hell, and of judgment, and of atonement by blood?” No, my Master, you will never be able to say that to me. With all my faults, and weaknesses, and imperfections, I have sought to declare your truth, so far as I knew it, to men and women.

Therefore, my dear friends, I shake my clothes, free of your blood. If any one of you will reject Christ, I will have nothing to do with your damnation. Commit spiritual suicide if you will; but I will not be the murderer of your soul, nor will I act like Saul when he asked his armor-bearer to kill him. I implore you to “flee from the coming wrath.” Escape by repenting of your sins, and by believing in Jesus Christ; and do it this very moment, for you may never have another opportunity to do so. May the Lord, in his infinite mercy, grant you grace to trust in Jesus! Amen and Amen.
Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit a person must already have before they can have faith.

Reactions: Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes we know, unbelief is all over this forum....