How Were YOU Taught To Overcome Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By Yielding to the work of the Holy Ghost in us. The more you try to stop sinning of your own strength and will, the more you will either fail or briefly succeed only to be overcome by Spiritual sins such as pride and the religious spirit. It is through our weakness and yielding that the Holy Spirit can work in our lives. When we are broken and repent that is when He is able to do above all that we can ask or think, that we can Give him the glory, and not ourselves (Ephesians 3:20-21).

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (John 15:5)

You have the closest answer to what I believe.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But my question is “can temptation be ignored”? Resisting is not the same as ignoring, right? How does one ignore temptation, if at all temptation can be ignored?

Tong
R3972
Can you ignore a pain in your finger? It works the same way. The pain is still there, only, you've chosen to not respond. Every time it throbs, you are reminded of the pain, but you continue to choose to ignore it. Eventually it will fade from thought, until the next throb. Just keep on doing that until it heals, or whatever it does.

Temptations come when we are faced with a contrary situation, and we desire something different. Or we desire something we don't have, shouldn't have.

These are the desires of the flesh - essentially body feelings, and can be ignored, just like the pain in your finger.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Knowing you are ever so close to your loving Father, knowing that He loves you and intends for you to have joy and love and peace, knowing that He fills you with His Spirit to lead you in a good Way . . . knowing these things, determine to just "wait it out", let the feelings in the body play out. Mind the thoughts in the head, you can choose what you want to think.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. I was just thinking if there is such a thing as overcoming temptation by ignoring. And if there is, I became curious how that is.

Tong
R3976
Just to say again, yes, I think this is the best way to avoid sin, to ignore the false message which that temptation is bringing, and replace it with the true message. We don't conquer sin by our will, or our strength, but by trusting Jesus to bring us through unscathed.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the child of God does not decide daily which wins. He have already decided who wins (Good or evil) when he believed in God and in Jesus Christ.
This is the real repentance.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ignoring is suitable for "babes"...not yet mature...not yet In Christ.
Actually, I think ignoring temptation is a very mature response. Just like I ignore the car next to me blasting it's radio as I listen to my sermon. I ignore the message that would pull me into sin, while committing myself to the truth that leads to life.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates sin and sent Jesus to take care of this problem. How were you taught you must do to overcome sin?
How was I taught? Or what do I think?

I've been taught all sorts of things, but true freedom from sin is in trusting that Jesus has already made it so.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But my question is “can temptation be ignored”? Resisting is not the same as ignoring, right? How does one ignore temptation, if at all temptation can be ignored?

Tong
R3972
Hi Tong,
I do understand well what you are asking here as, I stumbled over this a while back. A promise to God years ago was to keep myself from people and places, movies, or anything that would tempt me where I would be weakest and asked Him to keep it away from me so that I would NOT be tempted. So far it has been a wonderful experience to not even want to look back! He is so faithful. So, removing ourselves from the source of the temptation and praying that He would keep it from us at least IMO, is the key.
God Bless

Reactions: marks

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16
"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

1 John 1:7
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

:)

Reactions: marks and Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I think ignoring temptation is a very mature response. Just like I ignore the car next to me blasting it's radio as I listen to my sermon. I ignore the message that would pull me into sin, while committing myself to the truth that leads to life.

Much love!

Sure, a person can roll up their windows to ignore a blasting radio from another auto, leave a restaurant, or theater, or concert, or store or home of another, or turn off the tv...
Jesus' examples were more one on one of someone trying to TEMPT you, to deal with them by not ignoring them, but commanding THEY GET behind you.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple. Ignore all temptations. There is a progression to sin and James tells you what it is.
Yes, good answer. But wanting to do that and actually doing it can be two different things, lol. Caring about people was really the key for me for having power to not sin.

Reactions: Enoch111

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Word says resist evil "and sin"and it will flee from you!!! Do it now!!
It is true.
Especially concerning sexual temptations. If you'll just hold out for a while and sit silently and humbly and honestly before God in your heart and spirit you'll see that it will leave you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' examples were more one on one of someone trying to TEMPT you, to deal with them by not ignoring them, but commanding THEY GET behind you.

Where they can be ignored . . .

;)

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Overcome evil with good.
It's often a step of faith but it is an excellent way to see the temptation to get angry, retaliate, or seek revenge drain away from you. But that's what Christians are—faith walkers. We step out in faith to see the seemingly impossible become possible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true.
Especially concerning sexual temptations. If you'll just hold out for a while and sit silently and humbly and honestly before God in your heart and spirit you'll see that it will leave you.
Really, any temptations. You just wait, don't act on them, and allow God to do what He does.

Much love!