How Were YOU Taught To Overcome Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 10:13 KJV
13) There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

This "way to escape", the word refers to a "safe harbor out of a storm".

Temptations - testing - same thing - are contrary circumstances, or felt needs, which appear to require direct action from us, but where such action would be of the flesh, and not the spirit. They are there to train us to not respond to our flesh, and instead to seek for God's solution.

The way to escape refers grammatically to a specific way that is incorporated into that particular test.

Tempation if it leads to yielding in sin, testing if it leads to trusting Jesus for the outcome.

For each temptation/test, there is a specific result God intends for us. If we choose correctly, that we advance. If we choose incorrectly, there may be a bit of correction. It's all designed with specific purpose for our good.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Word says resist evil "and sin"and it will flee from you!!! Do it now!!
It's useful to play around with the temptation to sin for a while........NOT! Lol.

As you say, doing it now is the best policy. Flirting with sin almost guarantees you'll soon fall into it. Especially sexual sin.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people will have a thought, act on it and THEN think about it. It should be, Thought-think-act...according to what God would have us do. And if we know it is sin, then we should automatically know what God says about it, then act in accordance to His commands.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's useful to play around with the temptation to sin for a while........NOT! Lol.

As you say, doing it now is the best policy. Flirting with sin almost guarantees you'll soon fall into it. Especially sexual sin.
Everyone has their own weak areas, and not everyone is the same.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so.
'Talk to the hand' is a useful technique for putting some of the less troublesome temptations in our lives away from us.
I think it's useful to recognize that tempations to sin are the voice of a dead man calling us into his death. It has nothing to do with we who live in Christ.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has their own weak areas, and not everyone is the same.

Much love!
True Marks,
There is alcohol, drugs, violent tendencies and tons of sins that can tempt one person over another. That sin "that so besets us"...not sure that verse pertains to this but, it's how I read it.
God Bless!!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people will have a thought, act on it and THEN think about it. It should be, Thought-think-act...according to what God would have us do. And if we know it is sin, then we should automatically know what God says about it, then act in accordance to His commands.
What causes me the most difficulty are the gray areas and knowing whether or not something is really a sin.

Reactions: 07-07-07 and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What causes me the most difficulty are the gray areas and knowing whether or not something is really a sin.

Oh those gray areas!!! To that, thinking it's a matter of weather your heart convicts you and, if unsure...I'd say put it on the shelf until you DO hear from Him. The below verse comes to mind:

Romans 14:23
"23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True Marks,
There is alcohol, drugs, violent tendencies and tons of sins that can tempt one person over another. That sin "that so besets us"...not sure that verse pertains to this but, it's how I read it.
God Bless!!

This "beseting sin", literally, the sin that is so good at standing all around us. In context of a race, it's like, we are running down the track, when we come to a bunch of linebackers, who have swarmed us, and we can't get past them.

Hebrews 12:1-2 KJV
1) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

We are to "lay aside" every weight and besetting sin, and instead we run, looking to Jesus.

We ignore the perception that we are surrounded by strongmen who are keeping us defeated, and instead accept on faith that Jesus is set at the right hand of God, and He will complete my faith, so I can run my race.

The truth about sins that are "besetting", or as one translation puts it, "the sin that so easily entangles us", is that this is a lie, and we are in fact free, which we will discover if we simply wait it out.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh those gray areas!!! To that, thinking it's a matter of weather your heart convicts you and, if unsure...I'd say put it on the shelf until you DO hear from Him. The below verse comes to mind:

Romans 14:23
"23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."
I think when we have learned how to be honest with ourselves, those "grey" areas resolve into black and white.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

TY.

Do you think this is true...?

Luke 5 :21
[21] And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a daily and constant conflict between the flesh and the spirit, after salvation, per Paul in many passages - we have to decide which wins, daily, and repent when we fail.

Paul says he has make the decision to subjugate his flesh daily, lest after preaching salvation to others, he end up a castaway:

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring itinto subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a CASTAWAY.

The word castaway is also ADOKIMOS in the Greek - reprobate - castaway and rejected by God.

G96 (Strong)

ἀδόκιμος

adokimos

ad-ok'-ee-mos

From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384; unapproved, that is, rejected; by implication worthless(literally or morally): - castaway, rejected, reprobate.

Total KJV occurrences: 8

Paul said he could end up a reprobate if he didn’t subjugate his flesh with its sinful desires, daily.

Albert Barnes exegetes the verse:

“The simple idea of Paul is, that he was afraid that he should be disapproved, rejected, cast off; that it would appear, after all, that he had no religion, and would then be cast away as unfit to enter into heaven”.

John Wesley also exegetes 1 Corinthians 9:27:

This single text may give us a just notion of the scriptural doctrine of election and reprobation; and clearly shows us, that particular persons are not in holy writ represented as elected absolutely and unconditionally to eternal life, or predestinated absolutely and unconditionally to eternal death; but that believers in general are elected to enjoy the Christian privileges on earth; which if they abuse, those very elect persons will become reprobate. St. Paul was certainly an elect person, if ever there was one; and yet he declares it was possible he himself might become a reprobate. Nay, he actually would have become such, if he had not thus kept his body under, even though he had been so long an elect person, a Christian, and an apostle.

Curtis, I must say I'm surprised at your answer. We are usually on the same page. Don't you know the power of being born again? We don't have to fight against the flesh, just acknowledge that it is dead (that is what Paul meant; otherwise he would be contradicting what he taught in Romans 6), and not resurrect it by willfully going against your new nature, because we are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God is within you. And if you don't have the Spirit of Christ who took away your desire to sin, you don't belong to Him. The only thing we must do that Jesus did not take away is our will to grow in the fruit of the Spirit. 2 Peter 1:5-7 says so we won't stumble is:

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

In the list of the fruit of the Spirit of Galatians 5, love is first, meaning it is the most important, but in our process of glorification, it is the last to perfect.

What is not spelled out in godliness and brotherly kindness is the act of forgiveness. It is important to realize that the only sins a born again, Spirit-filled Christian does when immature are trespasses against each other. That is why it is the only type of sin mentioned in the Lord's Prayer. Willful sins of lawlessness are not mentioned as their hold on us has already been taken away in Jesus.

Matthew 6:14-15
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TY.

Do you think this is true...?

Luke 5 :21
[21] And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

Do you remember the parable of the Shrewd Manager? Do you understand it's meaning in regard to forgiving people's debts that they owe our Master? We can't forgive the entire debt. They have to settle that with the boss. But we can forgive within the authority the Master has given us to do that.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates sin and sent Jesus to take care of this problem. How were you taught you must do to overcome sin?

In self effort I learned, through failing, I did not have the wherewithal to overcome sin and thus in time learned the best way was to trust in Jesus for the victory regardless of the circumstances.

Romans 1:17 (KJV) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

Do you remember the parable of the Shrewd Manager? Do you understand it's meaning in regard to forgiving people's debts that they owe our Master? We can't forgive the entire debt. They have to settle that with the boss. But we can forgive within the authority the Master has given us to do that.

Off on a tangent. Your response does not even MENTION SIN....

Sin is against the Lord God.
Only the Lord God paid the Price for SIN, with His Blood.
Only the Lord God forgives sin.

Isa 43:
[25] I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Luke 5:
[24] But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive men of sin?

WHERE IN Scripture, IS ANY man given Power to Forgive SIN?
Please quote that authority given to men.

Do you not RECALL, the Pharisees ACCUSED Jesus of Blasphemy FOR FORGIVING men of their SINS?
And Blasphemy Was MAKING oneself God BY A MAN FORGIVING A MAN OF SIN.

TY

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off on a tangent. Your response does not even MENTION SIN....

Sin is against the Lord God.
Only the Lord God paid the Price for SIN, with His Blood.
Only the Lord God forgives sin.

Isa 43:
[25] I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Luke 5:
[24] But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive men of sin?

WHERE IN Scripture, IS ANY man given Power to Forgive SIN?
Please quote that authority given to men.

Do you not RECALL, the Pharisees ACCUSED Jesus of Blasphemy FOR FORGIVING men of their SINS?
And Blasphemy Was MAKING oneself God BY A MAN FORGIVING A MAN OF SIN.

TY
I'm learning not to get dragged into foolish arguments like this. If those plain scriptures about forgiving others that I shared aren't enough, surely there's nothing I can say that will mean anything. Bye, bye.