How Were YOU Taught To Overcome Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are to forgive the person who sins against us.

Be careful with that because forgiveness ( as in us forgiving an offense) is not an unconditional mandate nor an absolute.

Jesus Himself did not "just forgive" nor will He during Judgement.

First the "category" of sin to be forgiven is of the lower level "offense' variety and even then hinged on whether the person committing the act repents ( defined as the "changed mind") because without repentance- there is no forgiveness.

How we deal with both sin and those who sin against us have to be carefully weighed in context with the applicable scripture and examples given to us to learn from.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I am glad you clearly got my point.

I think there is also a good thing resulting out from resisting temptation. We read in scriptures “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”

Tong
R3986

You got that right, I know how weak I am, but also know how strong God is. This girl don't mess with temptation! Haha! God deals with it and keeps it away, as I keep myself away.
Funny how we can sometimes think "Oh! I would NEVER give into this, or that temptation and, find that yes, yes we CAN be sorely tempted at times and, then we find just how weak we are!
Yeah, I run in the opposite direction!! :eek:

Reactions: ChristisGod

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't play theological games about sin.

Why are you AGAIN addressing me with PERSONAL ACCUSATIONS?

Clearly Scripture makes a Distinction between; Trespasses AND Sins.

Eph 2:
[1] ... trespasses AND sins;

If you can not have a civil conversation without personal accusations, do as you implied you would, and not speak to me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you guys and gals are right on it.
And of course the Holy Spirit is the key to a lot of it. The Holy Spirit will speak to our conscience.
The practice of Loving God and loving one another will reduce the sin in your life.
On the practical side of it I will say that if a person wants to reduce sin in their life it is good to look at what are really sins...biblical sins. The reason I say that, for one there are enough fake sins to make people paranoid. So many fake sins being preached that some just give up trying and develop religious beliefs that say all sin is forgiven, so don't even worry about sin.

Like I keep saying over the years so many fake sins have been made up that it turns life into a minefield of real and fake sins and you are liable to step on real sins trying to avoid fake sins. A good example is condemning and gossiping about others when there was no offense to start with because it was all about fake sins. And it is not always about condemning, sometimes it is the promulgating of false information. Bob don't go to church because he smokes and drinks beer with his barbeque and don't want people lecturing him or looking down their noses at him and his family. Linda does not go to church because she wears pants and remarried after her divorce. George and Donna left the church because they had living together for 10 years and people kept saying they were living in sin. FYI There is no biblical requirement for a wedding ceremony anywhere in the Bible...As much as I love weddings....they developed over the years as a Christian custom, and they are modeled after Pagan customs.

So the issue with sinning is not only reducing sin by knowing what is really a sin, but also not to sin by accusing others of sins that are not real. When men make up sins, they are playing God. Christ removed the burden of the Law from us, but when you make up a bunch of sins, that is the same thing as making a law....and you are back to the burden of the Law. As Christians we should try to live a sinless life....we are going to fail....but you do not even have a chance if you do not know what the real sins are.

And that would be a good topic....what are real sins?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Despite what the generic, evangelical answers being given in this thread are saying, overcoming and resisting sin is as simple as keeping God's commandments. In order to resist or overcome sin or evil, a person must know how the Bible defines what it is evil or sin in the first place. And according to the Bible definition, sin and evil is anything that violates God's commandments.
Be careful with that because forgiveness ( as in us forgiving an offense) is not an unconditional mandate nor an absolute.

Jesus Himself did not "just forgive" nor will He during Judgement.

First the "category" of sin to be forgiven is of the lower level "offense' variety and even then hinged on whether the person committing the act repents ( defined as the "changed mind") because without repentance- there is no forgiveness.

How we deal with both sin and those who sin against us have to be carefully weighed in context with the applicable scripture and examples given to us to learn from.
There is no such thing as "lower level offenses" because all sin is equally despicable to God. According to God's standard of morality, slandering somebody is just as wicked as murdering someone or committing adultery. And as far as your statement about Christ forgiving sins goes, the Bible shows you are completely wrong:

"Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”" - Matt. 9:2

“Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men." - Matt. 12:31

"Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”" - Luk. 7:48

"On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink." - Jhn 7:37

The John 7 passage should interest you, because this particular sermon Jesus gave on the last Holy Day of the sacred year was prophetic of what will occur in the Great White Throne Judgement(Matt. 10:15, 11:22, 24, 12:41-42, Rev. 20:11-13).

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as "lower level offenses" because all sin is equally despicable to God. According to God's standard of morality, slandering somebody is just as wicked as murdering someone or committing adultery. And as far as your statement about Christ forgiving sins goes, the Bible shows you are completely wrong:

No, what is shows is that you have very little understanding of what you speak. I'll fix it for you.

The term "sin" simply and only means to "fall short of a goal".

In correct application, there are "sins' in everything (personal conduct, the law, Direct instructions, performance against a goal and so forth)

You simply didn't make whatever mark.

As to the Law, a good read will show you that different infractions carried different punishments and sacrifices.

What you ( and you have plenty of company) is confusing God's view of sin ( where absolute perfection sees anything below that absolute standard as "despicable" which is in fact the "standard. We are judged against "perfection"- not against each other so none can boast)

You just need to study a little bit more and you will have it.

That however is not "the standard" on how the "law' categorizes our sin or punishes for it. (The law defines sin) It is however the standard for requiring salvation.( thus none are "good enough" of their own merit)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That however is not "the standard" on how the "law' categorizes our sin or punishes for it.
Well the Mosaic Law does not define sin for Christians.
Sin in Greek means you just missed the target with your arrow. The Apostles used the Greek word because it fit the Hebrew term which meant to miss the mark. And then the English word meaning "guilty" used for wrong doing.
If you are a Christian, Christ and the Apostles define sin, if you are a Jew the Mosaic Law defines sin. If you have an affection for "the Law" change religions because if you look to the Law for justification you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace anyway, so your work here is done.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the Mosaic Law does not define sin for Christians.
Sin in Greek means you just missed the target with your arrow. The Apostles used the Greek word because it fit the Hebrew term which meant to miss the mark. And then the English word meaning "guilty" used for wrong doing.
If you are a Christian, Christ and the Apostles define sin, if you are a Jew the Mosaic Law defines sin. If you have an affection for "the Law" change religions because if you look to the Law for justification you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace anyway, so your work here is done.

The law defines sin- then and now and it defines sin for Christians too.

Christians however are not under the jurisdiction of the law but grace through the sacrifice of Jesus (He met the requirements under said law as a fulfillment so He stood for us)

Hope that cleared it up for you in proper context.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law defines sin- then and now and it defines sin for Christians too.
So are you planning on selling your daughter as a sex slave in accordance with the Law.
Maybe multiple wives and concubines in accordance with the Law.
Do you separate your cows by color?
Now give me number....how many scriptures do you want to prove that Christians are not under the law nor should we observe them. Number please!

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you planning on selling your daughter as a sex slave in accordance with the Law.
Maybe multiple wives and concubines in accordance with the Law.
Now give me number....how many scriptures do you want to prove that Christians are not under the law nor should we observe them. Number please!

If you are capable of the most basic of reading comprehension, read up. I said exactly that.

As to "keeping the Law" ( not the ceremonial law) but we are to follow the law as a measure- nowhere in any scripture is anarchy or "personal choice' a standard of conduct.

After all, "sin" is defined against something and care to guess what that something is?

Jesus came to FULFILL the law ( That heaven and earth will pass away before one jot or tittle of the Law) thing.

You need to do some legitimate study and contextual reading to clear those things up.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are capable of the most basic of reading comprehension, read up. I said exactly that.

As to "keeping the Law" ( not the ceremonial law) but we are to follow the law as a measure- nowhere in any scripture is anarchy or "personal choice' a standard of conduct.

After all, "sin" is defined against something and care to guess what that something is?

Jesus came to FULFILL the law ( That heaven and earth will pass away before one jot or tittle of the Law) thing.

You need to do some legitimate study and contextual reading to clear those things up.
You funny!
Again we do not follow "the Law"
And Christ did fulfill the law.
And heaven and earth will pass away before one jot or tittle of the Law will pass or change...it is still in affect for the Jews. Where Christians violate "the Law" is when they take ten of them to post in their churches....bad jew jew. This is the humorous side of it, most Christians and I do mean most Christians that talk about obeying or observing "the Law" do not know the 613 Mosaic Laws or even the concepts. You cannot change them, you cannot subdivide them. The ten laws that Christians call the Ten Commandments (and there were 14) were not the Laws that God called the Ten Commandments and instructed Moses to write on the Two Tablets of the Testimony. The ten laws spoke by God in chapter 20 of Exodus was a summery of laws, the details of which are in the body of the 613 Mosaic Laws, and good part of the ten are not compatible with Christian morals.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates sin and sent Jesus to take care of this problem. How were you taught you must do to overcome sin?
With Scripture:

Luke 4
1) Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2) where for forty days he was tempted a by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

3) The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”

4) Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’”

5) The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6) And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7) If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8) Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”

9) The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10) For it is written:

“ ‘He will command his angels concerning you

to guard you carefully;

11) they will lift you up in their hands,

so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

12) Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

So shall they fear The name of the LORD from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him.
(Isaiah 59:19)
Scripture has creative power to overcome temptation:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

Hi, CLady! :)

Reactions: CharismaticLady

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what is shows is that you have very little understanding of what you speak. I'll fix it for you.

The term "sin" simply and only means to "fall short of a goal".

In correct application, there are "sins' in everything (personal conduct, the law, Direct instructions, performance against a goal and so forth)

You simply didn't make whatever mark.

As to the Law, a good read will show you that different infractions carried different punishments and sacrifices.

What you ( and you have plenty of company) is confusing God's view of sin ( where absolute perfection sees anything below that absolute standard as "despicable" which is in fact the "standard. We are judged against "perfection"- not against each other so none can boast)

You just need to study a little bit more and you will have it.

That however is not "the standard" on how the "law' categorizes our sin or punishes for it. (The law defines sin) It is however the standard for requiring salvation.( thus none are "good enough" of their own merit)
You have a keen mind but your tone is very condescending. Welcome to the forum! :)

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ou funny!
Again we do not follow "the Law"
And Christ did fulfill the law.
And heaven and earth will pass away before one jot or tittle of the Law will pass or change...it is still in affect for the Jews. Where Christians violate "the Law" is when they take ten of them to post in their churches....bad jew jew. This is the humorous side of it, most Christians and I do mean most Christians that talk about obeying or observing "the Law" do not know the 613 Mosaic Laws or even the concepts. You cannot change them, you cannot subdivide them. The ten laws that Christians call the Ten Commandments (and there were 14) were not the Laws that God called the Ten Commandments and instructed Moses to write on the Two Tablets of the Testimony. The ten laws spoke by God in chapter 20 of Exodus was a summery of laws, the details of which are in the body of the 613 Mosaic Laws, and good part of the ten are not compatible with Christian morals.

You ramble a lot and your lack of understanding seems to be as wide as it is long based on this.

Do you even understand what you are trying to say?

What are these "Christian morals' you speak of?

Do you even understand who and what a "Jew" is in Scripture? ( more than one proper definition)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
KJV 2 Peter 1:1-9
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ramble a lot and your lack of understanding seems to be as wide as it is long based on this.

Do you even understand what you are trying to say?

What are these "Christian morals' you speak of?

Do you even understand who and what a "Jew" is in Scripture? ( more than one proper definition)

Well if you read the New Testament you will get an education on Christian morals.
If you read the Old Testament you will find out the lineage of the Jewish people.
I am going to put you on ignore now because I am not going to let you make me get rude.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you read the New Testament you will get an education on Christian morals.
If you read the Old Testament you will find out the lineage of the Jewish people.
I am going to put you on ignore now because I am not going to let you make me get rude.

I have a detailed knowledge of both now stop waffling and answer the question or go run and hide. The guilty do flee where none pursue and the righteous stand fast as the lion. So run along if your position is that weak- you wouldn't like the outcome anyway.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With Scripture:

Luke 4
1) Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2) where for forty days he was tempted a by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

3) The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”

4) Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’”

5) The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6) And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7) If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8) Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”

9) The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10) For it is written:

“ ‘He will command his angels concerning you

to guard you carefully;

11) they will lift you up in their hands,

so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

12) Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

So shall they fear The name of the LORD from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him.
(Isaiah 59:19)
Scripture has creative power to overcome temptation:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

Hi, CLady! :)

You know, I was just thinking about this passage earlier today and wondered if Jesus drank anything. I see that it was only food. Thanks for posting my answer. LOL

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This forum having an option for discussion...
IS advantageous.
Men having the inability to discuss A POINT, stay on POINT, is a repeated FAILURE.
( personally, I see the failure as a failure, Because many men, know what they believe, know their opinion, but do not KNOW, WHY, they believe what they believe, and thus, the conversation turns wayward, to accusing, namecalling, deflection and worthless.)
Very well stated!

Much love!

Reactions: Taken